Just noticed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes I think a lot of the contention that comes on boards like this is because people 'think' so very differently. We spend so much time and frustration chasing a thought around and around, and in the end, still come out not really sure what we've been talking about...do we agree...do we disagree...were we even talking about the same thing??

It's because most tend to assume the mantle of "teacher," something scripture doesn't really advise doing, but gets ignored anyway (James 3:1). If there were more of simply asking questions from one another, that might go a long ways towards making things a little more tolerable.
And...well...loving others as we love ourselves. That is a somewhat tricky proposition, is it not? Some people love themselves, but others are excessively hard on themselves!

Yes. The golden rule is actually more complicated than appears on the surface, because in order to do unto others as we would have them do unto us, this means truly looking deeply into their character like we would want them to look deeply into ours if they would treat us in a way we would respond best to. It takes a lot of work really studying the personalities sometimes.... we can and should ask for the leading of the Holy Spirit on how to respond to someone as well, if we know how to hear His voice...

But yes, either way it is usually somewhat complicated.

Last edited:

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Maybe it is just me, but I think that it is a pity there are buts here..I think this is the wrong thread for them really...this I thought was a thread for encouragements and uplifts, different from the usual run of the mill threads...not so much for questions and doubts....but maybe I am wrong and it is 'just another thread'... just like all the others. Oh well, at least Aspen tried.

See...this right here is why I felt I had to do a "but". You say "love everyone"...that it's just that simple. Right? But when someone steps forward with a concern...and that's what it was. A very honest concern to try and say that I worry that people at times value "love" more than what God actually calls us to, which is a combination. And to be honest still...it wasn't easy bringing that concern here, because clearly the thread was focused against those of us who do see "buts".
Did I say love was wrong? No. So, I can't say I was raining on your parade, I was just hoping to highlight the need to see that the bible, and therefore God himself, says and is more than just love. And having pointed that out, I was happy to join in the chorus that love does, indeed, play a massive part of Christianity! Oh boy, does it!
And in return, I get a comment, that quite frankly tells me to take my concern elsewhere. Love, is it? Really Grace...do you practice what you preach? Or are you just wanting what you want, where you want it?
I'm sorry for having my own ideas and feelings, and for being concerned about the name and renown of God. Indeed...I shall take them from this thread.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe, just like the gospel itself...people have 'made' things much more complicated than it is.

If we start at "God is Love"...and go from there...as we stay in Him, we will love..we will love and be lovers, because His life is flowing through us...it is not 'us' that have to struggle to find out what love is or make it complex.

Love just IS, because God is.

Agree..we don't want this thread to 'go sideways' and end up like every other thread.
This is a thread to 'add to' , not distract from. :)
==============================

@brakelite
Post #22 a nice post....So you do have a heart after all ;)

And yes, if you weren't raised on Winnie the Pooh and Piglet...you had a deprived childhood ...and if you didn't read the books to your kids and grandkids...they were deprived too :D

Have a good day! I am off and running again today...later....H

Hey Helen, I was also a deprived one as a teenager or younger. The closest I came to knowing who Pooh and Christopher Robin were was from the words of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in 1971 with a song called the House of Pooh Corner. I loved the tune although I did not have a clue what they were talking about...I though they created the lyrics while on dope....:confused:o_O

APAK

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If Jesus Christ were here in person today as He was 2,000 years ago, there's no doubt in my mind that papists would be calling for Him to be condemned as anathema.

I don't think that is called for in this thread...there are plenty of threads where you can and have posted that...and everyone on this Site already knows your feelings . You are being unkind to deliberately upset and hijack this thread just to get another dig in.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hmmmmm, the love thing! Yeah, when I hear lengthy sessions on love I cringe. Love to me is delivery not words. Sure, words have their place but on and on about love or using the talk of love to justify oneself is like the smoke screen that is a necessity because the reality doesn't exist.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If there were more of simply asking questions from one another, that might go a long ways towards making things a little more tolerable.
Questions require answers, so sooner or later the answers have to be produced out of Scripture.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Questions require answers, so sooner or later the answers have to be produced out of Scripture.

Ok, I agree with you. But the point is this: If we are asking questions of the other person, we present ourselves as at least potentially willing to consider their point of view, what they believe, and why. If we are in the habit of only telling others what we believe, it suggests to them that we have no interest in what they think. We only want them to believe what we do. Isn't that correct?

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Yes. The golden rule is actually more complicated than appears on the surface, because in order to do unto others as we would have them do unto us, this means truly looking deeply into their character like we would want them to look deeply into ours if they would treat us in a way we would respond best to. It takes a lot of work really studying the personalities sometimes
ha the Abarim guy says this too, i wasn't really able to relate it to many encounters, chance or passing ones especially? But interesting that he makes the same argument

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
it is touched on in these, but down lower somewhere a direct quote along the same lines is made
The greatest blunder

The suffering servant

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and fwiw i like the idea in principle, just not sure how it might be applied to some/many instances

Well, it's tricky. Let's say you have someone who really lays it on the line, a straight-shooter type. When they disagree with something they give it to them straight even if that sounds harsh and abrasive, because their ultimate love is for the truth, and they long for that so greatly that they don't allow personal feelings to interfere with saying what needs to be said.

Then you have the type who is extremely considerate of people's feelings; the emotional and empathic type who is careful not to offend anyone. He loves the truth, but he also has an exceedingly great love for people, and will be delicate in the way he administers the truth when he disagrees with someone.

What would each of these personalities desire from the other in a debate? The first would want the second to just spit it out and stop worrying about his "feelings" in the matter, so the second would need to alter his responses accordingly and just come out with it, straight and to the point. The second, however, would want the first not to respond to him like a pompous jerk, and maybe be a little more tactful and respectful in his responses i.e. use some sensitivity.

This is a classic case in point. I could list a bunch more, but I find studying people's personalities fascinating, because they do indeed differ greatly from person to person, so I try not to judge one as being "right" and the other "wrong." I let people be themselves (within limits) and act accordingly. There are those who unfortunately are way over the top whose behavior should not be excused - the highly contentious types - but that is a different story.

I still need to look up your suggestions, btw. Sort of doing a bunch of stuff right now.

Blessings, and thanks for the response!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think that is called for in this thread...there are plenty of threads where you can and have posted that...and everyone on this Site already knows your feelings . You are being unkind to deliberately upset and hijack this thread just to get another dig in.
Oh, this thread is a liberal "safe-space" reserved for Catholics and their selectively outraged liberal sympathizers to talk about love, peace, and those "jerks" who oppose their unBiblical beliefs. Got it.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
No Scripture, here! where you can know there are, this, unkind, you's and your's feelings.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Isa 52 6-10

6 "Therefore my people shall know My name: therefore they shall know in that day that I am He that doth speak: behold, it is I.
7 How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
8 Thy watchmen shall lift up the voice; with the voice together shall they sing: for they shall see eye to eye, when the Lord shall bring again Zion.
9 Break forth into joy, sing together, ye waste places of Jerusalem: for the Lord hath comforted His people, He hath redeemed Jerusalem.
10 The Lord hath made bare His holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God."

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Scripture, here!
"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth (like when Aspen calls those with whom Aspen disagrees "jerks"), but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29 KJV