King James Version

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

archaeologist5

Mar 3, 2011
No one to my knowledge has argued the English transliteration of Jesus from the Hebrew word Yeshua, it is your incorrect statement that "actual Hebrew word for Jesus is Joshua".

read the website.

the topic is the king james version, a work that was compiled, translated by well qualified scholars who trump any qualification presented by some on this forum and who have been used by God to make His word more accesible for the common people.

private translations do not over-rule what God has already done and did not correct in subsequent works done by scholars who have faith in God. to worry about a letter in a word reminds me of the verse found in 1 tim. 6: 4. one cannot just study an ancient langage and then think they know it all or how God wants His word translated.

knowledge of the rules of translation is a must and one must really be lead of God and haveit confirmed before they make any changes to any translation/version. those of us with a little time under our belts know that worrying about a letter is not important because it does not change the message of the Bible nor any of its teachings.

to focus on such things means one wants to cause trouble and dissension in the body of Christ. those of us whohave studied greek and hebrew know what is or isn't present but there are rules to follow which makes the translated passage easier to read, comprehend without changing the context or the message.

i would illustrate but this keyboard doesn't function outside of the english language.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Hey Rubber Ducky:

Before you die, listen to Psalms 8 sung in Hebrew. http://wn.com/Psalm_8_sung_in_Hebrew

BEAUTIFUL SONG, BEAUTIFUL LANGUAGE.

I hope you learn the Hebrew and Greek.

In His Name,

charlesj

Tis very nice, thanks for posting it CharlesJ, some years back I was at a pastors retreat up north and during one of our meetings several prayed in their native tongue, one prayed in Hebrew, it was wonderful.

charlesj

Sep 13, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Tis very nice, thanks for posting it CharlesJ, some years back I was at a pastors retreat up north and during one of our meetings several prayed in their native tongue, one prayed in Hebrew, it was wonderful.

Hi jiggyfly:

Yes it is a beautiful song especially since its one of the psalms. I loved it.

Wish I could sing that way. I tried it one time and everybody left the building and the minister asked me to NEVER do that again. LOL

Christ's Love,

charlesj

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Hi tomwebster:

I also use the Greek and Hebrew, but many can't. I suggest that they look at least four translations if they are doing a study on a particular subject/word.

I studied Greek at Texas Tech University while working on my EE degree. Also, I took Hebrew & Greek in Bible College.

May the Lord be with you,

charlesj

So cj, do you have a Doctorate or Masters in Electrical Engineering?

charlesj

Sep 13, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
So cj, do you have a Doctorate or Masters in Electrical Engineering?

Hello Tomwebster:

No, in my senior year at TT IBM hired me. I went on a project with IBM, quit TT, never
looked back and never regretted it. (I spent 4 years at TT, learned a lot and never thought it was a waster of time)

I retired from IBM in 2005.

May the Lord be with us,

charlesj

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Hello Tomwebster:

No, in my senior year at TT IBM hired me. I went on a project with IBM, quit TT, never
looked back and never regretted it. (I spent 4 years at TT, learned a lot and never thought it was a waster of time)

I retired from IBM in 2005.

May the Lord be with us,

charlesj

Great, I was just curious, I am semi-retired myself.

charlesj

Sep 13, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Great, I was just curious, I am semi-retired myself.

Well, at least you work a little. I don't do NOTHING...lol... I walk four miles six days a week. This morning I most likely walked five miles becasue I went a different route.

I go to the shooting range with another Marine once a month. We shoot our pistols sometimes and then sometimes use our rifles.

My wife (Crystal) and I normally go to the beach every year. Last year we had planned on staying five months, but some personal problems came up and we only stayed three months. This year we are leaving in June and plan on staying until around September or October. We stay at Mustang Isalnd State Park as "hosts."
As a "host" we stay free. She works 12 hours a week and I also work 12 hours and the rest of the time we fish or whatever we want. Last year we caught a lot of fish. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/mustang_island/

I have a fifth wheel trailer 35' long. It's really nice. I purchased it new about a year and a half ago.

May the Lord be with us,

charlesj

dan p

Mar 26, 2009

Is KJV good or bad and why? I'll tell you what I think after I get some answers.
cool.gif

Hi RD ,

#1 , Translations are not inspired .

#2 , There is NOT Double Inspiration in the English langague or FOR translators .

#3 , I perfer the KJV .

#4 , i beleive that the KJV is more of a revision than translation .

#5 , There are many who are KJV only . .

#6 , All can see , that Rom 1:4 , left out this words , " Jesus Christ the Lord " , which are in the Original Text , dan p

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
Which original text are you looking at, dp?

Hi tw , and you know that there are only copies and a friend of mine pointed it out to me ,

I have the Interlinear Bible , TR and an old KJV and the KJV left out " Jesus Christ the Lord , dan p

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Hi tw , and you know that there are only copies and a friend of mine pointed it out to me ,

I have the Interlinear Bible , TR and an old KJV and the KJV left out " Jesus Christ the Lord , dan p

It depends on which New Testament manuscript was used, Majority Text (Textus Receptus) or Minority Text (Alexandrian Text).

the stranger

Mar 12, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
This is in no way shape or form trying to discredit the KJV, but I did find this site to be interesting. There are many Christians out there that hold the KJV as the original scrolls. For me, I too use every method that God has put at my service.

Regarding one view and info on the KJV Why I Do Not Think the King James Bible Is the Best Translation Available Today | Bible.org - Worlds Largest Bible Study Site

I often use Biblos.com: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages for my research, as it shows almost anything you want to know about a word or phrase. A very good sight.

God bless

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
This is in no way shape or form trying to discredit the KJV, but I did find this site to be interesting. There are many Christians out there that hold the KJV as the original scrolls. For me, I too use every method that God has put at my service.

Regarding one view and info on the KJV Why I Do Not Think the King James Bible Is the Best Translation Available Today | Bible.org - Worlds Largest Bible Study Site

I often use Biblos.com: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages for my research, as it shows almost anything you want to know about a word or phrase. A very good sight.

God bless

Very good article, a very good book on the KJV bible is "In The Beginning" by Alister McGrath, thanks for the link too.
smile.gif

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
This is the one that gets plenty of use in modern day.

Hope nobody minds if it is not KJV or Greek.

約 翰 福 音 3:16

[sup]16[/sup] 「 神 愛 世 人 , 甚 至 將 他 的 獨 生 子 賜 給 他 們 , 叫 一 切 信 他 的 , 不 至 滅 亡 , 反 得 永 生 。

It seems to work just fine.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would love to learn Hebrew! That would be a goal of mine before I die.

Here is a good place to start.

http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html

Here is John 3:16 by the way in the original 1611 version. I bet people fussed when they re-translated it in 1769.

John 3:16
Viewing the 1611 King James Version

For God so loued ye world, that he gaue his only begotten Sonne: that whosoeuer beleeueth in him, should not perish, but haue euerlasting life.

KingdomCome

Sep 13, 2010
When I studied the English Language extant (as English was coming to the fore) in the time of King James, e.g., three years in England studying Shakespeare, I found the KJV to be an excellent translation of that English language. BTW, many of those in the Shakespearean company were involved in the translation — many of them were linguistic scholars — there is lots of Bible in the plays of Shakespeare.

Read:

The Men Behind the King James Version
This might help...a good start that might encourage you to seek out the truth concerning English in the time of the KJV.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Is KJV good or bad and why? I'll tell you what I think after I get some answers.
cool.gif

I like the words of Jesus how it is in red to show who is speaking.
But find it's words to archaic for today's English but it's good to see them. even if our English language is only a vague sort of rubbish type of gibber that can be misinterpreted so easily.

charlesj

Sep 13, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Very good article, a very good book on the KJV bible is "In The Beginning" by Alister McGrath, thanks for the link too.
smile.gif

Hello jigglfly:
I purchased the book. It's really great so far. I am about half way through it. A thought came to my mine. The book mentions a lot about Luther and the Germans.

After Luther translated the Catholic Bible (Latin) into German it didn't take the Germans long to start calling themselves "Lutherans" did it? Of course this has NEVER stopped. Today we have over 33,000 denominations.

Paul would turn over in his grave if he knew what has happened since he left. (I know he is in heaven, just a phrase, "turn over in his grave.")

1Cor.1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfected together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been signified unto me concerning you, my brethren, by them that are of the household of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I mean, that each one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
"I am of Luther..., I am of Baptist, I am of xxxxxx"

Today we have many divisions among the church (assemblies).

Just a thought.
charlesj

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello jigglfly:
I purchased the book. It's really great so far. I am about half way through it. A thought came to my mine. The book mentions a lot about Luther and the Germans.

After Luther translated the Catholic Bible (Latin) into German it didn't take the Germans long to start calling themselves "Lutherans" did it? Of course this has NEVER stopped. Today we have over 33,000 denominations.

Paul would turn over in his grave if he knew what has happened since he left. (I know he is in heaven, just a phrase, "turn over in his grave.")

1Cor.1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfected together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been signified unto me concerning you, my brethren, by them that are of the household of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I mean, that each one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
"I am of Luther..., I am of Baptist, I am of xxxxxx"

Today we have many divisions among the church (assemblies).

Just a thought.
charlesj

Referring to the seven churches as church ages...

http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/13598-the-seven-church-ages-per-gods-word/

I think the denominational thing came about as churches made the trek from hot to lukewarm to cold. When that happens look for people to search for a way out. In this age I see people starting their own independent churches.

IChing2.gif