King James Version

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Hello jigglfly:
I purchased the book. It's really great so far. I am about half way through it. A thought came to my mine. The book mentions a lot about Luther and the Germans.

After Luther translated the Catholic Bible (Latin) into German it didn't take the Germans long to start calling themselves "Lutherans" did it? Of course this has NEVER stopped. Today we have over 33,000 denominations.

Paul would turn over in his grave if he knew what has happened since he left. (I know he is in heaven, just a phrase, "turn over in his grave.")

1Cor.1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfected together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been signified unto me concerning you, my brethren, by them that are of the household of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I mean, that each one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
"I am of Luther..., I am of Baptist, I am of xxxxxx"

Today we have many divisions among the church (assemblies).

Just a thought.
charlesj

Very good point Charles, tis a good example of what can happen when we look to something or someone other than HolySpirit to lead us. Of course Luther never referred to his ministry as the reformation, that came latter by the religious thinkers.I think Luther would probably role over in his grave also.

I am glad you are reading the book and really looking forward to discussing it more with you but don't want to spoil any of it for you, so please let me know when you are finished reading it. Look forward to your input and appraisal.
smile.gif

charlesj

Sep 13, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Very good article, a very good book on the KJV bible is "In The Beginning" by Alister McGrath, thanks for the link too.
smile.gif

Hello jiggyfly:

I finally finished the book “In the Beginning.’ (The book on the KJV) by Alister McGrath.

Overall I really enjoyed the writing of Alister McGrath. Here is more information on McGrath: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alister_McGrath

He has written many books and is very educated. I really respect the guy.

At one time he was an atheist.

I sure learned a lot of facts about the KJV and othertranslations from this book. I knew theverses and chapter divisions happened around 1551. I didn’t know it was Robert Whittinghamtranslation that started all this. (pages117,119)

I didn’t’ know the KJV translators had the assumption thatthe Greek they were translating from was classical Greek instead of the KoineGreek. These translators of the kingwere not aware that the Greek they were translating was the “language of thestreet people” of that time. (p.238)

I do know that Alexander the Great conquered that area of Judea and his troops spoke the dialect of Koine Greek,not classical Greek.

Also, Erasmus produced a printed Greek text in 1516 (from a 10[sup]th[/sup] century copy). This 10[sup]th[/sup] century copy is known as the“textus receptus” (received copy) and is the earliest known Greek at the timeof the 1611 version of the KJV.

McGrath points out that the reason the KJV translators had to followthe “Bishop’s Bible” is by the directions written by the king. As a matter of fact it almost makes you “dizzy”to try and follow which bible the KJV followed. I know they followed the Bishop’s bible andthe 10[sup]th[/sup] century Greek, but the Bishop’s followed the Great Bible of1539 and the Great Bible followed (came from) Coverdale’s Revision of Matthew’sBible which was a revision of Tyndale’s translation. WOW!! Make you dizzy? LOL

According to McGrath, study after study shows that the bulkof Tyndale’s translation has been incorporated indirectly into the KJV onaccount of the instructions the translators had to follow. (pages 269,279)

What surprised me was the “authorized” version was printedin America. I always thought it was printed first inEngland. (p. 298)

There is a lot more I could say that I learned about theKJV, but I would like to hear you.

May the Lord be with us as we study His Word,

charlesj

p.s. I purchased my copy of “In the Beginning” fromAmazon.com for $2.47 plus shipping of 3.99. It was sold as a “used copy,” but it was innew shape. It was a hardcover copy.

predestine

Apr 9, 2011
King James Version - History
In 1604, King James I of England authorized that a new translation of the Bible into English be started. It was finished in 1611, just 85 years after the first translation of the New Testament into English appeared (Tyndale, 1526). In the preface to the 1611 edition, the translators of the Authorized Version, or King James Version, state that is was not their purpose “to make a new translation . . . but to make a good one better.” The King JamesVersion quickly became the standard for English-speaking Protestants. Its flowing language and prose rhythms have had a profound influence on the literature of the past 400 years.

King James Version - Translation method
The King James translation was done by 47 scholars, all of whom were members of the Church of England. In common with most other translations of the period, the New Testament was translated from the Textus Receptus (Received Text) series of the Greek texts. The Old Testament was translated from the Masoretic Hebrew text, while the Apocrypha were translated from the Greek Septuagint (LXX), except for 2 Esdras, which was translated from the Latin Vulgate. In 1769, the Oxford edition, which excluded the Apocrypha, became the standard text and is the text which is reproduced almost unchanged in most current printings.

King James Version - Pro’s and Con’s
For nearly four hundred years, and through several revisions of the original, the King James Version has been deeply revered by English-speaking peoples worldwide, not only for the precision of the translation from the original languages, but for the beauty and majesty of the style, which has greatly influenced dramatic literature and poetry for centuries.

Unfortunately, much avoidable dissension among Christians occurs about the use of the King James Version. While many people claim that the KJV is the only “true” translation, rarely are they actually in possession of the 1611 Authorized Version of the KJV. Rather, they have the more readable 1769 version. The difference between the two becomes clear when comparing passages from the two versions. For example, 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 in the 1611 version is as follows:

“Though I speake with the tongues of men & of Angels, and haue not charity, I am become as sounding brasse or a tinkling cymbal. And though I haue the gift of prophesie, and vnderstand all mysteries and all knowledge: and though I haue all faith, so that I could remooue mountaines, and haue no charitie, I am nothing. And though I bestowe all my goods to feede the poore, and though I giue my body to bee burned, and haue not charitie, it profiteth me nothing.”

The 1769 version, on the other hand, is much more readable and understandable:

“Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.”

Furthermore, in addition to the more readable character of the 1769 edition, further translations into modern English have proved invaluable for millions. Modern translations such as the New King James Version, the Modern King James Version, and the 21st Century King James Version have removed the confusing “thee’s” and “thou’s” and “eth” verb endings, while still remaining true to the texts and retaining the beauty of the language.

King James Version - Sample Verses
John 1:1,14 – “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.”

John 3:16 – “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

John 8:58 – “Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.”

Ephesians 2:8-9 – “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.”

Titus 2:13 – “Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;”

http://www.gotquestions.org.

charlesj

Sep 13, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
King James Version - History
In 1604, King James I of England authorized that a new translation of the Bible into English be started. It was finished in 1611, just 85 years after the first translation of the New Testament into English appeared (Tyndale, 1526). In the preface to the 1611 edition, the translators of the Authorized Version, or King James Version, state that is was not their purpose “to make a new translation . . . but to make a good one better.” The King JamesVersion quickly became the standard for English-speaking Protestants. Its flowing language and prose rhythms have had a profound influence on the literature of the past 400 years.

King James Version - Translation method
The King James translation was done by 47 scholars, all of whom were members of the Church of England. In common with most other translations of the period, the New Testament was translated from the Textus Receptus (Received Text) series of the Greek texts. The Old Testament was translated from the Masoretic Hebrew text, while the Apocrypha were translated from the Greek Septuagint (LXX), except for 2 Esdras, which was translated from the Latin Vulgate. In 1769, the Oxford edition, which excluded the Apocrypha, became the standard text and is the text which is reproduced almost unchanged in most current printings.

King James Version - Pro’s and Con’s
For nearly four hundred years, and through several revisions of the original, the King James Version has been deeply revered by English-speaking peoples worldwide, not only for the precision of the translation from the original languages, but for the beauty and majesty of the style, which has greatly influenced dramatic literature and poetry for centuries.

Unfortunately, much avoidable dissension among Christians occurs about the use of the King James Version. While many people claim that the KJV is the only “true” translation, rarely are they actually in possession of the 1611 Authorized Version of the KJV. Rather, they have the more readable 1769 version. The difference between the two becomes clear when comparing passages from the two versions. For example, 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 in the 1611 version is as follows:

“Though I speake with the tongues of men & of Angels, and haue not charity, I am become as sounding brasse or a tinkling cymbal. And though I haue the gift of prophesie, and vnderstand all mysteries and all knowledge: and though I haue all faith, so that I could remooue mountaines, and haue no charitie, I am nothing. And though I bestowe all my goods to feede the poore, and though I giue my body to bee burned, and haue not charitie, it profiteth me nothing.”

The 1769 version, on the other hand, is much more readable and understandable:

“Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.”

Furthermore, in addition to the more readable character of the 1769 edition, further translations into modern English have proved invaluable for millions. Modern translations such as the New King James Version, the Modern King James Version, and the 21st Century King James Version have removed the confusing “thee’s” and “thou’s” and “eth” verb endings, while still remaining true to the texts and retaining the beauty of the language.

King James Version - Sample Verses
John 1:1,14 – “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.”

John 3:16 – “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

John 8:58 – “Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.”

Ephesians 2:8-9 – “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.”

Titus 2:13 – “Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;”

http://www.gotquestions.org.

Hello predestine:

Thanks for your post. Interesting.

What Bible do you use? I use the NAS as my main study bible.

May the Lord bless us as we study His Word,

charlesj

predestine

Apr 9, 2011
Hello predestine:

Thanks for your post. Interesting.

What Bible do you use? I use the NAS as my main study bible.

May the Lord bless us as we study His Word,

charlesj

Hello Charles. I'm sure you found the post Interesting.. probably alot you could debate about..
I have always used the KJV, however I do have a NKJV that I use sometimes.
I look foward to talking w/you..
~Be Blessed~

TheWarIs1

Dec 11, 2009
As long as you don't fall for the following line
the KJV is God's inspired words as preserved without error
If you are aware that it Isn't a perfect translation and there probably isn't a perfect translation then the KJV is a great version for studying.
it's best to use a good concordance to view original Hebrew and Aramaic words when possible
For the NT I like to check the Aramaic Pesh-itta when I can.

I do not believe either Greek version is the perfect translations either.
I happen to believe the primacy of the NT scripture is the Aramaic Peshi-tta and was written by men who spoke Aramaic and spoke to a mostly Aramaic speaking audience.

www.Peshi-tta.org (remove -)
You can view plenty of evidence for the Peshi-tta being the primacy at the above website forum.

Many Aramaic idioms are used commonly in the Pesh-itta and lost in the Greek translations proving the Primacy of the NT Aramaic scripture.

Shlama/Shälom

predestine

Apr 9, 2011
As long as you don't fall for the following line

If you are aware that it Isn't a perfect translation and there probably isn't a perfect translation then the KJV is a great version for studying.
it's best to use a good concordance to view original Hebrew and Aramaic words when possible
For the NT I like to check the Aramaic Pesh-itta when I can.

I do not believe either Greek version is the perfect translations either.
I happen to believe the primacy of the NT scripture is the Aramaic Peshi-tta and was written by men who spoke Aramaic and spoke to a mostly Aramaic speaking audience.

www.Peshi-tta.org (remove -)
You can view plenty of evidence for the Peshi-tta being the primacy at the above website forum.

Many Aramaic idioms are used commonly in the Pesh-itta and lost in the Greek translations proving the Primacy of the NT Aramaic scripture.

Shlama/Shälom

AGREE, however I feel that it IS the BEST of all other translations. Especially the "NEWER VERSIONS" today...

Just my thoughts....

TheWarIs1

Dec 11, 2009
AGREE, however I feel that it IS the BEST of all other translations. Especially the "NEWER VERSIONS" today...

Just my thoughts....
The Young's literal translation is really good because it tried to use exact translations of the original words and it does not use the word HELL which was not in the original scripture..
The it is as close as possible in my opinion.

Mat 10:28 `And be not afraid of those killing the body, and are not able to kill the soul, but fear rather Him who is able both soul and body to destroy in gehenna. (Hell = KJV )

The Murdock and Lamsa translations are based on the Aramaic Peshi-tta but they tried to follow along with KJV so it would not confuse those familiar with KJ.
Murdock is closer to the real Peshi-tta

E-sword.net has a free down loadable electronic bible with most modern English versions plus Murdock and Youngs literal versions.
You can see all versions side by side. And it's 100% free >>>> a view of all the bibles available
It has many commentaries and study guides available.

tis a great study tool

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
The Young's literal translation is really good because it tried to use exact translations of the original words and it does not use the word HELL which was not in the original scripture..
The it is as close as possible in my opinion.

Matthew 3:12 (YLT)
[sup]12 [/sup]whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly cleanse his floor, and will gather his wheat to the storehouse, but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.'

Matthew 7:18-20 (YLT)
[sup]18 [/sup]A good tree is not able to yield evil fruits, nor a bad tree to yield good fruits. [sup]19 [/sup]Every tree not yielding good fruit is cut down and is cast to fire: [sup]20 [/sup]therefore from their fruits ye shall know them.

Matthew 13:40-42 (YLT)
[sup]40 [/sup]`As, then, the darnel is gathered up, and is burned with fire, so shall it be in the full end of this age, [sup]41 [/sup]the Son of Man shall send forth his messengers, and they shall gather up out of his kingdom all the stumbling-blocks, and those doing the unlawlessness, [sup]42 [/sup]and shall cast them to the furnace of the fire; there shall be the weeping and the gnashing of the teeth.

Mark 9:43-48 (YLT)
[sup]43 [/sup]`And if thy hand may cause thee to stumble, cut it off; it is better for thee maimed to enter into the life, than having the two hands, to go away to the gehenna, to the fire--the unquenchable-- [sup]44 [/sup]where there worm is not dying, and the fire is not being quenched. [sup]45 [/sup]`And if thy foot may cause thee to stumble, cut it off; it is better for thee to enter into the life lame, than having the two feet to be cast to the gehenna, to the fire--the unquenchable-- [sup]46 [/sup]where there worm is not dying, and the fire is not being quenched. [sup]47 [/sup]And if thine eye may cause thee to stumble, cast it out; it is better for thee one-eyed to enter into the reign of God, than having two eyes, to be cast to the gehenna of the fire-- [sup]48 [/sup]where their worm is not dying, and the fire is not being quenched;

Luke 16:19-26 (YLT)
[sup]19 [/sup]`And--a certain man was rich, and was clothed in purple and fine linen, making merry sumptuously every day, [sup]20 [/sup]and there was a certain poor man, by name Lazarus, who was laid at his porch, full of sores, [sup]21 [/sup]and desiring to be filled from the crumbs that are falling from the table of the rich man; yea, also the dogs, coming, were licking his sores. [sup]22 [/sup]`And it came to pass, that the poor man died, and that he was carried away by the messengers to the bosom of Abraham--and the rich man also died, and was buried; [sup]23 [/sup]and in the hades having lifted up his eyes, being in torments, he doth see Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom, [sup]24 [/sup]and having cried, he said, Father Abraham, deal kindly with me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and may cool my tongue, because I am distressed in this flame. [sup]25 [/sup]`And Abraham said, Child, remember that thou did receive--thou--thy good things in thy life, and Lazarus in like manner the evil things, and now he is comforted, and thou art distressed; [sup]26 [/sup]and besides all these things, between us and you a great chasm is fixed, so that they who are willing to go over from hence unto you are not able, nor do they from thence to us pass through.

John 15:6 (YLT)
[sup]6 [/sup]if any one may not remain in me, he was cast forth without as the branch, and was withered, and they gather them, and cast to fire, and they are burned;

Revelation 20:15 (YLT)
[sup]15 [/sup]and if any one was not found written in the scroll of the life, he was cast to the lake of the fire.

TheWarIs1

Dec 11, 2009

Matthew 3:12 (YLT)
[sup]12 [/sup]whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly cleanse his floor, and will gather his wheat to the storehouse, but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.'

Matthew 7:18-20 (YLT)
[sup]18 [/sup]A good tree is not able to yield evil fruits, nor a bad tree to yield good fruits. [sup]19 [/sup]Every tree not yielding good fruit is cut down and is cast to fire: [sup]20 [/sup]therefore from their fruits ye shall know them.

Matthew 13:40-42 (YLT)
[sup]40 [/sup]`As, then, the darnel is gathered up, and is burned with fire, so shall it be in the full end of this age, [sup]41 [/sup]the Son of Man shall send forth his messengers, and they shall gather up out of his kingdom all the stumbling-blocks, and those doing the unlawlessness, [sup]42 [/sup]and shall cast them to the furnace of the fire; there shall be the weeping and the gnashing of the teeth.

Mark 9:43-48 (YLT)
[sup]43 [/sup]`And if thy hand may cause thee to stumble, cut it off; it is better for thee maimed to enter into the life, than having the two hands, to go away to the gehenna, to the fire--the unquenchable-- [sup]44 [/sup]where there worm is not dying, and the fire is not being quenched. [sup]45 [/sup]`And if thy foot may cause thee to stumble, cut it off; it is better for thee to enter into the life lame, than having the two feet to be cast to the gehenna, to the fire--the unquenchable-- [sup]46 [/sup]where there worm is not dying, and the fire is not being quenched. [sup]47 [/sup]And if thine eye may cause thee to stumble, cast it out; it is better for thee one-eyed to enter into the reign of God, than having two eyes, to be cast to the gehenna of the fire-- [sup]48 [/sup]where their worm is not dying, and the fire is not being quenched;

Luke 16:19-26 (YLT)
[sup]19 [/sup]`And--a certain man was rich, and was clothed in purple and fine linen, making merry sumptuously every day, [sup]20 [/sup]and there was a certain poor man, by name Lazarus, who was laid at his porch, full of sores, [sup]21 [/sup]and desiring to be filled from the crumbs that are falling from the table of the rich man; yea, also the dogs, coming, were licking his sores. [sup]22 [/sup]`And it came to pass, that the poor man died, and that he was carried away by the messengers to the bosom of Abraham--and the rich man also died, and was buried; [sup]23 [/sup]and in the hades having lifted up his eyes, being in torments, he doth see Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom, [sup]24 [/sup]and having cried, he said, Father Abraham, deal kindly with me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and may cool my tongue, because I am distressed in this flame. [sup]25 [/sup]`And Abraham said, Child, remember that thou did receive--thou--thy good things in thy life, and Lazarus in like manner the evil things, and now he is comforted, and thou art distressed; [sup]26 [/sup]and besides all these things, between us and you a great chasm is fixed, so that they who are willing to go over from hence unto you are not able, nor do they from thence to us pass through.

John 15:6 (YLT)
[sup]6 [/sup]if any one may not remain in me, he was cast forth without as the branch, and was withered, and they gather them, and cast to fire, and they are burned;

Revelation 20:15 (YLT)
[sup]15 [/sup]and if any one was not found written in the scroll of the life, he was cast to the lake of the fire.
Got a point here? The word HELL is not there.

Mal 3:2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:

The idea expressed in the above verse is all about cleansing those who can't stand at his coming..
Both a refiner's fire and fullers' soap were for cleansing.
who can stand at his coming?

Put your critical thinking cap on and read the parable in Luke.
If Hell is a burning place one goes after death would Lazarus have a fleshly fingers to burn?
And would a mere drop of water help the burning pains?
No it is a parable and parables were mostly allegorical and exaggerated stories to give a moral relevant lesson.

The story of Lazerus goes back to the Old testament and he was in Abraham's bosom which meant he was a relative.
The symbolic message goes much deeper than most know in relations to the old testament.

"gehenna, to the fire--the unquenchable:
Gehenna had fires burnig when Christ was in Israel.
There are no more fires burning there today.
[color=red"] Look at Gehenna with no unquenchable fire[/color]
You just witnessed proof that they are not unquenchable fires in Gehenna and that this was a mere parable.

It's important to be a Berean and not just believing what you hear.

jus a parable.
shlama

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Got a point here? The word HELL is not there.
It won't matter what you call it to those who end up there. It's still everlasting punishment in the fire.
Mal 3:2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:

The idea expressed in the above verse is all about cleansing those who can't stand at his coming..
Both a refiner's fire and fullers' soap were for cleansing.
who can stand at his coming?
VERY vague at best.
Put your critical thinking cap on and read the parable in Luke.
It's not a parable. It is a literal account about a CERTAIN beggar and a CERTAIN rich man.
If Hell is a burning place one goes after death would Lazarus have a fleshly fingers to burn?
And would a mere drop of water help the burning pains? No it is a parable and parables were mostly allegorical and exaggerated stories to give a moral relevant lesson.
It's not a parable. The rich man was desperate. He was begging for any help he could get. He didn't get any. It was too late for him, forever.
The story of Lazerus goes back to the Old testament and he was in Abraham's bosom which meant he was a relative.
The symbolic message goes much deeper than most know in relations to the old testament.
Is the Bible just a symbolic story to you?
"gehenna, to the fire--the unquenchable:
Gehenna had fires burnig when Christ was in Israel.
There are no more fires burning there today.
Look at Gehenna with no unquenchable fire
You just witnessed proof that they are not unquenchable fires in Gehenna and that this was a mere parable.

It's important to be a Berean and not just believing what you hear.

jus a parable.
No reason to believe it is a parable whatsoever. It is a clear warning to all of us. You can play word games with 'Hell' but the punishment in THE EVERLASTING FIRE is a clear NT doctrine.

Matthew 13:40-42 (NKJV)
[sup]40 [/sup]Therefore as the tares are gathered and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of this age. [sup]41 [/sup]The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness, [sup]42 [/sup]and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

TheWarIs1

Dec 11, 2009

It won't matter what you call it to those who end up there. It's still everlasting punishment in the fire.

VERY vague at best.

It's not a parable. It is a literal account about a CERTAIN beggar and a CERTAIN rich man.

It's not a parable. The rich man was desperate. He was begging for any help he could get. He didn't get any. It was too late for him, forever.

Is the Bible just a symbolic story to you?

No reason to believe it is a parable whatsoever. It is a clear warning to all of us. You can play word games with 'Hell' but the punishment in THE EVERLASTING FIRE is a clear NT doctrine.

Matthew 13:40-42 (NKJV)
[sup]40 [/sup]Therefore as the tares are gathered and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of this age. [sup]41 [/sup]The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness, [sup]42 [/sup]and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
We'll must agree to disagree.

Watchwithme

Jul 20, 2012
I wouldn’t say “it’s bad,” but I will say I wish the
translators would have translated better. For example in Matthew 24:3 they translate the
Greek “aion” as world (also in other places. The Greek for world is “kosmos” and not aion.

Aion

1) for ever, an unbroken age, perpetuity of time, eternity​
2) the worlds, universe​
3) period of time, age​

What should it have been translated to in English and what false doctrines have been created out of this scripture?​

Cheers​

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Rheims-Douay version i find much better than any other. then the authorized KJV. some of the others are just PC blashemous rubbish.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
The translators of the KJV wouldn't rate your version very highly, to put it politely.
come to it, i think the newer versions around now, would get on their goat much more so.
I put both of my versions i have side by side many many times and i like the words in red, that is one good thing i like about KJV but superior your joking.

Watchwithme

Jul 20, 2012
come to it, i think the newer versions around now, would get on their goat much more so.
I put both of my versions i have side by side many many times and i like the words in red, that is one good thing i like about KJV but superior your joking.

I haven't read the version you speak of, so I cant really comment only that the KJV translators (if I remember correctly) referred to Latin as a lesser vulgar language. Which language is the Latin vulgate translated from?

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
The KJV is not bad, it's just NOT current and up-to-date as far as modern vernacular is concerned. What King James and his Church of England scholars did, was probably great for it's time, but it is over 400 years old now and needed updating, not just from a current perspective, but from a linguistic one as well. We have more manuscript than KJ had, and we KNOW much more than his scholars did then. I'm also NOT into Shakespeare for the same reason, but he did not write the Word of God so there is a certain appeal to seeing how lives were lived in his time. I'm a lot less impressed with a 15th century perspective and understanding of the 1st century life of Jesus and the early church. God has been very faithful, as always, to bring forth His Word in a very relevant and understandable way.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
I haven't read the version you speak of, so I cant really comment only that the KJV translators (if I remember correctly) referred to Latin as a lesser vulgar language. Which language is the Latin vulgate translated from?
It has the commentary on what the Greek say as well when needed.
I have looked for a new Catholic Bible, but i was bitterly disappointed in them, money was no object as my Bible is getting worn out. i did see a Bible book just like mine when i was driving past a garage sale (eyes like a hawk i must have), someone was picking it up of a table and i thought i must pull up and by it. but i must of been in a rush, no money or something. kicking my self now because of it.