Knowing who we are...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...and who we are called to be "in Him."

Acts 19:11-16

The sons of Sceva saw demons being cast out easily v.12, and thought they could do the same. But they were unable yet we know that Paul had success!
The sons of Sceva thought that speaking the name of Jesus and the authority of the name of Christ was enough, ....but they didn’t realize that the demons in the man could see that they had no authority because the men were not "in Christ."
They were not yet been fully born-again by the Spirit of God.
Unseen demonic spirits that have managed to gain access into a person’s life can see into the spiritual unseen realm as well as the physical realm.
Again and again in the Scriptures, when demons in people saw Jesus coming, they fell on the floor, shrieked, shook the person, foamed at the mouth, cried out, or had some kind of manifestation.

These men in the scriptures above tried to exert authority over the spirits, but they had no power because Christ was not living in them. The evil spirits in the man knew they had no authority to cast them out.
Authority in the spiritual realm depends on our relationship to Jesus.
As the saying goes..." It’s not what you know; it’s whom you know! "
Positional authority is given to a person when he or she is born-again of the Spirit... and Christ dwells in that person.
To have that authority and growing in the Holy Spirit, the believer needs to act in faith according to what has been done for him or her at the cross of Christ. Total confidence.

1 "As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. 4 But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus"
Ephesians 2:1-6.

Where we were, ......and where we are.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The sons of Sceva saw demons being cast out easily v.12, and thought they could do the same. But they were unable yet we know that Paul had success!
The sons of Sceva thought that speaking the name of Jesus and the authority of the name of Christ was enough, ....but they didn’t realize that the demons in the man could see that they had no authority because the men were not "in Christ."
Unseen demonic spirits that have managed to gain access into a person’s life can see into the spiritual unseen realm as well as the physical realm.
Again and again in the Scriptures, when demons in people saw Jesus coming, they fell on the floor, shrieked, shook the person, foamed at the mouth, cried out, or had some kind of manifestation.

These men in the scriptures above tried to exert authority over the spirits, but they had no power because Christ was not living in them. The evil spirits in the man knew they had no authority to cast them out.
Positional authority is given to a person when he or she is born-again of the Spirit... and Christ dwells in that person.
To have that authority and growing in the Holy Spirit, the believer needs to act in faith according to what has been done for him or her at the cross of Christ. Total confidence.

1 "As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. 4 But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus"

Good post.

o

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@"ByGrace"
Indeed, being "in Christ" requires more than speaking the words, "in Jesus name" or "in Christ", etc. This is a problem altogether too prevalent today, I believe, among people who claim the salvation of God. Many may find themselves in the "position" of the sons of Sceva. Or they may find the Lord speaking to them after they have proclaimed their supposedly "good" works in this manner:

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Matt 7:22-23

Reactions: bbyrd009

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The above statements are correct, but I'll be wright back, and thanks for your patience, All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man/woman of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

II Timothy 3:16, 17. 2 Timothy 3 KJV

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

One can say the same about the apostles, who many believe were "in christ " yet Jesus referred to them as those with little faith many times, such as the time they failed to cast out the demon out of the boy in Mark 9. Was it the case that they were not "in Christ", or was it just a case of them being of little faith like Jesus stated? After all, Jesus did baptize the apostle's with water, in order that they be born again of the spirit of God. So were they not "in Christ" since they failed to cast out the demon?

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
One can say the same about the apostles, who many believe were "in christ " yet Jesus referred to them as those with little faith many times, such as the time they failed to cast out the demon out of the boy in Mark 9. Was it the case that they were not "in Christ", or was it just a case of them being of little faith like Jesus stated? After all, Jesus did baptize the apostle's with water, in order that they be born again of the spirit of God. So were they not "in Christ" since they failed to cast out the demon?

where and when did Jesus baptize the Apostles - twinc

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Who cares!
That is not what the thread is about. Do you even know what "Being In Christ" means?
Where do you live? In The Spirit, or in the flesh?

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(John 3:16-22) "¶ For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. {17} For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. {18} ¶ He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. {19} And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. {20} For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. {21} But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God. {22} ¶ After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judæa; and there he tarried with them, and baptized."

(John 4:1-2) "When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John, {2} (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)"

It has been claimed that the latter verse proves that Jesus never baptized, but as anyone with any degree of reading comprehension can see, it says that Jesus never baptized anyone EXCEPT his disciples. So this is why I am bringing it up. According to the word, baptism, whether its by the spirit, by fire or by water is the requirement to be "in Christ" as ByGrace put it. She uses the sons of Sceva not being able to exercise the demon in Christs name as proof that they weren't "in Christ", yet neither could his own chosen apostles in Mark 9. Like I said, it wasn't because they weren't "in Christ", it because of their lack of faith. You can be baptized, and claim to be in Jesus, and claim to know him all you wish. Faith can be measured and if its not even the size of a grain of a mustard seed, then you will just end up making a joke out of the faith you claim to have when you go around attempting to cast out demons, and healing the sick, and raising the dead that Paul, Peter and even the prophet Elijah accomplished numerous times.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
It has been claimed that the latter verse proves that Jesus never baptized, but as anyone with any degree of reading comprehension can see, it says that Jesus never baptized anyone EXCEPT his disciples. So this is why I am bringing it up. According to the word, baptism, whether its by the spirit, by fire or by water is the requirement to be "in Christ" as ByGrace put it. She uses the sons of Sceva not being able to exercise the demon in Christs name as proof that they weren't "in Christ", yet neither could his own chosen apostles in Mark 9. Like I said, it wasn't because they weren't "in Christ", it because of their lack of faith. You can be baptized, and claim to be in Jesus, and claim to know him all you wish. Faith can be measured and if its not even the size of a grain of a mustard seed, then you will just end up making a joke out of the faith you claim to have when you go around attempting to cast out demons, and healing the sick, and raising the dead that Paul, Peter and even the prophet Elijah accomplished numerous times.

here we go again - wrong understanding and interpretation presumably inspired and guided by the Holy Spirit - have a look at a few other bibles for a clearer view - twinc

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
here we go again - wrong understanding and interpretation presumably inspired and guided by the Holy Spirit - have a look at a few other bibles for a clearer view - twinc

:rolleyes: If you need to look at other Bibles to understand something so plainly stated that even a ten year old can understand, then what does that say about you? Do you believe you're led by the holy spirit? I didn't say a hot damn thing about me being led by the holy spirit, you asked for the scriptures and you got it. You either believe it or you don't, that's between you and God.

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
My eye witness account ain't got a damn thing to do with it.
i would say that it does, else how can Scripture be compared with life? The tragedy is likely not that ppl don't believe the Bible, but that they now take literally what was meant to be taken spiritually, i forget the exact quote there. A side reflection here is "so now you might be swayed by someone who appears to bring someone back to life" just because i like to bounce around a lot, you know, keep ppl on their toes lol :)

back to the other subject, you gotta judge by the fruit, right, so imo examine this raising the dead belief for the fruit it currently provides, and reflect upon the other pov, and go from there.

i would likely be quite suspicious of any claims of someone raising someone from the dead literally, and i think i could justify this pov pretty solidly. See how, put that way, you prolly would too?

So, the dichotomy must be addressed imo; i submit that it is entirely intentional, installed into the Book on purpose, not that we need any more threads here lol. Your eyewitness account is all you have, and where it conflicts with Scripture should be examined imo, these are meant to be signs about one's perspective, literally saying "change the way you currently think here."

Last edited:

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is interesting to note that the sons said, "We ajure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth." also the Bible calls them vagabonds (homeless travellers and exorcists, and Sceva was a high priest.

So it paints a picture. They were sons of a priest, they had no root other than that. They undoubtedly heard of Paul and his miracles, but it doesn't seem like they were disciples. It really sounds like a travelling side show trying to make a reputation and a buck. They might have been able to get the job done had they stayed with Paul a while....

But while I don't like Demons, the demons reply was pretty funny. "Jesus I know. Paul I know, but who are you?"

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is interesting to note that the sons said, "We ajure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth." also the Bible calls them vagabonds (homeless travellers and exorcists, and Sceva was a high priest.

So it paints a picture. They were sons of a priest, they had no root other than that. They undoubtedly heard of Paul and his miracles, but it doesn't seem like they were disciples. It really sounds like a travelling side show trying to make a reputation and a buck. They might have been able to get the job done had they stayed with Paul a while....

But while I don't like Demons, the demons reply was pretty funny. "Jesus I know. Paul I know, but who are you?"

Thanks...good post..and thank you for bringing it back to topic..it tends to wander when twinc is beating his usual drum.

It does seem to me that not many do know what it means to know who we are in Christ, or who He is in us.

John 15 4 "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in Me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing.
If a man abide not IN Me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you
."

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

John 3:22-26: - 22 After these things Jesus and His disciples came into the land of Judea, and there He remained with them and baptized. 23 Now John also was baptizing in Aenon near Salim, because there was much water there. And they came and were baptized. 24 For John had not yet been thrown into prison.

25 Then there arose a dispute between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purification. 26 And they came to John and said to him, "Rabbi, He who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you have testified — behold, He is baptizing, and all are coming to Him!"

It seems to me that you cut short your reading and comprehension. But even great preachers do that as well.

Perhaps we should know who we are, illiterate sinners.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 3:22-26: - 22 After these things Jesus and His disciples came into the land of Judea, and there He remained with them and baptized. 23 Now John also was baptizing in Aenon near Salim, because there was much water there. And they came and were baptized. 24 For John had not yet been thrown into prison.

25 Then there arose a dispute between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purification. 26 And they came to John and said to him, "Rabbi, He who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you have testified — behold, He is baptizing, and all are coming to Him!"

It seems to me that you cut short your reading and comprehension. But even great preachers do that as well.

Perhaps we should know who we are, illiterate sinners.

(John 3:22-24) "¶ After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judæa; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. {23} ¶ And John also was baptizing in Ænon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized. {24} For John was not yet cast into prison."

The operative word is 'also', meaning John isn't the only one being referred to who baptized, and it proves it in the beginning of the next chapter.

(John 4:1-2) "When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John, {2} (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)"

He baptized more people than John Jay, but he only baptized his apostles. Perhaps you should take a breath, tap into that holy spirit you believe you have and learn how to understand what you read before calling someone else illiterate............clown.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The operative word is 'also', meaning John isn't the only one being referred to who baptized, and it proves it in the beginning of the next chapter.

He baptized more people than John Jay, but he only baptized his apostles. Perhaps you should take a breath, tap into that holy spirit you believe you have and learn how to understand what you read before calling someone else illiterate............clown.

It goes to demonstrate that the "we" in the beginning of the sentence that you have taken offence at has been ignored and a very different understanding of the actual last sentence in my post has been taken.

You know that to be a clown, or a fool is a compliment as it is acknowledged that a clown or a fool is often much smarter than the audience he is entertaining. So thank you sir.

PS Please note that the "we" is considered to be inclusive of the writer as well, not just the reader as you have taken the meaning to be.

Does this reflect on how you also understand the scriptures as well and the claims that you have made regarding this one small issue. Oh well each to his own comprehension, then.