Knowledge of Good and Evil

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord God planted a garden and gave man(Adam) of the tree of life to eat. Man ate freely of "the tree of life" which is Christ.

Genesis 2:8-9 KJV
[8] And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. [9] And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Then separation from Christ came when Mankind(male and female)ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Genesis 3:17 KJV
[17] And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

Man has become as God; knowing good and evil: mankind is then drove from the garden to keep him from eating also of "the tree of life" which is life.

Genesis 3:22-24 KJV
[22] And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: [23] Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. [24] So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Death enters. Separation between God and man. Mankind is no longer free to eat from "the tree of life".

Proverbs 11:30 KJV
[30] The fruit of the righteous is (Christ)a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.

Proverbs 15:3-4 KJV
[3] The eyes of the Lord are in every place, beholding the evil and the good. [4] A wholesome tongue is (Christ)a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.

Prophetic scripture of trees and meat and life.

Deuteronomy 20:19-20 KJV
[19] When thou shalt besiege a city a long time, in making war against it to take it, thou shalt not destroy the trees thereof by forcing an axe against them: for thou mayest eat of them, and thou shalt not cut them down (for the tree of the field is man's life ) to employ them in the siege: [20] Only the trees which thou knowest that they be not trees for meat, thou shalt destroy and cut them down; and thou shalt build bulwarks against the city that maketh war with thee, until it be subdued.

Matthew 3:9-11 KJV
[9] And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. [10] And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. [11] I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Luke 3:8-11 KJV
[8] Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. [9] And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. [10] And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then? [11] He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.

Luke 13:6-9 6He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. 7Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? 8And he answering said unto him, LORD, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: 9And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

Romans 11:17-18 KJV
[17] And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree; [18] Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.

The question is: Will we continue to know good and evil for all of eternity? Is it necessary to know good and evil? If we remember only the good, then how will we fully recognize and acknowledge the price the Lord(the lamb) paid to redeem us?

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The question is: Will we continue to know good and evil for all of eternity? Is it necessary to know good and evil? If we remember only the good, then how will we fully recognize and acknowledge the price the Lord(the lamb) paid to redeem us?

Hey there :)
My answer is No.
His Presence will overcome all things negative.
I base this upon Revelation 21:4
"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."
If tears, death, sorrow ,weeping and pain have passed away...so has all evil.
And the source of evil.
My two cents... :)

Reactions: pia

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My answer is No.
"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."
And the source of evil.

Thank you for your response. Yes, I agree with you; yet I am left with:

Genesis 3:22 KJV
[22] And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

What if the former things that pass away refers to our lack of knowledge and wisdom? Our inability to see clearly as God sees? What if what passes away is our judgments and distortions between good and evil? Did Jesus know good and evil? Did He forget the pain of the cross once He was glorified. Maybe? Yet, Jesus also understood the will of God and the good that would come by way of the cross. What if there are no more tears, no more sorrow, because there is no more doubt that God is good in all things:a clear example being our being grafted in that came by Isarels rejection of the Messiah. Years upon years of the Jews stumbling and gropping for a season of darkness; blinded for the fullness of the gentiles to cross over.

2 Corinthians 7:10 KJV
[10] For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another example would be Jealousy. It is an ugly word when used for mankind and can cause a host of problems.

But there is another jealous:

Exodus 34:14 KJV
[14] For thou shalt worship no other god: for the Lord , whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

Reactions: Pisteuo

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The redeemed will always have free will and as God promised they will have a helper with them forever to guide them so why would we need a guide unless it is possible to take the wrong path? One of the big things with this period of learning that we are going through now is to better discern the difference between evil and good and then make the free will choice to choose the good. God wants us to know why he is the one and only for ever.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The question is: Will we continue to know good and evil for all of eternity?
imo there is no other option, unless we are to have our free will removed at some point. Or, if you object to the notion of free will, choice will be removed if there is no such thing as evil.

"All of eternity" implies that there will in fact be free beer tomorrow, so i'll leave that one alone for now lol.
Is it necessary to know good and evil?
to be a god, yes, imo. Animals have no problems not knowing, i guess.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Another example would be Jealousy. It is an ugly word when used for mankind and can cause a host of problems.

But there is another jealous:

Exodus 34:14 KJV
[14] For thou shalt worship no other god: for the Lord , whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:
For every right and true thing there is also the thing trying to come against it or destroy it...so if people see a negative anywhere, they should always try to find the positive, which the negative is trying to do away with ( if possible )

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For every right and true thing there is also the thing trying to come against it or destroy it...so if people see a negative anywhere, they should always try to find the positive, which the negative is trying to do away with ( if possible )

The only positive(good)I see can not be found in this corruptible world. There is godly jealousy; like Paul mentioned. Love. Which is shed in our heart by the Holy Spirit. Mans self righteousness. And Gods righteousness. Gods Holy wrath and vengeance and mans ill attempt to justify himself through vengeance and power.

You said: "if people see a negative anywhere, they should always try to find the positive," great, Pia. Describes mans search for righteousness, freedom, peace, love, joy...forgiveness. The secular world is hungry and they don't even know what they are hungry for. There is nothing positive apart from God.

Jude 1:18-19 KJV
[18] How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. [19] These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.

We are called: "elected" for the impossible: to give bread to those that are hungry. To give water to those that are thirsty. And to give a coat to those that are naked.

Whose bread?
Whose water?
Whose coat?

Last edited:
Reactions: pia and bbyrd009

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is nothing positive apart from God
Amen ! And of course all that comes from / by and through Him....It's not for nothing He is called The Highest :)
The bread, water and coat can be understood as both physical items and spiritual things which Jesus gives to those who ask.
Good catch ! Hadn't even given that a thought before...thank you :)

Reactions: Helen

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord God planted a garden and gave man(Adam) of the tree of life to eat. Man ate freely of "the tree of life" which is Christ.

Genesis 2:8-9 KJV
[8] And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. [9] And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Then separation from Christ came when Mankind(male and female)ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Genesis 3:17 KJV
[17] And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

Man has become as God; knowing good and evil: mankind is then drove from the garden to keep him from eating also of "the tree of life" which is life.

Genesis 3:22-24 KJV
[22] And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: [23] Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. [24] So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Death enters. Separation between God and man. Mankind is no longer free to eat from "the tree of life".

Proverbs 11:30 KJV
[30] The fruit of the righteous is (Christ)a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.

Proverbs 15:3-4 KJV
[3] The eyes of the Lord are in every place, beholding the evil and the good. [4] A wholesome tongue is (Christ)a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.

Prophetic scripture of trees and meat and life.

Deuteronomy 20:19-20 KJV
[19] When thou shalt besiege a city a long time, in making war against it to take it, thou shalt not destroy the trees thereof by forcing an axe against them: for thou mayest eat of them, and thou shalt not cut them down (for the tree of the field is man's life ) to employ them in the siege: [20] Only the trees which thou knowest that they be not trees for meat, thou shalt destroy and cut them down; and thou shalt build bulwarks against the city that maketh war with thee, until it be subdued.

Matthew 3:9-11 KJV
[9] And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. [10] And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. [11] I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Luke 3:8-11 KJV
[8] Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. [9] And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. [10] And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then? [11] He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.

Luke 13:6-9 6He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. 7Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? 8And he answering said unto him, LORD, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: 9And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

Romans 11:17-18 KJV
[17] And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree; [18] Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.

bygrace has got it, now is the time to acknowledge the crucified Christ. then, for one will be to late, as in a day late and a dollar short, because then will be the time for all tears to will be wiped away from the redeemed.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thank you for your response. Yes, I agree with you; yet I am left with:

Genesis 3:22 KJV
[22] And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

What if the former things that pass away refers to our lack of knowledge and wisdom? Our inability to see clearly as God sees? What if what passes away is our judgments and distortions between good and evil? Did Jesus know good and evil? Did He forget the pain of the cross once He was glorified. Maybe? Yet, Jesus also understood the will of God and the good that would come by way of the cross. What if there are no more tears, no more sorrow, because there is no more doubt that God is good in all things:a clear example being our being grafted in that came by Isarels rejection of the Messiah. Years upon years of the Jews stumbling and gropping for a season of darkness; blinded for the fullness of the gentiles to cross over.

2 Corinthians 7:10 KJV
[10] For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Victory..Your question was, in the Opening Post..about ETERNITY...so I am a tiny bit lost with your concern in your latest post to me quoted above!? o_O

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Victory..Your question was, in the Opening Post..about ETERNITY...so I am a tiny bit lost with your concern in your latest post to me quoted above!? o_O

You are correct; I was asking about eternity. I don't doubt He will wipe away our tears and sorrow. But, Will He wipe away all memory of pain experienced throughout our walk, or will it be through our ability to see as He sees: the purpose. For instance: you watch a love one suffer for over a decade with a terminal illness, yet through the illness you and your love one grow in faith and trust in God. Will you forget those struggles if they are what brought you closer to God? Do we expect Him to wipe everything painful away? Or will we see all that was accomplished for His glory through the pain and suffering and fully understand what it was all for?

I am sorry, that is the best way I can clarify. If it still doesn't make sense then it is me having trouble communicating,
not you.

In the same way, today, we can read the OT and are revealed things once hidden. An Understanding of the Lords purpose in things not explained at that time. Now we see.

Thank you for your response.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are correct; I was asking about eternity. I don't doubt He will wipe away our tears and sorrow. But, Will He wipe away all memory of pain experienced throughout our walk, or will it be through our ability to see as He sees: the purpose. For instance: you watch a love one suffer for over a decade with a terminal illness, yet through the illness you and your love one grow in faith and trust in God. Will you forget those struggles if they are what brought you closer to God? Do we expect Him to wipe everything painful away? Or will we see all that was accomplished for His glory through the pain and suffering and fully understand what it was all for?

I am sorry, that is the best way I can clarify. If it still doesn't make sense then it is me having trouble communicating,
not you.

Thank you for your response.

I will have to still say YES!! Gone, is Gone...New is New...meaning nothing of the old is left. At the moment we are spiritual beings walking around in a flesh body, with a fleshly carnal mind, not totally renewed yet.
But in the NEW Heaven and The NEW earth...there is no more Old..it says " Old things have passed away, all things have become new..."
By FAITH you must believe this for 'this nasty here and now'...and by eternity it will be GONE...when it says REV 21:4 "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."
I believe it is not saying God will lift His hand and wipe away a tear etc...No, God Himself and all His glory will so overwhelm us that everything else but Him, will be forgotten. When it says in that verse above no more it means no more.
And when it says former things in that verse it means all former thing...memories, feelings experiences...etc etc Why would we need them any more?
So, no...to something else you wrote...I also don't for one moment think Jesus remembers the pain of the cross...why would He ?
Not as "pain"...He did it "for the joy which was set before Him"..He endured at the time...yet obviously it is there..'written in stone' so He remembers...but without any anguish or trauma attached.
All of us who have had babies...obviously remember the pain and the unpleasant experience...but we have no "painful" memories attached to it..it was " but for a moment"... ( mine was a 36 hour 'moment'...but I can laugh when I tell it to my grandkids about their mother being born :) )

This is how I see things...so just my two cents. x

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My answer is No.
And the source of evil.

But you hold to angels sinning.
It means your reward is tainted by sin and....you guessed it death!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Evil is a lesser or incomplete form of Good. We do not need to know anything about evil to know good.

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
the question might be are you even qualified to define eternity? We think we know the definition, but i suggest eternity should be among the words like always or never or God that we might only approach a definition of.

Whenever you are, for the entire rest of your existence, in whatever form transpires, it will always be right now.
Our conception of eternity as something that hasn't happened yet, almost a synonym for tomorrow, is a way to project into the future, and lose focus on now.

One's focus can also get dragged into the past, too, or away from now electronically. The point is to remove your dominion in the moment, see, to sell you stuff lol