Law and the Origin of Human Conduct

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duane Clinton Meehan

Nov 18, 2019
Lebanon, KY
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
renderTimingPixel.png

The status quo takes as the basis of every legal system the notion that law is an active directorial force, capable of determining everyone’s conduct, particularly that of lawyers, police and prosecutorial officers, judges, and legislators.

The notion that law is a determinative force is a scientistic attitude, wherein concern is strictly limited to matter in motion. In law the Aristotelian model of the origin of motion is observed, in which human substance is in motion moved by something other than itself, which model is known as the cinesiological principle, wherein language of law is deemed to be a prime mover of persons. However, human ontological freedom is a bird of a different feather, and is not subject to being forcibly moved to action originated by a movent other which is law.

With the publication of Jean Paul Sartre's (1901-1980) ''Being and Nothingness: An Essay on Phenomenological Ontology'' (1943), an avant guard model of the mode of origin of human action is cast in the language of non-being/nothingness/negation. Human action is described as arising ex nihilo, wherein all determination to action is of negative origin, in the sense that every human act is predicated upon desideratum, absence, lack, non-being, via a modus operandi dubbed the ''double nihilation''; and, it is via Sartre's radically negative theory of the nihilative origin of human action, whereby all positivist materialist causalist theory of the origin of a human act, including that entertained by the jurisprudence of decisional and legislated law, is rendered ontologically unintelligible nonsense.

The blindly mistaken, tacit, universal presupposition that published language of law is determinative of human conduct, is defeasible in the light of Sartre’s description of the human ontologicaI modus operandi of the origin of an act:

Whatever each and every one of us is thinking at this instant, that thought involves an intention to bring to pass what is not yet accomplished.

We humans are a perpetual engagement in negation/nothing/non-being constituting our absent, lacking, intended future action. I am constantly, ineluctably, making, i.e., nihilating, the nothing which constitutes my prefigured intended future act(s).

All human acts originate within a milieu of nothingness, which is precisely the nihilative operation of intentional consciousness determining itself to act; hence, the 1674 dictum declaring “determinatio negatio est”, i.e., “determination is negation”, authored by Baruch Spinoza (1634 -1677), which George Wilhelm Hegel ( 1770-1831), restated as “Omnis determinatio est negatio.”, i.e., “All determination is negation.”.

Jean Paul Sartre, (1901-1980), via employment of Hegel’s restatement of Spinoza’s dictum, explains that what already exists in the world does not, cannot, participate in the originative upsurge of a human act, thus:

” No factual state whatever it may be (the political and economic structure of society, the psychological “state,” etc.) is capable by itself of motivating any act whatsoever. For an act is a projection of the for-itself toward what is not, and what is can in no way determine by itself what is not.” (Sartre, J.P., "Being and Nothingness", Chapter Four, “Freedom”). And, further: “But if human reality is action, this means evidently that its determination to action is itself action. If we reject this principle, and if we admit that human reality can be determined to action by a prior state of the world or itself, this amounts to putting a given at the beginning of the series. Then these acts disappear as acts in order to give place to a series of movements...The existence of the act implies its autonomy...Furthermore, if the act is not pure motion, it must be defined by an intention. No matter how this intention is considered, it can be only a surpassing of the given toward a result to be attained. This given, in fact, since it is pure presence, can not get out of itself. Precisely because it is, it is fully and solely what it is. Therefore it can not provide the reason for a phenomenon which derives all its meaning from a result to be attained; that is, from a non-existent…This intention, which is the fundamental structure of human reality, can in no case be explained by a given, not even if it is presented as an emanation from a given.” (Sartre, J. P.,”Being and Nothingness”, Chapter Four, “Freedom”].”

Human conduct originates ex nihilo and, never on the basis of a given factual state of affairs, extant law being the cardinal factual state of affairs to which we now mistakenly, delusionally, ascribe a determinative efficacy within our sociosphere.

Human beings are ontologically barred from being determined to action or inaction by given states of affairs.

Only the ''double nihilation'' is the negation, i.e., the negative process, the means, whereby human action originates/upsurges.

To ''nihilate'' is to make nothing. Within the double nihilation are contained two negative moments wherein nothing is made such that on the one hand, the present is made nothing by transcending it toward the intended project, and, the intended project, as an absent, lacking, unaccomplished objective, constitutes the other negative moment which is precisely the moment wherein consciousness makes the nothing which is the not yet achieved objective of the intended project.

Human existential absurdity designates givens as cause/motive/determinant of one’s action, while, in reality, ontologically, human action exclusively originates ex nihilo, via consciousnesses’ nihilative capacity. (Sartre, J.P., “Being and Nothingness”, Part Four).

Jurisprudential illusion is an instance of human existential absurdity, wherein the illusion consists in blindly, mistakenly, presupposing given language of law to be determinative of human action and inaction; --- jurisprudential illusion is the ontologically unintelligible misconception of mistakenly presupposing given language of law determines one’s acts, and/or, that one determines one’s self to act, or forbear action, by given law. Hence, when a police or prosecutorial officer, magistrate or legislator, tacitly claims to be determining, or determined, to act against any person or persons on the basis of or by given law, that ignorant determinative claim is unintentionally mistaken, dishonest, and dishonorable.

The notion that law is in itself a force determinative of human conduct is mistaken, for human conduct cannot, does not, originate on the basis of given external states of affairs. The universal notion that law is a movent force efficient to move human beings to either action or inaction, is untrue, hence, extant law-based civilization is built upon untruth.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The basis of every legal system is the notion that law is an active directorial force,

US law is based in the Constitution of the United States, the document designed to secure the goals of the Declaration of Independence,

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men . . ."

So then the notion here is that our Creator endowed us with rights, and government is subject to our Creator's intent.

Much love!

Last edited:

Duane Clinton Meehan

Nov 18, 2019
Lebanon, KY
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The U.S. Bill of Rights is a commendable attempt to uphold and advance our several human ontological freedoms by law. Now, in this century, we have greater knowledge of our ontological structure as beings continually engaged in our futures; and that knowledge understands that no given state of affairs, like law, can participate in the origination of a human act, which given law can thus now begin to be glimpsed as not necessarily the most efficient means to the attainment of an authentically human, honest, honorable, reflectively free civilization.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The U.S. Bill of Rights is a commendable attempt to uphold and advance our several human ontological freedoms by law. Now, in this century, we have greater knowledge of our ontological structure as beings continually engaged in our futures; and that knowledge understands that no given state of affairs, like law, can participate in the origination of a human act, which given law can thus now begin to be glimpsed as not necessarily the most efficient means to the attainment of an authentically human, honest, honorable, reflectively free civilization.
OK, but you had said that the basis of legal systems was that law is an active directorial force, I'm saying, the basis for US law is that there is a greater good to be served. Not that the instrument - law - is by itself efficacious, but that it is an external force intended to exist in harmony with an internal force, the conscience.

The idea being that a Creator created us a certain way, with a certain intent, and that law serves this intent.

Much love!

Duane Clinton Meehan

Nov 18, 2019
Lebanon, KY
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I said that we now entertain the "notion" that law is a directorial force within our sociosphere, which notion I am challenging, disagreeing with and, I then explain an opposite perspective of how human conduct actually originates.

I am explaining that when it comes to human beings law is not a force which determines conduct, because, freedom is not, cannot be, bound and determined by given law or given anything else. Innovation is constantly happening because not what is but what is not is determinative.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said that we now entertain the "notion" that law is a directorial force within our sociosphere, which notion I am challenging, disagreeing with and, I then explain an opposite perspective of how human conduct actually originates.

I am explaining that when it comes to human beings law is not a force which determines conduct, because, freedom is not, cannot be, bound and determined by given law or given anything else. Innovation is constantly happening because not what is but what is not is determinative.

I happen to think that we are the creation of a Creator Who created us with design and an intent for us.

And you said,

The basis of every legal system is the notion that law is an active directorial force, capable of determining everyone’s conduct

You've moved the goal posts.

Much love!

Duane Clinton Meehan

Nov 18, 2019
Lebanon, KY
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The first sentence describes that which I subsequently dismantle as a core mistaken presupposition of all law/jurisprudence.

Interesting that you read the sentence as my position, while, all the while I am merely describing the status quo via the sentence. I could rewrite the statement to avoid readers not realizing that I am describing and critiquing the status quo. You misinterpreted. I did not move goal post. It is said that everything one writes is misinterpreted..."The status quo takes as the basis of every legal system the notion that ..." Thank you.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
renderTimingPixel.png

The status quo takes as the basis of every legal system the notion that law is an active directorial force, capable of determining everyone’s conduct, particularly that of lawyers, police and prosecutorial officers, judges, and legislators.

The notion that law is a determinative force is a scientistic attitude, wherein concern is strictly limited to matter in motion. In law the Aristotelian model of the origin of motion is observed, in which human substance is in motion moved by something other than itself, which model is known as the cinesiological principle, wherein language of law is deemed to be a prime mover of persons. However, human ontological freedom is a bird of a different feather, and is not subject to being forcibly moved to action originated by a movent other which is law.

With the publication of Jean Paul Sartre's (1901-1980) ''Being and Nothingness: An Essay on Phenomenological Ontology'' (1943), an avant guard model of the mode of origin of human action is cast in the language of non-being/nothingness/negation. Human action is described as arising ex nihilo, wherein all determination to action is of negative origin, in the sense that every human act is predicated upon desideratum, absence, lack, non-being, via a modus operandi dubbed the ''double nihilation''; and, it is via Sartre's radically negative theory of the nihilative origin of human action, whereby all positivist materialist causalist theory of the origin of a human act, including that entertained by the jurisprudence of decisional and legislated law, is rendered ontologically unintelligible nonsense.

The blindly mistaken, tacit, universal presupposition that published language of law is determinative of human conduct, is defeasible in the light of Sartre’s description of the human ontologicaI modus operandi of the origin of an act:

Whatever each and every one of us is thinking at this instant, that thought involves an intention to bring to pass what is not yet accomplished.

We humans are a perpetual engagement in negation/nothing/non-being constituting our absent, lacking, intended future action. I am constantly, ineluctably, making, i.e., nihilating, the nothing which constitutes my prefigured intended future act(s).

All human acts originate within a milieu of nothingness, which is precisely the nihilative operation of intentional consciousness determining itself to act; hence, the 1674 dictum declaring “determinatio negatio est”, i.e., “determination is negation”, authored by Baruch Spinoza (1634 -1677), which George Wilhelm Hegel ( 1770-1831), restated as “Omnis determinatio est negatio.”, i.e., “All determination is negation.”.

Jean Paul Sartre, (1901-1980), via employment of Hegel’s restatement of Spinoza’s dictum, explains that what already exists in the world does not, cannot, participate in the originative upsurge of a human act, thus:

” No factual state whatever it may be (the political and economic structure of society, the psychological “state,” etc.) is capable by itself of motivating any act whatsoever. For an act is a projection of the for-itself toward what is not, and what is can in no way determine by itself what is not.” (Sartre, J.P., "Being and Nothingness", Chapter Four, “Freedom”). And, further: “But if human reality is action, this means evidently that its determination to action is itself action. If we reject this principle, and if we admit that human reality can be determined to action by a prior state of the world or itself, this amounts to putting a given at the beginning of the series. Then these acts disappear as acts in order to give place to a series of movements...The existence of the act implies its autonomy...Furthermore, if the act is not pure motion, it must be defined by an intention. No matter how this intention is considered, it can be only a surpassing of the given toward a result to be attained. This given, in fact, since it is pure presence, can not get out of itself. Precisely because it is, it is fully and solely what it is. Therefore it can not provide the reason for a phenomenon which derives all its meaning from a result to be attained; that is, from a non-existent…This intention, which is the fundamental structure of human reality, can in no case be explained by a given, not even if it is presented as an emanation from a given.” (Sartre, J. P.,”Being and Nothingness”, Chapter Four, “Freedom”].”

Human conduct originates ex nihilo and, never on the basis of a given factual state of affairs, extant law being the cardinal factual state of affairs to which we now mistakenly, delusionally, ascribe a determinative efficacy within our sociosphere.

Human beings are ontologically barred from being determined to action or inaction by given states of affairs.

Only the ''double nihilation'' is the negation, i.e., the negative process, the means, whereby human action originates/upsurges.

To ''nihilate'' is to make nothing. Within the double nihilation are contained two negative moments wherein nothing is made such that on the one hand, the present is made nothing by transcending it toward the intended project, and, the intended project, as an absent, lacking, unaccomplished objective, constitutes the other negative moment which is precisely the moment wherein consciousness makes the nothing which is the not yet achieved objective of the intended project.

Human existential absurdity designates givens as cause/motive/determinant of one’s action, while, in reality, ontologically, human action exclusively originates ex nihilo, via consciousnesses’ nihilative capacity. (Sartre, J.P., “Being and Nothingness”, Part Four).

Jurisprudential illusion is an instance of human existential absurdity, wherein the illusion consists in blindly, mistakenly, presupposing given language of law to be determinative of human action and inaction; --- jurisprudential illusion is the ontologically unintelligible misconception of mistakenly presupposing given language of law determines one’s acts, and/or, that one determines one’s self to act, or forbear action, by given law. Hence, when a police or prosecutorial officer, magistrate or legislator, tacitly claims to be determining, or determined, to act against any person or persons on the basis of or by given law, that ignorant determinative claim is unintentionally mistaken, dishonest, and dishonorable.

Philosophers use a ridiculous amount of five-dollar words to say that human laws don’t prevent bad behavior, they only punish it.

And for some reason the concept of ‘natural law” is missing from your narrative:

Natural Law: Natural law is a theory in ethics and philosophy that says that human beings possess intrinsic values that govern their reasoning and behavior. Natural law maintains that these rules of right and wrong are inherent in people and are not created by society or court judges.

Natural law is found in the Bible where Paul states that our conscience is Gods law written in our hearts.

Shalom

Duane Clinton Meehan

Nov 18, 2019
Lebanon, KY
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Philosophers use a ridiculous amount of five-dollar words to say that human laws don’t prevent bad behavior, they only punish it.

And for some reason the concept of ‘natural law” is missing from your narrative:

Natural Law: Natural law is a theory in ethics and philosophy that says that human beings possess intrinsic values that govern their reasoning and behavior. Natural law maintains that these rules of right and wrong are inherent in people and are not created by society or court judges.

Natural law is found in the Bible where Paul states that our conscience is Gods law written in our hearts.

Shalom
What is being addressed by my post is the universal claim, by so called authorities, that their actions against persons are predicated upon and determined by letter of law. I am not discussing theory of natural law, hence no reference is made to a putative inherent human sense of justice.

The intent is to inform the reader concerning recent enlightening existential thought regarding the mode of origin of a human act, which entails using core terminology by which said modern existential thinking is communicated. I am concerned to indicate, by explaining contemporary theory of the means of origin of a human act, the unintentional dishonesty and dishonor exhibited by the judicial assertion that law determines the enaction of punishment by authorities like police; prosecutors; judges; legislators; and, ultimately, God.