Limited Atonement VS Universal Atonement

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This comment would make all the Christians in Galatia (and other churches) unregenerate. Which is simply not the case.

No, they did so have the Spirit. But they were being convinced by Judaizers to add to the Spirit, the law. Paul was telling them they didn't have to add to the Spirit, that doing so would be falling from grace.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, they did so have the Spirit. But they were being convinced by Judaizers to add to the Spirit, the law. Paul was telling them they didn't have to add to the Spirit, that doing so would be falling from grace.
And yet you said that if anyone "battles the flesh" they do not have the Spirit. "Those who still battle the flesh have never been born again of the Spirit."

We need to be careful in presenting these things.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet you said that if anyone "battles the flesh" they do not have the Spirit. "Those who still battle the flesh have never been born again of the Spirit."

We need to be careful in presenting these things.

What makes you think that the Spirit was not still leading them? No where does it say that the Galatians were indulging in the sins of the flesh, only that they were being enticed to follow the Mosaic laws of circumcision and holy days. Paul just gave a complete teaching.

Those that indulge in the lusts of the flesh will not inherit the Kingdom of God. That is not being saved, not that they will not have rewards as has been twisted by some reformation denominations to conform to the false doctrine of OSAS.

Revelation 21:8 makes that abundantly clear.

"But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Galatians 5:19-21
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The term 'under the law' does not mean keeping the law as such. It means having a mindset that thinks it can work its way into God's favour. It's the idea that brownie points are acquired by keeping the law and when there are enough, God is sufficiently impressed and will open the pearly gates for you.
Not being 'under the law' does not mean one has permission to transgress the law or to disregard it.

If one believes one is under the guidance of the Spirit of God all the while breaking Gods Law and justifying it, one can be certain deception has settled into a comfortable space. If the commandments of men are comfortably substituted for the commandments of God, one can be equally as certain.

Those guided by God's Spirit will have a heart's desire to keep his Law and will shy away from justifications and excuses to break it.
In fact, God's children are ultimately differentiated from those who aren't by this factor.

Any clever manoeuvres to negate keeping God's Law are inspired by the evil one. Any clever manoeuvres to substitute mans laws for God's have the same source of inspiration; it is as cut and dried as that.

Reactions: bbyrd009

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The term 'under the law' does not mean keeping the law as such. It means having a mindset that thinks it can work its way into God's favour. It's the idea that brownie points are acquired by keeping the law and when there are enough, God is sufficiently impressed and will open the pearly gates for you.
Not being 'under the law' does not mean one has permission to transgress the law or to disregard it.

If one believes one is under the guidance of the Spirit of God all the while breaking Gods Law and justifying it, one can be certain deception has settled into a comfortable space. If the commandments of men are comfortably substituted for the commandments of God, one can be equally as certain.

Those guided by God's Spirit will have a heart's desire to keep his Law and will shy away from justifications and excuses to break it.
In fact, God's children are ultimately differentiated from those who aren't by this factor.

Any clever manoeuvres to negate keeping God's Law are inspired by the evil one. Any clever manoeuvres to substitute mans laws for God's have the same source of inspiration; it is as cut and dried as that.

You are speaking of the Sabbath I presume. We are not to let anyone judge us on any of the Sabbaths, nor New Moons or feasts. Because the substance lies with Jesus. But if you want to keep it even though it was bound to the Old Covenant, and never the New Covenant, go right ahead. It was the SIGN of the Old Covenant. The sign of the New Covenant is the Cup of the New Testament. 1 Corinthians 11:25. The commandments of the New Covenant are to believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, 1 John 3:23. All the Ten Commandments are swallowed up in those two and are well covered. They were of a much lower standard than the highest standard commandments - our New Covenant commandments. Only through the baptism of the Holy Spirit can these two be kept, and one doesn't belong to Christ if they do not have the Spirit of Christ dwelling in them.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are speaking of the Sabbath I presume. We are not to let anyone judge us on any of the Sabbaths, nor New Moons or feasts. Because the substance lies with Jesus. But if you want to keep it even though it was bound to the Old Covenant, and never the New Covenant, go right ahead. It was the SIGN of the Old Covenant. The sign of the New Covenant is the Cup of the New Testament. 1 Corinthians 11:25. The commandments of the New Covenant are to believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, 1 John 3:23. All the Ten Commandments are swallowed up in those two and are well covered. They were of a much lower standard than the highest standard commandments - our New Covenant commandments. Only through the baptism of the Holy Spirit can these two be kept, and one doesn't belong to Christ if they do not have the Spirit of Christ dwelling in them.
I am speaking of all the commandments IstCL.
Further, You need to recheck your statements , your references and how you've used them. Yet, if you think your statements are beyond scrutiny while palming off the 10C's, you probably won't.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009
D

Dave L

Except 1 John 3:9 is not practice, but commit. This is why we MUST be born again, and not still carry the old sinful flesh you are talking about. We MUST be born of the Spirit through the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Only then do we no longer battle the sinful flesh. We can still choose, but we choose righteousness because that is what we love.

Those who still battle the flesh have never been born again of the Spirit.

My experience reflects the following. This is why I censor all thoughts and imaginations according to Paul.

“But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.” (Romans 13:14)

“And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.” (Galatians 5:24–25)

“That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.” (1 Peter 4:2)

“For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.” (Galatians 5:17)

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My experience reflects the following. This is why I censor all thoughts and imaginations according to Paul.

“But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.” (Romans 13:14)

“And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.” (Galatians 5:24–25)

“That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.” (1 Peter 4:2)

“For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.” (Galatians 5:17)

I agree. But do you have any idea how many Christians are not saved because they have never totally repented of SIN and been filled with the Holy Spirit? I've been in church all my life, but I was 30 years old when I was saved. The difference in my desire to sin was like night and day. It was gone. So I can relate to 1 John 3:9, and don't have to change any words to fit a certain liberal theology. Not sinning was no longer a work. But I do agree we mature in walking in the Spirit. He is not done with us day one.

Reactions: Dave L

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The difference in my desire to sin was like night and day. It was gone.
the desire may have gone, but hopefully you understand that you are still swimming in sin right, the sin hasn't gone anywhere, you have just become aware of a few that have been labelled so you avoid them. We are forgiven these while we are ignorant of them, don't get me wrong, but we are all swimming in it imo

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Taken,

Are you not interested in examining the biblical evidence?

Oz

Huh?
Why would you ask me such a silly question?

Do you have a quote of me saying any such thing?

You are promoting some guy named Ron Rhodes philosophy.

Why do you believe if I am not interested in what some guy, I've never heard of, promotes....TRANSLATES into not being interested in Biblical Evidence?

weird

God Bless,
Taken

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What makes you think that the Spirit was not still leading them? No where does it say that the Galatians were indulging in the sins of the flesh, only that they were being enticed to follow the Mosaic laws of circumcision and holy days. Paul just gave a complete teaching.
It seems that you keep missing the point. So I will quote you again:
"Those who still battle the flesh have never been born again of the Spirit."

This is a totally false statement, since the New Testament makes it perfectly clear that even those who have been born again, or born of the Spirit, are not sinlessly perfect. Since all sins arise from the flesh, every Christian must battle the flesh, which you claim they should not be doing. IOW all Christians -- according to you -- must be sinlessly perfect, or they have not be born of the Spirit.

Reactions: Nancy

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems that you keep missing the point. So I will quote you again:
"Those who still battle the flesh have never been born again of the Spirit."

This is a totally false statement, since the New Testament makes it perfectly clear that even those who have been born again, or born of the Spirit, are not sinlessly perfect. Since all sins arise from the flesh, every Christian must battle the flesh, which you claim they should not be doing. IOW all Christians -- according to you -- must be sinlessly perfect, or they have not be born of the Spirit.

You heard me right the first time. Romans 8:2 the law of the Spirit has freed me from the law of sin and death. Romans 8:9 For you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if the Spirit of God indwells you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ they are none of His. 1 John 3:9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

If this is not true in someone's life they do not have the Spirit of God that makes us dead to sin. Romans 6:2.

You are not getting the point that the SIN nature is dead to commit lawlessness. Lawlessness is the key word. 1 John 3:4. Those are sins unto death, 1 John 5:16. There are sins that do not lead to death that we may or may not still commit called unintentional trespasses, Leviticus 5:15, depending on our maturity in following after the Spirit. So do not accuse me of preaching "sinless perfection or you are not saved," if you are believing "sin is sin" and interpreting my words according to Calvinist false doctrine. Trespasses are also called "sins" but as we walk in the Spirit, these are automatically cleansed - making us clean again, and perfect, 1 John 1:7. It is those sins we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ, 1 John 2:1. He is not an advocate for willful sins of lawlessness. For those we need to go back to our first love, and repent all over again. Revelation 2:4-5.

Many of the sins of the flesh in Galatians 5:19-21 and 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 are known lawlessness against the bottom line commandments. These sins are not covered under our advocate - they are not saved. He covered our past lawlessness on the cross, cleansing all unrighteousness, and He's not going back again for present and future sins. It is not just a matter of losing rewards as the liberal theologians claim to their shame who turn the grace of God into licentiousness.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The difference in my desire to sin was like night and day.
so, maybe you can see how not replying to me from someone who is so anxious to assert Total Depravity when it suits them kind of helps to illustrate hypocrisy, whether this applies specifically or not?

You more or less infer that you have no sin now, bc your "desire to sin" has gone away?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so, maybe you can see how not replying to me from someone who is so anxious to assert Total Depravity when it suits them kind of helps to illustrate hypocrisy, whether this applies specifically or not?

You more or less infer that you have no sin now, bc your "desire to sin" has gone away?

Read #176

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
....the New Testament makes it perfectly clear that even those who have been born again, or born of the Spirit, are not sinlessly perfect. Since all sins arise from the flesh, every Christian must battle the flesh, which you claim they should not be doing. IOW all Christians -- according to you -- must be sinlessly perfect, or they have not be born of the Spirit.

Consider this my friend....

A natural born man...is Born In Sin.
His Flesh is Tainted with sin.

Receiving Forgiveness does not Cause the man to Have been without Sin.

I will boldly say, my Sin is Forgiven, and I can not sin Anymore.

Is THAT claiming I have no sin?
No.
It is claiming I owned my sin, the Lord Forgave my Sin, and By His Power within me, I can Sin no more.

Now....what do Others attempt to "Claim For Me"?

1) that I am claiming to be "Sinless".

Idiotic claim! How can a man be forgiven of his sins, without First acknowledging his sin?

2) accuse me of lying, then claim for me, I have committed a sin.

What lie? That you Are Sinless. But I did not claim that.

Circle jerk of another's claims trying to be dumped on me. AKA... the other IS the False Testifier, and reflects only on them.

I will also claim; I am Perfected.

Same others with circle jerk, making false claims "FOR Me".

"Oh, oh so you think you are sinnless And Perfect".

Did I claim that? No.
I do claim, my sins have been forgiven, and Covered. I sin no more, by the Power of God within me.

I am perfect-ED, according To What God has accomplished ... Converted the whole of me.

Crucified...
my body, and washed and sanctified it.
Restored...
my soul, and saved it.
Quickened...
my spirit with His Seed
Keeps me WHOLE and SEALED unto TO HIM Forever, By His Power.

God Having PerfectED a man, IS a man who THEN is "prepared" to Walk in the spirit.

A prepared man is directed To Walk "Before" God And be thou Perfect.

An UN-Perfected, unlearned, man is taught To WALK in "Following" after the Lord.

Heb 10:14
Gen 17:1

God Bless,
Taken