Love your neighbor as you love yourself?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus love Himself?

ive been following this thread SinSinSin, and it seems this is the the royal law. What if I don’t love myself?
Who or what are you now, my friend? If you are now the Light as Jesus was the Light, then you most certainly do love the new man within. Given this then you would love also your neighbor and who is he?

"As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world." John 9:5

"And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are." John 17:11

"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid." Matt 5:14

"But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?
And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?" Luke 10:29-36

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes John, I do love Jesus, but I’m not to crazy about me.

I think John's point was that the way to love yourself more is to abide in Christ, till it is no longer you who live but Christ who lives in you.

But trust me, I understand. I don't like myself either. I'm a mess, LoL. But the Lord in me is a beautiful thing, and when He uses me I am a blessing to other people's lives.

I'll go you one further: I think there is good in everyone, even the unsaved. God said in the day that we were created, "It is good," so there must be something good in all men worth loving. But I take the good in all of us (even if there is only a little good left) as only the smallest portion of what God intended for us all to be in Him. So yes, that part of ourselves is at least something worth loving.

I know from your posts that you have some good qualities. You actually listen to people who disagree with you, which is a fairly rare trait. And you are also forgiving. I'm sure there are others if you look closely enough at yourself. Those are just the few I've noticed.

So go love yourself, LoL.

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year. Be blessed in Him, and see yourself as He does. In Christ.
- H

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes John, I do love Jesus, but I’m not to crazy about me.
That is the old man [the beasts in you] you're not crazy about. He is the one each of us needs to kill. He is not included in the "Thou shalt not kill!" Ex 20:13

But the Esau part of me...?

"Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:
She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table." Prov. 9:1-2

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think John's point was that the way to love yourself more is to abide in Christ, till it is no longer you who live but Christ who lives in you.

But trust me, I understand. I don't like myself either. I'm a mess, LoL. But the Lord in me is a beautiful thing, and when He uses me I am a blessing to other people's lives.

I'll go you one further: I think there is good in everyone, even the unsaved. God said in the day that we were created, "It is good," so there must be something good in all men worth loving. But I take the good in all of us (even if there is only a little good left) as only the smallest portion of what God intended for us all to be in Him. So yes, that part of ourselves is at least something worth loving.

I know from your posts that you have some good qualities. You actually listen to people who disagree with you, which is a fairly rare trait. And you are also forgiving. I'm sure there are others if you look closely enough at yourself. Those are just the few I've noticed.

So go love yourself, LoL.

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year. Be blessed in Him, and see yourself as He does. In Christ.
- H
Merry Christmas, and thank you for the kind words.

Dec 24, 2020
Springfield
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Then Job answered the Lord, and said, Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth. Once have I spoken; but I will not answer: yea, twice; but I will proceed no further.”
‭‭Job‬ ‭40:3-5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭64:6-7‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Seems you’re in good company, don’t change that. We should never be too proud. Humility over false piety any day.

TheslightestID

Nov 30, 2020
From here to Kingdom come.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if I don’t love myself?

Maybe just stick with the basics, and to name a few:

Do you love yourself enough to feed yourself when hungry?

Do you love yourself enough to hope that in an emergency somone would help you?

Do you love yourself to hope someone would comfort you when needed?

If so, then do the same for others, or do unto others as you would have them do unto you. IOW, you probably love yourself enough to get the job done, and maybe that is all the scripture means.

We should never love ourselves as much or in the way that Satan did, or too much. So in that light, many may share your thoughts on how little you love yourself, as in a sense, that is good.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Then Job answered the Lord, and said, Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth. Once have I spoken; but I will not answer: yea, twice; but I will proceed no further.”
‭‭Job‬ ‭40:3-5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭64:6-7‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Seems you’re in good company, don’t change that. We should never be too proud. Humility over false piety any day.
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: amadeus

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe just stick with the basics, and to name a few:

Do you love yourself enough to feed yourself when hungry?

Do you love yourself enough to hope that in an emergency somone would help you?

Do you love yourself to hope someone would comfort you when needed?

If so, then do the same for others, or do unto others as you would have them do unto you. IOW, you probably love yourself enough to get the job done, and maybe that is all the scripture means.

We should never love ourselves as much or in the way that Satan did, or too much. So in that light, many may share your thoughts on how little you love yourself, as in a sense, that is good.
If I haven’t already, welcome to the forum.

Reactions: amadeus

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus love Himself?

ive been following this thread SinSinSin, and it seems this is the the royal law. What if I don’t love myself?
well , lets look both at JESUS own words as well as His own actions .
Did JESUS ever focus on self or teach anyone to focus on our own self . aka self love .
Nope .
Self love is the love which first struck satan .
I shall be , I shall ascend ,
JESUS was and is the one true King , yet he did not come to earth to be set up as a king .
NOR did he live one bit better than his flock . He did not wear better clothes , He did not ride around in a chariot
as his own walked beside him . NOt only that , but HE suffered FOR the sake of others .
Jesus did not live as many pastors i see today living . And he did not teach as many i see today teaching self love
this power of i am , we lil gods stuff . NO NO .
And if the KING of kings wore no crown of gold on earth , AND if the master came as one who served .
WELL THEN , OUGHT we not to walk AS HE DID .
THIS five step stuff is false . This love of money is deadly , and this love of self is death unto all who would follow it .
I mean THE KING himself came for the sake of others , wore no golden crown , BUT DID wear a crown of thorns ,
all for sake of others . Time for this self help , time for this ya best life now , Time
for this self motivational stuff, to be eradicated from the minds of any who do call upon the name of JESUS .
Time for the false prosperity gosple to be eradicated from the minds of any who call upon the name of JESUS .
AND high time it is to preach THIS PROSPERITY , THAT JESUS ALONE is the treasure and our riches .
And no matter what we lose in this life for him , ITS ONLY GAIN . THUS ITS TIME TO JUST PRAISE THE KING
and learn to walk as HE DID .

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1Co 13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
1Co 13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Pro 11:17 The merciful man doeth good to his own soul: but he that is cruel troubleth his own flesh.
Eph 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

Hugs

Reactions: amigo de christo

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1Co 13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
1Co 13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Pro 11:17 The merciful man doeth good to his own soul: but he that is cruel troubleth his own flesh.
Eph 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

Hugs
Yep.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus love Himself?

there it is, but if you treat others as well as you treat your self, or would be treated by others, you are pretty much in the safety zone.

for example, you do well to respond to the Lord's calling to be saved correct? then you do love yourself.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus love Himself?

If I was perfect like Him then I certainly would. As for me I would say that I love myself, I just don't always love how I behave. Do I love my neighbors as much as I love myself? Honestly, I don't know. I guess it depends on the person in question since I am always truthful.

Reactions: Waiting on him

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well , lets look both at JESUS own words as well as His own actions .
Did JESUS ever focus on self or teach anyone to focus on our own self . aka self love .
Nope .
Self love is the love which first struck satan .
I shall be , I shall ascend ,
JESUS was and is the one true King , yet he did not come to earth to be set up as a king .
NOR did he live one bit better than his flock . He did not wear better clothes , He did not ride around in a chariot
as his own walked beside him . NOt only that , but HE suffered FOR the sake of others .
Jesus did not live as many pastors i see today living . And he did not teach as many i see today teaching self love
this power of i am , we lil gods stuff . NO NO .
And if the KING of kings wore no crown of gold on earth , AND if the master came as one who served .
WELL THEN , OUGHT we not to walk AS HE DID .
THIS five step stuff is false . This love of money is deadly , and this love of self is death unto all who would follow it .
I mean THE KING himself came for the sake of others , wore no golden crown , BUT DID wear a crown of thorns ,
all for sake of others . Time for this self help , time for this ya best life now , Time
for this self motivational stuff, to be eradicated from the minds of any who do call upon the name of JESUS .
Time for the false prosperity gosple to be eradicated from the minds of any who call upon the name of JESUS .
AND high time it is to preach THIS PROSPERITY , THAT JESUS ALONE is the treasure and our riches .
And no matter what we lose in this life for him , ITS ONLY GAIN . THUS ITS TIME TO JUST PRAISE THE KING
and learn to walk as HE DID .
Jesus did care about himself, but he cared so much about others that he sacrificed his own personal cares or desires in favor of them:

"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.; Matt 26:39

What Paul says in this verse describes the way Jesus lived and died:

"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others." Phil 2:3-4