Luke 16 the rich man in hell lift up his eyes in torment

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One must interpret the language of scripture by its own measure ie, not the measure of pagan ideas.
Consider Jude 1:7 .....they serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire. Last time I checked Sodom didn't exist anymore, it was consumed/destroyed and the burning was long gone ceased.
Death is the portion of the wicked. I'm sure we don't need an explanation of what death is if we take the measure of scripture as our guide.
That is annihilation which is false. Just as your denomination is a cult.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks farouk. So in chapters 15 and 16, Jesus presents a series of parables to teach. The one you mention is the last one.

I do not think parables are true life stories, but let's assume they are, for the sake of brevity.

If this parable were a true life story, when, in history past or the future to come, would the story be located? Are there any clues to this within the story?

I do find one clue that might be helpful, that would place it at least before the resurrection of the dead and the judgement. His brothers are still alive on earth. The time for them to have the chance to repent and turn to God is still there. So no one has yet gone to the second death, death has not been thrown into the lake of fire prepared for Satan. Correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As an aside, something I just thought of that I don't want to disappear from my head, because that happens a lot to old people like me - when death is thrown into the lake of fire, does death live there in torment forever also? Death is a being, an actual being, like Satan or Neil Armstrong or Abraham Lincoln? And I'm not being facetious by that question. Maybe being a little goofy but not being mean. :)

Edit to add more of my thought because there might not be a soul alive who could possibly glean why I asked that question .:D: if your answer is no, death is a state, not a conscious being, then why would it be thrown in the lake of fire, what would be the purpose and the result?

Last edited:

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we are all or should be familiar with Luke 16 . . is the literally or fiction /parable ?
i take it at face value /real .the reason i ask this i attended a rev meeting the evangelist as preaching out of REV chapter 20 .the great white throne judgement . he mentioned over his years. having people come up and say Hell is not real. i read my Bible it is real . just out of curiosity .what saith the posters ?

For those not yet wholly given over to the babble coming out of the professing church on this issue we refer you to our blog post entitled, “The Rich Man and Lazarus

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess cult members consider biblical Christians cults.

What biblical Christians are you referring to, your cult leaders Ankerberg and Hunt?

Remember it was you who first suggested on this forum that if someone followed the specific teachings of any particular individual they were in a cult, so what's your excuse?

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we are all or should be familiar with Luke 16 . . is the literally or fiction /parable ?
i take it at face value /real .the reason i ask this i attended a rev meeting the evangelist as preaching out of REV chapter 20 .the great white throne judgement . he mentioned over his years. having people come up and say Hell is not real. i read my Bible it is real . just out of curiosity .what saith the posters ?
The problem with an "eternally burning hell of torment forever and ever" is found way back in Genesis. It's all due to a common misunderstanding by most of the "religious" denominations of Christianity.
1611 KJV- Gen. 2[7] And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Now, if you focus on the word "soul", in the Hebrew, the word is "nephesh", which means "animal life".
Now, let's go to Gen. 6:17; 7:21-22.
"All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died" .
Question: since animals do not have an eternal soul, why do many think or want to believe that we humans do have an eternal soul??

Did Moses understand the "Periodic Table of the Elements", or of what an atom was?
No! He did not. Therefore, he could not understand what Oxygen was, and had no other option but to call Oxygen the "breath of life".
Man "became a living soul", he/she DIDN'T get one!!
Stay with the KJV or be messed up in everything that you believe.
In the KJV, compare again Gen. 2:7 with Gen. 6:17; 7:21-22, and figure it out, that no human being has ever been given an eternal soul!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is annihilation which is false. Just as your denomination is a cult.
destroyed, annihilation, death are all the same thing. Only the blind would misinterpret this.
Foolishness tries to make out they are different. Trying to force God's word to say what it doesn't aligns itself with the enemy.

Speaking of Satan Ezekiel writes this.........so I made a fire come out from you and it consumed you, and I reduced you to ashes on the ground in the sight of all who were watching. All the nations who knew you are appalled at you; you have come to a horrible end and will be no more. Ezekiel 28:18-19

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i understand what your saying but i had no idea about the 1611 kjv bible i carry a thompson chain.. i have few other study bibles plus i use the net . i have only had one person that i can remember told me thy dont believe in hell .as a christian i find that a foolish statement

That idea of no hell is taught by the mystery schools of initiation. They mostly teach that this world we live in is the only hell, which of course isn't true. For them to capture their member's minds, they have to first try to delete in them any fear of a higher Power or God that may be over them, for their goal is to trick their adepts into thinking they can become their own 'god' (actually Satan's original sin he rebelled against God with).

Reactions: Hidden In Him

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is it with people not using scripture? At least farouk gave ONE scripture that makes him arrive at his conclusion. Some of you guys just pop in, say a bunch of stuff, and don't even remotely refer us to scripture. That's like...recommending yourself and your own opinions. You don't have to post a wall of scripture bigger than the wall President Trump wants to build, but at least let us follow your work.

Which scriptures make you arrive at your conclusions??

Its like taking a math test and not showing your work.

You don't have to quote chapter and verse even. I mean most of us will be able to guess what vss you intend if you even just refer to it in a loose paraphrase.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
destroyed, annihilation, death are all the same thing. Only the blind would misinterpret this.
Foolishness tries to make out they are different. Trying to force God's word to say what it doesn't aligns itself with the enemy.

Speaking of Satan Ezekiel writes this.........so I made a fire come out from you and it consumed you, and I reduced you to ashes on the ground in the sight of all who were watching. All the nations who knew you are appalled at you; you have come to a horrible end and will be no more. Ezekiel 28:18-19

While I don't agree with your attitude that a man must be completely blind, having never met God, if he thinks hell is eternal torture (having some error doesn't mean you should say that, because you don't know if he has or not based on his having imperfect knowledge) I do like that you gave a scripture that helped you to your conclusion. This helped me rather than just wasting my time as reward for reading your post. So thanks for that.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HELL the Bible calls it the Lake of fire . it is real not fake.it is place of torment weeping gnashing of teeth and unquenchable fire

First of all, thank you for starting this thread. I'm very interested in it.

Second, thanks for referencing at least one scripture!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Too real. Maybe Lazarus' name was altered from Jehoshaphat or something to protect his identity. As in..."this is based on a true story."

The kicker in all this is that people will not be easily warned of their impending judgment...even if someone is raised from the dead. The wise don't need the warning and the foolish don't heed the warning. So in life you give people the freedom to be wrong.

A delusion cannot be reasoned away.

Concerning your last sentence, I don't think I totally agree...a delusion causes severe resistance, but...most delusions seem to me to be...mental laziness, as in you just accept something as true that isn't and it throws the equation off.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Concerning your last sentence, I don't think I totally agree...a delusion causes severe resistance, but...most delusions seem to me to be...mental laziness, as in you just accept something as true that isn't and it throws the equation off.

I see delusions arising as taking some things for granted that are in error...as in a foundation that you may think is secure but will shake apart when tested severely enough. Until then all seems well.

Sometimes people just don't have the concept or paradigm in their makeup to be able to apply correctly. But yes, for some it could be mental laziness...or spiritual lethargy. But delusion goes deeper than this I think.