Luke 16 the rich man in hell lift up his eyes in torment

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May as well share what I think based on what I read in scripture.

Adam and Eve never got to eat from the tree that would have given them immortality. God prevented it. That's in scripture.

I have a hard time understanding how people then think that the children they bore have immortaility upon being born.

It is also in scripture that there will be a resurrection of the dead in Christ, and 1,000 years later, a resurrection of all other men who ever lived on earth. So all men will eventually be brought back to life. Some of them will face a second death.

I don't understand how the second death is not truly death. I understand why there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth - brought alive again, only to go to a second and final death, horrible - but I don't understand how it is arrived at that those men have eternal life, when the only eternal life is in Christ and they aren't in Christ.

That's where I currently am in my understanding.

Edit to add: That's my understanding on humans. Satan appears to be a different matter to me. He appears to have been created with eternal life in him somehow. Of course I can't explain that, but I've thought maybe he was created eternal and then fell while man was not created eternal but would have needed to eat from a tree to make him eternal and then he fell.

Reactions: Nancy

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have a hard time understanding how people then think that the children they bore have immortaility upon being born.

It is also in scripture that there will be a resurrection of the dead in Christ, and 1,000 years later, a resurrection of all other men who ever lived on earth. So all men will eventually be brought back to life. Some of them will face a second death.
You answered your own question in the second paragraph. Souls and spirits are imperishable (mortality and immortality only apply to the body). So there will be a resurrection "unto life" (eternal life in an immortal glorified body) and also a resurrection "unto damnation" (eternal separation from God in the Lake of Fire). This is the Second Death (since death means separation).
I don't understand how the second death is not truly death.
Death does not mean extermination, extinction, or annihilation (as many mistakenly believe).

PHYSICAL DEATH = SEPARATION OF SOUL AND SPIRIT FROM BODY

SECOND DEATH = ETERNAL SEPARATION FROM GOD IN THE LAKE OF FIRE.

Reactions: tzcho2

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You answered your own question in the second paragraph. Souls and spirits are imperishable (mortality and immortality only apply to the body). So there will be a resurrection "unto life" (eternal life in an immortal glorified body) and also a resurrection "unto damnation" (eternal separation from God in the Lake of Fire). This is the Second Death (since death means separation).

Death does not mean extermination, extinction, or annihilation (as many mistakenly believe).

PHYSICAL DEATH = SEPARATION OF SOUL AND SPIRIT FROM BODY

SECOND DEATH = ETERNAL SEPARATION FROM GOD IN THE LAKE OF FIRE.

Scripture would help me to try to follow how you arrive there.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's also something else I wouldn't mind hearing someones take on. I talked with a man once who didn't think, as I did, that the tree of life in the garden was Jesus. After I got over my shock (not because he's an agent of satan for thinking it :rolleyes:, but because it had actually never occurred to me that someone might think it was not Jesus), I wanted to hear how he had arrived at it not being Jesus and what scripture led him to think it, but I don't remember why he never laid out the steps for me, but he never did.

So if anyone thinks the tree wasn't Jesus, I'd like to hear your steps with scripture that led you there. :)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Show-off. ahaha! May I also save them to my desktop?

I have been doing that for a while now.
Not just from Core, but from others too.

This one is my favourite...not that I get on my soap box as much as I used to..I have toned right down. ( I hope)
........soapbox.gif

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you're saying they can work after death?

Would it not make God unjust if we could not?

No, I am NOT saying that at all! I was just asking questions about "the worm that never dies" Then I thought of: Matthew 25:46
46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

So I paraphrased and used "suffering" rather than "punishment". I think punishment and suffering pretty much go hand in hand anyway :) I should have looked up the scripture first tho, sry :oops:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
we are all or should be familiar with Luke 16 . . is the literally or fiction /parable ?
i take it at face value /real .the reason i ask this i attended a rev meeting the evangelist as preaching out of REV chapter 20 .the great white throne judgement . he mentioned over his years. having people come up and say Hell is not real. i read my Bible it is real . just out of curiosity .what saith the posters ?
One must interpret the language of scripture by its own measure ie, not the measure of pagan ideas.
Consider Jude 1:7 .....they serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire. Last time I checked Sodom didn't exist anymore, it was consumed/destroyed and the burning was long gone ceased.
Death is the portion of the wicked. I'm sure we don't need an explanation of what death is if we take the measure of scripture as our guide.