Luther's Theology of the Cross

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The whole premise of Luther's protests is based on a very human logic. It surmises that we already have everything from God that we will ever have...we just need to redefine things...which is what he did.

So then a Christian becomes just a forgiven sinner. As if Jesus' power over sin was but a myth. And look at how many people rely on that very same human logic...a logic that excludes the God who does the impossible.

Luther's idea of the cross sought to overturn 1,500 years of church history. Instead of becoming righteous in Christ he opposed that idea with one of his own calling it "alien righteousness"....meaning that God can't see our true state.

But Luther's scheme is easily refuted if you know the difference between what God can do and what men can do.

Luther plays on the ignorance of people.

Remember that the Holocaust of the Jews was made possible because of Luther's hatred towards them. Luther also had Anabaptists burned at the stake. And he also championed a violent defense of his teachings in other ways...through the civil authorities.

History will show that Luther was far from being a man of God.

Anything I have ever read about M.L. portrays him as a very angry self righteous man. Rotten fruits. Just takes a little leaven...

Reactions: Episkopos

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Anything I have ever read about M.L. portrays him as a very angry self righteous man. Rotten fruits. Just takes a little leaven...

And yet Protestantism is growing with the masses. And that is very understandable seeing it is based on human logic...a very flawed logic based on a complete subversion of the truth of the gospel.

I'm not saying this to champion Catholicism. All of man's ways are like filthy rags.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The whole premise of Luther's protests is based on a very human logic. It surmises that we already have everything from God that we will ever have...we just need to redefine things...which is what he did.

So then a Christian becomes just a forgiven sinner. As if Jesus' power over sin was but a myth. And look at how many people rely on that very same human logic...a logic that excludes the God who does the impossible.

Luther's idea of the cross sought to overturn 1,500 years of church history. Instead of becoming righteous in Christ he opposed that idea with one of his own calling it "alien righteousness"....meaning that God can't see our true state.

But Luther's scheme is easily refuted if you know the difference between what God can do and what men can do.

Luther plays on the ignorance of people.

Remember that the Holocaust of the Jews was made possible because of Luther's hatred towards them. Luther also had Anabaptists burned at the stake. And he also championed a violent defense of his teachings in other ways...through the civil authorities.

History will show that Luther was far from being a man of God.

I must admit that what you're saying is a different slant to Luther and the Reformation than I have ever heard. Not that I think Luther or Calvin or the Reformation were perfect by any means, but I do believe that God used this movement to get His people back to the Bible. I consider this good fruit, so I hesitate to paint the Reformation with the broad brush that you're using even though I will consider what you're saying.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I must admit that what you're saying is a different slant to Luther and the Reformation than I have ever heard. Not that I think Luther or Calvin or the Reformation were perfect by any means, but I do believe that God used this movement to get His people back to the Bible. I consider this good fruit, so I hesitate to paint the Reformation with the broad brush that you're using even though I will consider what you're saying.

OK. With humans there is always a good and bad side. The good side of it is the bible translated into the language of the people. The bad side is all the theo-illogical nonsense that accompanied that. :)

Just read up on the histories of Luther and Calvin. They were like Paul...but BEFORE his conversion to the truth.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God uses whoever is available to accomplish that which is warranted or effectively requested by a person's actions or inactions. This includes curses as well as blessings. There are curses in place. No one needs to take hold of them, but as we certainly know, many do...!

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The bible calls this...the faith OF Christ. Not just a surmising or a speculative belief. But a living faith based on an actual encounter. It is an important distinction.

I see this stage as a struggle walk...where there are 2 forces trying to pull us away from each other....the flesh and the Spirit. The race is only beginning. We win battles and lose some. But the war is the Lord's for they who trust in God.

We can be seduced away from the truth...and restored again. I don't see a "done deal" status while we live here on earth. We are "in play" and everything we do has consequences.
I would never use the words, done deal ! Satan does deals, Jesus Christ however never does deals, as you abide or don't = free will, Jesus never interferes with ones free will.

I come across many that claim to be in a deal with God, there is no deal ! you abide or you don't.

If one said look I did a deal with God :rolleyes: it was Satan that they were truly talking too and such is a works of man nonsense, in fact a mans works trip.
A religious was peddling the, it's done deal with me, I said listen boy I am a contractor and there is nothing that's a truly a done deal in fact, as their is always strings attached to such things believe me. nothing is just that simple as such is just blind ignorance.

Reactions: Episkopos