Made of Show of Them Openly

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OK, essentially, you are saying this is yet future?

Much love!

Ha, Mark, please consider the whole post.

Since Christ has died for our sins, then if we are in Christ, through the declaration of our mouths, Satan, nor the other wicked heavenly hosts, the beasts of the field, can condemn us. Satan and the wicked heavenly hosts use people who chose to inhabit their respective dominions to be their front that condemns us. The influence of Satan and the other wicked heavenly hosts over the sea of mankind does not stop until they are all dispatched into the Lake of Fire. Then the second death and hades are also consumed in the Lake of fire to be no more.

Yes, Satan and the wicked heavenly hosts are judged in our near future and imprisoned in the Bottomless pit for 1,000 years, at the start of the Seventh Age, but their ability to influence people is not diminished during the little while period at the end of the Seventh Age when they are released for this short time period. However, they are not stopped from their desire to become God like, until Christ acts to dispatch them into the Lake of Fire.

The thing is that if we are in Christ, then Satan and the wicked heavenly hosts can have any influence over us. In the near future when the Sevent Age begins, Satan and the wicked fallen heavenly hosts have no way to influence mankind. However, during the 1,000 years of them being imprisoned in the Bottomless pit, Satan has given people, His Good and Faithful servants the means to impede the expansion of God's Everlasting Kingdom here on the earth. Cookie cutting a verse here and there from the scriptures is the fastest way I know of going down a rabbit hole.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cookie cutting a verse here and there from the scriptures is the fastest way I know of going down a rabbit hole.
I'm kinda figuring here that we're Bible literate enough to know or find the context without me needed to post the whole chapter or something.

Thank you for your reply!

Much love!

Reactions: Johann

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm kinda figuring here that we're Bible literate enough to know or find the context without me needed to post the whole chapter or something.

Thank you for your reply!

Much love!

Reminds me of the pastor's story where a person sort and acted on what he read in the scriptures. "Judas went and hanged himself." and then read, "Go and do likewise." and did so.

Not everyone who read these posts are as educated as you are in religiosity or have your particular beliefs.

We all need help from time to time to understand what we are reading.

Often what people believe as the basis of their religious beliefs cannot be actually found in the scriptures. It is just something that they have cobbled together from the disconnected passages that they have read. This forum is a classic example of this problem.

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps a better translation; "He disarmed the principalities and powers and made a public example of them, triumphing over them in Him." foot note d or in it(that is, the cross).
HE caught them all by surprise, and now all Power and Authority are in His Hands.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps a better translation; "He disarmed the principalities and powers and made a public example of them, triumphing over them in Him." foot note d or in it(that is, the cross).
HE caught them all by surprise, and now all Power and Authority are in His Hands.

The concept expressed is the nailing of a decree to a wall, or a post as a public notice.

On the cross was nailed this decree-- JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.

1683937410300.png

What was also nailed to the cross as a public decree was his flesh. His triumph proved the flesh counts for nothing.

The disarming was through the empty tomb.

Reactions: David in NJ

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
David what is coming upon the land cannot be stopped . A great delusion has grown .
A time of great testing of fiery trials which will cost us all IS COMING UPON the lambs .
A short great time of massive persecutions in which many lambs will suffer IS COMING upon us .
And i am very worried for so many who think no way this is gonna happen to us .
ITS ALREADY BEGINNING and it will GET ONLY WORSE . We must remember the DOCTRINE of our LORD .
In this world ye shall have tribulations .
WE must remember that not only is it given unto us to BELIEVE ON HIM
but to also SUFFER FOR HIS NAME SAKE .
WE must remember the scrips , the letters , the words o truth recorded by the true men of days long gone .
THE CHURCHES are in dire trouble . spewing out doctrines of men which cannot save
cannot build them up , cannot prepare them for what is or what is coming upon us all .
WE are running out of time and our betrayer has come from WITHIN . And even now it speaks through men
gone wrong , through false teachers and apostels to prepare them all unto the LIE
and to convince them to come against CHRIST and the saints . ITS HAPPENING DAVID .
So be it . ITS BETTER TO SUFFER FOR CHRIST and have lived unto HIM , than to have lived a king in this sold out world
which cannot save them from the wrath of GOD . Time is running out david .
A short great testing is upon the lambs and it will surely come . Many will also betray us from within .
Many will be delivered over unto men and govts , and all because they conformed not to the lie
BUT rather stood upon CHRIST ALONE . ITS COMING DAVID . THE WHORE has spewed her toxic cup of fornication
unto the world and her religoins and even most all of christendom and sadly they have bought it .
IT will not save them . And it cannot deliver them from the wrath of GOD who shalll judge them .
We mark my words . WE ARE GONNA be persecuted and some of us are even gonna die .
But remember this , IN CHRIST WE SHALL NEVER DIE , HE who believeth on me shall never DIE .
only the body .
save-image.png

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And the WORD reveals the FATHER UNTO US .
If one looks at the teachings of JESUS it sure aint hard to learn WHO HE IS and from WHENCE HE CAME .
ITS all over the bible , both new and old .
MY GLORY will i not give to another . GOD is a jealous GOD .
Desiring all our worship . And now a reminder .
And i saw no temple therein . FOR GOD AND THE LAMB ARE THE TEMPLE .
And the GLORY OF GOD DID LIGHTEN IT . AND THE LAMB IS THE LIGHT THEREOF .
learn those bibles . AND NOT THE JW VERSION Either . LEARN the bible for YOU
save-image.png

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
THE WORD has gone out of my mouth . GOD IS HIS WORD . GOD reveals himself to man THROUGH HIS WORD ,
through HIS SPIRIT . IF i go not , the SPIRIT will not come unto you .
Ye have seen HIM and HE is with you . HMMM .
I will send HIM . I WILL NOT LEAVE YOU COMFORTLESS , I WILL COME UNTO YOU .
IF a man loves me HE shall be loved of MY FATHER and WE , WE WILL COME and make our ABODE WITH HIM .
GOD IS HIS SPIRIT HE IS HIS WORD . GOD has saved us , LET THE CHRIST BE PRAISED .
save-image.png

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
and MY GLORY i shall not give to another . JESUS IS THE GLORY OF GOD .
HE IS the WORD OF GOD . And GOD IS HIS WORD . Let all that has breath both praise and thank the glorious LORD .
GOD HAS SAVED US . IMMANUEL . GOD IS WITH US .
And he shall be called counsler , the mighty GOD , the EVERLASTING FATHER .
GOD saved the WORLD . HIS WORD BECAME FLESH . TO THE LORD BE THE GLORY .
IF you have seen ME phillip , YE HAVE SEEN THE FATHER . SO HOW SAY YOU TO SHOW US THE FATHER .
I am the first and the last . Folks better learn bibles is all i can say .
save-image.png

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Colossians 2:14-15 KJV
14) Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15) And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

@Behold ,

What does this part mean?

Thank you!

Much love!

I'm taking you up on your invitation to request a thread. If you prefer, start a new one, and post a link for me here. Thanks!

I think you will find this helpful brother [the link]

Col 2:15 ἀπεκδυσάμενοςG554|G5666|V-ADP-NSM|Having disarmed τὰςG3588|T-APF|the ἀρχὰςG746|N-APF|rulers καὶG2532|CONJ|and τὰςG3588|T-APF|the ἐξουσίαςG1849|N-APF|authorities, ἐδειγμάτισενG1165|G5656|V-AAI-3S|He made a show [of them] ἐνG1722|PREP|in παρρησίᾳG3954|N-DSF|public, θριαμβεύσαςG2358|G5660|V-AAP-NSM|having triumphed αὐτοὺςG846|P-APM|over them ἐνG1722|PREP|in αὐτῷG846|P-DSM|it.

And here our Lord "divested" Himself from-?
Verb - Aorist Participle Middle - Nominative Masculine Singular
15. ἀπεκδυσάμενος. What is the force of the middle? I. In itself it may = stripping for Himself, i.e. despoiling τὰς ἀρχὰς κ. τὰς ἐξουσίας for His own purposes. But it is not only very improbable that St Paul should use the same word, and that a rare one, in one sense here, and in another sense so soon as Col_3:9, but also, as it seems, this meaning is “wholly unsupported by the lexical usage of ἀποδύω, ἐκδύω, and ἀπεκδύω” (Ellicott).

II. Hence it = Christ (see Col_2:14, notes) stripping Himself of something. But of what?

(1) Sc. τὴν σάρκα. So the Latin Fathers, e.g. Augustine, Ep. 149 (§ 26), exuens se carne, principatus et potestates exemplavit. Also the Peshiṭta “and by putting off His body.” But this metaphor has no support from the context nearer than Col_2:11, which is too far away.

(2) τὰς ἀρχὰς κ. τὰς ἐξουσίας, Col_1:16 note.

(a) They are commonly understood as evil, see Eph_6:11-12. In this case they are pictured as gathering round Christ, at various times in His life on earth, and with special force and nearness at the Passion. But there, at the Cross, “the powers of evil, which had clung like a Nessus robe about His humanity, were torn off and cast aside for ever” (Lightfoot). Cf. Chrysostom who sees in ἀπεκδ. a metaphor from wrestling.

The weakness of this interpretation is that unless the phrase τὰ στοιχεῖα τοῦ κόσμου (Col_2:8) refers to angels there is no hint in this Epistle that St Paul regards τὰς ἀρχὰς καὶ ἐξουσίας as evil.

On the contrary, in Col_1:16 and Col_2:10 it is somewhat clearly implied that they are good, or at least may include the good, and this is confirmed by ἀγγέλων in Col_2:18.

(b) The ἀρχαί and the ἐξουσίαι are spiritual beings generally.

(α) Possibly, but improbably, there is a specific reference to the angels as God’s means of communication with the world before the Incarnation, especially at the giving of the Law (Gal_3:19, cf. Act_7:53), which presumably is regarded as a χειρόγραφον introduced by them.

In contrast to that, God “divested Himself of angelic mediation” in the Atonement.

Angels are thus discredited. This would give an intelligible meaning but would seem to require “God” as the subject of ἀπεκδ.

There appears to be no evidence of a belief that angels worked by means of the Law and precept and thus, as it were, held men in their grip, or the passage might mean that Christ by freeing Himself, and us, from any such grip showed His superiority to them.

(β) More probably they represent the spiritual powers that attended on Christ to help Him, as, in accordance with Jewish belief, they helped all who tried to do right. The thought will then be that in the final scene He stripped Himself of these His usual attendants.

He thus showed up these Powers, to whom the Colossians were bid submit by the false teachers, as wholly unnecessary and useless.

Even on the Cross Christ could do without them.

So far from availing Himself of them He drew them, as He drew Christian men (2Co_2:14), even in His train.

ἐδειγμάτισεν, “made a show of them,” “displayed them,” Mat_1:19 only, in the Greek Bible.

It does not = make an example (“exemplum de illis dedit,” Aug. loc. cit.), which is παραδειγματίζω, Mat_1:19, Text. Rec.; Heb_6:6†; Num_25:4. Apparently here it = showed them in their true character.
ἐν παρρησίᾳ. The exact phrase only in Joh_7:4; Joh_16:29. Cf. Wis_5:1. It probably = with freedom of speech, and hardly so loses its proper force as to merely = openly. Translate perhaps “without reserve.” It is probably to be taken closely with ἐδειγμάτισεν, and expresses the free and unreserved character of Christ’s action in displaying them.

θριαμβεύσας, “leading them in triumph.” So also 2Co_2:14†, τῷ δὲ θεῷ χάρις τῷ πάντοτε θριαμβεύοντι ἡμᾶς ἐν τῷ χριστῷ. Similarly Lightfoot quotes Plutarch, of persons being led as captives in the formal “triumphs” given to victorious generals, as saying, τοῦτον Αἰμίλιος ἐθριάμβευσε and βασιλεῖς ἐθριάμβευσε. Cf. however Field, Otium Norv. III. on 2 Cor.

αὐτούς. The masculine definitely regards the ἀρχαί and ἐξουσίαι as persons. It is probably to be joined only with θριαμβεύσας.
ἐν αὐτῷ, “in it.” See notes on Textual Criticism.

(a) Not τὸ χειρόγραφον, which has been left long since.
(b) Nor Christ, either by regarding God as the subject of the verbs (which is improbable, vide supra), or as referring to Him even though He is the subject; cf. note on εἰς αὐτόν, Col_1:20. Cf. G, ἐν ἑαυτῷ, Vulg. in semetipso, followed by Wyclif, Tyndale, “in his awne persone,” and the margin of the A. V. “in himself.” For this adds but little to the thought of the passage.
(c) It doubtless refers to the Cross, the thought of which has been passing under the whole verse and now reappears. Observe the collocation of αὐτοὺς with ἐν αὐτῷ. Even on His Cross, the very weakest point in His whole earthly existence (2Co_13:4), He showed Himself far superior to all angelic beings. “The convict’s gibbet is the victor’s car” (Lightfoot).
Cambridge.

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
--and this, from Alford.

15.] The utmost care must be taken to interpret this verse according to the requirements of grammar and of the context.

The first seems to me to necessitate the rendering of ἀπεκδυσάμενος, not, as the great majority of Commentators, ‘having spoiled’ (ἀπεκδύσας), a meaning unexampled for the middle, and precluded by the plain usage, by the Apostle himself, a few verses below, ch. Col_3:9, of the same word ἀπεκδυσάμενοι,—but ‘having put off,’ ‘divested himself of.’

Then the second must guide us to the meaning of τὰς ἀρχὰς καὶ τὰς ἐξουσίας. Most Commentators have at once assumed these to be the infernal powers, or evil angels: relying on Eph_6:12, where undoubtedly such is the specific reference of these general terms.

But the terms being general, such specific reference must be determined by the context of each passage,—or, indeed, there may be no such specific reference at all, but they may be used in their fullest general sense.

Now the words have occurred before in this very passage, Col_2:10, where Christ is exalted as the κεφαλὴ πάσης ἀρχῆς κ. ἐξουσίας: and it is hardly possible to avoid connecting our present expression with that, seeing that in τὰς ἀρχὰς κ. τὰς ἐξουσίας the articles seem to contain a manifest reference to it.

Now, what is the context? Is it in any way relevant to the fact of the law being antiquated by God in the great Sacrifice of the atonement, to say that He, in that act (or, according to others, Christ in that act), spoiled and triumphed over the infernal potentates?

Or would the following οὖν deduce any legitimate inference from such a fact? But, suppose the matter to stand in this way. The law was διαταγεὶς διʼ ἀγγέλων (Gal_3:19; cf. Act_7:53), ὁ δι ἀγγέλων λαληθεὶς λόγος (Heb_2:2): cf. also Jos. Antt. xv. 5. 3, ἡμῶν τὰ κάλλιστα τῶν δογμάτων, κ. τὰ ὁσιώτατα τῶν ἐν τοῖς νόμοις διʼ ἀγγέλων παρὰ τ. θεοῦ μαθόντων;—they were the promulgators of the χειρόγραφον τοῖς δόγμασιν.

In that promulgation of theirs, God was pleased to reveal Himself of old. That writing, that investiture, so to speak, of God, was first wiped out, soiled and rendered worthiess, and then nailed to the Cross—abrogated and suspended there.

Thus God ἀπεξεδύσατο τὰς ἀρχὰς κ. τὰς ἐξουσίας—divested Himself of, put off from Himself, that ἀγγέλων διαταγή, manifesting Himself henceforward without a veil in the exalted Person of Jesus.

And the act of triumph, by which God has for ever subjected all principality and power to Christ, and made Him to be the only Head of His people, in whom they are complete, was that sacrifice, whereby all the law was accomplished. In that, the ἀρχαὶ κ. ἐξουσίαι were all subjected to Christ, all plainly declared to be powerless as regards His work and His people, and triumphed over by Him, see Php_2:8-9; Eph_1:20-21.

No difficulty need be created, on this explanation, by the objection, that thus more prominence would be given to angelic agency in the law than was really the fact: the answer is, that the prominence which is given, is owing to the errors of the false teachers, who had evidently associated the Jewish observances in some way with the worship of angels:

St. Paul’s argument will go only to this, that whatever part the angelic powers may have had, or be supposed to have had, in the previous dispensation, all such interposition was now entirely at an end, that dispensation itself being once for all antiquated and put away.

Render then,—putting off (by the absence of a copula, the vigour of the sentence is increased. The participle is contemporary with ἦρκεν above, and thus must not be rendered ‘having put off’) the governments and powers (before spoken of, Col_2:10, and ch. Col_1:16; see above) He (GOD, who is the subject throughout: see also ch. Col_3:3 :—not Christ, which would awkwardly introduce two subjects into the sentence) exhibited them (as completely subjected to Christ;—not only put them away from Himself, but shewed them as placed under Christ.

There seems no reason to attach the sense of putting to shame (παραδειγματίσαι) to the simple verb. That this sense is involved in Mat_1:19, is owing to the circumstances of the context) in (element of the δειγματίσαι) openness (of speech; declaring and revealing by the Cross that there is none other but Christ the Head πάσης ἀρχῆς κ. ἐξουσίας), triumphing over them (as in 2Co_2:14, we are said (see note there) to be led captive in Christ’s triumph, our real victory being our defeat by Him,—so here the principalities and powers, which are next above us in those ranks of being which are all subjected to and summed up in Him) in Him (Christ: not ‘in it,’ viz. the cross, which gives a very feeble meaning after the ἐγείραντος αὐτόν, and συνεζωοπ. σὺν αὐτῷ above).

The ordinary interpretation of this verse has been attempted by some to be engrafted into the context, by understanding the χειρόγρ. of a guilty conscience, the ἀρχ. κ. ἐξ. as the infernal powers, the accusers of man, and the scope of the exhortation as being to dissuade the Colossians from fear or worship of them. So Neander, in a paraphrase (Denkwürdigkeiten, p. 12) quoted by Conyb. and Howson, edn. 2, vol. ii. p. 478 note. But manifestly this is against the whole spirit of the passage. It was θρησκεία τῷν ἀγγέλων to which they were tempted—and οἱ ἄγγελοι can bear no meaning but the angels of God.

I tend to go on what Cambridge and Alford and the link I have shared to you brother.
God bless.
Johann.

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
And having spoiled principalities and powers,.... Principalities of hell, the infernal powers of darkness, the devil that had the power of death, the accuser of the brethren, who often objected their debts, with all his works and posse: these Christ has divested of their armour, wherein they trusted to have ruined men, as sin, the law, and death; he has ransomed his people from him that was stronger than they, and taken the prey out of the hands of the mighty; he has bruised the serpent's head, demolished his works, destroyed him himself, and all his powers, and defeated all their counsels and designs against his elect: some render the word απεκδυσαμενος, "having put off", or "unclothed": and which some of the ancient writers apply to the flesh of Christ, and understand it of his putting off the flesh by death, whereby he gave the death blow to Satan and his powers, Heb_2:14, to which sense agrees the Syriac version, which renders the words, ובשלח פגרה, "and by the putting off of his body, he exposed to shame principalities and powers": but it may be better interpreted of unclothing, or stripping principalities and powers of their armour, with which they were clothed; as is usually done to enemies, when they fall into the hands of their conquerors: unless rather this is to be understood of Christ's---

--- taking away the power and authority of the Jewish ecclesiastical rulers and governors, by abolishing the ceremonial law, and the ordinances of it; declaring himself to be the alone King and Lawgiver in his house, and requiring subjection to his institutions and appointments, which sense agrees with the context:

he made a show of them openly; when being raised from the dead, he ascended on high, and led captivity captive; he led Satan and his principalities and powers captive, who had led others, as he passed through the air, the territories of the devil, in the sight of God and the holy angels:

triumphing over them in it; which some understand of the cross, as if where and by what he got the victory, there he triumphed; the cross, where his enemies thought to make a show of him, expose him to public scorn and contempt, and to triumph over him, was as it were the triumphant chariot, in which he triumphed over all the powers of hell, when he had conquered them by it:

but the words may be rendered "in himself", as they are by the Vulgate Latin and Syriac versions; and the sense be, that as he by himself got the victory, his own arm brought salvation to him, so he alone shared the glory and honour of the triumph: or it may be rendered "in him", and the whole in this and the preceding verse be applied to God the Father, who, as in Col_2:12; is said to raise Christ from the dead, to quicken sinners dead in sins, and to forgive all their trespasses; so he may be said to blot out the handwriting of ordinances, and to spoil principalities and powers, expose them to public view and shame, and triumph over them, "in him", in and by his Son Jesus Christ:

the whole is an allusion to the victories, spoils, and triumphs, of the Roman emperors, who when they had obtained a victory, a triumph was decreed for them by the senate; in which the emperor was drawn in an open chariot, and the captives being stripped of their armour, and their hands tied behind them, were led before him and exposed to public view and disgrace; while he was shouted and huzzaed through the city of Rome, and had all the marks of honour and respect given him (b): now all that is said in the preceding verses show how complete the saints are in and by Christ; and stand in no need of the philosophy of the Gentiles, or the ceremonies of the Jews; nor have anything to fear from their enemies, sin, Satan, and the law, for sin is pardoned, the law is abolished, and Satan conquered,
(b) Vid. Lydium de re Militari, l. 6. c. 3.

This here from Gill.

I'm not trying to sound like a "know it all" since I'm not-all glory and boasting to and in Christ-and our Abba.
Also, I don't want to "flood" your thread brother-keep me in check.
J.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I've read it, nothing is too long for me, and it is powerful. Thanks.

Im glad it was useful to you.

I dont post much on "the authority of the believer", because Forums needs Soteriology basics, more then anything else.

Im always intrigued to notice that Christian forums want to argue about the """"""" Revelation, .. Errors in the bible,.....Pre-trib,..... the KJV......losing salvation..... Mary........Calvinism......Pre-destination.""""""

And all of that is useless.
Why?
Because its rabbit trails. Its cereal box ingredients..... None of this "info" grows the Believer or advances the real student.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Cross of itself is not the Victory, but HE who was nailed to the cross and what HE did on that cross in HIS Body.

This Victory was Prophesied by God directly to satan and all the angels AND in front of the Representatives of all of Mankind =Adam & Eve

The Mystery (we all love a good mystery story/movie) was = 'can God perform as promised?, with satan and his angels now having dominion over all of Mankind thru the power of Death, which is SIN.

Romans 5:12
"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned"

So now i leave it up to others on here to Post the Victory that Christ openly displayed AND before whom?

Genesis holds Two Mysteries and BOTH come to a Grand Finish in Revelation.

PEACE to ALL in CHRIST
The victory that Christ accomplished on our behalf was not only to free us from sins' condemnation. It was also to free us from sins' power. The first was at the cross... Justification. The second was in the resurrection... Sanctification. When He comes, Jesus will free us from sins' presence... Glorification.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The victory that Christ accomplished on our behalf was not only to free us from sins' condemnation. It was also to free us from sins' power. The first was at the cross... Justification. The second was in the resurrection... Sanctification. When He comes, Jesus will free us from sins' presence... Glorification.
ABSOLUTELY

thank you for this reminder of His Fullness

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Now this makes a lot of sense-sins presence.
Thank you @Brakelite

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And having spoiled principalities and powers,.... Principalities of hell, the infernal powers of darkness, the devil that had the power of death, the accuser of the brethren, who often objected their debts, with all his works and posse: these Christ has divested of their armour, wherein they trusted to have ruined men, as sin, the law, and death; he has ransomed his people from him that was stronger than they, and taken the prey out of the hands of the mighty; he has bruised the serpent's head, demolished his works, destroyed him himself, and all his powers, and defeated all their counsels and designs against his elect: some render the word απεκδυσαμενος, "having put off", or "unclothed": and which some of the ancient writers apply to the flesh of Christ, and understand it of his putting off the flesh by death, whereby he gave the death blow to Satan and his powers, Heb_2:14, to which sense agrees the Syriac version, which renders the words, ובשלח פגרה, "and by the putting off of his body, he exposed to shame principalities and powers": but it may be better interpreted of unclothing, or stripping principalities and powers of their armour, with which they were clothed; as is usually done to enemies, when they fall into the hands of their conquerors: unless rather this is to be understood of Christ's---

--- taking away the power and authority of the Jewish ecclesiastical rulers and governors, by abolishing the ceremonial law, and the ordinances of it; declaring himself to be the alone King and Lawgiver in his house, and requiring subjection to his institutions and appointments, which sense agrees with the context:

he made a show of them openly; when being raised from the dead, he ascended on high, and led captivity captive; he led Satan and his principalities and powers captive, who had led others, as he passed through the air, the territories of the devil, in the sight of God and the holy angels:

triumphing over them in it; which some understand of the cross, as if where and by what he got the victory, there he triumphed; the cross, where his enemies thought to make a show of him, expose him to public scorn and contempt, and to triumph over him, was as it were the triumphant chariot, in which he triumphed over all the powers of hell, when he had conquered them by it:

but the words may be rendered "in himself", as they are by the Vulgate Latin and Syriac versions; and the sense be, that as he by himself got the victory, his own arm brought salvation to him, so he alone shared the glory and honour of the triumph: or it may be rendered "in him", and the whole in this and the preceding verse be applied to God the Father, who, as in Col_2:12; is said to raise Christ from the dead, to quicken sinners dead in sins, and to forgive all their trespasses; so he may be said to blot out the handwriting of ordinances, and to spoil principalities and powers, expose them to public view and shame, and triumph over them, "in him", in and by his Son Jesus Christ:

the whole is an allusion to the victories, spoils, and triumphs, of the Roman emperors, who when they had obtained a victory, a triumph was decreed for them by the senate; in which the emperor was drawn in an open chariot, and the captives being stripped of their armour, and their hands tied behind them, were led before him and exposed to public view and disgrace; while he was shouted and huzzaed through the city of Rome, and had all the marks of honour and respect given him (b): now all that is said in the preceding verses show how complete the saints are in and by Christ; and stand in no need of the philosophy of the Gentiles, or the ceremonies of the Jews; nor have anything to fear from their enemies, sin, Satan, and the law, for sin is pardoned, the law is abolished, and Satan conquered,
(b) Vid. Lydium de re Militari, l. 6. c. 3.

This here from Gill.

I'm not trying to sound like a "know it all" since I'm not-all glory and boasting to and in Christ-and our Abba.
Also, I don't want to "flood" your thread brother-keep me in check.
J.
You still copying and pasting Johann?
You will never grow spiritually if you dont put these away and look at the text for yourself.
F2F

Status
Not open for further replies.