Man Rules Over His Wife?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember I said that God described himself as Israel's "ezer", which strongly suggests that Eve was NOT Adam's slave since God didn't mean to suggest that he was Israel's slave. Also, since God described himself as Israel's "ezer" we understand that although the roles are asymmetrical in focus, they are not asymmetrical in dignity. In fact, God is more worthy of dignity than Israel, even though, for a time, he acted in the role of the "ezer."

For instance, take a football team where the quarterback serves as the leader of the offense, and the remaining players act as his "ezer." However, in some situations, the quarterback may need to block or tackle an opposing player. In such exigent circumstances, the quarterback becomes the "ezer" of the team, temporarily taking on another player's role.

The role of a wife is to be a helper to her husband, just as God intended. Although she may sometimes have to take on other roles, her core responsibility is to support and assist her husband. According to God's design, the husband is the head of the household and the wife is his helper, fulfilling their respective roles. The larger issue here is one of responsibility. Why does God command children to obey their parents? Because God has entrusted parents with the responsibility of caring for their children, and they will be held accountable if they neglect or abandon that responsibility. Why does a wife obey her husband, because the husband will be held accountable for the actions of the family.
If Eve was required to take orders from Adam, it seems to me that makes her his slave.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Eve was required to take orders from Adam, it seems to me that makes her his slave.
Why? I don't get it. We have all kinds of examples of authority in our society: military rank, school teacher, police officer, parent, etc. None of these are slave/master relationships. And didn't you read it when I said that God considered himself an "ezer" to Israel? Doesn't God have a higher position? Doesn't God deserve more honor and respect than Israel? Yes, yes, yes. And yet, God played the role of "ezer" for his people. He didn't become their slave or servant. He is their God.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why? I don't get it. We have all kinds of examples of authority in our society: military rank, school teacher, police officer, parent, etc. None of these are slave/master relationships. And didn't you read it when I said that God considered himself an "ezer" to Israel? Doesn't God have a higher position? Doesn't God deserve more honor and respect than Israel? Yes, yes, yes. And yet, God played the role of "ezer" for his people. He didn't become their slave or servant. He is their God.
That's what slavery is - being required to do as someone tells you to do.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is sovereign! That means He has been in control of all history. What do we see in history? Men ruling over women. Kings, governors, authorities, chiefs, generals, priests, the Prophets, the Apostles, husbands, ... Wherever you look, in whatever culture, men have ruled over women. Exceptions have been made but generally, God ordained this. And some women have been rebelling against this which ultimately led to the Feminist Movement, but then a wholesome, godly Christian woman is also seen as submissive. Oh there is a peacefulness with a godly woman who loves and respects her man. I have had the other kind.

Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. ROMANS 13:1

Reactions: Arthur81

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if my reason for existence was to do another person's will, I would consider myself enslaved to that person.
Bob, you keep bringing up slavery, but can you produce one single verse in all the Bible that condemns slavery as sin? Slavery in centuries past was a fact of life, and the Bible regulated slavery to make it humane, but nowhere can I find where it is called sin. The humanists can whine about it, but they can't produce the biblical law stating that it is sin in itself. When Paul wrote Philemon, he had a perfect opportunity to condemn slavery as sin, but he did not do so. Keep in mind, humanists don't hesitate to claim to be more righteous than God.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bob, you keep bringing up slavery, but can you produce one single verse in all the Bible that condemns slavery as sin? Slavery in centuries past was a fact of life, and the Bible regulated slavery to make it humane, but nowhere can I find where it is called sin. The humanists can whine about it, but they can't produce the biblical law stating that it is sin in itself. When Paul wrote Philemon, he had a perfect opportunity to condemn slavery as sin, but he did not do so. Keep in mind, humanists don't hesitate to claim to be more righteous than God.
The Bible teaches us to love our neighbors as ourselves. Do you want to be enslaved? If not, would you condone slavery?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Man Rules Over His Wife?​

Only if he can't rule over himself!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if my reason for existence was to do another person's will, I would consider myself enslaved to that person.
Children are obligated to obey their parents because parents are responsible for their children and have the duty to guide and protect them. However, children are not considered "slaves" because they are loved and cared for. Likewise, wives are to obey their husbands, because husbands are responsible for their wives and have the duty to love, care for and protect their wives from danger and harm, which distinguishes them from "slaves."

Based on biblical teachings, we can establish a clear distinction between marriage and slavery. Unlike a slave, a wife serves her husband voluntarily and if she loves him, she is motivated to support him in every possible way. Additionally, a woman has the freedom to choose any husband she desires and benefits directly from the arrangement. She shares the same house with her husband, has charge over the children and household, thrives in society, feels safe and secure, and has a loving, caring, and protective husband.

One significant difference between a wife and a slave is that when a woman marries a man, they become one flesh. This means that the woman is considered a member of the man's family, and his family is obligated to treat her with the same respect and dignity as any other family member. Similarly, any children born to the couple are also considered members of the extended family, and are entitled to all the rights and privileges that come with it. In contrast, a slave does not have the same status or rights as a family member.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's one thing to willingly serve a divine being. It's something else to be required to take orders from a human.
It is commonly understood that willingly serving a divine being is different from obeying a human being. However, there are instances where performing our duty to a human being is also a way of willingly serving God. As per the Biblical viewpoint, when a wife serves her husband, she is also serving God. By helping her husband, she is also serving God, and by doing so voluntarily, she is serving God in a willing manner. Paul the Apostle also acknowledged this when he wrote, "Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:22)

When the gospel first arrived in Corinth, it brought a lot of excitement among the believers. One of the common questions that arose was how to live a holy life and what actions constitute holiness. Some members of the community believed that sexual intimacy was an impious activity, and they even discouraged others from getting married. In response to this, Paul advised wives that their loyalty to their husbands did not conflict with their loyalty to Jesus. In fact, obeying their husbands was equivalent to obeying the Lord. A woman who continued to support her husband was, in fact, following the path of her Lord. (1 Corinthians 11)

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Children are obligated to obey their parents because parents are responsible for their children and have the duty to guide and protect them. However, children are not considered "slaves" because they are loved and cared for. Likewise, wives are to obey their husbands, because husbands are responsible for their wives and have the duty to love, care for and protect their wives from danger and harm, which distinguishes them from "slaves."

Based on biblical teachings, we can establish a clear distinction between marriage and slavery. Unlike a slave, a wife serves her husband voluntarily and if she loves him, she is motivated to support him in every possible way. Additionally, a woman has the freedom to choose any husband she desires and benefits directly from the arrangement. She shares the same house with her husband, has charge over the children and household, thrives in society, feels safe and secure, and has a loving, caring, and protective husband.

One significant difference between a wife and a slave is that when a woman marries a man, they become one flesh. This means that the woman is considered a member of the man's family, and his family is obligated to treat her with the same respect and dignity as any other family member. Similarly, any children born to the couple are also considered members of the extended family, and are entitled to all the rights and privileges that come with it. In contrast, a slave does not have the same status or rights as a family member.
I think if you were required to obey my every command, you would be unhappy.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is commonly understood that willingly serving a divine being is different from obeying a human being. However, there are instances where performing our duty to a human being is also a way of willingly serving God. As per the Biblical viewpoint, when a wife serves her husband, she is also serving God. By helping her husband, she is also serving God, and by doing so voluntarily, she is serving God in a willing manner. Paul the Apostle also acknowledged this when he wrote, "Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:22)

When the gospel first arrived in Corinth, it brought a lot of excitement among the believers. One of the common questions that arose was how to live a holy life and what actions constitute holiness. Some members of the community believed that sexual intimacy was an impious activity, and they even discouraged others from getting married. In response to this, Paul advised wives that their loyalty to their husbands did not conflict with their loyalty to Jesus. In fact, obeying their husbands was equivalent to obeying the Lord. A woman who continued to support her husband was, in fact, following the path of her Lord. (1 Corinthians 11)
We are commanded to love one another. That is different than being someone's slave.

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible teaches us to love our neighbors as ourselves. Do you want to be enslaved? If not, would you condone slavery?
You are giving an example of humanism, man's reasoning when there is no law in scripture that states as much. The laws regulating treatment of slaves shows the masters are to love the slave as if they were the ones in that situation in life. In life, those who live under a king are blessed if they have a kind and loving king; and wives are blessed if they live under a kind and loving husband. The husband is also blessed to have a good, biblical wife.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are giving an example of humanism, man's reasoning when there is no law in scripture that states as much. The laws regulating treatment of slaves shows the masters are to love the slave as if they were the ones in that situation in life. In life, those who live under a king are blessed if they have a kind and loving king; and wives are blessed if they live under a kind and loving husband. The husband is also blessed to have a good, biblical wife.
Jesus told us to love our neighbors as ourselves. That doesn't seem complicated to me.