Mans Inability to come to Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Had you gone to the previous chapter in Romans you would not disagree:

ROMANS 2: ALL MEN HAVE RECEIVED A CONSCIENCE FROM GOD
13 For not the hearers of the Law are just before God, but the doers of the Law shall be justified.
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the Law, do by nature the things contained in the Law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and
their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;
16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my Gospel.
Man has a natural conscience, but he is still spiritually dead. I would argue that mans conscience naturally is seared 1 Tim 4:2

speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Man has a natural conscience, but he is still spiritually dead. I would argue that mans conscience naturally is seared 1 Tim 4:2... speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
CONTEXT IS CRITICAL. 1 Tim 4:2 is not speaking about the human race, but a very specific group of people -- a subset. The ones who are spoken about have (1) departed from the Christian faith (become apostate), (2) are under the control of seducing spirits and (3) have succumbed to the doctrines of demons. Those are the ones whose conscience does not operate as it should -- it is seared.

On the other hand, God commends unsaved Gentiles who not only follow their conscience, but also do righteously because of it. See Romans 2. There are many examples of such people who are not Christians but do right and care for others.

LUKE 7: THE ROMAN CENTURION WHO BUILT A JEWISH SYNAGOGUE
1 Now when he had ended all his sayings in the audience of the people, he entered into Capernaum.
2 And a certain centurion's servant, who was dear unto him, was sick, and ready to die.
3 And when he heard of Jesus, he sent unto him the elders of the Jews, beseeching him that he would come and heal his servant.
4 And when they came to Jesus, they besought him instantly, saying, That he was worthy for whom he should do this:

5 For he loveth our nation, and he hath built us a synagogue.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thats not true, not Spiritually. Man is dead Spiritually, his soul is dead to God ! And a dead man cant cry out to anyone. His only hope is if God has willed to raise him from the dead !
Again the Bible refutes your mistaken idea as presented here.

LUKE 18: THE UNSAVED PUBLICAN WHO CRIED OUT TO GOD
9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men
are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as
his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
enoch 111

CONTEXT IS CRITICAL. 1 Tim 4:2 is not speaking about the human race, but a very specific group of people

A lot of truth is found in a given context, that group of people are the natural man,, and it indicates that his conscience isnt reliable in the things of God.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again the Bible refutes your mistaken idea as presented here.

LUKE 18: THE UNSAVED PUBLICAN WHO CRIED OUT TO GOD
9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men
are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as
his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
I believe the publican was born again at the time he prayed.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So IMHO free will does not exist until after we are born again then we have the capability to choose to sin or choose to obey God.

The free will debate will never be resolved on this side of heaven and most of us have our lines drawn in the sand with the issue.

hope this helps !!!
The important questions here are really
1) Does God offer the gift of salvation to all men?
2) is this a gift - meaning a person can choose to accept or reject it. Or does a person have zero choice in the matter.

I myself am a staunch believer that God offers His gift to every person, and it being a gift each person can choose to accept or reject. God does not force any person anyway.

Reactions: Nancy

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
How about Paul ?
Did he also has inability to come to Christ because he was persecuted with the devil in his body ?
How about Mary Magdalene who also released from the 7 evil spirit ?
It seems the Evil One always released the female than the male, it gives us a clear understanding why did Pharaoh will let the female lives while they persecuted the male.
That's why since the beginning of time the light bearer was always a woman, for example : Astarte, Mother Mary.

Exodus 1:15-16
15. The king of Egypt said to the Hebrew midwives, one of whom was named Shiphrah and the other Puah,
16. “When you assist the Hebrew women in childbirth, observe at the delivery: If it is a son, kill him, but if it is a daughter, she may live.”

Why did Paul called as Apostles while he was ruled by devil in his body ?

2 Corinthians 12:7-10
7. even because of the extraordinary character of the revelations. Therefore, so that I would not become arrogant, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to trouble me – so that I would not become arrogant.
8. I asked the Lord three times about this, that it would depart from me.
9. But he said to me, “My grace is enough for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” So then, I will boast most gladly about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may reside in me.
10. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, with insults, with troubles, with persecutions and difficulties for the sake of Christ, for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.

This will gives us a clear understanding, that since beginning of time, Babylonian are still the ruler of this world as Evil One.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Lets just see how God paints man in his sinful state post fall.

Jeremiah 13:23- Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Neither can you do good who are accustomed to doing evil.

above we see man can do nothing to change his condition no more than a man can change the color of his skin or the leopard his spots. The same with sin and scripture makes it clear in numerous places we were dead in our sins when Christ made us alive.​

Rom. 3:10-12, "as it is written, ‘There is none righteous, not even one; 11 There is none who understands, there is none who seeks for God; 12 All have turned aside, together they have become useless. There is none who does good, there is not even one.’"

Romans 6:16- Do you not know that when you offer yourselves as obedient slaves, you are slaves to the one you obey, whether you are slaves to sin leading to death, or to obedience leading to righteousness?

2 Corinthians 1:9 Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead-

Only God can raise the dead to life, and we were dead in our sins when He made us alive.​

John 3:3- No one can see the Kingdom of God unless they are born again.

Only the new birth which comes from God, not ourselves is how we can see His Kingdom.​

John 1:13- children born not of blood, nor of the desire or will of man, but born of God.
John 5:21- For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom He is pleased to give it.
John 3:27, "John answered and said, 'A man can receive nothing, unless it has been given him from heaven.'"
John 6:44, “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day."
John 6:65, "And He was saying, ‘For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.’"

Coming to Christ can only happen when He draws us and enables us to come, its impossible to come by our free will since we are slaves of sin, in bondage to sin, and sin is our master.​

So IMHO free will does not exist until after we are born again then we have the capability to choose to sin or choose to obey God.
The free will debate will never be resolved on this side of heaven and most of us have our lines drawn in the sand with the issue.

hope this helps !!!
'For God so loved the world,
.. that He gave his only begotten Son,
.... that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish,
...... but have everlasting life.
........ For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world;
.......... but that the world through Him might be saved.
He that believeth on Him is not condemned:
.. but He that believeth not is condemned already,
.... because He hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.'

(John 3:16-18)

Hello @Christophany,

I have only read your OP. so have no idea what follows it, but I feel the need to comment on what you have said. Speaking personally, I heard the word of God concerning His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ in 1960, and on believing received life through His Name (John 20:31). For, ' ... faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.' (Rom 10:17)
* You have referenced John 6:44 & 65:-

'Jesus therefore answered and said unto them,
"Murmur not among yourselves.
No man can come to Me,
except the Father which hath sent Me draw him:
and I will raise him up at the last day.
It is written in the prophets
, (Isaiah 54:13 & Jeremiah 31:34)
And they shall be all taught of God.
Every man therefore that hath heard,
and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto Me. ...'
'... ... Verily, verily, I say unto you,
He that believeth on Me hath everlasting life...."'
(John 6:43-45 & 47)

'It is the spirit that quickeneth;
.. the flesh profiteth nothing:
.... the words that I speak unto you,
...... they are spirit, and they are life.

But there are some of you that believe not.
.. For Jesus knew from the beginning
.... who they were that believed not,
...... and who should betray Him.
And He said, Therefore said I unto you,
that no man can come unto Me,
except it were given unto him of My Father.'

(John 6:65)
* When I look at these statements spoken by the Lord, I do think about the fact that He was speaking unto His own countrymen, to the lost sheep of the house of Israel, during His first advent; and that only a remnant of that nation would believe on Him. The reason is given in Romans 11:-

'For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery,
.. lest ye should be wise in your own conceits;
.... that blindness in part is happened to Israel,
...... until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
And so all Israel shall be saved:
.. as it is written,
.... There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer,
...... and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
........ For this is My covenant unto them,
.......... when I shall take away their sins.
............ As concerning the gospel, - they are enemies for your sakes:
.............. but as touching the election, - they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.
................ For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
For as ye in times past have not believed God,
.. yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:
.... Even so have these also now not believed,
...... that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.
........ For God hath concluded them all in unbelief,
.......... that He might have mercy upon all.
O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
how unsearchable are His judgments, and His ways past finding out!'

(Romans 11:25-33)
* So I believe that it is possible that the words, '... no man can come to me except the Father Which Hath sent Me, draw Him.' Has an application to that time, and to that people. Though I am open for God to confirm or deny.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Christ

Last edited:

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looks like the Calvinists have managed to brainwash you.

Now kindly go back to the Bible and discover the truth. Just because human beings have inherited the sin nature does NOT mean that (a) the unsaved can do no good or righteous deeds, and (b) the unsaved cannot comprehend the Gospel or be drawn to Christ by the power of the Gospel and the power Holy Spirit.
In this portion of this response, I am ommitting where you wrote "or be drawn to Christ by the power of the Gospel and the power Holy Spirit".

Quotes of Lord Jesus establishes your assertion as false.

"men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil for everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed" (John 3:19-20)

There it is, Enoch111, evil people with evil deeds do not come to the Light which is Lord Jesus!

There is no scriptural support for your assertion.

In this portion of this response, I am restoring where you wrote "or be drawn to Christ by the power of the Gospel and the power Holy Spirit".

It is ONLY by the power of the Spirit of God that a person can be saved, for the person can do nothing, just as Lord Jesus explains to Nicodemus in John 3:3-8.

You leaven your post with free-will up against the power of "the power Holy Spirit". Your leaven spoils your free-will assertion.

There is no level that a person can choose Lord Jesus because He said "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) as well as "I chose you out of the world" (John 15:19, includes salvation) - Jesus, being God, did not provide any exception for choosing toward Jesus. Lord Jesus speaks to all believers in all time because He also said "I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word" (John 17:20)! All these words of Jesus are at the same supper! All glory is God's! With man, salvation is impossible (Matthew 19:25-26)! All glory in the salvation of man is God's (John 15:5, Isaiah 42:8, Psalm 3:8)!

Reactions: Waiting on him

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Had you gone to the previous chapter in Romans you would not disagree:

ROMANS 2: ALL MEN HAVE RECEIVED A CONSCIENCE FROM GOD
13 For not the hearers of the Law are just before God, but the doers of the Law shall be justified.
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the Law, do by nature the things contained in the Law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and
their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;
16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my Gospel.
Let us examine conscience.

conscience = syneidesis (Strong's Greek 4893)

syneidesis = from 4862 syn, "together with" and 1492 eido "to know, see"

conscience = together knowing

In Romans 2:15, two things are concurrently TOGETHER in agreement, hence the "together with" of syn, Greek 4862) as part of syneidesis. Here are the two "things":
(1) their hearts,
(2) their thoughts.

The eido, Greek 1492 as part of syneidesis, is the knowing/perceiving agreement between "their hearts" and "their thoughts".

Thus, to greatly generalize a paraphrase, heart and mind jointly together alternating between accusing or excusing.

There is no mention of "choice" nor "choose" in Romans 2:13-16.

conscience != free-will
(!= means not equal)

There is no level that a person can choose Lord Jesus because He said "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) as well as "I chose you out of the world" (John 15:19, includes salvation) - Jesus, being God, did not provide any exception for choosing toward Jesus. Lord Jesus speaks to all believers in all time because He also said "I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word" (John 17:20)! All these words of Jesus are at the same supper! All glory is God's! With man, salvation is impossible (Matthew 19:25-26)! All glory in the salvation of man is God's (John 15:5, Isaiah 42:8, Psalm 3:8)!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There it is, Enoch111, evil people with evil deeds do not come to the Light which is Lord Jesus!
Notice you said "evil people". But not all are evil, as we can clearly see from many passages of Scripture. Kindly go back to Romans 2 and see what the Holy Spirit says about the unsaved.

But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God... Which shew the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another...

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is no level that a person can choose Lord Jesus because He said "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) as well as "I chose you out of the world" (John 15:19, includes salvation) - Jesus, being God, did not provide any exception for choosing toward Jesus.
You are taking these verses out of context. If God were to choose some for salvation and others for damnation, He would be violating His own Gospel.

And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (Rev 22:17)

"Whosoever" means anyone and everyone -- without exception. And all are invited to take of the Water of Life freely.

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK. Let's discuss the Bible. Here is what you said:"So IMHO free will does not exist until after we are born again then we have the capability to choose to sin or choose to obey God."

While you may not have mentioned Calvin, it should be clear to all that you have presented the Calvinistic false teaching of Total Depravity. Which in fact claims that a sinner is regenerated BEFORE he or she believes. Which is total nonsense.

By making this statement, you have denied the power of the Gospel accompanied by the power of the Holy Spirit. Now if free will did not exist before conversion would God literally command all men everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30)? Repentance is a choice and a decision. A decision to turn from sin and evil and idols and turn to God (see the book of Jonah). This involves free will, since God does not compel men to repent, but He does command all men everywhere to repent.

Repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ are two sides of the same coin (Acts 20:21). Therefore Christ commanded His apostles (and the Church) to preach the Gospel to every creature. And the power of the Gospel brings salvation (Rom 1:16). So if unregenerate men could not respond to the Gospel, could God condemn them to Hell for failure to obey the Gospel? Yet this is what we read in Mark 16:15,16:

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
It is written in Scripture that God grants repentance (Acts 11:18), so your free-will assertions about repentance are rebellion against God.

Further examining your assertion.

"Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all everywhere should repent" (Acts 17:30)

Paul did not say "choose to repent", so no choice indicated contextually therein for Acts 17:30.

Even if the "all" in Acts 17:30 means literally every person everywhere, Paul essentially says that "the declaration is to repent". The declaration is not "to choose", but "to repent".

The word "repent" must be defined right now.

Repent: think differently afterwards

metanoeo (from 3326 /meta, "changed after being with" and 3539 /noieo, "think") ? properly, "think differently after," "after a change of mind"; to repent (literally, "think differently afterwards") (def from 3340. metanoeo HELPS Word-studies section).

Another example of the word "repent" is when Lord Jesus says "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (Matthew 4:17).

The word "repent" does not mean "I change my mind" as asserted by too many people. Try reciting the words of Jesus, where He is commanding the people in Matthew 4:17, except, first, replace the word "repent" with "I change my mind", then, second, replace the word "repent" with "think differently afterwards". God does not change (Malachi 3:6), so this One True God Jesus commands repent.

Let us dig into this "think differently afterward", after we believers are born from above (John 3:3), in like manner given the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16). The Greek word metanoeo is the English word "repent" in Matthew 4:17. Godly sorrow brings "thinking differently afterward" leading to salvation (2 Corinthians 7:10, so God's power generates this sorrow within the believers hence God calls it "Godly sorrow" thus illuminating and magnifying sin (Romans 5:20).

Free-willians attempt to make "repentance" a work of man. You posed a question, Enoch111, of "So if unregenerate men could not respond to the Gospel, could God condemn them to Hell for failure to obey the Gospel?". Unregenerate man is already in love with sin and unregenerate man is in a state of disobedience to the gospel of Christ, so unregenerate man are already condemned to hell (John 3:18-20).

In truth, God grants repentance (Acts 11:18).

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Christophany,
"Coming to Christ can only happen when He draws us and enables us to come, its impossible to come by our free will since we are slaves of sin, in bondage to sin, and sin is our master."

And...He DID draw all men unto Himself! :)
"And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself."
John 12:32

"So IMHO free will does not exist until after we are born again then we have the capability to choose to sin or choose to obey God."

We certainly need free will to respond to the Gospel. And, we can't be born again until we do hear the Gospel and then respond in acceptance or rejection. JMO brother.

It seems God gave Cain a chance to make the right decision, a warning really! As He does throughout His Word so, it just seems reasonable that God gave warnings and man either heed them by making correct choices or he doesn't.
Be blessed!
The word "men" does not appear in the Greek for John 12:32. Here are the words of Lord Jesus:

"And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all to Myself" (John 12:32).

The "all" in John 12:32 are Jesus' own people, His sheep, so here is more of Lord Jesus' words:

"I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me" (John 10:14).

Well, that settles it, Nancy, the "all" in John 12:32 are Jesus' own. See this, Lord Jesus won't miss a single one of His own people!

"This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day" (John 6:39).

Nancy, you essentially write that Lord Jesus is incapable of achieving the will of the Father.

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Notice you said "evil people". But not all are evil, as we can clearly see from many passages of Scripture. Kindly go back to Romans 2 and see what the Holy Spirit says about the unsaved.

But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God... Which shew the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another...
All unsaved people do evil works, and all saved people do good works by the power of God.

Paul compares and constrasts such with, first the unsaved people in Romans 2:9, then second the saved people in Romans 2:10. You quoted half of the equation in Romans 2:10.

You try to apply the portion about saved people to unsaved people. That word "but" at the beginning of Romans 2:10 is quite profound!

Behold, Paul wrote "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). Romans is a cohesive book, and Romans 2:9 and Romans 2:10 and Romans 3:23 are related.

But, you try to interpret scripture on your own, yet the Holy Spirit is required to interpret scripture (2 Peter 1:20-21).

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word "men" does not appear in the Greek for John 12:32. Here are the words of Lord Jesus:

"And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all to Myself" (John 12:32).

The "all" in John 12:32 are Jesus' own people, His sheep, so here is more of Lord Jesus' words:

"I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me" (John 10:14).

Well, that settles it, Nancy, the "all" in John 12:32 are Jesus' own. See this, Lord Jesus won't miss a single one of His own people!

"This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day" (John 6:39).

Nancy, you essentially write that Lord Jesus is incapable of achieving the will of the Father.

So then, I take it you are a proponent of T.U.L.I.P. or, at least the "U" part. I'm sorry brother but, I've had much dealings with Calvinists, have read a ton on it, have been discouraged to the point of giving up, attended a reformed Baptist church for almost 3 years so...I have heard it all many times, the "all" does not really mean "all", the "world" doesn't really mean the "world", so on and so forth. To me, this doctrine dash's hope into the ground, keeps one wondering ALL THE TIME...am I saved?? Am I?? Our GOOD God, I would think, does not want us walking on eggshells always wondering.
Well, God wishes for NONE to be lost and, this is what I believe. Otherwise...why even bother evangelizing??. So, I will accept the free "gift" He places in my heart.
If you and your wife have children...does it not bother you that God just might choose them for hell?
God Bless and keep you in ALL truth.

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are taking these verses out of context. If God were to choose some for salvation and others for damnation, He would be violating His own Gospel.

And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (Rev 22:17)

"Whosoever" means anyone and everyone -- without exception. And all are invited to take of the Water of Life freely.
"He would be violating His own Gospel" are your words, and your words fail to correspond to the Word of God.

First, you claim that Jesus Christ is wrong about the Gospel of Christ when He says "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) and "I chose you out of the world" (John 15:19, includes salvation). JESUS CHRIST IS THE CHRIST IN THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST.

EXAMINING REVELATION 22:17

According to self willed persons (2 Peter 2:9-10), such as yourself Enoch111, one must pay by making a "choice" to take the water of life, yet according to this verse, "the water of life" is "without cost".

Now, continuing with a careful grammatical examination of Revelation 22:17.

ho thelon labeto hydor zoes dorean (Greek Revelation 22:17)
the desiring receive water of-life gratuitously (English word for word from Greek Revelation 22:17)
let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost (NASB Revelation 22:17)

Grammatical constructs:
- ho is the direct object which translates to English as "the" which is not an indirect object.
- thelon is a verb.
- labeto a form of lambano both being a verb which carries not only "receive" but also "to be siezed by"
- the Greek word "hos" which translates to English as "who" is absent.
- the Greek word "pas" which translates to English as "every" is absent.

The word "ho"/"the" negates the possibility for the word whosoever whatsoever, for example "the whosoever" fails as nonsensical grammatically. There is NO "whosoever" in the passage of Revelation 22:17, in point of fact, this sounds much more like a promise with "the desiring receive water of-life gratuitously" (English word for word from Greek Revelation 22:17)!

Behold, "whosoever" is not there implicitly nor explictly. Free willers try to use "whosoever" as a promiscuos and permissive word.

In reality, the NASB translation is very close with "let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost" (Revelation 22:17) for which two Greek words translate to English as "the one who wishes" or "the one desiring" or "the one wanting" or "the desiring" or "the wanting", that context of Revelation 22:17 is attraction; moreover, when the Apostle John's words in Revelation 22:17 are taken in accord with Lord Jesus' words of "apart from Me you can do nothing" (John 15:5) thus there is no promiscuos nor permissive sense, so a person cannot "desire" the water of life without the Lord Jesus!

Regardless, this is NOT about salvation since a person cannot "choose" Lord Jesus because Lord Jesus said "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16), so "the desiring" mentioned in Revelation 22:17 are already chosen/elect by Lord Jesus.

The words nor the concept of man's choice exists in Revelation 22:17; therefore, you add free will to scripture thus you must be presented with the penalty specified by the Apostle John when he wrote "I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book" (Revelation 22:18-19).

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let us examine conscience.

conscience = syneidesis (Strong's Greek 4893)

syneidesis = from 4862 syn, "together with" and 1492 eido "to know, see"

conscience = together knowing

In Romans 2:15, two things are concurrently TOGETHER in agreement, hence the "together with" of syn, Greek 4862) as part of syneidesis. Here are the two "things":
(1) their hearts,
(2) their thoughts.

The eido, Greek 1492 as part of syneidesis, is the knowing/perceiving agreement between "their hearts" and "their thoughts".

Thus, to greatly generalize a paraphrase, heart and mind jointly together alternating between accusing or excusing.

There is no mention of "choice" nor "choose" in Romans 2:13-16.

conscience != free-will
(!= means not equal)

Um, how do you even know if YOU are truly saved?

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then, I take it you are a proponent of T.U.L.I.P. or, at least the "U" part. I'm sorry brother but, I've had much dealings with Calvinists, have read a ton on it, have been discouraged to the point of giving up, attended a reformed Baptist church for almost 3 years so...I have heard it all many times, the "all" does not really mean "all", the "world" doesn't really mean the "world", so on and so forth. To me, this doctrine dash's hope into the ground, keeps one wondering ALL THE TIME...am I saved?? Am I?? Our GOOD God, I would think, does not want us walking on eggshells always wondering.
Well, God wishes for NONE to be lost and, this is what I believe. Otherwise...why even bother evangelizing??. So, I will accept the free "gift" He places in my heart.
If you and your wife have children...does it not bother you that God just might choose them for hell?
God Bless and keep you in ALL truth.
Dear Nancy,

I do not promote subscribing to Calvin.

Nor, do I suggest attending a reformed Baptist church.

I do declare to stick with Scripture. The Word of God alone. I'm not saying without people around, but I am saying to be discernig about people imposing their interpretations upon Scripture for it is written "know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is [a matter] of one's own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God" (2 Peter 1:20-21).

All does mean "all", Nancy, but there can be conditional context defining the population represented by "all".

Nancy, the phrase "the whole world" appears twice in the First Book of John, once in 1 John 2:2 and a second time in 1 John 5:19. Each of these occurrences of "world" present a conditional context defining different populations represented by "world".

I noticed that you wrote "free 'gift' He places in my heart" which is meaningful, but there is leaven in the sentence that you wrote, and the leaven is your choice to "accept" which is a work by you. Your sentence contradicts itself. See that you've leavened the whole loaf of your sentence when your sentence is compared to the Word of God in the final paragraph of this post

My wife and I have children, and I praise the Lord Jesus for the love of God and people that He has put inside of each and every one of us. We have evangelized. God granted us opportunities with Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Humanists, Mormons, etc. We've handed Bibles to people in each of those groups mentioned, even Bibles in their own language, even when they did not speak English or barely spoke English or spoke English fluently. I tell you this as a demonstration of how God vitalizes the Word in us when He says "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:18-20).

In fact, Nancy, it's time for me to step away from this site, for a while at least, to be with my wife and children.

Dear Nancy, I give you the next paragraph in a peaceful way. The Scripture cannot be broken, and the Word of God is clear as indicated in the next paragraph.