Mans Inability to come to Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets just see how God paints man in his sinful state post fall.

Jeremiah 13:23- Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Neither can you do good who are accustomed to doing evil.

above we see man can do nothing to change his condition no more than a man can change the color of his skin or the leopard his spots. The same with sin and scripture makes it clear in numerous places we were dead in our sins when Christ made us alive.

Rom. 3:10-12, "as it is written, ‘There is none righteous, not even one; 11 There is none who understands, there is none who seeks for God; 12 All have turned aside, together they have become useless. There is none who does good, there is not even one.’"

Romans 6:16- Do you not know that when you offer yourselves as obedient slaves, you are slaves to the one you obey, whether you are slaves to sin leading to death, or to obedience leading to righteousness?

2 Corinthians 1:9 Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead-

Only God can raise the dead to life, and we were dead in our sins when He made us alive.

John 3:3- No one can see the Kingdom of God unless they are born again.

Only the new birth which comes from God, not ourselves is how we can see His Kingdom.

John 1:13- children born not of blood, nor of the desire or will of man, but born of God.

John 5:21- For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it.

John 3:27, "John answered and said, 'A man can receive nothing, unless it has been given him from heaven.'"

John 6:44, “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day."

John 6:65, "And He was saying, ‘For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.’"

Coming to Christ can only happen when He draws us and enables us to come, its impossible to come by our free will since we are slaves of sin, in bondage to sin, and sin is our master.

So IMHO free will does not exist until after we are born again then we have the capability to choose to sin or choose to obey God.

The free will debate will never be resolved on this side of heaven and most of us have our lines drawn in the sand with the issue.

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: brightfame52

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See John 1:12, Joshua 24:15, Revelation 22:17.

We cannot do good in and of ourselves; but if we call out to God in prayer to change us, He will do the work of transforming our hearts so that we will begin to do good, since we have now been regenerated and renewed.

He sheds abroad His love in the heart of the one who puts their faith in Him (Galatians 3:14, Romans 5:5).

Reactions: CharismaticLady

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See John 1:12, Joshua 24:15, Revelation 22:17.

We cannot do good in and of ourselves; but if we call out to God in prayer to change us, He will do the work of transforming our hearts so that we will begin to do good, since we have now been regenerated and renewed.

He sheds abroad His love in the heart of the one who puts their faith in Him (Galatians 3:14, Romans 5:5).
How can a dead person cry out? Crying out is a action of a living person not a dead one

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can a dead person cry out? Crying out is a action of a living person not a dead one
We are not physically dead before we come to Christ...

Anyone can cry out...like this:

Dear Jesus Christ of Nazareth, I admit that I am a sinner in need of a Saviour and I acknowledge that You are the Saviour that I need. I ask You to forgive me of my sins and make me new on the inside. I surrender all and I ask You to be the Lord of my life. And I confess You as Lord and I also confess that You are the Son of God even in conjunction with Isaiah 9:6. Please fill me with your Holy Spirit; and I will follow You all the days of my life. In Your Name I pray. Amen.

Now I suppose that many who pray such a thing for the first time, their heart may not be in it; however praying it is an act of faith; and even if your heart isn't in it totally, the Lord can bring you in the rest of the way; because He honours what little faith you may have.

Mar 9:16, And he asked the scribes, What question ye with them?
Mar 9:17, And one of the multitude answered and said, Master, I have brought unto thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit;
Mar 9:18, And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: and I spake to thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not.
Mar 9:19, He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me.
Mar 9:20, And they brought him unto him: and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tare him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming.
Mar 9:21, And he asked his father, How long is it ago since this came unto him? And he said, Of a child.
Mar 9:22, And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us.
Mar 9:23, Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
Mar 9:24, And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

Reactions: friend of

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So IMHO free will does not exist until after we are born again then we have the capability to choose to sin or choose to obey God.
Looks like the Calvinists have managed to brainwash you.

Now kindly go back to the Bible and discover the truth. Just because human beings have inherited the sin nature does NOT mean that (a) the unsaved can do no good or righteous deeds, and (b) the unsaved cannot comprehend the Gospel or be drawn to Christ by the power of the Gospel and the power Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Nancy

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
While the spirit of the unsaved in dead, the soul is very much alive, and the person is very much alive. Therefore the unsaved can indeed cry out to God.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just because human beings have inherited the sin nature does NOT mean that (a) the unsaved can do no good or righteous deeds,

I disagree with this thing in particular because of Romans 3:12.

and (b) the unsaved cannot comprehend the Gospel or be drawn to Christ by the power of the Gospel and the power Holy Spirit.

However, I do not disagree with this.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets just see how God paints man in his sinful state post fall.

Jeremiah 13:23- Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Neither can you do good who are accustomed to doing evil.

above we see man can do nothing to change his condition no more than a man can change the color of his skin or the leopard his spots. The same with sin and scripture makes it clear in numerous places we were dead in our sins when Christ made us alive.

Rom. 3:10-12, "as it is written, ‘There is none righteous, not even one; 11 There is none who understands, there is none who seeks for God; 12 All have turned aside, together they have become useless. There is none who does good, there is not even one.’"

Romans 6:16- Do you not know that when you offer yourselves as obedient slaves, you are slaves to the one you obey, whether you are slaves to sin leading to death, or to obedience leading to righteousness?

2 Corinthians 1:9 Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead-

Only God can raise the dead to life, and we were dead in our sins when He made us alive.

John 3:3- No one can see the Kingdom of God unless they are born again.

Only the new birth which comes from God, not ourselves is how we can see His Kingdom.

John 1:13- children born not of blood, nor of the desire or will of man, but born of God.

John 5:21- For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it.

John 3:27, "John answered and said, 'A man can receive nothing, unless it has been given him from heaven.'"

John 6:44, “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day."

John 6:65, "And He was saying, ‘For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.’"

Coming to Christ can only happen when He draws us and enables us to come, its impossible to come by our free will since we are slaves of sin, in bondage to sin, and sin is our master.

The free will debate will never be resolved on this side of heaven and most of us have our lines drawn in the sand with the issue.

hope this helps !!!

Hi Christophany,
"Coming to Christ can only happen when He draws us and enables us to come, its impossible to come by our free will since we are slaves of sin, in bondage to sin, and sin is our master."

And...He DID draw all men unto Himself! :)
"And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself."
John 12:32

"So IMHO free will does not exist until after we are born again then we have the capability to choose to sin or choose to obey God."

We certainly need free will to respond to the Gospel. And, we can't be born again until we do hear the Gospel and then respond in acceptance or rejection. JMO brother.

It seems God gave Cain a chance to make the right decision, a warning really! As He does throughout His Word so, it just seems reasonable that God gave warnings and man either heed them by making correct choices or he doesn't.
Be blessed!

Last edited:

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looks like the Calvinists have managed to brainwash you.

Now kindly go back to the Bible and discover the truth. Just because human beings have inherited the sin nature does NOT mean that (a) the unsaved can do no good or righteous deeds, and (b) the unsaved cannot comprehend the Gospel or be drawn to Christ by the power of the Gospel and the power Holy Spirit.
I not once mentioned calvin or anyone else except Scripture. Lets discuss the bible not who is brainwashed.

That would be like me telling you that Pelagius has brainwashed you. I'm sure you would not appreciate such rhetoric.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I disagree with this thing in particular because of Romans 3:12.
Had you gone to the previous chapter in Romans you would not disagree:

ROMANS 2: ALL MEN HAVE RECEIVED A CONSCIENCE FROM GOD
13 For not the hearers of the Law are just before God, but the doers of the Law shall be justified.
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the Law, do by nature the things contained in the Law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and
their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;
16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my Gospel.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Had you gone to the previous chapter in Romans you would not disagree:

ROMANS 2: ALL MEN HAVE RECEIVED A CONSCIENCE FROM GOD
13 For not the hearers of the Law are just before God, but the doers of the Law shall be justified.
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the Law, do by nature the things contained in the Law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and
their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;
16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my Gospel.
That is speaking of believing Gentiles.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Lets discuss the bible not who is brainwashed.
OK. Let's discuss the Bible. Here is what you said:"So IMHO free will does not exist until after we are born again then we have the capability to choose to sin or choose to obey God."

While you may not have mentioned Calvin, it should be clear to all that you have presented the Calvinistic false teaching of Total Depravity. Which in fact claims that a sinner is regenerated BEFORE he or she believes. Which is total nonsense.

By making this statement, you have denied the power of the Gospel accompanied by the power of the Holy Spirit. Now if free will did not exist before conversion would God literally command all men everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30)? Repentance is a choice and a decision. A decision to turn from sin and evil and idols and turn to God (see the book of Jonah). This involves free will, since God does not compel men to repent, but He does command all men everywhere to repent.

Repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ are two sides of the same coin (Acts 20:21). Therefore Christ commanded His apostles (and the Church) to preach the Gospel to every creature. And the power of the Gospel brings salvation (Rom 1:16). So if unregenerate men could not respond to the Gospel, could God condemn them to Hell for failure to obey the Gospel? Yet this is what we read in Mark 16:15,16:

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. It speaking of the conscience of all men. It says nothing about believing Gentiles, since they DO NOT know the Law! Read it again. They "have not the Law".
Yes...they are not governed by the law is what this is saying but by the love of the Holy Ghost that was shed abroad in their hearts through faith in Jesus Christ (Galatians 3:14, Romans 5:5).

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK. Let's discuss the Bible. Here is what you said:"So IMHO free will does not exist until after we are born again then we have the capability to choose to sin or choose to obey God."

While you may not have mentioned Calvin, it should be clear to all that you have presented the Calvinistic false teaching of Total Depravity. Which in fact claims that a sinner is regenerated BEFORE he or she believes. Which is total nonsense.

By making this statement, you have denied the power of the Gospel accompanied by the power of the Holy Spirit. Now if free will did not exist before conversion would God literally command all men everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30)? Repentance is a choice and a decision. A decision to turn from sin and evil and idols and turn to God (see the book of Jonah). This involves free will, since God does not compel men to repent, but He does command all men everywhere to repent.

Repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ are two sides of the same coin (Acts 20:21). Therefore Christ commanded His apostles (and the Church) to preach the Gospel to every creature. And the power of the Gospel brings salvation (Rom 1:16). So if unregenerate men could not respond to the Gospel, could God condemn them to Hell for failure to obey the Gospel? Yet this is what we read in Mark 16:15,16:

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Arminius taught T.D. as well. Do you tell that to Arminians ?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Arminius actually believed and taught that mankind has the ability to repent and believe (I think).
No he did not its the modern day arminian who teaches that doctrine. The classic arminians are with Arminius below:

Arminius writes,

In this state, the free will of man towards the true good is not only wounded, maimed, infirm, bent, and weakened; but it is also imprisoned, destroyed, and lost. And its powers are not only debilitated and useless unless they be assisted by grace, but it has no powers whatever except such as are excited by Divine grace. For Christ has said, ‘Without me ye can do nothing.’ St. Augustine, after having diligently meditated upon each word in this passage, speaks thus: ‘Christ does not say, without me ye can do but Little; neither does He say, without me ye can do any Arduous Thing, nor without me ye can do it with difficulty. But he says, without me ye can do Nothing! Nor does he say, without me ye cannot complete any thing; but without me ye can do Nothing.’ That this may be made more manifestly to appear, we will separately consider the mind, the affections or will, and the capability, as contra-distinguished from them, as well as the life itself of an unregenerate man.” .

“THIS is my opinion concerning the free-will of man: In his primitive condition as he came out of the hands of his creator, man was endowed with such a portion of knowledge, holiness and power, as enabled him to understand, esteem, consider, will, and to perform the true good, according to the commandment delivered to him. Yet none of these acts could he do, except through the assistance of Divine Grace. But in his lapsed and sinful state, man is not capable, of and by himself, either to think, to will, or to do that which is really good; but it is necessary for him to be regenerated and renewed in his intellect, affections or will, and in all his powers, by God in Christ through the Holy Spirit, that he may be qualified rightly to understand, esteem, consider, will, and perform whatever is truly good. When he is made a partaker of this regeneration or renovation, I consider that, since he is delivered from sin, he is capable of thinking, willing and doing that which is good, but yet not without the continued aids of Divine Grace.”
Jacobus Arminius: Works of James Arminius, Vol. 1 - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

hope this helps !!!

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While the spirit of the unsaved in dead, the soul is very much alive, and the person is very much alive. Therefore the unsaved can indeed cry out to God.
Thats not true, not Spiritually. Man is dead Spiritually, his soul is dead to God ! And a dead man cant cry out to anyone. His only hope is if God has willed to raise him from the dead !