Mary found the tomb empty...where did Jesus body go?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what happened to His body?
When He was on the cross His last words were "It is finished"...bowed His head and gave up the ghost..
“When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.”
— John 19:30 (KJV)
(This tells us that when we die our spirit/ghost leaves the body)

So now the third day has come and Mary and the disciples discover Jesus body is gone....
John 20 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹ The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
² Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.
³ Peter therefore went forth, and that other disciple, and came to the sepulchre.
⁴ So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.
⁵ And he stooping down, and looking in, saw the linen clothes lying; yet went he not in.
⁶ Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,
⁷ And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.
⁸ Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed.
⁹ For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.
¹⁰ Then the disciples went away again unto their own home.
¹¹ But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,
¹² And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
¹³ And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.
¹⁴ And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.

Now we have a dilemma....
If Jesus ghost left his body when He was on the Cross then He must have re-entered His body...(His spirit) in order for Mary to see Him in the flesh....

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
When He was on the cross His last words were "It is finished"...bowed His head and gave up the ghost..
“When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.”

So now the third day has come and Mary and the disciples discover Jesus body is gone....
John 20 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹ The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
² Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.
³ Peter therefore went forth, and that other disciple, and came to the sepulchre.
⁴ So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.
⁵ And he stooping down, and looking in, saw the linen clothes lying; yet went he not in.
⁶ Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,
⁷ And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.
⁸ Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed.
⁹ For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.
¹¹ But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,
¹² And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
¹³ And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.
¹⁴ And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.

If Jesus ghost left his body when He was on the Cross then He must have re-entered His body...(His spirit) in order for Mary to see Him in the flesh....

That's exactly what happened , the question should be where was He for those 3 days.
It was written that Christ flesh would not see corruption

Psalms 16:9 "Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: My flesh also shall rest in hope."

This is Jesus speaking; that tabernacle of flesh shall rest in hope. This is also quoted in the book of Acts in the New Testament. Verses eight through eleven are taken from Acts 2:25-28.

Psalms 16:10 "For Thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; Neither wilt Thou suffer Thine Holy One to see corruption."

"Corruption" pertains to when the flesh body turns to ashes. So what this is saying is that Christ's body is one body that God would not allow that precious flesh even to turn to the dust of the earth that it was made of. It would not be allowed to happen. Christ did not let His soul rest in hell, because He had things to do; to preach to the lost, and to lead lost souls out of captivity. When Jesus was there He taught the truths that those souls had not heard in their flesh bodies.

I Peter 3:18-19; "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the Just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:" [18] "By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison."

Jesus Christ paid the price four days before on the cross so when the Messiah came out of that tomb, he brought with him all those that heard the message and believed. So Jesus taught all those souls in paradise, all the way back to the beginning.

I Peter 3:20 "Which sometimes were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water."

Though it states Noah, it is the beginning, which goes to the beginning of mankind in the flesh. Jesus Christ gave them the same right and opportunity that you and I have today, for we know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for each of individually. Then millions of them overcame, and came follow Christ into heaven. Christ freed them and released them from the bonds of prison that their souls were in. But Jesus flesh body was not left in the tomb, for the sake of the hope of Christians to be a visual reminder for teaching, Father had to raise the entire body, including Christ's flesh body.

The thought of most men and women today is that when you put the dead flesh into the grave, their traditions have taught them that the soul is going into the grave right along with that dead corpse, for they just cannot see that the soul goes instantly to be with the Father. Ecclesiastes 12:7 "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto the God [the Father] Who gave it." They just can't accept that the beautiful soul of that person leaves instantly at the time of death to be with Father. The real person is not the flesh that you gaze upon in this earth age, but the Soul and Spirit that dwells for the short time in that flesh body made from the elements of this earth. The part of you that is eternal is not your flesh, but your soul, and its intellect your spirit. Christ's body, however, was an exception for His flesh did not see corruption. It did not stay nor see the grave, but He arose from the dead.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's exactly what happened , the question should be where was He for those 3 days.
It was written that Christ flesh would not see corruption

Psalms 16:9 "Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: My flesh also shall rest in hope."

This is Jesus speaking; that tabernacle of flesh shall rest in hope. This is also quoted in the book of Acts in the New Testament. Verses eight through eleven are taken from Acts 2:25-28.

Psalms 16:10 "For Thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; Neither wilt Thou suffer Thine Holy One to see corruption."

"Corruption" pertains to when the flesh body turns to ashes. So what this is saying is that Christ's body is one body that God would not allow that precious flesh even to turn to the dust of the earth that it was made of. It would not be allowed to happen. Christ did not let His soul rest in hell, because He had things to do; to preach to the lost, and to lead lost souls out of captivity. When Jesus was there He taught the truths that those souls had not heard in their flesh bodies.

I Peter 3:18-19; "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the Just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:" [18] "By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison."

Jesus Christ paid the price four days before on the cross so when the Messiah came out of that tomb, he brought with him all those that heard the message and believed. So Jesus taught all those souls in paradise, all the way back to the beginning.

I Peter 3:20 "Which sometimes were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water."

Though it states Noah, it is the beginning, which goes to the beginning of mankind in the flesh. Jesus Christ gave them the same right and opportunity that you and I have today, for we know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for each of individually. Then millions of them overcame, and came follow Christ into heaven. Christ freed them and released them from the bonds of prison that their souls were in. But Jesus flesh body was not left in the tomb, for the sake of the hope of Christians to be a visual reminder for teaching, Father had to raise the entire body, including Christ's flesh body.

The thought of most men and women today is that when you put the dead flesh into the grave, their traditions have taught them that the soul is going into the grave right along with that dead corpse, for they just cannot see that the soul goes instantly to be with the Father. Ecclesiastes 12:7 "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto the God [the Father] Who gave it." They just can't accept that the beautiful soul of that person leaves instantly at the time of death to be with Father. The real person is not the flesh that you gaze upon in this earth age, but the Soul and Spirit that dwells for the short time in that flesh body made from the elements of this earth. The part of you that is eternal is not your flesh, but your soul, and its intellect your spirit. Christ's body, however, was an exception for His flesh did not see corruption. It did not stay nor see the grave, but He arose from the dead.
I am very impressed! Your commentary is very detailed and complete regarding the OP.
This is why I love Bible Study...some members give excellent insight into the meaning of scripture and I learn things I hadn't seen before.
Your explanation of corruption really hit home for me. One of those "a-ha!" moments.
Since Jesus never sinned then there was no corruption in His flesh.....totally awesome!

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
I am very impressed! Your commentary is very detailed and complete regarding the OP.
This is why I love Bible Study...some members give excellent insight into the meaning of scripture and I learn things I hadn't seen before.
Your explanation of corruption really hit home for me. One of those "a-ha!" moments.
Since Jesus never sinned then there was no corruption in His flesh.....totally awesome!

Thanks ,however the commentary was not mine ,the source is below .

psalms16

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
By the time Mary came to the tomb Christ had already risen from the dead. He may have already gone to the Heavenly Sanctuary between His resurrection and His appearance to Mary. But He would be going back to Heaven a second time before He visited the other disciples (therefore He told Mary not to touch Him). He had already appeared to the other women before He appeared to Mary, and Mary lingered at the tomb (in unbelief) instead of believing the angels the first time they spoke to the women.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As Col 1:18 says:-
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

Jesus is the first born from among the dead. Not the first to be raised to life, many others had been raised to life, but the first resurrected to eternal life with the new spiritual body.

As Paul writes about those who will be alive when Jesus returns, ' We Will be Changed ! ' So Jesus's physical body was instantly chenged into the heavenly spiritual body.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Paul writes about those who will be alive when Jesus returns, ' We Will be Changed ! ' So Jesus's physical body was instantly chenged into the heavenly spiritual body.
I would elaborate that His body was changed into something with very different properties, yet which Mary could recognize as "Jesus":

42 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a ψυχικόν body, it is raised a πνευματικόν body. (1 Corinthians 15:35-57, focusing on verses 42-44)

ψυχικόν: "psuchikon" - animated by the psuche, the soul, the animating principle of life breathed into the dirt from which Adam was made in Genesis 2:7.

πνευματικόν "pneumatikon" - animated by the pneuma, the spirit.

Different animating principles. Which begs the question: What is the difference between a person's "soul" and "spirit"? I guess the soul can sin ("the soul that sins shall die"); the spirit cannot.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The above was pointed out to me by N.T. Wright in his book, Surprised by Hope. I was led to this book after my grandson asked at my mother-in-law's Service of Death and Resurrection, "Will people in Heaven wear clothes?". This innocent remark by a seven-year-old made me wonder why we talk about "going to Heaven" at funerals, when the Bible verses proclaimed at those funerals talk of "Resurrection".

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The above was pointed out to me by N.T. Wright in his book, Surprised by Hope. I was led to this book after my grandson asked at my mother-in-law's Service of Death and Resurrection, "Will people in Heaven wear clothes?". This innocent remark by a seven-year-old made me wonder why we talk about "going to Heaven" at funerals, when the Bible verses proclaimed at those funerals talk of "Resurrection".
Aren't we dressed in robes?...this is a good question...I find it ironic that scripture tells us to "put on" the garment of praise, wear the robe of righteousness, put on the garment of salvation....etc.
Obviously these are spiritual garments...
But I believe we will wear white robes.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By the time Mary came to the tomb Christ had already risen from the dead. He may have already gone to the Heavenly Sanctuary between His resurrection and His appearance to Mary. But He would be going back to Heaven a second time before He visited the other disciples (therefore He told Mary not to touch Him). He had already appeared to the other women before He appeared to Mary, and Mary lingered at the tomb (in unbelief) instead of believing the angels the first time they spoke to the women.
I am looking into this and hopefully find out for sure.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would elaborate that His body was changed into something with very different properties, yet which Mary could recognize as "Jesus":

42 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a ψυχικόν body, it is raised a πνευματικόν body. (1 Corinthians 15:35-57, focusing on verses 42-44)

ψυχικόν: "psuchikon" - animated by the psuche, the soul, the animating principle of life breathed into the dirt from which Adam was made in Genesis 2:7.

Different animating principles. Which begs the question: What is the difference between a person's "soul" and "spirit"? I guess the soul can sin ("the soul that sins shall die"); the spirit cannot.
Interesting question....I thought soul was the mind and spirit the life breath of God....now I need to do some searching.

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 20 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I think the answer to your question lies in 1 Corinthians 15:35-54. Those that are His at His coming will receive a new, incorruptible body. Jesus is the first person to whom this happened. That is what makes Him "firstborn from the dead." Just like the heavenly bodies, some of these resurrected bodies will shine brighter in the world to come. We all received a natural body. We will all receive a spiritual body. This is the body that will receive the judgment for what was done in the first body. (2 Corinthians 5:10, Revelation 20:12-13)

Notice that we are not judged regarding what we thought about the resurrected body, or if we thought Jesus is Michael, whether Judas was saved, or any other mental exercise. We are judged according to our WORKS. Dead works are those that honor dead gods. Living works are those that honor the Living God.

As it turns out, your post actually cites the verses exposing what has been taught incorrectly for 1,700 years.

Jesus was to be resurrected "on the third day." He was not to be raised at night. When Mary arrived it was still dark, but Jesus was already gone. That means He rose on the Sabbath.

Wednesday night, Thursday.
Thursday night, Friday.
Friday night, Saturday.

Rising at the end of the day on Saturday (Sabbath) would be "three days and three nights, rising on the third day." He is, after all, Lord of the Sabbath.
The "Good Friday" myth comes from the hijacking of the faith by people who did not know the Law. The Bible says His followers wanted to remove His body before the Sabbath, so those who are unlearned in the Law assumed that meant the crucifixion was on Friday. They did not know that the day after Passover was always an added Sabbath.

It is the only way the women could have bought spices before returning to the tomb. Thursday AND Saturday were both Sabbath days that week. Friday was the only day they could have legally bought anything. We are told they rested on the Sabbath.

On the day after the Sabbath of the Passover week is when the High Priest would wave the first fruits offering. (Leviticus 23:10-12)
The first fruits: Matthew 27:52

That is why Jesus said, "don't touch me." As High Priest He could not risk being touched by a woman for reasons you can read for yourself in Leviticus 15:19-30.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

great question. I’m still stuck on how God Himself buried Moses when God is Spirit. Did God go get a shovel?

if I speculate your question though I would consider: a body God prepared for Him. And the Spirit of God poured out on His body, that is His body the church which members are added unto His body until we come to the full measure of the body of Christ; that as He was in the world so are we. Where did the Spirit He gave up unto God go when the word says Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

do we not rejoice in being filled with His Spirit? So what body does His Spirit enter into where ‘he endured for the Joy set before him’

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 20 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Mary found the tomb empty...where did Jesus body go?

You know maam, that is a very interesting question, unfortunately the Bible does not say. It goes on to say that it would not see corruption, which some take to mean the body will not decay, and is still here somewhere on earth. I personally think it means that it would not decay prior to Jesus being resurrected. Jesus appeared many times bodily, but not in the body that was buried as not one individual recognized him physically. So I have often wondered that myself, the truth is that anything said is speculative and we will have to wait until after the return of Jesus to get the real answer. I wish I could shed more light on this, but like you I am going to have to wait for the answer myself.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

John 20 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

@Heart2Soul His ascension (Matthew 28) was indeed a bodily one. Our Great High Priest (Hebrews) is passed into the heavens.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the glorified resurrected body became one with one who sits in throne; made into the Lord God Almighty. God all in all; full Godhead in Christ. Alpha and Omega.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the answer to your question lies in 1 Corinthians 15:35-54. Those that are His at His coming will receive a new, incorruptible body. Jesus is the first person to whom this happened. That is what makes Him "firstborn from the dead." Just like the heavenly bodies, some of these resurrected bodies will shine brighter in the world to come. We all received a natural body. We will all receive a spiritual body. This is the body that will receive the judgment for what was done in the first body. (2 Corinthians 5:10, Revelation 20:12-13)

Notice that we are not judged regarding what we thought about the resurrected body, or if we thought Jesus is Michael, whether Judas was saved, or any other mental exercise. We are judged according to our WORKS. Dead works are those that honor dead gods. Living works are those that honor the Living God.

As it turns out, your post actually cites the verses exposing what has been taught incorrectly for 1,700 years.

Jesus was to be resurrected "on the third day." He was not to be raised at night. When Mary arrived it was still dark, but Jesus was already gone. That means He rose on the Sabbath.

Wednesday night, Thursday.
Thursday night, Friday.
Friday night, Saturday.

Rising at the end of the day on Saturday (Sabbath) would be "three days and three nights, rising on the third day." He is, after all, Lord of the Sabbath.
The "Good Friday" myth comes from the hijacking of the faith by people who did not know the Law. The Bible says His followers wanted to remove His body before the Sabbath, so those who are unlearned in the Law assumed that meant the crucifixion was on Friday. They did not know that the day after Passover was always an added Sabbath.

It is the only way the women could have bought spices before returning to the tomb. Thursday AND Saturday were both Sabbath days that week. Friday was the only day they could have legally bought anything. We are told they rested on the Sabbath.

On the day after the Sabbath of the Passover week is when the High Priest would wave the first fruits offering. (Leviticus 23:10-12)
The first fruits: Matthew 27:52

That is why Jesus said, "don't touch me." As High Priest He could not risk being touched by a woman for reasons you can read for yourself in Leviticus 15:19-30.
Sorry for being blunt here.

Oh, for Pete' sake!! That verse you quote has to do with being on a period!!! The Bible does not mention Mary being on her period.
John 20:17 "Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." He didn't say, "Touch Me not, for it is thy time of the month." He did not appear to the disciples either until after He ascended to his Father. They didn't have periods.

I cannot believe how much crap is posted on this forum that denigrates women. I have seen some wild stuff here, from some dude telling us that he is sorry, but only men go to heaven, because angels are men, and some other dude thinking he should never listen to women because they might be under the influence of other spirits, to a dude who wants to have a woman who can hardly function in society.

It is appalling. I assume that anyone who looks down on women that much has a propensity for abuse.

Reactions: Lambano

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry for being blunt here.

Oh, for Pete' sake!! That verse you quote has to do with being on a period!!! The Bible does not mention Mary being on her period.
John 20:17 "Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." He didn't say, "Touch Me not, for it is thy time of the month." He did not appear to the disciples either until after He ascended to his Father. They didn't have periods.

I cannot believe how much crap is posted on this forum that denigrates women. I have seen some wild stuff here, from some dude telling us that he is sorry, but only men go to heaven, because angels are men, and some other dude thinking he should never listen to women because they might be under the influence of other spirits, to a dude who wants to have a woman who can hardly function in society.

It is appalling. I assume that anyone who looks down on women that much has a propensity for abuse.

Unless Jesus was privy to Mary's personal life, He wouldn't know if she were, or not.

He didn't appear to the disciples at that time because they weren't there until He returned. It would be likely that had it been a man at the tomb instead of Mary, He would have said the very same thing. Men have occasion to be in exactly the same state for different reasons.

The High Priest would have been in seclusion for the purpose of mitigating the possibility of being rendered unclean by ANY other person, man OR woman.

Jesus reached out and touched lepers, but He didn't do it on the day He would be entering the heavenly Temple.

Your accusations are baseless and immature.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good stuff there! I think the renewing of the mind is transfering control from soul to spirit.

Much love!

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia

John 20 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Peace to you Heart2Soul.
When I saw your title, the first thought that came to mind was Jude 9.
No doubt the Devil was clueless about where Jesus body went, or what happened to it, but just as we do not know where Moses body went, we do not know where Jesus body went.

You mentioned a dilemma.
You said "If Jesus ghost left his body"... I think you refer to Matthew 27:50 When Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, He yielded up His spirit.
Reading right to left... τὸ (Greek - pneuma - spirit) πνεῦμα Ὁ δὲ Ἰησοῦς πάλιν, κράξας φωνῇ μεγάλῃ, ἀφῆκεν
So, my using spirit instead of ghost won't confuse you... I hope.
I understand then that the spirit is not like a shadowy figure
ghost_1f47b.png
as many people believe, but rather, as the Bible says, like breath pneuma: wind, spirit.
I'm reminded of Adam, when he was made alive. It was that same breath, or spirit, that made him alive.
Genesis 2:7
7 then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.

Once Adam died, he expired, and that spirit (breath of life) went out.
The Bible says, "the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it." Ecclesiastes 12:7

Jesus body did not return to the dust... come to think of it, the Bible does not say it was from the dust, but "a body have you prepared for me" (Hebrews 10:5).
Jesus' body didn't decay... not because it couldn't, since it was flesh, but God did not allow it to... fulfilling prophecy - Act 2:25-27

Did Jesus' spirit return to his body?
The answer we evidently get from the Bible is No.

Jesus got a new body - an incorruptable one, not made of flesh, but a heavenly spirit body, (1 Corinthians 15:42-56) and far greater than even those of his heavenly companions, or brothers. (Hebrews 1:9)
Based on the scriptures, when God sends forth the spirit, what is created has been made new. Psalms 104:30 - When you send forth your Spirit, they are created...
An old body does not work... but rather, God gives it a body.

It's as Jesus illustrated. "... no one puts new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the wine will burst the skins - and the wine is destroyed, and so are the skins. But new wine is for fresh wineskins." - Mark 2:22

This understanding removes any apparent dilemma.