Mature Spiritual Christians No Longer Need the Written Word?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lectio Divina is a Benedictine practice of meditating on scripture that has been practiced for centuries before the Reformation
If you had read any of the links I had posted, you would have realized I already knew that.
Besides it impresses me zero %. The Apostles and Prophets never taught it or practiced it...and they were centuries before the apostate Benedictines as well as received true revelation from God and not seducing spirits.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. The reason why a non-literal interpretation of the Bible is so dangerous is that it takes the purifying fire out of the gospel. When the Bible is spiritualized, reading and studying it becomes a mere intellectual exercise--lacking convicting power toward repentance. Salvation does not come with the mere agreement on what constitutes sin and that we should refrain from it. Sincere grief over sin--a "cutting to the quick" causes true repentance--which is part of the salvation and sanctification process. "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9) Again, coming to true repentance, through the convicting power of the Holy Spirit, is an integral part of the granting of the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit (without which, we are "none of His"--Romans 8:9). Peter spoke to the "God-fearing" crowd at Pentecost: "Peter replied, 'Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit'." (Acts 2:38) Doing the task of "penance" on a rosary does not accomplish true repentance.
YES, Yes, yes and a thousand yes's. :)

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The term New age does not mean the beliefs or spiritual practices are "new".

"New Age" mysticism is merely re-packaged Old Age pagan mysticism. When the Bible is not the strong foundation underpinning faith and the practice of it, we are left with mysticism and the opinions of mere men on God. The Apostle Paul criticizes this error well in Romans 1. "...And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like..." (vs. 21)

Last edited:
Reactions: tzcho2 and prism

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"New Age" mysticism is merely re-packaged Old Age pagan mysticism. When the Bible is not the strong foundation underpinning faith and the practice of it, we are left with mysticism and the opinions of mere men on God. The Apostle Paul criticizes this error well in Romans 1. "...And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like..." (vs. 21)
Yes, even more is included in that category -- basically everything the Holy God of the Bible condemns.

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lectio Divina is a Benedictine practice of meditating on scripture that has been practiced for centuries before the Reformation

Isn't the idea to use a word or couple of words from the Bible repeating them as a means to clear the mind of cluttered thought and better experience God?

Do I have that right?

Much love!

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Isn't the idea to use a word or couple of words from the Bible repeating them as a means to clear the mind of cluttered thought and better experience God?

Do I have that right?

Much love!

The Bible never tells us to do such things. "Clearing the mind" is a mystical practice and the Bible teaches us to "reason together" over the words of Scripture.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: @Lady Crosstalk You have an MS in counselling, don't you? I think you've probably developed strategies that differ quite markedly from what psychology professors teach, be they called evangelical or not.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible never tells us to do such things. "Clearing the mind" is a mystical practice and the Bible teaches us to "reason together" over the words of Scripture.
Hi LC,
This comes to mind:

Ecclesiastes 5:2
Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few.

Habakkuk 2:20
But the LORD is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him.

Nothing we have to say has any comparison to anything God has to say. We should consider the message of these verses, let these truths remain in our minds, as we dwell on them during the day, letting God's Word form our minds, not empty them.

I know you know this!

But I was also wondering if Aspen had a different actual practice.

Much love!

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
PS: @Lady Crosstalk You have an MS in counselling, don't you? I think you've probably developed strategies that differ quite markedly from what psychology professors teach, be they called evangelical or not.

Even though I have an MS in counseling psychology, I have had to "forget" much of it because it is frequently ungodly. I actually prefer to call myself a Biblical counselor as the Bible has all the truth we will ever need to live a life that is pleasing to God--which is all that anyone ever needs for living a happy life. :)

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi LC,
This comes to mind:

Ecclesiastes 5:2
Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few.

Habakkuk 2:20
But the LORD is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him.

Nothing we have to say has any comparison to anything God has to say. We should consider the message of these verses, let these truths remain in our minds, as we dwell on them during the day, letting God's Word form our minds, not empty them.

I know you know this!

But I was also wondering if Aspen had a different actual practice.

Much love!

Yes--I agree. Keeping silence before Him is not at all the same as "clearing the mind" which can be a "mind-altering" practice. When we keep silence before Him, it is because we are in awe of His majesty. All of heaven will keep silence for one-half hour--likely in awe of the wrath that will be poured out on inhabitants of the earth in God's exacting vengeful justice against those who have violated Him and His children.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes--I agree. Keeping silence before Him is not at all the same as "clearing the mind" which can be a "mind-altering" practice. When we keep silence before Him, it is because we are in awe of His majesty. All of heaven will keep silence for one-half hour--likely in awe of the wrath that will be poured out on inhabitants of the earth in God's exacting vengeful justice against those who have violated Him and His children.
Yes it is mind-altering, it's a buddhist , and yogic as well as occultic technique.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Bowing in humble adoration is far better than being caught up in the strife of tongues (Psalm 31.20).