"Milk" is Doctrine, "Meat" is.....?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LoL. You used to drive me crazy too. :p

This was me whenever I would read another one of your posts. Sort of that, "I'm not amused" look.

bertie%2Bface%2Bcloseup%2Bkitchen.jpg
This one has green eyes . I see an orange fuzzy friend in the background .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So yes, I've got a lot of time on my hands sometimes, and this seems like a better way to fill it than other things I could do, like endlessly scanning the news, or watching even more cute cat videos, but I wouldn't say, Mark JUST likes a lot of conversation. Because we have an opportunity here to really edify each other! And that's what I really want.

Much love!

:) Just try to understand that constant questioning and disputing of the points made by others can sometimes grate on the nerves. Once you get under their skin, whatever you have to say next won't edify. It will cause people to get their fur up.

DailyBanners26.png

If you get the one on the right, it's sort of cute, although they won't look at it that way. If you get the one on the left - more of an adult version - things could get decidedly ugly in a hurry.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:) Just try to understand that constant questioning and disputing of the points made by others can sometimes grate on the nerves. Once you get under their skin, whatever you have to say next won't edify. It will cause people to get their fur up.

DailyBanners26.png

If you get the one on the right, it's sort of cute, although they won't look at it that way. If you get the one on the left - more of an adult version - things could get decidedly ugly in a hurry.
Dont underestimate the small black kitten .
I still remember , as though it were yesterday , both the event and the dire pain
when i , as a youth of nine years old was chasing these kittens that were at a house as i walked home from school .
I still remember my friend scott cheered as i actually caught one . THEN stood and wondered why i dropped it
and was hollering . IT BIT MY FINGER . AND man that did hurt . I dropped that kitten like it was boiling water .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:) Just try to understand that constant questioning and disputing of the points made by others can sometimes grate on the nerves.
To a point I count on others to not reply to me if they don't wish to engage with me, just the same, yes, there is a real value in understanding the dynamics of our various discussions.

Of course, for myself, unless someone is being mean or dishonest, I don't mind detailed questioning, as I believe correctly understanding God's truth is a big part of our transformation. Identifying the target is the first step towards hitting it.

Much love!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To a point I count on others to not reply to me if they don't wish to engage with me, just the same, yes, there is a real value in understanding the dynamics of our various discussions.

Of course, for myself, unless someone is being mean or dishonest, I don't mind detailed questioning, as I believe correctly understanding God's truth is a big part of our transformation. Identifying the target is the first step towards hitting it.

Much love!

I've learned through experience not to be as demanding about people assenting to my arguments. I have a natural ability to be persuasive, both by reason and force of personality, but insisting that people "listen" used to bring out the worst in me. Immaturity on my part, and where I needed real growth to become fit for forum life.

Nowadays I pretty much expect that no one will listen, LoL, so if I can at least leave someone without much of a legitimate, logical response, I figure I've done my job. But yeah, my approach is somewhat different. I usually enter a conversation already having come to a conclusion on the matter (like most of us, I suspect), but occasionally someone still surprises me with something I've never seen before.

In the end, it's good for the mind. But I'm still not one for going round and round for pages on end. I look for someone to present their best argument, I present mine, and we leave it to the reader to decide. Then on to the next question.

Reactions: marks

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

DailyBanners26.png

For sure and for certain , let none try and pet the tabby . IF i arched my back like that it would never be in alignment again .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've learned through experience not to be as demanding about people assenting to my arguments. I have a natural ability to be persuasive, both by reason and force of personality, but insisting that people "listen" used to bring out the worst in me. Immaturity on my part, and where I needed real growth to become fit for forum life.

Nowadays I pretty much expect that no one will listen, LoL, so if I can at least leave someone without much of a legitimate, logical response, I figure I've done my job. But yeah, my approach is somewhat different. I usually enter a conversation already having come to a conclusion on the matter (like most of us, I suspect), but occasionally someone still surprises me with something I've never seen before.

In the end, it's good for the mind. But I'm still not one for going round and round for pages on end. I look for someone to present their best argument, I present mine, and we leave it to the reader to decide. Then on to the next question.
I agree, there is nothing to be gained in some feeling of insistence over how someone is going to respond.

I've learned to not expect one way of the other. Hope for a good response, and allow for a better one if you get a poor one.

Some threads, I'm the same way, having fairly settled idea on the topic, but I've learned there are so many different ways to see things, often times, I'm just exploring someone's POV. And then I start seeing inconsistencies, and I often will ask or comment concerning them. Sometimes people don't repond at all, sometimes they will skirt the issue, and deflect. Sometimes they'll get all personal, making all manner of ad hominem arguments, and sometimes, someone will give a reasoned and level response.

I love those times!

I really do look to others to absent themself once it's no longer good for them. I have to watch myself just the same, endeavor to step back at certain times. Sometimes it just seems that the Spirit wants me to continue with a person. And I never mind this kind of communication. Metacommunication.

Much love!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, there is nothing to be gained in some feeling of insistence over how someone is going to respond.

I've learned to not expect one way of the other. Hope for a good response, and allow for a better one if you get a poor one.

Some threads, I'm the same way, having fairly settled idea on the topic, but I've learned there are so many different ways to see things, often times, I'm just exploring someone's POV. And then I start seeing inconsistencies, and I often will ask or comment concerning them. Sometimes people don't repond at all, sometimes they will skirt the issue, and deflect. Sometimes they'll get all personal, making all manner of ad hominem arguments, and sometimes, someone will give a reasoned and level response.

I love those times!

I really do look to others to absent themself once it's no longer good for them. I have to watch myself just the same, endeavor to step back at certain times. Sometimes it just seems that the Spirit wants me to continue with a person. And I never mind this kind of communication. Metacommunication.

Much love!
Speaking of meta , watch out for what is coming . mark zuckerberg and others are pushing something onto society
that will enslave it .

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
gee, i wonder what if my meat offends my brother means?
lol
Many people approve of what Solomon wrote until it comes to considering how it applies to themselves:

"All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits." Prov. 16:2

When is it that we are to look at ourselves... asking God to help us see our own uncleanness so that somehow we may become clean?

"For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." Matt 7:2

What will one find when he purposely visits the lowest room instead always trying to start always at his previously held position?

"And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted." Matt 23:12

Reactions: bbyrd009

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The things of this world are growing strangely dim the closer I get to him. The experience of His presence is very real in my life, as I have nothing else.
The outer man decays, the inner man is restored, His work is effective, and I praise Him and thank Him for it, for you, and for me, He knows our need.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And then I start seeing inconsistencies, and I often will ask or comment concerning them.

I think part of my latter stages of maturity now involves understanding how much work is often involved, especially when it comes to someone who will question everything. A member got mad at me the other day for not fully explaining myself, but I was judging by her earlier responses that she was up to speed on the subject and I wouldn't need to. My bad for fast-forwarding too quickly in trying to advance the conversation.

It takes work, although I'm hoping to be more dedicated to forum life eventually, at which time I will have more time on my hands to take things more slowly, and be more deliberate and methodical about in my responses.
Some threads, I'm the same way, having fairly settled idea on the topic, but I've learned there are so many different ways to see things

On this, I've come to a recent conclusion, one not particularly comfortable, but necessary to embrace nonetheless for those who would grow to full maturity: There are numerous Biblical truths that, while supported by scripture, actually cannot be proven out beyond any doubt; MANY of them. I learned this especially from studying Jehovahs Witness doctrines. They find SO many loopholes in original texts that you eventually have to resign yourself to the fact that only as the Spirit reveals things to people will they get it. The prevailing evidence is there in scripture for the Trinity, for conscious existence in Hell, and for other critical doctrines of the faith, but you have to accept that you will never slam dunk them. There will always be ways they can wiggle out of things if they are determined to, and it is something you might as well find a peace about, because it is not going away.
I have to watch myself just the same, endeavor to step back at certain times.

I've not seen you step back very often, LoL. But we all have our thing. If I can ever step back whenever people start truly bringing out my dark side, it will be a glorious and wonderful day.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There will always be ways they can wiggle out of things if they are determined to, and it is something you might as well find a peace about, because it is not going away.
Whether someone can wriggle out to their own satisfaction, I'd agree with you. But whether or not the Bible says a certain thing or not, I think it does, but sometimes people don't want to know, and won't see something through to it's conclusion.

Personally, I'm of the mind that The Only Safe Way to have assurance of my views is to see them plainly expressed in the Bible. I've spent the hours with the Jehovah's Witnesses, some of them are very nice, and very accommodating. And I've shown then truths plainly seen in their own interlinear, and translation, and it doesn't change their mind.

which time I will have more time on my hands to take things more slowly, and be more deliberate and methodical about in my responses.

I have that kind of time at the moment, and I really enjoy, and, I think, benefit from, the opportunities to consider things from different directions, and to try to make sure I'm giving some sort of benefit. I pray as I post, and I trust in the Spirit to lead me, and any failure in that is mine, obviously!

Much love!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally, I'm of the mind that The Only Safe Way to have assurance of my views is to see them plainly expressed in the Bible. I've spent the hours with the Jehovah's Witnesses, some of them are very nice, and very accommodating. And I've shown then truths plainly seen in their own interlinear, and translation, and it doesn't change their mind.

That's what I mean. You can't really slam dunk things for people such that they (and I mean anyone here, not just the JWs) can't still cling to a falsehood if they so desire to. But I can't relate to it AT ALL. I want the truth, even if it means I have to get embarrassed during debate over it. I have occasionally back off statements I made in mid-debate (I think I've done it 3 times in 4 years), after realizing what I said was flat incorrect. But I seriously don't relate to people holding on to a belief for dear life just because "it's what we believe," or because they need to save face, or just resent the other individual too much to admit to being wrong. Even when I have completely silenced people in the past, their posts several months later prove they ignored me, and are continuing to believe what they wanted to despite having no answers for proofs I provided from the scriptures to the contrary.

I truly don't get that. Strikes me as utterly disingenuine.