Millions of years ago ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
aspen2 said:
Do you also take Song of Solomon literally? It is not meant to be taken literally - neither are Jesus's parables, but they are still important. And I think of God as more of a sanctuary than a lair.

I'll ask you for the third and last time aspen
Whats the message in the creation story?

Rex said:
So whats the message in the creation story aspen?
Rex said:
So whats the message in the creation myth aspen?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess you didn't bother reading my post where I answered your question, so here it is again

aspen2 said:
The point of the creation story is that God is all powerful, which is the main point of the OT. It also provides us with the origin of sin and insight into our broken relationship with God.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
I'm sorry but that was so week I didn't think that could possibly be the meaning behind your profound myth theory of Gen.
Hardly a parable and gives no credit to God in the creation of the heavens the earth or man.

But what ever floats your boat aspen, that reminds me what about the flood? is that a myth as well?
If so what does it mean?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rex said:
I'm sorry but that was so week I didn't think that could possibly be the meaning behind your profound myth theory of Gen.
Hardly a parable and gives no credit to God in the creation of the heavens the earth or man.
Indeed! According to Gen, the creation myth did take a week to reveal.

But what ever floats your boat aspen, that reminds me what about the flood? is that a myth as well?
If so what does it mean?
Of course it was a myth - a world wide flood is scientifically impossible. There are lots of different meanings in both the creation myth and the Flood myth. One meaning is that God is all powerful - another is that God loves His creation.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Can you provide a list of books or stories that are not myth with-in the bible?
Don't you think that would simplify expressing your belief in the bible? something you can just post about what you believe? A list of BS and non BS books and stories in the bible: By Aspen. Catchy title don't you think?

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
veteran said:
You have no proof of that. That's just a supposition by the young earth theorists you've chosen to heed.
Veteran ... you also have no proof of your old earth myth. That is just a supposition by the old earth theorists you've chosen to heed

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rex said:
Can you provide a list of books or stories that are not myth with-in the bible?
Don't you think that would simplify expressing your belief in the bible? something you can just post about what you believe? A list of BS and non BS books and stories in the bible: By Aspen. Catchy title don't you think?
Pretty cynical. It is your loss if you want to discount parts God's Word as BS just because it is a story. I will not provide a list - I do not want to contribute to your cynicism or possibly give you a reason to reject parts of the Bible.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
aspen2 said:
does it matter to anyone that a literal interpretation of the creation story is not scientifically possible? only the most fringe scientists adhere to a literal interpretation.
So what are the options .? .... the literal interpretation of evolution is not scientifically possible either .

So do we just make up anything we want ?

For me , I will stick with the Genesis record .... and I feel very secure doing so.

Times like this I am reminded that Romans 1:20-32 has some sobering warnings for people who do not recognize God as Creator

If we believe God is The Creator ...... we also must believe he did it the way he said he did.

Best wishes

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Arnie Manitoba said:
So what are the options .? .... the literal interpretation of evolution is not scientifically possible either .

So do we just make up anything we want ?

For me , I will stick with the Genesis record .... and I feel very secure doing so.

Times like this I am reminded that Romans 1:20-32 has some sobering warnings for people who do not recognize God as Creator

If we believe God is The Creator ...... we also must believe he did it the way he said he did.

Best wishes
I tend to believe that we simply don't know the answer - none of us were there. I do not think it is necessary for us to know. Evolution only provides and explanation for the diversity of life. I do not think it is in conflict with Christianity.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
aspen2 said:
I tend to believe that we simply don't know the answer -
agreed ..... but I think it is more like we cannot even comprehend how some invisible God could create anything ..... even the smallest cell is more complicated than we can fathom.

Yet it is ironic that we idiot earthlings keep trying to tell each other how everything was made.

The Genesis record is simply a quick overview of creation .... and I believe it is accurate .

Jesus claims to be the creator ..... and it says if everything he did was recorded .... the whole world could not contain all the books it would require.

Probably that is why he just gives us the short genesis version.

I often wonder how much will be revealed to us in the life afterward .... and will we be able to understand it even then ????????

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
aspen2 said:
I tend to believe that we simply don't know the answer
No you don't aspen you clearly called the book of Gen a myth. Because you don't understand you lable it a myth. That some kind of faith your exercising.

You clearly call creation a myth

Rex said:
I think by now most know that your opinion of Gen is that it's nothing but a made up story that serves a lesion of instruction.

So whats the message in the creation story aspen?

And the story is scientifically possible If you understood how the expansion of the universe effects time according to your location.
I wont bore you with the evidence, I have posted it a couple of times already.
aspen2 said:
Close - I refer to it as a myth. I've never been dismissive of the myth, however - never added the words 'nothing but a story'. I believe the myth is authoritative, just like all the myths in the Bible. Everything in the Bible is inspired by God, but written from a human perspective.

The point of the creation story is that God is all powerful, which is the main point of the OT. It also provides us with the origin of sin and insight into our broken relationship with God.

I also suspect that the creation myth is based on a revelation from God to Moses during contemplative prayer.

In any case, the message is important. No need to make it into a millstone for the necks of educated scientific minded people by turning it into a requirement for Christianity or salvation.
The wisdom of men at work in the world
I also suspect that the creation myth is based on a revelation from God to Moses during contemplative prayer.

In any case, the message is important. No need to make it into a millstone for the necks of educated scientific minded people by turning it into a requirement for Christianity or salvation.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Arnie

Yeah, I agree. However, I think good science is based on observation and classification. I think good science has provided us with spectacular advancements. It bothers me when people pit Christianity against science because it deters so many intelligent people from accepting the good news. Contrary to popular belief, the good news of God is not a literal reading of the Bible, instead it is the justification of Christ and the sanctification of the Holy Spirit. I think it hard for me to watch educated people cringe when they are told that they have to accept the beliefs of 4,000 year old nomad peoples - they were obsessed with the omnipotence of God - great! He is omnipotent, but people today are more concerned with the meaning of life, which seems to be overlooked by church systems that are still emphasizing omnipotence over sanctification - which is the meaning of life - learning to love perfectly.

Hope that makes sense.
Rex said:
No you don't aspen you clearly called the book of Gen a myth. Because you don't understand you lable it a myth. That some kind of faith your exercising.

You clearly call creation a myth

The wisdom of men at work in the world

Obviously you do not know what the word myth is.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
aspen2 said:
Arnie

Yeah, I agree. However, I think good science is based on observation and classification. I think good science has provided us with spectacular advancements. It bothers me when people pit Christianity against science because it deters so many intelligent people from accepting the good news. Contrary to popular belief, the good news of God is not a literal reading of the Bible, instead it is the justification of Christ and the sanctification of the Holy Spirit. I think it hard for me to watch educated people cringe when they are told that they have to accept the beliefs of 4,000 year old nomad peoples - they were obsessed with the omnipotence of God - great! He is omnipotent, but people today are more concerned with the meaning of life, which seems to be overlooked by church systems that are still emphasizing omnipotence over sanctification - which is the meaning of life - learning to love perfectly.

Hope that makes sense.

Obviously you do not know what the word myth is.

That's much better aspen it's always best to admit the truth about the decisions you have made concerning your faith.

I see you have made your choice, science and your being honest about it.

Instead of attempting to deny what you said on the previous page. That I can deal with, honesty, even when I disagree.
How does it feel to openly express yourself? Feel a bit of a burden lifted?

I have to keep up with your edits LOL

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
That's enough guys, we are simply not interested!

Agree to disagree on a subject and walk away...if you cannot do that I will have to use our points system which can lead to suspension and/or a disabled account. The choice is yours...

Shalom

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Aspen

I hold science in high regard .... the un-proven theories .... not so much.

But set that aside for a minute and consider this ..... one of the most brilliant and beneficial things to come from the scientific community recently is the "discovery" of DNA .... big check mark for the scientists.

But where we humans get sidetracked is when we think we are something special because we discovered it

Truth is ... DNA and all its complexities existed all along (Creator) .... and we mere humans have barely progressed to the point of understanding it a tiny bit.

In the big picture ..... I think God is the clever one .... not the scientists so much .... I have a stubborn bias in that regard .... it clouds my thinking all the time :)

Reactions: UppsalaDragby

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah people are certainly arrogant. I guess I can tolerant it more in academia because scientists and professors have had to earn their authority. It is harder for me to accept arrogance within Christianity because it is so contrary to how we are supposed to be living AND it is often the loudest, and rigid minded person that gets the most authority. There really is no measurable qualifications for authority within Christian culture. Christianity is an open community - academia is exclusive. All arrogance is wrong and believe me, I have had enough of it in both arenas, but I guess it seems more expected within academia.

However, I understand your point of view, Arnie

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
aspen2 said:
I tend to believe that we simply don't know the answer - none of us were there. I do not think it is necessary for us to know. Evolution only provides and explanation for the diversity of life. I do not think it is in conflict with Christianity.
I think that the primary agenda of evolution is the denial of God as the creator of the universe and seeking an alternate explanation. I think that trying to find compromise between Christianity and evolution requires turning a blind eye to many glaring and irreconcilable differences, particularly on the underlying philosophical premises. While Genesis was not a book to be taken as a literal and chronological por quoi, it certainly is very accurate in telling us how we came to be. And the Catechism of the Catholic Church goes over this in greater detail and strongly corroborates the account in Genesis that God created the heavens, the earth, the plants and animals according to their kind, and then as a crowning achievement, man in his image.

Moreover, the embarrassing and fatal flaws in the theory of evolution would have made the intellectually honest Charles Darwin abandon his own theory and conclude it doesn't coincide with the evidence. Most particular among these are the Cambrian explosion and the glaring lack of transitional species which should number in the millions to buttress the model of changes happening slowly over a period of millions of years. The fossil record confounds the claims of evolution and what is left is a religious adherence to a moribund school of thought that is no longer about science, but rather a stubborn cleaving to atheism.

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
Arnie Manitoba said:
The issue is "time"

Some say he created everything in 6 days
Some say he did it 6000 years ago
Some say He did it 6 billion years ago

I repeat , the issue is "time"

Albert Einstein and the boys will tell you that "time" is something within our known universe , probably not beyond
Our Creator functions in a realm where there is no "time" (eternity)

Some will use science to say the universe is very very old because it would take thousands of light years for starlight to reach earth , thus the universe must be 6 billion years old or more.

Some will say that if the Creator made the planets and stars in an instant , and stretched them out in an instant , the starlight would have been there from the beginning , and the whole universe could have been made in an instant.

An instant is much shorter than 6 billion years.

So much for mankind trying to figure out anything by using "time" as an equation

When in fact "time" is simply something mankind uses , God does does not have to , God is not restrained by "time" as we know it.

And if God is not restrained by "time" as we know it , we make an error trying to force God to abide by "time" as we know it

Got that ??

You can even set all religious arguments aside , and higher physics will tell you that "time" is the variable , and mankind does not have a reference point to begin with ...... other than possibly saying that at one "time" , "time began" ...... before that , there was "no time" whatsoever .......

Got that ??
then the entire story about the creation of the earth in genesis is man made and therefore unrelative.............correct?

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
this is what was posted

So much for mankind trying to figure out anything by using "time" as an equation

When in fact "time" is simply something mankind uses , God does does not have to , God is not restrained by "time" as we know it.

so I say

then the entire story about the creation of the earth in genesis is man made and therefore unrelative.............correct?

moses uses "time"