Misunderstandings about hearing the Lord

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord asks me to preach the Word, and that to mean that we (all people really) need to seek Him and that to hear what He personally has to say to us! That means that we, each of us, should personally know Jesus Christ because we talk back and forth with Him. We each you be able to hear His instructions to us, personally, and that in words which we find in our mouth and hearts. That is the Word of God we are preaching (see Romans 10)

Of course so many people I talk to (and I mean Christians who are supposed to hear His voice) don't listen to Him like they should. I guess I don't listen to Him like I should either, because I usually only hear from Him a dozen different times during the day. That is not that good, considering He is with me all day long and that He is God, so I don't listen to Him like I should either. But this morning He ask me to write on this problem, because even I find that most Christians don't hear from Him even that much. Because of that there is a lot of misunderstanding about what He says, when I do try and talk to other Christians about hearing from Him.

The most common misunderstanding comes from a fear of the devil as opposed to a fear of God. It is not uncommon, but is perhaps the most common thing that happens when I try to explain to people (Christians) that I hear from our Lord Jesus Christ, is that they right off think I must be hearing from the devil. We see this very thing in the Bible with Jesus.

Jn 8:52 The Jews said to Him, “Now we know that You have a demon. Abraham died, and the prophets also; and You say, ‘If anyone keeps My word, he will never taste of death.'

If they (God people, the Jews) told Jesus that he had a demon when He was telling them to hear from Him and keep His word, then it is going to happen to you, when you talk about hearing Him and doing what He says. It is not what I say, because I am just telling them to seek our Lord Jesus Christ, but it is the fact that they themselves don't believe that anyone can seek Him and find Him. Instead they believe that if you seek to hear from Jesus Christ you will instead hear from the devil / a demon. That is because they fear the devil as opposed to God. They don't realize it, but if they really feared God they would be afraid not to seek His Son Jesus Christ and listen to Him! It is a failure to do that, by faith, which results in people going to hell. You are either going to be influenced by our Lord Jesus Christ, who is the Word of God, or you are going to be influenced by demons, whether you know it or not!!

So Jesus explained to them:

Jn 8: 49 Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon; but I honor My Father, and you dishonor Me.

Indeed, if you don't hear from Him "Today" then you are dishonoring Him who is always with you!!!

Now because of that first misunderstanding I also find that when I tell people about hearing from Him they think that what I hear is not going to match up with the Bible. This is kind of humorous to me, because of course what He says does not conflict with the Bible, and He will prove it to you if you reason (talk back and forth) with Him. Indeed, it is not that He matches up with the Bible but that the Bible of course matches up with Him!! People get that backwards and that because they don't listen to Him.

So I find people telling me that He (Jesus Christ) has to match up with the Bible, and that tells me right off that they don't listen to Him - because they got that simple statement backwards!! Of course, they don't realize that either, because they have a misunderstanding about what it is like to actually be hearing from Him.

The Bible tells you that your thoughts are not His thoughts and your ways are not His ways, so we are in a poor position to understand the Bible with our Him as our Teacher (meaning we have to be hearing from Him to be taught of God) This is explained in the Bible, but if you don't listen to Him, then you are the one not matching up with the Bible!!

Prov 3: 5-7 Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and turn away from evil.

Indeed, the person saying that He has to match up with the Bible has already violated the above proverb, because they mean that He (The Word of God who is God) must match up with their understanding, so they don't acknowledge Him in all their ways!

And this brings me to the next thing, and the thing that really bugs me, so that I talk to Him about it - which is probably why He asked me to write:

It goes with and comes from the first two misunderstandings, and that is when I tell people to seek Jesus Christ and listen to Him, they wind up thinking that what I am going to say next is going to be evil. Now I often give them a testimony about things He has told me, but that never stops them from thinking that the next thing I am going to say will be evil. Indeed, they often try to figure out how what I already said might be evil. Of course the do, because like already mentioned, they think I have a demon just because I tell them to seek Jesus Christ and listen to Him, and they are not fearing God but are fearing the devil. They are like the servant of the prophet who could only see the enemy surrounding the city but could not see the Chariots of fire (army of God) that surround all things.

For example, not long ago I was posting on the forum and telling people to listen to the Lord when another poster thought he could tell me about my political views. He thought for sure that I was a far-left democrat. Well, the Lord is not either Republican nor Democrat, but there is a reason that more Christians tend to be Republican today. Not all, certainly there are even Democrats that are Christian, because God is neither. However, I can tell you that God is not for abortion, which is what I explain to that poster. Neither is He prejudice in anyway, because He made all things. I am not saying Republican are or that Democrats are not, but only that He is not. He is neither black nor white, Republican nor Democrat. That of course is Him and not me. I will tell you that from my listening to Him I tend to be more Republican, but I can also see many faults there also.

For example - the Lord is not for abortion, but don't forget that Moses was a murderer and God used Him, so be careful how you judge. Also the Lord is about forgiveness, so have we talked to Him about student debt? There is something written about not being in debt, are we (as Christians) doing that to our children? So a misunderstanding would be to follow a party as opposed to the Lord, right?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can you hear the word of God, if one isn’t Born Again?

A Born Again...listens to the Father through the Holy Spirit.

It’s a Living relationship.....we learn through the Holy Spirit to listen to God, which takes time.

How can anyone hear God Without the Holy Spirit indwelling their heart/ Living in their heart. ...
I know what you mean, but I think those who are not YET born again can hear God's voice too.

I have heard testimony of this from others, and it was my experience as well.
When God spoke to me at age 8 years, he was inviting me into a relationship with him.
You may have read my testimony.

The Spirit draws us to God in the first place. Typically this means speaking to us in some way.

/

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I completely agree.
But this topic is about HEARING not SPEAKING.
Speaking is another topic. (you should start one)

'
Ah, OK....yes indeed....

I will just observe then..LOL

Tell me how you heard from God again....and what did his word of truth mean to you at age 8?

• Sad
Reactions: St. SteVen

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I deleted my posts, as I never read the topic heading properly.

Looking forward to reading,misunderstandings about hearing the Lord.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know what you mean, but I think those who are not YET born again can hear God's voice too.
Yes, I look forward to reading their testimonies on how they heard God’s voice.

Which obviously must line up with scripture...yes?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, OK....yes indeed....

I will just observe then..LOL
No.
We need your input about HEARING from God. (pretty please...)

Tell me how you heard from God again....and what did his word of truth mean to you at age 8?
Sure.

At eight years of age I was attending a Summer Bible camp in Wisconsin.
In a morning chapel service the man speaking did as they always did, he gave an invitation to receive Christ.
He asked that all heads be bowed and all eyes closed.
But I found myself peeking to see if any of these "lost sinners" would raise a hand.
At that moment God spoke to me. Though it was a supernatural event, it seemed as natural to me as anything.
I knew who it was and wasn't frightened, or disturbed by it. What I heard was mind-blowing.
It came like a tap on my shoulder. The message clear and direct.
"If you think it is so important, why haven't you done it?" I was speechless. I answered with my feet.
I knew the drill. I rose to my feet and pushed my way to the aisle to go forward before we were even asked to do so.
When I was a young adult I made a connection about this event that had not been apparent to me at the time.
The man who led me to Christ was the son of the man that led my father to the Lord.
A Christian Alliance missionary that went from farm to farm inviting people to Sunday School and
sharing the gospel in the area where my father grew up. Basically in the middle of nowhere.
Such a wonderful mystery, the workings of our great God.

/

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No.

Sure.

In a morning chapel service the man speaking did as they always did, he gave an invitation to receive Christ.
But I found myself peeking to see if any of these "lost sinners" would raise a hand.
At that moment God spoke to me. Though it was a supernatural event, it seemed as natural to me as anything.
I knew who it was and wasn't frightened, or disturbed by it. What I heard was mind-blowing.
"If you think it is so important, why haven't you done it?" I was speechless. I answered with my feet.
I knew the drill. I rose to my feet and pushed my way to the aisle to go forward before we were even asked to do so.
When I was a young adult I made a connection about this event that had not been apparent to me at the time.
The man who led me to Christ was the son of the man that led my father to the Lord.
A Christian Alliance missionary that went from farm to farm inviting people to Sunday School and
sharing the gospel in the area where my father grew up. Basically in the middle of nowhere.

/
Did you receive him into your heart?

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No.

Sure.

/
Nice testimony :) Praise the Lord!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is on mine....it’s at the bottom...where it reads.

Report....Edit.....Delete.

Look to the bottom of your post.
I see it now. I think that is a time-sensitive button. After a certain period, the Delete button is no longer available.

Reactions: Nancy

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I see it now. I think that is a time-sensitive button. After a certain period, the Delete button is no longer available.
Is it....it’s always been available to me....no matter what time of day.

I wrote a post at 6am...it’s still available to delete it...I just checked.

That’s what I like about this forum....some other forum you don’t have hardly any time to delete a post.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Any person who is truly spiritually re-born should be listening for God to speak to them. And he speaks to us in many varied ways; directly into our spirits in a whisper, through the written word, in a song, by another Christian, and also from nature and in dreams and I dare say by other means also.

Last edited: