Misunderstandings about hearing the Lord

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Over the years God my Father has 'spoken' to me in many various ways including scripture.

Reactions: amadeus

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is a guy in here says that God tells him what to do.

No he doesn’t, it’s not biblical.....we are led by the Holy Spirit...only he can lead us into God’s truth.

If God wills us to do something then imo it will be done...by the Holy Spirit who does the leading and without the Spirit, one is just leading themselves...imo...

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is a guy in here says that God tells him what to do.

No he doesn’t, it’s not biblical.....we are led by the Holy Spirit...only he can lead us into God’s truth.
But the Holy Spirit is God just as Jesus is.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
But the Holy Spirit is God just as Jesus is.
Who said he wasn’t, I said God/ Holy Spirit doesn’t tell us what to do....he leads us via his Spirit.

Telling is certainly different to leading.

God has shown me his will in an area of my life, his Holy Spirit led me into understanding what God revealed to my heart...again this is an opinion from me.....

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Don't really understand the difference.
Between someone telling you what to do.....

You believe God tells you what to do without his Spirit?

God says we are led by the Spirit, his word doesn’t say he tells us what to do, does it @Pearl ?
If it does then I stand corrected.
We can’t add our own words to the word of God..many do and I’ve done it myself...it’s wrong...I think I’ve even said God told me what to do...at one time, then the Holy Spirit led me to his word, showing me it’s not there...

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The first thing to notice is that there are only two places in the NT which speak of being led by the Holy Spirit: 1- Romans 8:14 "For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God."2- Galatians 5:18 "But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

Below walking by the Spirit.
Romans 8
Berean Standard BiblePar ▾
Walking by the Spirit
(Ezekiel 36:16–38; Galatians 5:16–26)
1Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.a2For in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set youb free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful man, as an offering for sin.c He thus condemned sin in the flesh, 4so that the righteous standard of the law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5Those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh; but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. 6The mind of the flesh is death, but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace,7because the mind of the flesh is hostile to God: It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8Those controlled by the fleshd cannot please God.
9You, however, are controlled not by the flesh, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. 10But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alivee because of righteousness. 11And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the deadf will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit, who lives in you.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You believe God tells you what to do without his Spirit?
Absolutely not. God's Spirit guides me so therefore God guides me. They are inseparable. I have never ever thought to separate them. So if I say God speaks to me it means He speaks to me through His Holy Spirit.

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Absolutely not. God's Spirit guides me so therefore God guides me. They are inseparable. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. I have never ever thought to separate them. So if I say God speaks to me it means He speaks to me through His Holy Spirit.
Well, that’s you, ..I pray to the Father via his Holy Spirit.who resides in my heart/ spirit....plus we can’t talk about the trinity on here...

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well, that’s you, ..I pray to the Father via his Holy Spirit.who resides in my heart/ spirit....plus we can’t talk about the trinity on here...
I will delete that bit then.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I will delete that bit then.
Pearl, you don’t have to delete anything...we haven’t started discussing all 3 , so we’re ok, @Pearl we’re all learning from the Lord..look at this.

John 14:26
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

New Living Translation
But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.

English Standard Version
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

Berean Standard Bible
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
eating-popcorn-icegif-2.gif

• Haha
Reactions: St. SteVen

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not quite understanding this.

The Bible is Gods Living word, his word breathed out in writing, we can’t contain God, he is a Living Spirit...

What do you mean assessment of you...I asked if you were Born Again that was all?...NO...I didn’t mean you were carnal in mind @St. SteVen ....I meant those without the Spirit would be...

You don’t need to read a Bible to be Born Of The Spirit...once you are Born Again...we need to read his word by being led to understand God’s word by the Holy Spirit, who has manifested himself into our spirit when Spirit gives birth to spirit?....without the Holy Spirit leading and directing us through scripture, bringing Gods word Alive in our hearts, bringing us to understanding his word in the Spirit.....we would/ could never grow or mature in the word...without the Holy Spirit.

Yes, being indoctrinated is harmful...I have only been taught by the Holy Spirit to understand God’s word...imo..many disagree and accuse me of being indoctrinated by John Calvin...why I have no idea.

Who told you that the Bible was alive??

Did you hear the Bible talking to you?
Did it open it's mouth - and where is the mouth and vocal cords on the Bible?
Is the Bible a spiritual being, so as to look movie around like a spirit?
My Bibles and I have a lot of them, because My Lord once had me open a Christian book store for Him and run it for a couple of years, and I never ever saw any of the Bibles floating around, walking around, or speaking to Me.

However I do hear the Holy Spirit speaking to my spirit everyday, and the Spirit does not speak on His own initiative but rather He takes the words He speaks to my spirit from Jesus Christ whose name is called the Word of God - or did you not read you Bible which you think is alive? I don't know about that - but I do know that Jesus Christ is alive and active!! He rose from the dead and reigns over the Kingdom of God which is in our midst, and so the Word of God I preach is found near me - even in our mouths and in your hearts! And not siting on some shelf of mine or yours.

Did you not read about that either???

I once heard the Spirit tell me, "Karl, we don't use the Lord to preach the Scriptures; we use the Scriptures to preach the Lord!"

But you have that backwards, don't you? So let me help you by using the Scriptures to actually preach the Lord, and Him as the living and active word of God - since you missed the other post I made on this thread about this. Maybe you will understanding this time?

Rev 19:13 He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.
And the armies which are in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, were following Him on white horses.

So Him who went to the cross so that His robe was dipped in blood has a name which is "The Word of God" - and you will note that the armies which are in heaven were following Him not the Bible!!! And that is what is written in the Bible you think is alive?? You don't make sense do you?

Heb 4:12,13 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.

Do you see above that the word of God which is living is "Him" with who we have to do and thus deal with? Don't you read that no creature is hidden from "His"? I have not yet seen a Bible with eyes, but I know the Lord our God sees, because He shows us things in dreams and vision, and talks to us about them! And you can read about this with Abram!

Gen 15 : 1 After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying,
“Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you. Your reward shall be very great.”

So "the word of the Lord" and remember I just pointed out to you that His name (the One we call Jesus Christ who went to the cross) is called "The Word of God/Lord". So the above verse could have been written "After these things Jesus Christ came to Abram in a vision, saying. Do nor fear, Abram, I am a shield to you. Your reward shall be very great"

Now certainly Abram was not reading Scriptures then, because Moses was the man you started writing the Scriptures and the account above! And since Moses wasn't alive at that time, either Moses heard the account directly from the Lord or he heard it from the other Israelites, which they had passed down verbally from one to another until Moses wrote it down. In either case the word of the Lord/God did not mean something written at that time. Which again proves you wrong.

Now here is the good news for you, if you care to believe it - Jesus Christ the Word of God, again by speaking to John who wrote it down for you to read:

Rev 3:19,20 ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent. ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

Isn't that great news!! ANYONE - WHICH INCLUDES "ANYONE" can listen to His reproof to them then be zealous for Him, who is standing there actually knocking at our door with His voice, if they just hear His voice (note that is not reading His book) and open up to Him. He will then come in to that person and eat with them and them with Him!!

And let me encourage you more by testifying to some of the things I hear and have heard from Him! The most common thing I personally hear from Him is, "Karl, I love you." He tells me that quite often and the first time I heard Him tell me that my eyes flooded with tears, because who could He love me a sinner. But He created you and I, so He can love us and forget us. So why don't we listen to Him?

And below I will put a few others things He told me - but note I talk back and forth with Him on those days called Today! So below is just a few of my favorite things He told me:

YOU DIDN’T MAKE ME AN AWESOME GOD, BUT YOU CAN MAKE ME AN AWESOME GOD.

WHEN WE TALK TO GOD, GOD TALKS TO US……. WHEN WE LISTEN TO GOD, GOD LISTENS TO US!

THE BEST LISTENERS MAKE THE BEST TEACHERS.

SHOULDN’T YOU HEAR FROM A MAN YOU’RE JUDGING WORTHY OF DEATH AND EXAMINE WHETHER THERE IS TRUTH IN WHAT HE SAYS. SO IT IS THAT I HAVE MADE HEARING FROM ME THE VERY THINGS THAT GIVES YOU ETERNAL LIFE.

IT'S NOT EASY LISTENING TO A ROCK. YOU HAVE TO LISTEN VERY CLOSE!

TWO MEN WERE WALKING DOWN THE ROAD, ONE TRIPED OVER SOMETHING HE DIDN’T SEE, THE OTHER DIDN’T BECAUSE HE WAS PAYING ATTENTION.

WE DON’T HAVE UNDERSTANDING BECAUSE WE DON’T READ THE BIBLE WITH UNDERSTANDING, BUT OUR UNDERSTANDING…. UNDERSTAND???

I MADE THE MOUNTAIN AND THE MOUNTAIN IS GOOD, BUT WOE TO THOSE WHO WORSHIP THE MOUNTAIN. WOE TO THOSE WHO WORSHIP THE CREATED AND NOT THE CREATOR.
I AM THE WORD OF GOD! THAT IS WHAT THEY CALL ME. FOR WHAT PROPHET EVER SAID ‘THE WORD OF THE LORD CAME TO ME SAYING’ AND DIDN’T MEAN THAT I CAME CLOSE? SHOULD I SHARE MY NAME WITH MY CREATION?

Of course He has talked to me and told me a lot more that just the above, and of course I chose those sayings from Him to me to make a point - and that point is that we all need to make it about listening to HIm!! Knowing the Bible does not save you - to think that is a horrible misunderstanding!!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need to hear from Him. He may well speak to us through what we are reading in the Bible, but truly without the Spirit, is what we read really Alive?

No, He does not speak to us through what we are reading!! But He might and probably will at times speak you about what you read in the Bible!!

Why do some people not understand the difference? Is it because it is also written:

Mat 3:15 FOR THE HEART OF THIS PEOPLE HAS BECOME DULL,
WITH THEIR EARS THEY SCARCELY HEAR,
AND THEY HAVE CLOSED THEIR EYES,
OTHERWISE THEY WOULD SEE WITH THEIR EYES,
HEAR WITH THEIR EARS,
AND UNDERSTAND WITH THEIR HEART AND RETURN,
AND I WOULD HEAL THEM.'

Are there still those who with their ears they scarcely hear and who have closed their eyes, so that otherwise they would see with their eyes and hear with their ears, understand with their heart and actually return to Him?

The people at the mountain said, 'Let not God speak to us, least they should die'.

And that is what happens. We know inside that if we were to actually seek the voice of the Lord and listen to Him then we would need to do what He says because HE is God! Thus we would have to die to our own ways and our following our own understanding! And people just don't want anyone, including God, telling them what they need to do. So they pretend obedience, and pretend they are willing to listen to Him, but they don't practice that!! So in their pretending they open up a Bible, the Holy Spirit tries to get their attention, but they don't really want to listen, so they don't pay attention, they don't practice actually seeking Him and using their spiritual senses, and this is all covered in the Bible!!

Is 1: 2,3 Listen, O heavens, and hear, O earth;
For the LORD speaks,
“Sons I have reared and brought up,
But they have revolted against Me.
“An ox knows its owner,
And a donkey its master’s manger,
But Israel does not know,
My people do not understand.”

Is 1:18 “Come now, and let us reason together,”
Says the LORD,
“Though your sins are as scarlet,
They will be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson,
They will be like wool.

Now how can you reason back and forth with anyone if all you have is a book they had written? Can you then say what about this verse Lord, and hear a voice - no you can only read on and think you can figure it out by your own understanding!!

But it is written:

Prov 3: 5-8 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the LORD and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your body
And refreshment to your bones.

I have trouble understanding how "Christians" can say they know the Lord and still think their reading verses is the same as actually hearing and reasoning with Him.

I like to talk to Him about my business. He has great advice. I like to talk to Him about my son's soccer team that he coaches, because I like to root for me son and so I like to know what the Lord has to say about it - and that is not in the Bible. I also like to talk to Him while shopping, both at the grocery store and especially when I have to get a gift for someone. Perhaps I can find a good gift, but He really knows what the best gifts are! Yeah - I talk to Him about the Bible too, but honestly my life is a whole lot more than just reading a Bible - and I suspect everyone's life is a whole lot more than just reading their Bible. So why don't we listen to Him more everyday???

Reactions: amadeus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Pearl, you don’t have to delete anything...we haven’t started discussing all 3 , so we’re ok, @Pearl we’re all learning from the Lord..look at this.

John 14:26
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

New Living Translation
But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.

English Standard Version
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

Berean Standard Bible
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you.
I've always loved those verses. The Holy Spirit is also called the Paraclete. A paraclete was an aid to a long distance runner, somebody who would run alongside and encourage.

One dark cold and wet October evening as I was coming home from work on a crowded bus I was feeling a bit deflated because of the dismal weather but I cheered myself up by remembering that Jesus was with me.

I began to try and visualise where he would be, was he seated next to me or standing in the aisle? But it was neither of those so I asked him where he was. Suddenly I started to tingle and the tingling spread all through my body and I just knew he was telling me that he was within me. By the power of his Holy Spirit he was within me. I couldn't stop smiling after that. The Holy Spirit has been part of my life for a very long time.

Reactions: Azim

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, He does not speak to us through what we are reading!!

Yet, he does and has for me. Just because He doesn't for you, doesn't mean He won't for others.

Why do some people not understand the difference?

Why don't you understand that the way you have a relationship with the Lord isn't the same way others' relationships are with the Lord?

You go from Christian board to Christian board saying the same thing over and over again. You are told over and over again that not everyone's relationship with God is the same. You don't ever listen to what people are telling you.

Reactions: Pearl