Mom broke her hip

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The physical therapist came yesterday and did exercises with mom resting in between movements. He hopes to eventually get her standing up. He did hold her up briefly.

He changed her diaper/pad again and said I can fully move her onto her sides to change it. That was good to find out....makes the changing somewhat easier.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The physical therapist came yesterday and did exercises with mom resting in between movements. He hopes to eventually get her standing up. He did hold her up briefly.

He changed her diaper/pad again and said I can fully move her onto her sides to change it. That was good to find out....makes the changing somewhat easier.
Some good news there @Debp

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

That must be a relief , to now be able to move her onto her side,sounds like she’s coming along nicely, Praise God!xx

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Got exhausted just now after a diaper change, catching my breath now. Mom's eating dinner now.

She keeps sliding downward off of the end of the bed. I guess each time I prop her up for eating, she slides down more! The OT helped me raise her back up this afternoon but by early evening she is sliding again.

Need to check on mom now. Appreciate prayers for strength for me, thanks.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Debp, I would mention that your mum keeps sliding down the bed, to a member of staff, ...hopefully they may have a suggestion, Bless her heart, how can she eat her meal , when she’s slipped down the bed....plus you having to hoist her up, hows your back?

Can you see progress?

Praise God you are there for her,xx

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Debp, I would mention that your mum keeps sliding down the bed, to a member of staff, ...hopefully they may have a suggestion, Bless her heart, how can she eat her meal , when she’s slipped down the bed....plus you having to hoist her up, hows your back?

Can you see progress?

Praise God you are there for her,xx
Thanks for asking.

Feeling better now. Mom's sleeping. Did do her sugar reading awhile ago, it was low so fed her an ice cream and washed her dentures. Then she went back to sleep.

The PT and OT know she slides down in the bed. The PT said if she could push her feet on the bed to push herself upwards, that's about all.

So last night I asked if she could use her good leg and foot to push with, while I tried to pull her (can't pull her much). We did manage to get her feet back onto the bed, so that's a big relief.

I have one of those reclining pillows for her, however, it takes up a lot of room at the top of the bed. So we have just been using a few regular pillows.

When she needs to eat, I try to stuff a few pillows behind her shoulders and upper back so she can eat better.

The PT was here on Monday and the OT was here yesterday Tuesday. Both of them are coming again this week, Thursday and Friday .

The OT hopes to work on mom transferring to the portable commode. Will see. The OT is a small young woman. The PT is a man and he really has to lift mom up and support her while he puts her on the portable commode.

There is some progress with her turning on her sides more fully. And progress now with pushing herself up with her good foot and leg.

Reactions: Rita and Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the update,Debp,xx

Just a thought, how about you put a pillow at the bottom of her bed, then you ,with your hands keep it in place, so she can push against it with her good leg.and maybe get further up the bed..hope that makes sense,xx

Is she left or right handed, just asking as it must affect the strength in the good leg?

I’m left handed, therefore more strength in my left leg, than my right leg.

Last edited:

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the update,Debp,xx

Just a thought, how about you put a pillow at the bottom of her bed, then you ,with your hands keep it in place, so she can push against it with her good leg.and maybe get further up the bed..hope that makes sense,xx

Is she left or right handed, just asking as it must affect the strength in the good leg?

I’m left handed, therefore more strength in my left leg, than my right leg.
She's right handed. Her hip fracture was on her left leg.

Hopefully it becomes easier for her to get upwards more.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Got exhausted just now after a diaper change, catching my breath now. Mom's eating dinner now.

She keeps sliding downward off of the end of the bed. I guess each time I prop her up for eating, she slides down more! The OT helped me raise her back up this afternoon but by early evening she is sliding again.

Need to check on mom now. Appreciate prayers for strength for me, thanks.
Maybe a pillow under her legs might stop the sliding. Just a thought.

Reactions: Rita and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Physical therapist comes later today. Hopefully he can help her to learn to push herself up on the bed using her feet. Last night she said she couldn't do it...I tried to tug under her arms and pull but it's too much for me and I don't want to injure my back.

Occupational therapist comes tomorrow.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Be very careful tugging under her arms,Debp, you could cause her damage to her shoulders.

I would seek advice from the professional when she visits....I’m sure she will be able to give you good advice.

Let us know how you get on,xx

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Be very careful tugging under her arms,Debp, you could cause her damage to her shoulders.

I would seek advice from the professional when she visits....I’m sure she will be able to give you good advice.

Let us know how you get on,xx
Ok, won't try to pull her up like that anymore. Although one time at the hospital two of them pulled her upward like that but one on each side of her.

The PT said she should push her legs and feet on the bed to push herself upwards on the bed. But last night she said she can't do it....so maybe he can teach her how when he is here later today.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There’s a right way to do it, when there are two of us, it’s been so long now since I went on training courses, for care in the home, it’s probably all changed, I was a home carer, been retired for a number of years now....

I hope he can teach her how to get herself up the bed with her good foot...xxx

Will be watching out for more news from you,xx

• Love
Reactions: Debp and Lambano

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There’s a right way to do it, when there are two of us, it’s been so long now since I went on training courses, for care in the home, it’s probably all changed, I was a home carer, been retired for a number of years now....

I hope he can teach her how to get herself up the bed with her good foot...xxx

Will be watching out for more news from you,xx
That's interesting you did home care.

Peter the PT said he is using 80% of his strength in order to lift her out of bed and onto the portable commode. It was quite a workout for him, mom and a bit for me. She had a bowel movement as soon as she hit the commode.... apparently she can't go laying down.

He kept having to hold her up as I wiped her bottom. She'd get exhausted so he'd let her sit on the commode for a little bit....then I'd wipe again and again as he held her up. Once he lifted her back into bed, I wiped more and he put on a new diaper/pad.

Apparently Mom still can't push herself up on the bed but Peter says she will once she develops more strength in her legs.

Minji the OT comes tomorrow.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, that makes sense, she needs to build up more strength in her legs, ...I remember I was the same with my wrist, it took weeks to build up strength to be able to put pressure on it and hold things,xx

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know it’s only be a couple of days since your last update Sis.

Minji the OT..what news from her? Xxx

Are you and Mum ok?

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Depp,
Just been reading your updates xxx
I agree with Ritajanice about you pulling your mum up, not only for your mums sake but also yours, we have both probably done similar training, I did use to work in peoples homes but then went into the care home but changed to housekeeping. However the training was compulsory for everyone.
This is why I get frustrated that you have to do so much by yourself - it’s not easy to do x
Much love as you continue to support your mum x

• Love
Reactions: Debp and Ritajanice

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know it’s only be a couple of days since your last update Sis.

Minji the OT..what news from her? Xxx

Are you and Mum ok?

When Minji came I explained that Peter the PT had to use 80% of his strength to lift and stand mom up. Since we aren't as strong that maybe we should wait for mom to get stronger to stand. (Minji is a slender gal.)

So she helped change mom's diaper/pad, had mom move her legs on the bed a bit, had her sit up and put legs over edge of bed (with Minji's support). Mom gets tired easily so that was about it.

Oh, she also helped me move mom upward on the bed by us using the sheets to lift mom.

Mom didn't want to eat much. So I spoon fed her the rest of the cottage cheese and a little bit of yogurt.

When I order groceries I think I'll get her those nutritional milk shakes. They gave her Glucerna in the hospital after awhile.

When she came home I asked if she wanted them and she said no. But I will order some.

Hi Depp,
Just been reading your updates xxx
I agree with Ritajanice about you pulling your mum up, not only for your mums sake but also yours, we have both probably done similar training, I did use to work in peoples homes but then went into the care home but changed to housekeeping. However the training was compulsory for everyone.
This is why I get frustrated that you have to do so much by yourself - it’s not easy to do x
Much love as you continue to support your mum x
Actually I only tried to pull mom up about twice and couldn't really budge her.... maybe only one inch.

I asked her to try to wiggle or somehow propel herself up a little bit on the bed yesterday. She got upwards maybe two inches...a struggle for her.

I keep telling her she needs to try to move her feet and legs a little now and then....to get stronger and for circulation. But I think she forgets to do that.