Most accurate modern translation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spyder and Jane.
Okay here's the thing .
I don't know of anything or anywhere in strongs or the King James where some Doctrine is protected and therefore the word of God is somehow corrupted.

You both leave out the leading of the Holy Spirit.
Another thing I'd like to comment on is that Chuck Missler did a book or a teaching on the Bible Code. The hidden messages that are in the word of God.
There isn't a single message in misslers Bible Code, not a one that is out of harmony with God's word.
And strangely enough some of those messages have to do with Doctrine..
Now using spiders and Janes methodology, I see a lot of room for error, because the Jews do exactly what both of you are talking about.
For example the Virgin birth that was predicted. I think they get that virgin birth from Isaiah ....of course I may be wrong I'm just talking off the top of my head.
but anyway, they say "no no it never said virgin, it says young woman, therefore the King James corrupted it FOR THE CHRISTIAN DOCTRINE." Well the reason they put virgin in there because that's exactly what it is ,and it does go back to Doctrine.
so I see that entire premise of "we can't have any Doctrine in the translation " ,I see that as really a bad thing

Last edited:

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never said that that fornication simply applied to two single people having sex. The KJV uses the word for all sorts of sexual misconduct even though it is not an actual biblical word.

Nelson Bible Dictionary…..
1. Sexual relationships outside the bonds of marriage.

Webster’s
fornication. noun. for·ni·ca·tion ˌfȯr-nə-ˈkā-shən. : consensual sexual intercourse between a single man and a single woman who are not married to each other.

Fornication–now more commonly referred to as premarital sex–is when two unmarried individuals engage in sexual intercourse.

Christianity.com
A concise definition of fornication is "sexual intercourse between people not married to each other," including pre-marital and adulterous relations.

Cambridge Dictionary defines fornication as "the action of having sex with someone who you are not married to."

Do you need smoke signals?
YOU got any relevant questions.?

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I absolutely use the requirement for scriptural harmony when searching for truth. I typically become suspicious when translators choose words which interrupt the harmony. That causes the deep dive into passages and then await the truth from God regarding scripture.
Can you point me to an example.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I gave you a name….George. Because you are looking for a name that means you do not have an understanding of the topic. Some of the oldest Christian writings are complete texts and some are fragments. The primary point is that newer more accurate translations do not use newer or Catholic texts.

What Are the Earliest Manuscripts of the New Testament?

Some of the larger categories are…..

Alexandrian – Taken to be the best by most scholars. The Alexandrian text is quoted by Clement in the late 1st century CE,

Egyptian texts range from the 2nd and 3rd century
Ok this is what I suspected.
Alexandrian text.
Yes indeed.
A corrupted text.
I knew you were defending that corrupt text.
Just wanted you to admit it.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is one of the things that I like most about Strongs…..it will betray its dedication to doctrine rather than accurately convey the truth in many instances. It’s at those times when I see clearly where Christendom gets support for her errors. That is also confirmation of the truth for me. Like God’s use of the nation of Israel…..we can learn more from her errors and the consequences of her disobedience, than from anything good that she did in her sad and sorry history.

What did Adam and Eve teach us right from the beginning about the value of obediences, and the dire consequences of disobedience….and how it doesn’t just affect ourselves?

I also have other resources that I trust….these are from my teachers who are very well versed in the scriptures and whose teachings have guided me these 50 odd years. Like the Beroeans, I like to confirm everything for myself and my research always agrees with what they have provided in their own research.

The one thing that must always result is scriptural harmony…..nothing can contradict itself in God’s word, and translation is open to verbal trickery.…inference and suggestion is often used to confirm doctrine which is out of harmony with the rest of the Scriptures, which is why I always go back to the original languages to see how the Hebrew Bible is read and translated in the Jewish Tanakh, as well as Greek Interlinears.

I also enjoy your thoughtful and honest posts, especially considering your background.
What interlinear do you use?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's the most accurate modern English translation of the bible? I'm currently reading KJV as I believe that to be the most accurate but I'd also like another bible that's just easier and modern English but accurate

EDIT - thank you everyone I've gone with NASB, in addition to my KJV.

No such thing, not since 19th century British scholars Wescott and Hort created their own 'corrupt' Greek New Testament in the late 1880's, and English Bible translations after... that time use it.

See...

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok this is what I suspected.
Alexandrian text.
Yes indeed.
A corrupted text.
I knew you were defending that corrupt text.
Just wanted you to admit it.

This why I do not like talking to you......you have no clue.....so you are free to say anything.....no credibility.

I have already explained this to you but it is like talking to a bowling ball.
I will stand with the scholars.
The older texts are not as refined and that is how they know that they are more true to the originals. The newer texts have been modified / corrected by the option of a few along the way as to what they should be. They look good but that does not mean they reflect what the original texts said.

In textual criticism of the New Testament, the Alexandrian text-type is one of the main text types. It is the text type favored by the majority of modern textual critics and it is the basis for most modern (after 1900) Bible translations.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with thy God Micah 6:8

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Spyder and Jane.
Okay here's the thing .
I don't know of anything or anywhere in strongs or the King James where some Doctrine is protected and therefore the word of God is somehow corrupted.
Where do we start...? For me the divine name is an important factor in God’s word that through corrupted human tradition was lost to the world. By his name, the true God identified himself as a single entity who had no equals in any realm. (Exodus 20:1; Psalm 83:18)
The Jewish Shema, (Deut 6:4, often recited) identified the “one God” of the Jews, but somehow he was transformed into a completely different “god” by the time the RCC had finished modifying him to suit their adopted beliefs. Turning him into an entity with three heads was certainly NOT gleaned from Scripture....and not a god that Jesus or his apostles were even acquainted with. (1 Cor 8:5-6)

How did the Bible translators accomplish this travesty of changing the very nature of God? The question is, how long had this ‘new god’ been in existence when English translations came to be published?
How did the words of John 1:1 come to mean something they never said? The translators omitted a very small word that changed the meaning of “theos” into “God” with a capital “G”.
Read in Greek, John 1:1 does not say what the English translations, influenced by the RCC’s portrayal of God, convey.
The nameless God of the Jews was identified with the definite article “ho” meaning “THE GOD” as there was no word in Greek that described a god with no name, so calling him simply “The God” when he and his son were mentioned together identified “the God” from “a god” or “divine” one. “Theos” in Greek according to Strongs means....

“a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities.....
So any divine person, god or goddess, can be called “theos” in Greek.
This word......
  1. refers to the things of God
  2. his counsels, interests, things due to him
  3. whatever can in any respect be likened unto God, or resemble him in any way
    1. God's representative or viceregent
      1. of magistrates and judges”

So how the church bypassed all those definitions to arrive at their three headed god is a mystery unless you understand why they did it....and who was behind this false concept.

If God’s name had still been in use, John 1:1 would have read...
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Yahweh and the Word was divine.”
See how easily a misrepresentation can become a doctrine?...and a foundational one at that!

You both leave out the leading of the Holy Spirit.
I have never done that....so if you look carefully at scripture, it is the minority who stayed faithful to God while the majority were led away from him by humans influenced by the devil.
“There is nothing new under the sun”, Solomon said.....and he was right...the majority view is never the right one. (Matt 7:13-14).....satan has the majority....but God has the stoic faithful minority who were going to face the same treatment that Jesus and his apostles endured. (John 15:18-21)
Another thing I'd like to comment on is that Chuck Missler did a book or a teaching on the Bible Code. The hidden messages that are in the word of God.
There isn't a single message in misslers Bible Code, not a one that is out of harmony with God's word.
Looking for ‘the hidden codes’ in the Bible would of course be the devil’s playground. If you want to play in that sand box, that is entirely your choice. Who really cares about what men think? I care only about what God thinks, as it is portrayed in his word. I don’t need to look for what might be the product of someone’s vivid imagination. Keeping things simple is the key. The Bible’s message is refreshingly simple.
And strangely enough some of those messages have to do with Doctrine..
Now using spiders and Janes methodology, I see a lot of room for error, because the Jews do exactly what both of you are talking about.
But you cannot see room for error in your own understanding of scripture? Why not?
For example the Virgin birth that was predicted. I think they get that virgin birth from Isaiah ....of course I may be wrong I'm just talking off the top of my head.
but anyway, they say "no no it never said virgin, it says young woman, therefore the King James corrupted it FOR THE CHRISTIAN DOCTRINE." Well the reason they put virgin in there because that's exactly what it is ,and it does go back to Doctrine.
Deduction often works if there is enough Scripture to back up what is stated. The virgin birth is one of those instances, where Mary and Joseph were clearly not married at the time Jesus was conceived and Joseph’s response to the news initially was to “divorce her secretly” so as to protect her reputation and character, which he knew was beyond reproach.....it was God who told him in a dream that Mary’s child was the product of God’s spirit, not infidelity, so he then was confident to take her as a wife.

Back in those times of arranged marriages, a betrothal was as good as a marriage in terms of commitment. There was no official ceremony but the groom would go to the home of his bride, dressed for the occasion and take her to her new home, often just a room built onto his parents house, or if he was wealthy to a new home altogether. Friends and neighbors would line the route and wish them well in their new marriage.

Wealthy ones could afford a marriage feast....Jesus and his mother were invited to one where he performed his first miracle.
so I see that entire premise of "we can't have any Doctrine in the translation " ,I see that as really a bad thing
I see that the Bible explains itself if we do not have doctrines in the way that colour our view of what the Bible says in its entirety....it is after all, one story with one author, so we need to read the whole book and take notes about these things if we do not have a good source of accurate information.
Seriously though, God has always provided teachers for his people....Jesus did too....we just have to find them....God helps the genuine ones to do that...those humble enough to cop the flack that goes with being a true disciple. (John 6:44; 65)

Last edited:

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you point me to an example.
I could spend time doing that, but Aunty Jane did a good job already in post #90.

However, for the curious, a little time spent looking at a page that addresses such things may be interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aunty Jane

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jewish Shema, (Deut 6:4, often recited) identified the “one God” of the Jews, but somehow he was transformed into a completely different “god” by the time the RCC had finished modifying him to suit their adopted beliefs. Turning him into an entity with three heads was certainly NOT gleaned from Scripture....and not a god that Jesus or his apostles were even acquainted with. (1 Cor 8:5-6)

How did the Bible translators accomplish this travesty of changing the very nature of God? The question is, how long had this ‘new god’ been in existence when English translations came to be published?
How did the words of John 1:1 come to mean something they never said? The translators omitted a very small word that changed the meaning of “theos” into “God” with a capital “G”.
Well, I won't try to defend Trinitarianism here (a banned subject). But it is silly to blame Bible translators for "changing the very nature of God." Trinitarianism became a staple of the Catholic Church -- not the Roman Catholic Church, but the Catholic Church throughout the Mediterranean world -- in the Fourth Century when everyone was still reading the Greek.

Last edited:

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
toWell, I won't try to defend Trinitarianism here (a banned subject). But it is silly to blame Bible translators for "changing the very nature of God." Trinitarianism became a staple of the Catholic Church -- not the Roman Catholic Church, but the Catholic Church throughout the Mediterranean world -- in the Fourth Century when everyone was still reading the Greek.
It's not silly to acknowledge that bible translators chose to capitalize "word" to "Word" in John 1: 1. The original word logos appears hundreds of times, but only in John is it ever capitalized. That verse is used like bullets from a machine gun whenever the trinity is defended as if that settles the issue. Capitalizing logos IS a translators error, but even more, it is the reader's error to think it means something that it doesn't.:
It was not a translator's error to change Matthew 28:19 to insert the trinity when everywhere else in scripture, that is not what took place.
No, it isn't silly. It just is.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not silly to acknowledge that bible translators chose to capitalize "word" to "Word" in John 1: 1. The original word logos appears hundreds of times, but only in John is it ever capitalized. That verse is used like bullets from a machine gun whenever the trinity is defended as if that settles the issue. Capitalizing logos IS a translators error, but even more, it is the reader's error to think it means something that it doesn't.:
It was not a translator's error to change Matthew 28:19 to insert the trinity when everywhere else in scripture, that is not what took place.
No, it isn't silly. It just is.
I agree that it isn't silly to point out what translators have done. What I said was "silly" was pinning the creation of this so-called three-headed hydra on translators. That "hydra" came into vogue when everyone was still reading John 1:1 in Greek, without the article before "theos."

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You need one you can actually understand. My first bible was kjv given to me for school and I never read it as I couldn't understand all the stilted olde English text. When I became a Christian my church was using the Good News version so i bought one of those and then a few years later I bought an NIV from the bible society and still use that version. I also have a New Living Translation.
I can understand KJV perfectly fine, and I'm happy having my KJV for reading, studying, highlighting etc but yeah I wanted a modern one for an easy read sometimes, not in place of, but just for fun, and the NASB seemed the best to go with so I went with that, but KJV will always be the main one.

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I never saw an accurate modern English translation. Most if not all seem to be written by the churches of today and they write them based on what their group now believes. The oldest Bibles are always the best. My problem is they are so hard to read. I'm referring to the ones before the KJV.
Indeed! I think the Geneva translation came before KJV? Going based off memory, now that's an interesting translation I'd like to read after KJV

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The are several that are more accurate and it depend what you are looking for.
NASB,ESV,NIV in the Study Bibles. I like some of the Sacred Names Bibles where they put the names of God the Father and God the Son back in the scriptures. Although I am not personally familiar with it I have colleagues that like the NRSV.
Really? A quick google search showed ESV leaves parts of out and its missing, which I was surprised about

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? A quick google search showed ESV leaves parts of out and its missing, which I was surprised about
The NASB leaves out the same things as the ESV since they're based on the same manuscripts. You may be able to find and ESV or NASB with good footnotes that tell you how other versions render certain verses.

Status
Not open for further replies.