My Gods Saved Me - My Experience as a Pagan Growing Up In a "Christian" Culture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Maro I have been a Christian for 46 years, and are in reluctant but frank agreement with your view of the parlous state of the Christian church at present, and it is regrettable that your personal interaction with Christians as you grew up, and your familial circumstances contributed to your rejection of Christianity and the Christian God. This is understandable. You have eloquently explained your experience, and I believe it, having shared some of those same experiences of churches who had developed into nothing more than social clubs, a long way from the way Jesus had led and commanded of His followers. But that situation, while true in many places, is not common to every church. It is sad you didn't get to see that there is another side to the Christian church. A side that does have compassion, that truly cares about the downtrodden and the lost, and goes out of their way to help in whatever ways they can, sacrificing self on behalf of others.
I also have a lady friend who is pagan. She is kind, loving, and generous. But sadly, she is not saved. Her sins, her lifestyle, albeit in a human sense outwardly socially acceptable, hides an inner existence bereft of the true God...a life and mindset that rejects the one true God of the Bible as the ultimate and solely worthy authority and Lord. As the apostle Paul said,
KJV 1 Corinthians 8:5-6
5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

As to your statement that your gods predate the God of the bible... Not so. The one true God created all things, be they spirits or human, whether in this world or others, and He created them through His only Son, Jesus, who said, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no man comes to the Father except by Me".
While you give credit to your gods for the good things that have taken place in your life, I would suggest the glory be given the Creator, He who loves you enough to give His only Son to die on your behalf. KJV Romans 2:4
4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

Reactions: The Learner

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Was Maro banned?

Three posts, all on the same day, all on the day Maro became a member of the board, all in the same thread, all in a forum created especially for and with people like Maro in mind.

I doubt very much that Maro was banned. Maro - for reasons probably only known by Maro - hasn’t been back since joining, and may not ever return.

• Sad
Reactions: Dustykitten

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Below: In 'The Wicker Man' Christopher Lee presents a young boy to the landlords daughter to teach him the art of love.
No doubt some christians find the scene offensive but personally i think he's a lucky little chap..:)

Wicker-Man-73.jpg

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Below: In 'The Wicker Man' Christopher Lee presents a young boy to the landlords daughter to teach him the art of love.
No doubt some christians find the scene offensive but personally i think he's a lucky little chap..:)

View attachment 28052

I’m not familiar with the movie.

Lucky?

A “young boy / little chap” is being subjected to abuse and some adults should be facing criminal charges.

Do you approve of that kind of behavior?

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I’m not familiar with the movie.
Lucky?
A “young boy / little chap” is being subjected to abuse and some adults should be facing criminal charges.
Do you approve of that kind of behavior?

You gotta be joking mate, I once got an infant school closed down because at least one of the male teachers was a peedo..:)
The 'Wicker Man' movie was about a bunch of pagans on a remote island terrified that their crops were going to fail.

Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
You gotta be joking mate, I once got an infant school closed down because at least one of the male teachers was a peedo..:)
The 'Wicker Man' movie was about a bunch of pagans on a remote island terrified that their crops were going to fail.

Why did you say that you think the young boy / little chap was lucky?

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why did you say that you think the young boy / little chap was lucky?

The landlord's daughter seemed nice, don't you like girls?
You're not a catholic priest by any chance are you?..;)
PS- What's the "other faith" that you say you belong to?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The landlord's daughter seemed nice, don't you like girls?

You think it’s lucky for a young boy / little chap to be abused by a woman who seemed nice?

You're not a catholic priest by any chance are you?..;)

No.

PS- What's the "other faith" that you say you belong to?

Primitive / Ante-Nicene Christian.

The official position adopted by Christianity Board is Nicene Christian, which as a non-trinitarian member I’m opposed to. A staff member publicly changed their mind about my status as a Christian. For the sake of that person’s conscience, I requested the change and it was graciously approved. “Other Faith” was the only remaining applicable option.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where we go in the afterlife is determined by the Gods. Or, God, for Christianity. How pompous and arrogant does one have to be, to think they have the right to judge?
You have vented many things, but I would say this comment (above in your original post) is the main issue.

If someone asked you for directions, or if you didn't ask but were observed as being in need of direction, and someone offered you directions--is that "pompous and arrogant?" No, it is not...which makes you the one who is judging.

Next question: If a person actually "knows" what is true among the many forms of seeking and different beliefs, is sharing it with someone who is obviously searching, "pompous and arrogant?" Of course not.

So...you're venting. Fine. But you are also obviously searching (maybe not obvious to you). What then would be a good way to offer to help you? Which I ask knowing that you may not actually want help--but I am attempting to be kind to someone who has categorically made accusations against Christians...and therefore I insist.

Last edited:

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You think it’s lucky for a young boy / little chap to be abused by a woman who seemed nice?

Primitive / Ante-Nicene Christian.
The official position adopted by Christianity Board is Nicene Christian, which as a non-trinitarian member I’m opposed to. A staff member publicly changed their mind about my status as a Christian. For the sake of that person’s conscience, I requested the change and it was graciously approved. “Other Faith” was the only remaining applicable option.

1- I'm sure the boy had no complaints..;)

2- You say you're a 'Primitive / Anti-Nicene Christian' which sounds interesting, but why don't you just say you're a Christian?
For example I'm non-denominational which means I don't belong to any church so I just say I'm a Christian..:)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
1- I'm sure the boy had no complaints..;)

The boy is a victim.

2- You say you're a 'Primitive / Anti-Nicene Christian' which sounds interesting, but why don't you just say you're a Christian?
For example I'm non-denominational which means I don't belong to any church so I just say I'm a Christian..:)

I registered as a Christian when I joined Christianity Board. When a trinitarian member of the board complained about me because I’m not a trinitarian, a staff member publicly confirmed that I am a Christian and could post on any and every forum on the board.

My God is not the Trinity. The deity officially endorsed by Christianity Board is the Trinity. The new policy prohibits discussion about the Trinity. The new policy does not prohibit discussion of my God.

That same staff member later changed their position concerning me being a Christian when other trinitarian members of the board complained about me being allowed to post in “Christian Only“ forums.

For the sake of the staff member’s conscience, I proposed this win-win solution.

I’m a Christian who doesn’t meet the definition of Christian as defined by the policy of Christianity Board. No one disputes that.

Christians existed from the very beginning of Christianity who weren’t called Christians until decades later and wouldn’t meet Christianity Board’s definition of Christian. I identify with many - not all - of those pre-Nicea Christians.

There’s only one true God - the God and Father of Jesus of Nazareth.

The owner, administrators, moderators, staff members and Christians who meet the definition established by Christianity Board disagree.

They’re here. I’m here. I don’t go looking for them. If they want to speak with me about my God, or anything else, I’m available and they know where to find me.

I’m a retired Christian pastor. The definition of Christian established by Christianity Board doesn’t alter that fact; it restricts where I’m allowed to post here. I’ve been comfortable with that from the beginning.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The boy is a victim.
I registered as a Christian when I joined Christianity Board. When a trinitarian member of the board complained about me because I’m not a trinitarian, a staff member publicly confirmed that I am a Christian and could post on any and every forum on the board.

1- I'm sure the boy came out of the landlord's daughters room with a big smile on his face..;)

2- Peoples definition of 'trinitarian' seems to differ and I'm still not sure what it means, my own view is that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are 3 separate entities and I can't understand why some people get hot under the collar when discussing it.
As for Jesus, he was definitely NOT God, we know that because he said so himself many times..:)
“Why do you call me good?..No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19)
"Only God knows when Judgment Day will be, I don't know myself" (Mark 13:32)
"I say nothing of my own accord, I only say what my father tells me to say.." (John 12:49)

"I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
1- I'm sure the boy came out of the landlord's daughters room with a big smile on his face..;)

The smiling minor is still a victim. The perpetrators of the abuse are smiling too.

2- Peoples definition of 'trinitarian' seems to differ and I'm still not sure what it means, my own view is that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are 3 separate entities and I can't understand why some people get hot under the collar when discussing it.
As for Jesus, he was definitely NOT God, we know that because he said so himself many times..:)
“Why do you call me good?..No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19)
"Only God knows when Judgment Day will be, I don't know myself" (Mark 13:32)
"I say nothing of my own accord, I only say what my father tells me to say.." (John 12:49)

"I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28)

I’m an ex-trinitarian myself.

Jesus plainly stated who his God and the God of his followers is. Jesus does not meet the requirements established by Christianity Board. His God and my God is not the Trinity. I stand with him.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The smiling minor is still a victim. The perpetrators of the abuse are smiling too.

I’m an ex-trinitarian myself.
Jesus plainly stated who his God and the God of his followers is. Jesus does not meet the requirements established by Christianity Board. His God and my God is not the Trinity. I stand with him.

1- at school we all had a crush on Wendy the school secretary and longed in our dreams to be "abused" by her..:)

2- I think there's a Christianity Board 'Statement of Faith' somewhere that states exactly what members are supposed to agree to; I glanced at it myself when registering but couldn't understand half of it because it wasn't clear enough.
At the time I suggested to the forum admins/mods that it should perhaps be re-written to get rid of the grey areas, but i don't know if they got round to it.
Meanwhile i'll just go on stating my own beliefs and stuff..:)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
1- at school we all had a crush on Wendy the school secretary and longed in our dreams to be "abused" by her..:)

That’s the immaturity of children. Predators take advantage of it / them.

2- I think there's a Christianity Board 'Statement of Faith' somewhere that states exactly what members are supposed to agree to; I glanced at it myself when registering but couldn't understand half of it because it wasn't clear enough.
At the time I suggested to the forum admins/mods that it should perhaps be re-written to get rid of the grey areas, but i don't know if they got round to it.

There is. They doubled-down on it. It hasn’t been changed and there are no plans to change it.

Meanwhile i'll just go on stating my own beliefs and stuff..:)

Me too, in forums where the Board policy permits me to.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..I am just a Pagan..

You were probably put off Jesus by some christians who set a bad example, and you let them stand like a roadblock between you and him.
You don't have to go through them to find Jesus, just go AROUND them..:)

Reactions: Matthias