"Never take our eyes off Jesus."

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any comments or thoughts on this?
It was something that a poster said here...

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok...lemme say my thought when I read this when my head tilted like my doggy..
That should get the ball rolling because people will disagree !!!

First, when humans say Never or Only I reread their sentence with polite skeptism.
That's how I roll and have passed many a State Exam because of that discerning eye.
I digressed...

Jesus pointed to the Father constantly...the Father is what I will never take my eye/ eyes from.

It is reminiscent of the saying, 'You are looking at the finger pointing to the Moon.'

Controversial enuff to get the ball rolling? Lol ☺

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Miss Hepburn
People's problem with this is they too often do not know what it means to keep one's eyes on Jesus or what it means when we do not. There are lots of scripture that talk about it but the verses that first come to my mind relate to Peter:

"And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.
But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.
And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.
And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?" Matt 14:26-31

They saw Jesus but how clearly? They were doubtful. Peter asked for confirmation of who or what he was seeing by asking about stepping. I believe that if he were really able to see Jesus clearly and had kept his eyes on the Master as he walked on the water, he would NOT have begun to sink.

We have to have eyes to see and we must keep them open and look at the right thing in order to approach God. Still, as we see with Peter, God is not without mercy: When Peter saw his danger he had within him the right words: "Lord save me"

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Miss Hepburn YES, YES...this is the one I was asking you about in the other thread! I knew I had seen a new thread started by you...but I lost it!!

Not taking our eyes off of Jesus.
To me it has always meant ( what @amadeus said) but also for me....it speaks of " what we behold we become."
2 Cor. 3 18 "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord."

" Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith.."

"Moses ...endured, as seeing Him who is invisible."

Everything is about vision, focus..and looking in the right direction...
So yes, I do "look to the Lord" all day long. :)
Like I have mentioned somewhere...when we have done the job at hand..our spiritual eyes return once again to our Magnetic North..The Lord, "from whence cometh my strength..."

Don't you just love the cometh's and whence's. :)

I am so often barked at on the Site for not using scriptures in a discussion..
Ally' did it again yesterday, but it is often being said to me.
And I agree, I don't.
Personally I don't believe that we have to.
I am sure in our time, we have all read the bible from Gen- through to Rev countless times over the years....it is in us...or should be...a living part of us!! I don't stand in the grocery line speaking to someone and quote scripture to them. Neither do I visit with someone and quite scripture all the time...I speak from the heart...from the me inside.
And that is what I do on these threads...I just speak my heart and what is written there...It annoys people I know.
But, IF we are honest ( which some are not) we would all admit that any fool can pull any scripture by "cherry picking" which ever scripture happens to fit the argument best. So, for me, a 'war of scripture quotes' is off the book for me...it is silly and most times fruitless.

But, that said...when I do happen to quote scripture , it will be the KJV because that is what is in me. lol :D

( Hows that for going off topic in my first post! Sorry. :oops: )

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
First, when humans say Never or Only I reread their sentence with polite skeptism.
That's how I roll and have passed many a State Exam because of that discerning eye.
I digressed...
ha ya, 'always' and 'never' are not really words we are qualified to use lol

imo the eyes on Jesus thing is great when the spiritual implications are understood, and terrible when they are not.

Reactions: Pisteuo

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok...lemme say my thought when I read this when my head tilted like my doggy..
That should get the ball rolling because people will disagree !!!

I digressed...

Jesus pointed to the Father constantly...the Father is what I will never take my eye/ eyes from.

It is reminiscent of the saying, 'You are looking at the finger pointing to the Moon.'

Controversial enuff to get the ball rolling? Lol ☺

na, you might be splitting hairs here. no one gets to the Father but through Jesus. now unless you are Jesus then how does one go to the Father? He's the Door correct? then it might be wise to keep one's eye on the Door to go through the Door.

also, all of creation knows its Creator and its Creator's Will through His Word. so unless you are the Word then one should look to Jesus to see the Father. He teaches if you know Him you know His Father who is in Heaven. you are mistaken to think one can get to the Father without the Son.

Reactions: Armadillo