New Moon Festival

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i've read & participated in dozens of theological Christian & pseudo-christian forums over the last 15 years, and something that seems to come up ubiquitously, is that many people inform me i am damned to hell if i do not physically observe the sabbath day of the Mosaic law.

100% of the time, if the discussion is pursued, this passage is given as "evidence" that it's sabbath-or-damnation:

And it shall come to pass
That from one new moon to another,
And from one sabbath to another,
All flesh shall come to worship before Me,

says the LORD.
(Isaiah 66:23)
go to any 'christian' discussion board and you will find dozens and dozens of threads espousing sabbath-keeping.
you will typically find zero on new moon festival observance.

this puzzles and frightens me -- this passage, if it is commanding eternal sabbath-keeping, is likewise commanding eternal new-moon-festival keeping -- and it lists the new moon first! with primacy!
likewise the days of creation -- the moon is created on yom 4, but it isn't until yom 7 that God rests. ordinal primacy again, the new moon is before the sabbath!

another striking thing is that these kind souls who mean to save my soul by commanding me to keep sabbath invariably argue that the sabbath commandment predates the law, therefore it is very great, and remains even if in Christ the law is taken away -- yet the new moon festival is not even written in the law but it is still presumed in the psalms, in Isaiah, and in Colossians. by the sabbatarians own arguments, the new moon festival is even greater than sabbath because it is so evident that it must be kept it need not even be written in the law!
the Hebrew calendar by which Leviticus is arranged is determined by the moon not by the sabbath -- isn't this for yet another witness saying it is greater?

why are there no threads on new moon festival??
how am i supposed to keep it?
am i going to hell because of my ignorance of this special ceremonial day?
who is wise among you; who can teach me these things?

please help

Reactions: Matthias

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well stated. We are not under the Law of Moses like the Saturday Sabbath, circumcision, dietary laws, holy days, etcetera. But we are under the Laws of Christ (See: 1 Corinthians 9:21). This would be the commands that come from Jesus and His apostles (found in the pages of the New Testament). Sabbatarian Christians are not looking to draw meaning out of the New Testament when it comes to obeying God’s commands. There is no Sabbath commands in the NT. No Sabbath day breaking sins listed along murder, adultery, theft, coveting, etcetera. The Saturday Sabbath is never emphasized as the most important command as Sabbatarians seem to teach.

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
not this Christian parody site
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
God made the Sabbath for us.

It is up to any Christian if they wish to observe that traditional observance from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday.

God's gift of rest from our daily labors.

We're not Jews but when our Sabbath rest is in Jesus, who was God who gifted us that time of rest, who can argue the individual Christian has no right of choice to observe that day where we can take time all day to rest with our attention solely on the Lord?

Surely, not those who insist we choose to be saved.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And it shall come to pass That from one new moon to another, And from one sabbath to another, All flesh shall come to worship before Me, says the LORD.(Isaiah 66:23)
This has no application to the present Age of Grace. However, after the Millennium is established on earth, this prophecy shall be fulfilled. The moon will still be a heavenly body at that time. "All flesh" is a term for "all humanity".

For the present time, we have this Scripture: Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

What this says is that because of the crucifixion, death, burial, and resurrection of Christ, all the OT ceremonial observances are to be deemed as "shadows". The reality is Christ. Therefore new moons and sabbath are of no significance to Christians. But they will be during the Millennium.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i've read & participated in dozens of theological Christian & pseudo-christian forums over the last 15 years, and something that seems to come up ubiquitously, is that many people inform me i am damned to hell if i do not physically observe the sabbath day of the Mosaic law.

100% of the time, if the discussion is pursued, this passage is given as "evidence" that it's sabbath-or-damnation:

And it shall come to pass
That from one new moon to another,
And from one sabbath to another,
All flesh shall come to worship before Me,

says the LORD.
(Isaiah 66:23)
go to any 'christian' discussion board and you will find dozens and dozens of threads espousing sabbath-keeping.
you will typically find zero on new moon festival observance.

this puzzles and frightens me -- this passage, if it is commanding eternal sabbath-keeping, is likewise commanding eternal new-moon-festival keeping -- and it lists the new moon first! with primacy!
likewise the days of creation -- the moon is created on yom 4, but it isn't until yom 7 that God rests. ordinal primacy again, the new moon is before the sabbath!

another striking thing is that these kind souls who mean to save my soul by commanding me to keep sabbath invariably argue that the sabbath commandment predates the law, therefore it is very great, and remains even if in Christ the law is taken away -- yet the new moon festival is not even written in the law but it is still presumed in the psalms, in Isaiah, and in Colossians. by the sabbatarians own arguments, the new moon festival is even greater than sabbath because it is so evident that it must be kept it need not even be written in the law!
the Hebrew calendar by which Leviticus is arranged is determined by the moon not by the sabbath -- isn't this for yet another witness saying it is greater?

why are there no threads on new moon festival??
how am i supposed to keep it?
am i going to hell because of my ignorance of this special ceremonial day?
who is wise among you; who can teach me these things?

please help

It is not a salvation issue sir, but everyone I know violates it, so who could be saved?