Should we keep the Sabbath?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Should we keep the weekly Sabbaths?

I don't think anyone, including Abraham, was commanded to keep the Sabbath until Exodus 31:

13 You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, ‘Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the LORD, sanctify you.
Sabbath was a special sign of the covenant between God and the Israelites after exiting Egypt.

In the NT, Jesus healed on a Sabbath in John 5:

8 Jesus said to him [P1], “Get up, take up your bed, and walk.” 9 And at once the man was healed, and he took up his bed and walked.
Now that day was the Sabbath. 10 So the Jews said to the man who had been healed, “It is the Sabbath, and it is not lawful for you to take up your bed.”
According to the Jewish authority, Jesus broke the Sabbath and Jesus told P1 to break the Sabbath. The Pharisees saw sins as external behaviors. See e.g., The 39 Categories of Sabbath Work Prohibited By Law. Jesus shifted the focus to the heart where sin originated (Matthew 5:28).

Paul had this to say in Romans 14:

5 One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6a The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord.
Should we keep the Sabbaths?

According to Paul, it is up to the individual believers. Further, we should not judge others about Sabbath, Colossians 2:

16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.
Similarly, Jesus warned in Matthew 7:

1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with the judgment you pronounce, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
I will not judge anyone for keeping the weekly Sabbaths or not.

If you keep the Sabbaths, are you going to keep the punishment?

Numbers 15:

32 While the Israelites were in the wilderness, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day. 33 Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly, 34 and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. 35 Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp.” 36 So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the Lord commanded Moses.
The weekly Sabbath is only a shadow of the true Sabbath rest. Once we have the true reality, chasing after the shadows is unnecessary.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:16
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

Amen Jesus, I won't!

Reactions: mailmandan

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't think anyone, including Abraham, was commanded to keep the Sabbath until Exodus 31:

Sabbath was a special sign of the covenant between God and the Israelites after exiting Egypt.

In the NT, Jesus healed on a Sabbath in John 5:

According to the Jewish authority, Jesus broke the Sabbath and Jesus told P1 to break the Sabbath. The Pharisees saw sins as external behaviors. See e.g., The 39 Categories of Sabbath Work Prohibited By Law. Jesus shifted the focus to the heart where sin originated (Matthew 5:28).

Paul had this to say in Romans 14:

Should we keep the Sabbaths?

According to Paul, it is up to the individual believers. Further, we should not judge others about Sabbath, Colossians 2:

Similarly, Jesus warned in Matthew 7:

I will not judge anyone for keeping the weekly Sabbaths or not.

If you keep the Sabbaths, are you going to keep the punishment?

Numbers 15:

The weekly Sabbath is only a shadow of the true Sabbath rest. Once we have the true reality, chasing after the shadows is unnecessary.
We all need a day's rest each week.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbath keeping with all it's rules and regulations, was part of a covenant with Israel (Exodus 16:23, 29; 31:12-18; 35:1-3; Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3, 32; Numbers 15:32-36; 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13; Amos 8:5; Nehemiah 10:31) that is not binding on the Church/Christians under the new covenant. (Colossians 2:16-17)

Reactions: Jack and TonyChanYT

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Has anyone ever asked the TRUE question, WHO, "made the Sabbath", WHO "rested the Sabbath", WHO "blessed the Sabbath", WHO "sanctified the Sabbath"? Has anyone ever asked the TRUE question, HAS NOT HE WHO HAD DONE ALL these things, BEEN, HE, WHO, ALONE, ever, 'KEPT the weekly Sabbath', WHO, ever, CALLED, the Sabbath, "THE SEVENTH DAY"? IS NOT HE WHO HAD DONE ALL these things, BEEN, HE, "the Son Of Man--LORD OF THE SABBATH THE LORD'S DAY"?

And last - to forever silence the guilty, death deserving sinners judging and condemning THE JUST OVER HIS JUDGEMENTS - has anyone ever asked the TRUE question, WHO, "the Sabbath the Seventh Day, LIVED AGAIN"?, "WHO, WHILE HE WAS ALIVE, SPOKE AND SAID, THE THIRD DAY I RISE... and INDEED IN FULLNESS OF THE SABBATH DAY... on the day which is after the Preparation... in the mid-afternoon daylight inclining towards before the First Day of the week..." <the weekly Sabbath Day> DID RISE--EVEN FROM THE DEAD "revived the Seventh Day" ?

And the answer is, NO ONE! Yes indeed not a single Sundayresurrectionist arrogating monstrous human mind, but more audaciously, not indeed a single Saturdarian-grave-sleeper ASHAMED of the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Sabbath keeping with all it's rules and regulations, was part of a covenant with Israel (Exodus 16:23, 29; 31:12-18; 35:1-3; Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3, 32; Numbers 15:32-36; 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13; Amos 8:5; Nehemiah 10:31) that is not binding on the Church/Christians under the new covenant. (Colossians 2:16-17)
Axiomatic: All the Law of God - maybe most of all the Fourth of the Ten Commandments - is the Word of God to every man to the condemnation to eternal death.

Now tell God, <Sabbath keeping with all it's rules and regulations, was part of a covenant with Israel ... that is not binding on the Church/Christians under the new covenant. (Colossians 2:16-17)>. Come on! Tell Him! How dare He condemn you, Mailmandan, for or over something <not binding on the Church/Christians under the new covenant> and that, in defiance of <Colossians 2:16-17>... shucks!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! The Law of Moses was ONLY for Israel.

Reactions: mailmandan

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stick with the New Covenant. It's the way to salvation by Jesus' Blood.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have a covenant with God? If so, word for word what is it?
It's called the New Covenant that Jesus paid for with His Blood.

Matthew 26:28
28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

URwrongAgain

Feb 23, 2024
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's called the New Covenant that Jesus paid for with His Blood.

Matthew 26:28
28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
Yeah, well, what is the covenant? The blood sanctifies the covenant. So what is the covenant
that His blood is sanctifying? Have we gone beyond your boundaries of cleverness?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, well, what is the covenant? The blood sanctifies the covenant. So what is the covenant
that His blood is sanctifying? Have we gone beyond your boundaries of cleverness?
It teaches us about Jesus, God in the flesh. the ONLY Savior Who washes away our sins with His priceless Blood. Matthew - Rev!

URwrongAgain

Feb 23, 2024
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew - Revelation teaches us all about Jesus, God of the Bible and how to obtain Salvation. You should read it.
Oh please, I defeated you many post ago.
You don't even know the covenant you be claiming to have with God.

:Happy::Happy::Happy: