New Testament Church vs Modern Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like to see personal evangelism emphasized over church outreach. It seems churches grow, and the message spread more effectively when members of a congregation are busy on a personal level with their neighbors and co-workers witnessing the truth to them (in whatever way they are equipped to do that). I don't think I've ever seen a church wide evangelistic event have much success. The only thing it did was make the members of the church feel good about doing something. But I've heard lots of stories of individual believers leading people to an awareness of Christ and the gospel and getting them to come to church. Lot's of stories. Wonderful, edifying stories that encourage the rest of us to do personal outreach. IMO, evangelism should be a task each of us takes with us to the corners of the world we are engaged in, not the focal point of a church.

This may sound weird at first, but churches are not necessarily ministries. Churches are for growing Christians up into the faith. It's the family and house where spiritual children are raised. Ministries are for the work of purposely reaching out to the world according to whatever gift it revolves around - helps, evangelism, etc. Churches get in trouble when they devote themselves entirely to being a ministry rather than a household of growing, maturing believers.

Amen, I agree.
Ppl desperately need to be taught the truth in the word so they can tell others.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You will not.
Don't ignore that sinking feeling.
I wish I was wrong, but they're probably not going to be open to correction. They think they're supposed to be the know-it-alls. I'm not being mean. They carry a very real burden of always having to be right. And to admit they are wrong tears away at the legitimacy of their ministry. Yes, the leadership should know more than the rest of us, but they also have to be learning with us too! I had a pastor who was like that. He didn't have to know it all, and he didn't. But what he did know was very useful and effective to the body. His own teachings taught him, too. They say when teaching others you are your best student. That's a fact check true. I'm not a teacher, but one time I labored intensely over a teaching/discussion I wanted to lead about Abraham and the sacrifice of Isaac. I ended up being my best student.

In the church building and organization I started in I began teaching infants and progressed through the ages. It is how I learned from milk to meat for myself as well.

That was a calling in my life.....to teach. I learned, I lived it and I loved it !

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But that's not 'church'.

Yes, I know. The point is the focus was to bring people to your home in doing good. It’s an analogy of breaking our comfort zones involving in our having fellowship with other believers in our homes (When it is just believers there).

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At the time I chose it, I did not know (or remember?) the original movie theater production was not a movie that I personally, or any Christian should watch. The TV version is just a fun, make believe day in the life.

Even the TV version does not change the main storyline. Ferris still lies to his parents about his skipping school and this encourages others to also lie to others. The Bible says all liars will have their part in the Lake of Fire. Ferris is the embodiment of lying. So I am not so sure why you would want to promote a movie that pushes a character that lies as the premise of the whole film. Then again, I am not surprised you don’t see it. I also was blind when I watched big budget Hollywood films. It was not until I put away these films in 2016 that I could fully see them for what they were and the sinful things they promoted within them.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyway, this totally ignores the concept of the synagogue. The place where, in the dispersion, the Jews met in accordance with God's various commands for congregational meeting. Obviously, the early church had to meet in homes. That in no way was setting a precedent that believers can only meet in homes. That wouldn't even be possible in my home and many people's homes. Public meeting places are by far more effective and suited to the health and well-being and success of the church, IMO. I'm not knocking home churches, but I personally see too many potential limitations and problems with them. If one was done right I might attend.

I am not denying that they met at the Synagogue. But they did not create the Synagogue in order to meet there. The Synagogue was already in existence and I don’t believe they had to pay in order to speak there. The point here is fellowship. What did the Gentile believers do in fellowship? Did they meet alone at the Synagogue? I am also not denying that there would be hardships or potential problems in house fellowship. But if we follow God’s Word and his model for the church gathering in that it was in homes, then we must realize that all things work together for good to those who love God (Especially when we are following His way and not our own way).

Side Note:

It’s obvious that the Synagogue was of the Old Covenant ways. These were not buildings created as a part of the New Covenant. That’s the point. Sure, could they use them to speak the truth? Yes. But these were not places created as a part of the New Covenant way.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are right lil sis.
I even have been to brush arbor and tent services.

The churches here really belong to the world now. Ppl attend for social standing instead of worshipping God.

The youths music is flashing lights LOUD LOUD music. Now I realize it takes more to reach the young than yesterday...... but should it ? Arent we compromising?

The first century church was persecuted unto death, had to meet anywhere it was safe even the catacombs of Rome.

It would give so much money to the needs of those we are to show Gods love to IF.....we didnt have to buy the pastor a yr 202_ car every year. If we didnt have to extend the building project to seat 5ooo more Fortune 500 ppl.

I dont mean to sound ugly but if the salt has lost its savour it is good only to cast in the streets.

God is more than man, buildings, fancy dress, up-dated cars, expensive vacations. The church has lost its vision.

Most have LOST GOD !
"Where there is no vision, the people perish:..." Prov 29:18

"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see." Rev 3:18

Where then pray tell does one get eyesalve and what would it cost?

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Rom 12:1-2

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Wynona

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I know. The point is the focus was to bring people to your home in doing good. It’s an analogy of breaking our comfort zones involving in our having fellowship with other believers in our homes (When it is just believers there).
This has nothing to do with where to have a meeting of the church.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even the TV version does not change the main storyline. Ferris still lies to his parents about his skipping school and this encourages others to also lie to others. The Bible says all liars will have their part in the Lake of Fire. Ferris is the embodiment of lying. So I am not so sure why you would want to promote a movie that pushes a character that lies as the premise of the whole film. Then again, I am not surprised you don’t see it. I also was blind when I watched big budget Hollywood films. It was not until I put away these films in 2016 that I could fully see them for what they were and the sinful things they promoted within them.
I think I can count on two hands the number of secular movies I've seen since being born again in 1986. So you're preachin' to the choir here. People get frustrated with me that I haven't seen a movie they want to talk about. Our difference lies in where each of us draws the line between what we think we can watch and what not we should not watch. At the level we're talking about that, that amounts to personal conviction. You are free to draw the line wherever you want to, just as I am. What we are not free to do is draw it for each other. Again, this is in the context of movies that aren't cut and dry as to whether we are allowed to watch them. Obviously, nudity is a no go in any movie. Which pretty much makes it so movies today simply can not be watched by Christians. They need to have a different hobby than that. You follow your convictions about the disputable stuff, just as I will. God can handle it from there. This is all right out of Romans 14.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point here is fellowship. What did the Gentile believers do in fellowship? Did they meet alone at the Synagogue?
No. Christians couldn't come any where near the temple or a synagogue! That's why they HAD to meet in homes and parks. They were not setting a precedent for a new official, required style of meeting. The Bible just doesn't say that. It doesn't even allude to it. It just tells us historically what they did.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. Christians couldn't come any where near the temple or a synagogue! That's why they HAD to meet in homes and parks. They were not setting a precedent for a new official, required style of meeting. The Bible just doesn't say that. It doesn't even allude to it. It just tells us historically what they did.

Yes sir,
What they did was share the word, fellowship in love and the " chuch" grew daily as the Lord willed and the church grew mightily.

It is coming to that stage once again where the true believers will gather and call on the name of the Lord away from corrupted buildings, governments, and ppls !

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today I shared what I was learning about modern traditions vs biblical church with the ladies at the crisis pregnancy ministry where I volunteer.

Our beloved director agreed with me. She has stopped attending her current church. She considers our ministry to be her real source of fellowship.

Today I thought of the wine skins analogy. I feel like our traditional denominational churches have become like the old wineskins. Pour something new and it will burst.

I'm at a strange place being an active member of a denominational church, but wanting something different. I want something different for my children.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm at a strange place being an active member of a denominational church, but wanting something different. I want something different for my children.
There is nothing to stop Christians to gather with like-minded Christians in a home to worship and also implement the concept of a New Testament church. If there are more than a home can accommodate, there are many facilities which can be rented. Particularly when governments become the sworn enemies of Christians, and put pastors in jail for exercising their freedoms to worship and gather together without government regulation.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing to stop Christians to gather with like-minded Christians in a home to worship and also implement the concept of a New Testament church. If there are more than a home can accommodate, there are many facilities which can be rented. Particularly when governments become the sworn enemies of Christians, and put pastors in jail for exercising their freedoms to worship and gather together without government regulation.

ABOLUTELY !

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This has nothing to do with where to have a meeting of the church.

I don’t believe it totally unrelated to the point I was making because both calling believers to your home and feeding the poor with a meal call us to move outside our comfort zones and to trust in God (in both circumstances). We tend to want to protect our perfect little worlds and be safe. We don’t want to rattle the cage. The point of breaking that comfort zone was the related parallel I was making and not in the fact that these two are the same exact thing in every way. Both are also related in how we love. We are to love both the brethren and the poor. This is a part of loving our neighbor (Which is the second greatest commandment).

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Where there is no vision, the people perish:..." Prov 29:18

"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see." Rev 3:18

Where then pray tell does one get eyesalve and what would it cost?

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Rom 12:1-2
They get eyesalve from the same one who gives them white robes . THE GLORIOUS LORD JESUS CHRIST .
Let us stay well planted in the holy scriptures . And let all that draws breath praise the glorious Lord .

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t believe it totally unrelated to the point I was making because both calling believers to your home and feeding the poor with a meal call us to move outside our comfort zones and to trust in God (in both circumstances). We tend to want to protect our perfect little worlds and be safe. We don’t want to rattle the cage. The point of breaking that comfort zone was the related parallel I was making and not in the fact that these two are the same exact thing in every way. Both are also related in how we love. We are to love both the brethren and the poor. This is a part of loving our neighbor (Which is the second greatest commandment).
But it has nothing to do with having a meeting of the saints in a public place or in a private residence.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I can count on two hands the number of secular movies I've seen since being born again in 1986. So you're preachin' to the choir here. People get frustrated with me that I haven't seen a movie they want to talk about. Our difference lies in where each of us draws the line between what we think we can watch and what not we should not watch. At the level we're talking about that, that amounts to personal conviction. You are free to draw the line wherever you want to, just as I am. What we are not free to do is draw it for each other. Again, this is in the context of movies that aren't cut and dry as to whether we are allowed to watch them. Obviously, nudity is a no go in any movie. Which pretty much makes it so movies today simply can not be watched by Christians. They need to have a different hobby than that. You follow your convictions about the disputable stuff, just as I will. God can handle it from there. This is all right out of Romans 14.

It does not matter if you only seen one movie since 1986 and it was Ferris Bueller. The fact that you promote this film by your avatar and username means you approve of it. This means you don’t see anything wrong with a child lying to his parents. But the Bible condemns lying and says that all liars will have their part in the Lake of Fire. Lying is just as much of a sin as promoting nudity (lust for those to fornicate). So again, this is deeper than just a simple movie you see as harmless. It’s not a conviction of mine personally that this movie is wrong. Any person can see that the movie promotes lying as the premise for the whole film. Lying is a sin that if justified leads to the lake of fire. There really is no way to say so otherwise. So you can keep promoting the sin of lying if you like by the promotion of this movie, but just know it’s not right. Romans 14 is not in relation to whether we have liberty to lie or not. It’s referring to the kind of food we can eat, and the keeping of certain days as sacred involving our worship of the Lord. That’s the liberty it’s talking about. It does not mean you have a liberty to promote media that teaches that you can lie. That’s just wrong on so many levels.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But it has nothing to do with having a meeting of the saints in a public place or in a private residence.

It does to the point I made about moving outside our comfort zones. Both also are involved in loving our neighbor properly. To have fellowship in our home vs. being in a big church building means you are more correctly loving the brethren (i.e. loving your neighbor). For being in big crowd of strangers in big church building means you can be detached from everyone else. But invite them to your home opens the door to talking to them face to face and serving them in love and to share with them your love for Christ.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This was not always the case.

Acts of the Apostles 14:1-2
“And it came to pass in Iconium, that they went both together into the synagogue of the Jews, and so spake, that a great multitude both of the Jews and also of the Greeks believed. But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles, and made their minds evil affected against the brethren.”