New To Christianity.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jaxy

My advice to you would be simply get alone with the word of God. He knows you now bc you have accepted him. The autism is a small matter when communing with him.

The Holy Spirit of the God we serve will lead you through his word. He will give you comfort and insight into what is being said. He opens our spiritual eyes to the spiritual message.

You really only need God, not another human to help you through the word. Prayer is the exact thing as talking to another human. Just talk with God, tell him you don't understand a saying and his Spirit will teach you along the lines of belief.

Gods doctrines are within the word not man's interpretation.
So as a new babe found in Christ, I would start out easy and learn from the 4 gospels all about our saviour, God's love and the commands we are to follow.

Blessing and prayers on your journey !

• Love
Reactions: Mr E

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
My autism, an unfamilar enviorment with unfamilar people makes my anxiety rise fast.
there’s what strikes me as a great UK website, “shipoffools,” that i guess doesnt allow americans for membership? or at least i couldnt get in…
another reason to recommend them, prolly

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Start by believing that God will never let you go
ha start by believing that to get to Israel you must first wrestle with God

God only takes us into His family because JESUS has died for us, and God accepts this SACRIFICE
not true, sorry
understand the lesson of Esau
(whom Yah “had hated”)

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am new to Christianity, I was brought up in an Atheist household so never learnt about any religion. What advice would you give?

You might not realize it, but you have a tremendous advantage. You aren't burdened by 'ideas' and in particular bad ideas, many of which come from "religion."

The best advice I can offer is to recognize that you are going to be given a lot of bad advice. You don't need a church building, or a preacher or teacher to tell you what they think. God brought you here, HE will lead you on.

Use the bible to 'light your path.' It's like a lamp that shines in the darkness (your not-knowing) and with the light of scripture, He directs your footsteps so that you stumble less and less often as you walk with Him.

Get a Bible-- get a translation that's easy to read for you-- New American Standard, New International Version, King James-- it doesn't really matter in the beginning, just get into it and get it into you. You can do this on your own, and you can ask questions here on the forum. Someone else pointed out-- and it's true. This is the church. The true church is people, not a place. It's the body of Christ made up of many members-- not some particular place or style or denomination. Many individual members who have opened their heart to receive the Christ.

He's like Grub-Hub. He comes to you. He feeds you.

May God bless you as you embark on this adventure with Him.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, would you be willing to share your story of how you came to embrace Christianity even though raised in an Atheist home? Sounds fascinating.

Reactions: Mantis

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So read John, Luke, Mark & Matthew? Then what?
There is no " then what" if you let God's Spirit lead you.

He will lead you further into the next phase if you get an understanding of Jesus.

Lean on him and by his leading you thoroughly and slowly through the word your understanding will be rooted in good soil

Reactions: Mr E

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So as a new babe found in Christ, I would start out easy and learn from the 4 gospels all about our saviour, God's love and the commands we are to follow.

So read John, Luke, Mark & Matthew? Then what?
Relax, my friend. Learning, like life itself, is a journey not a destination. You have already arrived and are very welcome just as you are.

One Christian teacher said somone new to Christianity should start with The Gospel of Luke because it is written for us Gentiles (fewer references to the Jewish tradition).

I don't want to get all into doctrine (like @Behold and @bbyrd009 have). But I do want to say that our walk is a walk of faith. As @Mr E said, (faith) is a lamp that shines in the darkness (your not-knowing) and with the light of scripture, He directs your footsteps. When you finish reading the Gospels, trust that God's Spirit will guide you, listen for his quiet whisper encouraging what might be best for you to do next.

Jesus told his disciples that the Holy Spirit will tell them what to say WHEN they need it (not before hand). This does not come naturally to us, who prefer to be in control. But there is the test of our faith. We are not in control. I cannot say that I will look forward to talking to you tomorrow because God might call me home tonight. God is in control. Honestly, it takes a huge burden off our shoulders to realize the Supreme Being, who knows all and love us more than we can imagine, is in control. Amen (So be it).

• Love
Reactions: Mantis and Mr E

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
start with The Gospel of Luke

Then what?
It just dawned on me. In addition to finding a church, consider also finding a Bible Study program. Keep in mind, these are 2 separate choices. The best Bible study program for you may not be the best church for you to do to.

You obviously are hungry to ingest the Word of God and that is a wonderful thing. Most Bible Study programs are kind of like a school class, only the learning never ends. This might satisfy you even more than the one hour church service.

I'll keep you in my prayers Jaxy.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One other thing about going to church. Because my wife and I are getting on in years with some health problems, nearly half the time we take advantage of technology my church has leveraged. We watch live (and past) services on Youtube. I'm sure churches near you do the same.

Not only is it more convenient, it may help with your anxiety. Feel free to call - or email - the pastor with any questions about the sermon.

Reactions: Mantis

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My autism, an unfamilar enviorment with unfamilar people makes my anxiety rise fast.
I’ll bet Jesus will help you with that. I used to have bad anxiety. I am now at perfect peace with no anxiety! In fact I think that is one of the most amazing things he can to us. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. God’s peace surpasses all understanding.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am new to Christianity, I was brought up in an Atheist household so never learnt about any religion. What advice would you give?
I think it would help you to read the Bible, cover to cover. That will give you a whole lot of knowledge. Go to church on Sundays. Pray constantly (1 Thessalonians 5:17). (Praying is listening as well as speaking. As a matter of fact, I would say listening is the more important of the two.) Remember the two great commandments:

[34] But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sad'ducees, they came together.
[35] And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him.
[36] "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
[37] And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
[38] This is the great and first commandment.
[39] And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
[40] On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:34-40 Revised Standard Version