No authority!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope! MY spiritual authority is through the Holy Spirit! Not bread and wine and man made "sacraments". There are only two ordinances commanded by jesus

Teh Lords supper and Baptism.

Nope!

But who are the twelve apostles today then?

not twelve but about 3000

there are seven sacraments or ordinances

you want a list and scripture for each one

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jn 10:16 apostles be fold

The Ark of Salvation!

The church is founded by Christ and the sacraments are instituted by Christ for the salvation of all men!

The church and Jesus are one: acts 9
The church and the sacraments are necessary for and the means of salvation and the life of grace!

Redemption: Eph 2
Justification: Mk 16:16 Jn 3:5 Acts 2:38
Sanctification: Jn 1:16 Jn 10:10 Jn 15:5
Salvation: Matt 24:13 Rom 13:11

The body of Christ:
1 Corinthians 12:27

The one true church:
Matt 16:18 Jn 10:16

The household of faith:
Gal 6:10

The house of God:
1 Tim 3:15

The church of the living God:
1 Tim 3:15

The kingdom of God on earth:
Dan 2:44 Matt 6:33 Matt 16:18 Matt 12:28 Mk 1:15 Jn 3:3-5 Acts 8:12 1 Cor 4:20 Col 4:11 1 Thes 2:12 Rev 1:9 12:10

The new and eternal covenant:
The one fold of Christ:

The new covenant body of Christ church is an ark, the ark of Peter, the ark of Noah was a type, all those outside the ark died, and all those outside the church die spiritually, there is no life outside of Noah’s ark and there is no spiritual life or salvation outside of the church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles!

1 Pet 3:20
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark all died and outside the church there is no salvation!)

Hope you can swim? Cos outside the ark of salvation all drown!

Tell that to your catholic devotees. It is not on my horizon in any shape or form.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
2 Timothy 3:16-17 - All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (Read More...)

Psalms 119:105 - NUN. Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Matthew 4:4 - But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Romans 15:4 - For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1 Timothy 4:13 - Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

Psalms 119:18 - Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.

Psalms 119:10-11 - With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. (Read More...)

John 15:7 - If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

1 Peter 2:2 - As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

Psalms 1:2 - But his delight [is] in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 Timothy 2:7 - Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

2 Timothy 2:15 - Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I find providing a list of verses unhelpful without discussion of a few points.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 3:16-17 - All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (Read More...)

Psalms 119:105 - NUN. Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Matthew 4:4 - But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Romans 15:4 - For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1 Timothy 4:13 - Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

Psalms 119:18 - Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.

Psalms 119:10-11 - With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. (Read More...)

John 15:7 - If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

1 Peter 2:2 - As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

Psalms 1:2 - But his delight [is] in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 Timothy 2:7 - Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

2 Timothy 2:15 - Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Hi Nancy,

Sadly for the last 500 years Protestantism has taught that 1 & 2 Timothy are meant for anyone that reads the bible. It is a well known fact that they are Pastoral Epistles from Paul to Timothy! They were written with the intent to instruct persons engaged in pastoral work and contain many directions for pastoral duties.

They were sent, not to churches, but to office-bearers, instructing them how to behave in the house of God. Paul was giving Timothy instructions and advice for leading the church.

Are you a Pastor?

Curious Mary

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Nancy,

Sadly for the last 500 years Protestantism has taught that 1 & 2 Timothy are meant for anyone that reads the bible. It is a well known fact that they are Pastoral Epistles from Paul to Timothy! They were written with the intent to instruct persons engaged in pastoral work and contain many directions for pastoral duties.

They were sent, not to churches, but to office-bearers, instructing them how to behave in the house of God. Paul was giving Timothy instructions and advice for leading the church.

Are you a Pastor?

Curious Mary

granting the premise all scripture
What scripture?
What books?
What is scripture and what is not scripture?
And how do you know?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the lie that has been promoted by the Catholic Church for hundreds of years. Thankfully many former Catholics have seen through this tyranny, and left that church.
Hi Enoch,

I don't think you have thought this one out very well. It is true many men have left The Church to form their own doctrine, come up with their own truth and start their own denominations based on THEIR truth. What has been the result of that? Christianity went from having one teaching with one authority and one doctrine to multiple teachings, multiple authorities and multiple doctrine. Confusion reigns in Christianity. Who is the author of confusion Enoch?

Did Peter lie when he wrote that some epistles are hard to understand of which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures? Peter taught that not every person that reads the bible can properly interpret it. Why do you teach opposite of Peter?

Putting your theory into practice,
that any man can read Scripture and determine his own truth from Scripture, since the Revolution of the 16th century man has come up with so many different 'truths' from one passage of Scripture! Is God confused by telling those men different things or are those men doing as Peter said: twisting it to their own destruction? Are they the wolves that entered the Church?

So who is really lying to who? Your Protestant men who have led you to believe YOU can read the bible and determine the truth (as long as you agree with their truth)? Or The Church who says that there are some men who twist Scripture to their own destruction (2 Peter 3:16) and that Christians must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it (Titus 1:9). The Church does not want YOU to be led away by diverse and strange teachings (Hebrews 13:9) but according to your teaching anyone can read the bible and teach diverse doctrines! Why do you teach opposite of Scripture?

Curious Mary

Reactions: theefaith

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jhn 16:13, Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Here, the Spirit of truth guides us into all truth apart from people in the church.

Also, we are the true church who believe in Jesus Christ for salvation.

The Catholic denomination does not have a monopoly on the truth.

We receive the Holy Spirit by placing our faith in Jesus (Galatians 3:14, Ephesians 1:13-14).

If we have the Holy Spirit He will guide us into all truth.

The Holy Spirit is not the church; although He dwells within the hearts of His people, the true church (all those who believe on Jesus Christ for salvation).
Hi JBF,

That is a fascinating interpretation of Scripture. You seem to be contradicting yourself when you say that "the Spirit of truth guides us into all truth apart from people in the church" AND "the Holy Spirit He will guide us into all truth" but you then go on to say that The Catholic Church "does not have a monopoly on the truth". If the Spirit guides us into all truth then why doesn't The Catholic Church have all truth??? If the Spirit is guiding Protestant denominations into the truth why are all their truths different??? If the Spirit is guiding "all those who believe on Jesus Christ for salvation" into the truth why are all their truths different?

Mary

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi JBF,

That is a fascinating interpretation of Scripture. You seem to be contradicting yourself when you say that "the Spirit of truth guides us into all truth apart from people in the church" AND "the Holy Spirit He will guide us into all truth" but you then go on to say that The Catholic Church "does not have a monopoly on the truth". If the Spirit guides us into all truth then why doesn't The Catholic Church have all truth??? If the Spirit is guiding Protestant denominations into the truth why are all their truths different??? If the Spirit is guiding "all those who believe on Jesus Christ for salvation" into the truth why are all their truths different?

Mary

Most Catholics have more faith in Mary than in Jesus Christ; and we receive the Holy Spirit, not through faith in Mary, but through faith in Jesus.

Those of us who place our faith in Jesus Christ alone know that we have the Holy Spirit because we have faith in Christ.

When certain false doctrines come in, they undermine faith in Christ and thus the Holy Spirit is not given to those who believe in those false doctrines.

The Catholic Church is rife with such false doctrines; so most Catholics don't have the Holy Ghost.

You asked a loaded question and I had to give a loaded answer.

Reactions: Nancy

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most Catholics have more faith in Mary than in Jesus Christ; and we receive the Holy Spirit, not through faith in Mary, but through faith in Jesus.

Those of us who place our faith in Jesus Christ alone know that we have the Holy Spirit because we have faith in Christ.

When certain false doctrines come in, they undermine faith in Christ and thus the Holy Spirit is not given to those who believe in those false doctrines.

The Catholic Church is rife with such false doctrines; so most Catholics don't have the Holy Ghost.

first Jesus came thru Mary
Mary gave the savior to the world
Mary is the mother of our salvation

what false doctrines? Why can’t be specific?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
first Jesus came thru Mary
Mary gave the savior to the world
Mary is the mother of our salvation

what false doctrines? Why can’t be specific?
To say that Mary is the mother of God is not exactly accurate to scripture.

It is true that Jesus is God; but He also has a human side: and Mary is the mother of the human side of Jesus (only) in the hypostatic union.

She is certainly not the mother of His Spirit; she is not the mother of the Father.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To say that Mary is the mother of God is not exactly accurate to scripture.

It is true that Jesus is God; but He also has a human side: and Mary is the mother of the human side of Jesus (only) in the hypostatic union.

She is certainly not the mother of His Spirit; she is not the mother of the Father.

mother of God Lk 1:43
I did not say mother of the divinity but mother of God as Jesus is God and Mary is his mother

no a mother is mother of the whole person not a body

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mother of God Lk 1:43
I did not say mother of the divinity but mother of God as Jesus is God and Mary is his mother

no a mother is mother of the whole person not a body
Mary was the mother of Jesus' humanity. God was the Father of Jesus' Deity.

In His Deity He is the Father (Isaiah 9:6, John 4:23-24, John 14:7-11).

Mary is not the mother of the Father.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary was the mother of Jesus' humanity. God was the Father of Jesus' Deity.

In His Deity He is the Father (Isaiah 9:6, John 4:23-24, John 14:7-11).

Mary is not the mother of the Father.

can you read I did not say mother of divinity or the father or the spirit but mother of Christ who is God mother of God
Mother of our savior and our salvation
You did not respond to scripture Lk 1:43 mother of God

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, that is a flat out lie. Most Catholics DON'T have more faith in Mary than in Jesus so a correction on your part would be appreciated. Any Catholic that practices what YOU believe is true is not in compliance with Church teaching!

Keeping it real...Mary

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why do you teach opposite of Scripture?
How can a study of the Scriptures be OPPOSITE to Scripture?
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth [Scripture]. (2 Tim 2:15)

Scripture interprets Scripture, so rightly dividing or interpreting Scripture is possible with the Holy Spirit as the Divine Teacher, and the believer as the one who carefully and diligently studies the Word of God. Now we come to Timothy, who represents all believers:

When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also... And that from a child thou hast known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Tim 1:5; 3:15-17)

Who taught Lois and Eunice so that they would teach Timothy from his childhood the Holy Scriptures? The Catholic Church was established around 400 AD, so who taught all the saints before that time? Do you see the fallacy of claiming that the Catholic Church has the sole authority to teach Scripture?

And when you examine the errors in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, you have to ask yourself who will teach those Catholic clerics the truth so that the CCC may be revised to properly present Gospel Truth and Bible Truth?

Even Pope Francis has no clue about some fundamentals of the faith. In Fratelli Tutti, Pope Francis makes this very erroneous statement, which is in opposition to Scripture: "...I have felt particularly encouraged by the Grand Imam Ahmad Al-Tayyeb, with whom I met in Abu Dhabi, where we declared that “God has created all human beings equal in rights, duties and dignity, and has called them to live together as brothers and sisters”.

The Pope was a party to this declaration. But since only those who are in Christ can be brothers and sisters, and since Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. are NOT in Christ, how can they live together as brothers and sisters? And since only those who repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ can be in Christ, the above statement is very deceptive, misleading, and unscriptural. So who will teach Francis the truth?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Nice theory....Let's put your theory to the test:

Using Scripture alone (a Protestant teaching) show me how one determines what a false doctrine is?

Protestants disagree with each other on some doctrine but they agree with The Church on some doctrine. Which Protestant or protestant denomination gets to decide what is a "false doctrine" and The Church is wrong?

If The Church is "rife with such false doctrines" but a Protestant denomination agrees with some of those doctrines does that mean the Protestant denomination is only slightly rife with false doctrine?

Can you now see how your loaded theory is full of holes?

I see you didn't address your very clear contradictions and instead attacked The Church in your response. That is usually what one does when they realize they have put their foot in their mouth and can't defend their theory.

So let's try this again. You contradicted yourself. Are you going to at least TRY and explain your contradiction or will your response be another attack?