No Righteousness of Obeying The Ten Commandments

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nice try at that attempt to PROJECT your... thoughts onto me, but it won't work. I KNOW better because I KEEP God's Word as written, you do not!

You wrongly think you can be perfect while in this flesh, and even what you said above in red proves that very point!

Rom 3:23
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
KJV

Might want to read that above by Apostle Paul again; it means we ALWAYS come short of the glory of God! To think otherwise is the very following of the OCCULT LIARS who are antichrists!

Here is that verse in context, " But now apart from the law the righteousness of God (although it is attested by the law and the prophets) has been disclosed— namely, the righteousness of God through the faithfulness of Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. But they are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus."

One of the problems with the KJV is chopping up Scripture into standalone verses, leading to serious misinterpretation (as you have clearly shown).

Stop condemning those who disagree with you, calling them "occult liars" and "antiChrists", when you can't even interpret the Bible properly.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Aside from abysmal English, your reply has nothing to do with my post: there is nothing here (or anywhere in the Bible) that says that Jesus (the Son) gave the ten commandments.

Try using a spell checker!

If you mean those words then there is no words that say that, but just as there is no word ' trinity ' in the bible the trinity can be deduced from scripture so it is deduced that it was Jesus, who as God gave the ten commandments.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Note: “Mormons” believe that salvation comes through faith. Following Christ’s laws is done out of love, as He said “If you love me, keep my commandments “.

-Written by an actual “Mormon”.

Yes with the proviso of ' after they have done everything'

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes with the proviso of ' after they have done everything'
Context is critical. It's poor study to develop one's own theology on a single verse outside of context, and just dumb to criticize another's beliefs based one verse out of context.

Looking at the context, section posted below and full chapter link here (2 Nephi 25), you'll see that the writer whom was living ~600 BC was talking about the importance of Christ (preaching, believing, reconciling, rejoicing, etc) while still keeping the Law of Moses for the time even knowing that it was a dead law that will eventually be taken away. For a person to try to look at this and say "Mormons believe that you have to work to be saved" is nonsense. Let alone adding in every other teaching about grace in the Bible and other teachings.

LDS Christians (nicknamed "Mormons") believe that salvation is through faith in Christ. You don't earn your way to Heaven by yourself-- that's a laughably absurdity. True saving faith is also a fully transformation of giving your heart/might/mind/soul to Him, the old you dying, and the re-born you striving to follow Him because He said "if you love me, keep my commandments".

Section Context--
23 For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.
24 And, notwithstanding we believe in Christ, we keep the law of Moses, and look forward with steadfastness unto Christ, until the law shall be fulfilled.
25 For, for this end was the law given; wherefore the law hath become dead unto us, and we are made alive in Christ because of our faith; yet we keep the law because of the commandments.
26 And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.
27 Wherefore, we speak concerning the law that our children may know the deadness of the law; and they, by knowing the deadness of the law, may look forward unto that life which is in Christ, and know for what end the law was given. And after the law is fulfilled in Christ, that they need not harden their hearts against him when the law ought to be done away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you mean those words then there is no words that say that, but just as there is no word ' trinity ' in the bible the trinity can be deduced from scripture so it is deduced that it was Jesus, who as God gave the ten commandments.

Scripture clearly says that God gave the ten commandments (and the entire Mosaic law). Exodus 20:1-2, "God spoke all these words: “I, the Lord, am your God, who brought you from the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery."

It is contrary to Scripture to say that Jesus, as God, gave the ten commandments. Clearly you don't understand the principle of eisegesis.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Context is critical. It's poor study to develop one's own theology on a single verse outside of context, and just dumb to criticize another's beliefs based one verse out of context.

Looking at the context, section posted below and full chapter link here (2 Nephi 25), you'll see that the writer whom was living ~600 BC was talking about the importance of Christ (preaching, believing, reconciling, rejoicing, etc) while still keeping the Law of Moses for the time even knowing that it was a dead law that will eventually be taken away. For a person to try to look at this and say "Mormons believe that you have to work to be saved" is nonsense. Let alone adding in every other teaching about grace in the Bible and other teachings.

LDS Christians (nicknamed "Mormons") believe that salvation is through faith in Christ. You don't earn your way to Heaven by yourself-- that's a laughably absurdity. True saving faith is also a fully transformation of giving your heart/might/mind/soul to Him, the old you dying, and the re-born you striving to follow Him because He said "if you love me, keep my commandments".

Section Context--
23 For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.
24 And, notwithstanding we believe in Christ, we keep the law of Moses, and look forward with steadfastness unto Christ, until the law shall be fulfilled.
25 For, for this end was the law given; wherefore the law hath become dead unto us, and we are made alive in Christ because of our faith; yet we keep the law because of the commandments.
26 And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.
27 Wherefore, we speak concerning the law that our children may know the deadness of the law; and they, by knowing the deadness of the law, may look forward unto that life which is in Christ, and know for what end the law was given. And after the law is fulfilled in Christ, that they need not harden their hearts against him when the law ought to be done away.

You have stated something that everyone should read and understand: Context is critical. It's poor study to develop one's own theology on a single verse outside of context, and just dumb to criticize another's beliefs based one verse out of context.

People should understand the principles of exegesis and eisegesis: The terms “exegesis” and “eisegesis” refer to how you read the Bible. At the most basic level, exegesis relies on the original context of a biblical passage to determine that passage's meaning, while eisegesis uses things other than the original context of a biblical passage to determine that passage's meaning.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Section Context--

As your own people write:-
  1. “One of the most fallacious doctrines originated by Satan and propounded by man is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation,” (Miracle of Forgiveness, by Spencer W. Kimball, p. 206).
  2. Jesus’ sacrifice was not able to cleanse us from all our sins, (murder and repeated adultery are exceptions), (Journal of Discourses, vol. 3, 1856, p. 247).
    1. Good works are necessary for salvation (Articles of Faith, p. 92).
    2. There is no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith as a prophet of God (Doctrines of Salvation, vol. 1, p. 188).

3. From these quotes of mormon writtings it is clear that mormons are not saved soley through faith in Jesus.

Last edited:

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Scripture clearly says that God gave the ten commandments (and the entire Mosaic law). Exodus 20:1-2, "God spoke all these words: “I, the Lord, am your God, who brought you from the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery."

It is contrary to Scripture to say that Jesus, as God, gave the ten commandments. Clearly you don't understand the principle of eisegesis.
So you are saying that Jesus is not God.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As your own people write:-
  1. “One of the most fallacious doctrines originated by Satan and propounded by man is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation,” (Miracle of Forgiveness, by Spencer W. Kimball, p. 206).
  2. Jesus’ sacrifice was not able to cleanse us from all our sins, (murder and repeated adultery are exceptions), (Journal of Discourses, vol. 3, 1856, p. 247).
    1. Good works are necessary for salvation (Articles of Faith, p. 92).
    2. There is no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith as a prophet of God (Doctrines of Salvation, vol. 1, p. 188).

3. From these quotes of mormon writtings it is clear that mormons are not saved soley through faith in Jesus.
Im noticing how you went from mis-quoting scriptures out of context, ignored my explanation, and now are now mis-quote non-scriptures out of context. Or rather, you're quoting somebody else doing the mis-quoting, you yourself didn’t read these books.

Best practices for study: do research yourself, not following men / 3rd persons sites. Men will fail you. Study, think, and pray for yourself.

For and example let's talk context for the first quote, from "Miracle of Forgiveness". Now, salvation comes through faith, that's a fact. But what's being decried here in context is the fallacy known to Protestants "cheap grace". That a person call shallowly say 'yeah I believe in Christ' and then continue the exact same sinful life they had before-- no change of heart, no fruit, no repentance, etc. LDS Christians do not believe this is saving faith. Do you believe in cheap grace @Windmillcharge ?

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you are saying that Jesus is not God.

Nice try! Do you try to win arguments by distorting what others say? You falsely claim that Jesus, not God, gave the ten commandments. I corrected you. Then you spin that to say that I said Jesus is not God?

Here is what I wrote, verbatim: Scripture clearly says that God gave the ten commandments (and the entire Mosaic law). Exodus 20:1-2, "God spoke all these words: “I, the Lord, am your God, who brought you from the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery."

What is your problem?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is contrary to Scripture to say that Jesus, as God, gave the ten commandments

God is Spirit so it is perfectly reasonable to asume that where God is shown as acting that it is Jesus who did the acting.
Genesis says God created, yet the new testament says it was Jesus who created.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is Spirit so it is perfectly reasonable to asume that where God is shown as acting that it is Jesus who did the acting.
Genesis says God created, yet the new testament says it was Jesus who created.

This doesn't mean that Jesus gave the ten commandments (or any of the OT law). I believe what the Bible clearly says, not your interpretation.

Exodus 20:1, "God spoke all these words" Nothing could be plainer than these five words.