No Righteousness of Obeying The Ten Commandments

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have what is often termed ‘’the legalistic law’’ and the ‘’moral law’’ given at Sania. The legalistic laws were written in Leviticus.

Then you have what is known as the moral law/ten commandments.

In Jesus day, the Pharisees could faultlessly obey the legalistic law, they cleaned the outside of the cup. Paul himself said of his life as a Pharisee, that he faultlessly obeyed the legalistic law (Phil3:6 NIV 1984 edition) Therefore, when Paul relentlessly insisted you could have no righteousness of obeying the law, it had to be because of the moral law. He wrote:

For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness 2Cor3:6-9

Paul is speaking in the above of the law engraved in stone, which was of course the Ten Commandments/the moral law. Paul explains himself in Romans:

So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For when we were in the realm of the flesh,a]">[a] the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. 6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code. Rom7:4-6

When Paul speaks of dying to the law, he means dying to righteousness of obeying the law(Christ is the end of the law unto righteousness for everyone who believeth Rom10:4) Then he makes a statement that when we were in our flesh, sinfull passions were aroused in us by the law. But by dying to what once bound us we are released from the law and serve in the new way of the Spirit, not the written code.

So which law is Paul referring to in the above? Well it cannot be the legalistic law, for he stated he could perfectly obey it, so sinfull passions were not aroused in him by that law. He now continues on, giving an explanation as to why he had to die to righteousness of obeying the law/works of the law. He had a lot of commandments to choose from, however:

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived(or sin consciousness sprang to life), and I died.

10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. Verses7-11

So, before Saul the Pharisee made his commitment to God at the age of 13 I believe for a young Jewish lad, he felt alive, for there was no condemnation from the law, he would I am sure have been a normal healthy kid. But then as a young teenager he made that commitment, and knew he must obey the law. He must have been raised strictly for he became an ardent Pharisee. Before him stood the law, and the pinnacle of it was the ten commandments. These commands must be obeyed if he was to attain to Heaven and avoid hell.

So, knowing what those laws demanded he is faced with ‘’thou shalt not covet’’ Thou shalt not desire what is not yours to desire, though shalt not lust, thou shalt not have impure thoughts. Now imagine, what would happen if a young teenager was petrified of breaking the ten commandments as this could send them to hell? They must not lust, they must not have impure thoughts. Probably be afraid of them coming. It won’t be long before they are going to end up consummed by what they are afraid of, that’s human nature where the inside is concerned. I mean, if I said God would send you to hell if you thought of a pink rabbit, what is the first thought that would come into your head if you believed me? Thus, through the commandment thou shalt not covet all manner of concupiscence was aroused in Saul and he started to die/feel condemned. He wasn’t feeling so alive now. The commandment that was ordained to life, if he obeyed it, instead brought death/condemnation for he could not keep it. Hence verse 5 explained. Sinfull passions are aoused in us by the law if we live under it. NOT the legalistic law, for you could live under that and perfectly obey it, but rather the moral law

Of course, that only happened to Saul because he feared condemnation by breaking the law, so what happens if you remove the condemnation?

For sin/.breaking the law shall no longer be your master, for you are not under law/righteousness of obeying the law but under grace/righteousness of faith in Christ Romans 6:14
Hence Paul's core message was:
Die to righteousness of obeying the law and sin shall not be your master. And Paul could testify to the truth of it

You know Steve, although Christians are released from the law, we are still under obligation to observe 9 of those 10. Thankfully we were released from the sabbath.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You know Steve, although Christians are released from the law, we are still under obligation to observe 9 of those 10. Thankfully we were released from the sabbath.

We are not to be under the law of Moses....basically Judaism. Paul didn't want the way of God in Christ to be caught up with Judaism...seeing that Judaism is what men can do in their own strength whereas the way of Christ is about being empowered to walk as Jesus walked.

Paul didn't want to downgrade Christianity to the level of Judaism.

Many misunderstand Paul to believe that God doesn't want us to FULFILL His commandments. If we are walking as Jesus walked (in His power) then the law will SHOW the world that we are fully obedient to it.

Jesus came to fulfill the law (of God) and those who are IN Christ also fulfill the law, as He did.

So we are released form having to follow Judaism...in order to fulfill the law of God PERFECTLY by putting on Christ.

That is according to the high calling in Christ to His saints. Of course, most believers will never walk at that level. We are called to be humble, contrite in heart, and fear the Lord. That is enough for the righteous...since the righteous are also saved, but scarcely so (1 Pet. 4:18). Only the saints have an abundant salvation. (2 Pet. 1)

There is another aspect to being "under the law" that is based on the POWER we are living by. All who live by their own strength are under the law...the law of sin and death. This is akin to being pulled down by the power of gravity. Being under grace in this regard means there is another law...the law of the Spirit...overcoming the law of sin the way the law of flight overcomes the law of gravity. Being in Christ is like entering into an airplane that gives us the ability to fly as long as we remain INSIDE the plane. When we exit the plane we become flightless like any other human. Likewise when we enter INTO Christ we rise above the power of sin by the power of the Spirit. Then we can walk without sin just as Jesus did. :)

This is the essence of the gospel in its full resolution.

Reactions: Azim and Jim B

stephen64

May 23, 2022
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When Paul references "the Law" he is referencing more than just the Ten Commandments. He means to include the full panoply of Jewish offerings, dietary restrictions, purification rituals and other do's (like circumcision) and don't's (like sharing a table with Gentiles) found in the Pentateuch and elsewhere. And whether to abandon compliance with such directives vel non was a burning issue in the early Church (as shown by the Council of Jerusalem described in Acts). But I don't believe that Paul's letters, anywhere, state that the Ten Commandments "are the letter that kills," nor do I see where he has counseled his audience not to comply with any of the Ten. What verse were you thinking of?
The ten commandments were the only law engraved in stone:
He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness!
2Cor3:6-9
It isn't a case of telling an audience not to comply, but rather, they cannot be righteous before God by obeying the law. The legalistic law could be perfectly obeyed, it was the moral law that could not be.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Will someone who perfectly keeps the Law be deemed righteous by God?

Paul said that he kept the law perfectly, "Blameless in the Law".... and he said that doing this to try to be accepted by God is : DUNG. Trash.

Philippians 3

Its because you are trying to promote your self effort (commandment and law keeping, and trying to be like Christ), to God as if this is EQUAL to Christ's Holiness.
So, = dung.

Your works, are of no value as compared to the Cross of Christ.
They are only of value regarding your discipleship, however Salvation is not discipleship.
Salvation is Christ on the CROSS dying....died, and your discipleship is what you do, because God has given you the end result of the finished work of Christ on the Cross. = "The GIFT of Salvation".

This means, you dont try to be saved or stay saved, but you give your life to God because you ARE SAVED.... if you are born again, and not just water baptized and deceived into thinking that water or a wafer and juice is your Salvation.

stephen64

May 23, 2022
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:

16 “This is the covenant I will make with them
after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
and I will write them on their minds.

17 Then he adds:

Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more.
Heb10:15-17

Under the old covenant it was an external law engraven in stone and written on parchments. An external law does not necessarily mean you in your heart want to obey it does it? But under the new covenant the law has been transferred from an external law, to an internal law written in believers minds and placed on their hearts. Think of what that means in a practical sense. You must know the basics of how God wants you to live instinctively in your mind, for you must know in your mind what has been placed there. And you in your heart want to live as God desires you to live, for the law is now in your heart. Because, and only because that supernatural event has taken place in your life:
Your sins and lawless deeds will be remembered no more, for: Christ is the end of the law unto righteousness for everyone who believeth rom10:4

Now here's a very important thing. Many say, if you remove righteousness of obeying the law completely, you give people a licence to sin. Not so, for the law is now in a believers heart. If anyone could say ''because I have no righteousness before God of obeying the law I can live however I like and sin as much as I like''' they have not been born again, for the law is not in their heart and mind
Notice the order of things. Firstly, the law is written in believers minds and placed on their hearts, then it is added Their sins and lawless deeds I will remember no more

stephen64

May 23, 2022
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Paul said that he kept the law perfectly, "Blameless in the Law".... and he said that doing this to try to be accepted by God is : DUNG. Trash.
To be precise, Saul the Pharisee faultlessly obeyed the legalistic law, but not the moral law

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I view it sightly differently. I read Paul, particularly in Galatians 3, as agreeing that if one keeps the Law perfectly righteousness is the result, but as saying “Don’t choose to play by those Rules, you foolish Galatians; for once you sign up for that, you’ll almost certainly fail to end up with the required perfect score – and thanks to Calvary, there is now an easier way, so why take the chance?”

Reactions: Jim B

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be precise, Saul the Pharisee faultlessly obeyed the legalistic law, but not the moral law
And Paul, the converted Christian, obeyed all the 10 Commandments.

"... thou (Paul) thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law."
Acts 21:24

Do you know what the Biblical definition of sin is, Stephen?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Jesus said of these commandment and law worshiping religious fakirs.... that "you are of your father the devil".

There are plenty of them around today.
And He said that about them because they taught the 10 Commandments, but didn't faithfully keep them.

Matthew showed us Jesus telling His disciples, "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat (teach the 10 Commandments): All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works (do not do as they do): for they say, and do not (they do not practice what they preach)."
Matthew 23:2-3

Jesus obeyed all the 10 Commandments.
John 15:10

Here, he is telling His disciples to obey the 10 Commandments as well, but He is also telling them that the teachers of the Commandments do not obey them as they teach others to do. And that is why they are of the devil, NOT because they obey them.

Where else do we see this taught by Jesus? In Matthew 5:19 Jesus tells us that those who obey the Commandments, and teach others to do so, are called greatest in the Kingdom; while those who do not obey the Commandments and, by their example (workers of iniquity), teach others not to obey are called least in the Kingdom.

All the way back to 1 Kings 12:31 we see that the Priests are the lowliest of society in God's eyes because they do not keep the Commandments. Just as Jesus called them hypocrites seven times in Matt. 23 alone, as well as serpents and vipers destined for hell, He blamed these people for the deaths of all the prophets and saints that were murdered, as well as His own crucifixion.
Matthew 23:13-15, 23, 25, 27, 29, 33

It was these Commandment-breakers that Jesus said were of their father the devil. It was those who broke God's Law that Jesus deemed destined for hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wynona

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Likewise when we enter INTO Christ we rise above the power of sin by the power of the Spirit. Then we can walk without sin just as Jesus did.
Yes, exactly.

When the Spirit comes to live within us, it enables/empowers us to obey the full 10 Commandments.
John 14:21-23

Many are confused about the Law and what it is, exactly. The ceremonial/sacrificial law is referred to as the ordinances. Hebrews 9:10 These were only meant to be in effect until "the time of reformation" - the time of Christ. These were external concerns; food and drink washings and preparations for sacrifice, etc. Jesus, being the perfect sacrifice, did away with any need for these ever again.

The 10 Commandments, sometimes called the Moral Law, are an internal concern. They have never been repealed and Jesus' disciples continued to follow all of them after His death on the Cross. They, of all people in history, would've known for certain if these were to be done away with. And this is proven by 1 John 3:4, John 15:10 & 1 John 2:6 among many others.

(3 min. video)

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will someone who perfectly keeps the Law be deemed righteous by God?
Righteousness actually means obeying the Commandments.

The Commandments are God's prescription for how to be right in God's eyes. Being right in God's eyes is righteousness.

"...all Your Commandments are righteousness."
Psalms 119:172

"... God’s definition of righteousness is very specific. What is right and good is defined by His law.

Simply put: Righteousness equals God’s law.

It should be no surprise that the opposite of righteousness is sin, which is the breaking of God’s law (1 John 3:4). God’s character is righteousness and that character is defined by His law. Sin is unrighteousness (1 John 5:17) because it transgresses His law.

God’s righteousness is based on the principle of love. Jesus Christ defined the spiritual intent of God’s law in one overarching principle—love. This great principle has two central elements: love toward God and love toward fellow man (Luke 10:27). Love, then, is the central characteristic of God (1 John 4:8) and is defined through His law. Therefore, in order for a person to grow in love and be more like God, he or she must keep the law of God (2 John 1:6).

The apostle Paul expanded on the greatness of God’s law by describing it as “holy and just and good” and “spiritual” (Romans 7:12, 14). Understanding the depth of God’s righteousness as revealed through His law is a lifetime pursuit.

Another passage to study that shows the greatness of God’s law is Psalms 19:7-11."
https://lifehopeandtruth.com/bible/blog/righteousness-defined-by-gods-law/

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Righteousness actually means obeying the Commandments.

The Commandments are God's prescription for how to be right in God's eyes. Being right in God's eyes is righteousness.

"...all Your Commandments are righteousness."
Psalms 119:172

"... God’s definition of righteousness is very specific. What is right and good is defined by His law.

Simply put: Righteousness equals God’s law.

It should be no surprise that the opposite of righteousness is sin, which is the breaking of God’s law (1 John 3:4). God’s character is righteousness and that character is defined by His law. Sin is unrighteousness (1 John 5:17) because it transgresses His law.

God’s righteousness is based on the principle of love. Jesus Christ defined the spiritual intent of God’s law in one overarching principle—love. This great principle has two central elements: love toward God and love toward fellow man (Luke 10:27). Love, then, is the central characteristic of God (1 John 4:8) and is defined through His law. Therefore, in order for a person to grow in love and be more like God, he or she must keep the law of God (2 John 1:6).

The apostle Paul expanded on the greatness of God’s law by describing it as “holy and just and good” and “spiritual” (Romans 7:12, 14). Understanding the depth of God’s righteousness as revealed through His law is a lifetime pursuit.

Another passage to study that shows the greatness of God’s law is Psalm 19:7-11
."
https://lifehopeandtruth.com/bible/blog/righteousness-defined-by-gods-law/

If you are unsaved it is impossible to keep the law perfectly. If you are saved you are in Christ, who never broke the law. Therefore you are judged innocent and are "right" in God's eyes. Nothing more needs to be said.

Reactions: stephen64

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are saved you are in Christ, who never broke the law. Therefore you are judged innocent and are "right" in God's eyes.
Can you then continue to wilfully sin (break the Commandments) and remain "right" in God's eyes?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is self-contradictory. Christians are released from the law. Therefore we are not under any obligation to keep any of them. You're either under the law or under grace (in Christ). You can't be both.