No unity ever

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
So you make a case on a mistranslated word.
I hope that isn't your normal modus operandi.
i would argue that that is just a more obvious one, but the point is that a mistranslation is now deemed "Word," and that there are many, many less obvious ones? I mean thats your normal mo?

But fwiw yes, a single mistranslation would do anyway, that is my normal mo where Word is concerned anyway, yes

Reactions: amadeus

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes it would lol

I think this is one issue. Why are we here?

1 to fellowship with like believers? That’s hard in a multi denominational chat room

2 to study Gods word? This is hard unless we are open to all things. Including the fact we may be wrong

3. To defend our beliefs? This is what causes most of the division because we can’t hear what the other person is saying we just hear an attack on our faith

4 to share our beliefs and be open to others to study and learn gods word with the knowledge we may learn something which may even go against what we have always believed. And also that not everyone will agree with us in every topic but we should not judge them because they do not come to our view but embrace them as brothers and sisters This is about the only form of discussion which will not be decisive or confrontational. At least in my view

sadly we have too many who come for the 1st three reasons. And then wonder why there can seemingly be no unity

Well... I am as guilty as anyone for fighting to defend my faith... Up until 3 months ago... I would not have even really known what a Christian Forum was... Back in early April... after feeling rather alone... I decided to join one such forum... I joined on April 9th... and "unjoined" some time in the middle of June... I left because I could not handle the arrogance of a select few.

I have only been here for a little over a week... and already 100 posts... ( BIG MOUTH or what ?? LOL )... What I have learned is how to listen a bit better... I have learned to "set and respect" my boundaries... ( this means I respect that there are certain topics I am UNABLE to discuss rationally)... I have four of them... Catholicism... Calvinism.. Word of Faith Movement/Prosperity Doctrine... and the loss of salvation.
Those topics drive me crazy... and so for my own sanity and peace of mind... I simply do not engage in ANY sort of discussion... these are topics that I try NOT to think about at all to be honest... as so much of my life has been affected by these things in a most negative way.

Because of this RULE... I am able to be PRESENT and neutral in most other topics that are important... I am able to LISTEN to what others have to say... and I am learning things I would NOT normally be open to learning...

I have listened to sermons from preachers who were well known members of Calvinism... and these were some of the best sermons I have ever heard... but I am not a Calvinist... and I loathe their doctrine... I never thought I would see the day that I would be able to humble myself and just LISTEN... but somehow... because I laid down my SWORD... the time came where I was able to listen to sound doctrine. These few sermons have forever changed the way I see things... and now I am a bit more open to listening a little more..

I have thought about topics that I once would never have thought about... but because of "LISTENING" to the viewpoint of another... I was challenged to look at what I was believing... and I changed my mind... not completely... but enough to do a bit more study...

WE all see through dimly lit glass... ALL of us... There is not one of us who knows the ENTIRE TRUTH of Who God is. I do think we are meant to
learn from each other ... however we have to take the time to be HONEST about what our ISSUES are... We all have those tender topics... knowing them... admitting that we have them... and avoiding them will at least allow for some growth on other fronts... That is my humble opinion.

I believe it is a CHALLENGE to put our swords down and come together with a heart to share... listen and hopefully learn... but it is POSSIBLE...I have experienced it.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well... I am as guilty as anyone for fighting to defend my faith... Up until 3 months ago... I would not have even really known what a Christian Forum was... Back in early April... after feeling rather alone... I decided to join one such forum... I joined on April 9th... and "unjoined" some time in the middle of June... I left because I could not handle the arrogance of a select few.

I have only been here for a little over a week... and already 100 posts... ( BIG MOUTH or what ?? LOL )... What I have learned is how to listen a bit better... I have learned to "set and respect" my boundaries... ( this means I respect that there are certain topics I am UNABLE to discuss rationally)... I have four of them... Catholicism... Calvinism.. Word of Faith Movement/Prosperity Doctrine... and the loss of salvation.
Those topics drive me crazy... and so for my own sanity and peace of mind... I simply do not engage in ANY sort of discussion... these are topics that I try NOT to think about at all to be honest... as so much of my life has been affected by these things in a most negative way.

Because of this RULE... I am able to be PRESENT and neutral in most other topics that are important... I am able to LISTEN to what others have to say... and I am learning things I would NOT normally be open to learning...

I have listened to sermons from preachers who were well known members of Calvinism... and these were some of the best sermons I have ever heard... but I am not a Calvinist... and I loathe their doctrine... I never thought I would see the day that I would be able to humble myself and just LISTEN... but somehow... because I laid down my SWORD... the time came where I was able to listen to sound doctrine. These few sermons have forever changed the way I see things... and now I am a bit more open to listening a little more..

I have thought about topics that I once would never have thought about... but because of "LISTENING" to the viewpoint of another... I was challenged to look at what I was believing... and I changed my mind... not completely... but enough to do a bit more study...

WE all see through dimly lit glass... ALL of us... There is not one of us who knows the ENTIRE TRUTH of Who God is. I do think we are meant to
learn from each other ... however we have to take the time to be HONEST about what our ISSUES are... We all have those tender topics... knowing them... admitting that we have them... and avoiding them will at least allow for some growth on other fronts... That is my humble opinion.

I believe it is a CHALLENGE to put our swords down and come together with a heart to share... listen and hopefully learn... but it is POSSIBLE...I have experienced it.

Hello @Adoration !
Good post. And, these forums can teach us if we remain teachable...just cannot believe EVERYTHING someone say's...I don't like that some will not include you as a true Christian unless you believe exactly as they say. Yikes! This place has made me think, be challenged to re- look into something and yes, my beliefs have come to a place where I feel His peace, and there ain't nothing like that! Lol
Ah yes, the Calvinists...my favorite (not so much) I attended a Calvinistic Church for 3 years so...I know their doctrine pretty well and I find their salvific doctrine steals hope, joy and peace with God. I too have gotten many good teachings from , Pink, Piper, MacArthur but...I will never believe that horrid doctrine they have come up with.
God bless you sister...and yes, it is possible...as my mom always used to say "if you have nothing nice to say about someone, say nothing"...she was quite the peacekeeper in our home
xo

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello @Adoration !
Good post. And, these forums can teach us if we remain teachable...just cannot believe EVERYTHING someone say's...I don't like that some will not include you as a true Christian unless you believe exactly as they say. Yikes! This place has made me think, be challenged to re- look into something and yes, my beliefs have come to a place where I feel His peace, and there ain't nothing like that! Lol
Ah yes, the Calvinists...my favorite (not so much) I attended a Calvinistic Church for 3 years so...I know their doctrine pretty well and I find their salvific doctrine steals hope, joy and peace with God. I too have gotten many good teachings from , Pink, Piper, MacArthur but...I will never believe that horrid doctrine they have come up with.
God bless you sister...and yes, it is possible...as my mom always used to say "if you have nothing nice to say about someone, say nothing"...she was quite the peacekeeper in our home
xo

Never heard of Pink... and never listened to Piper... but I am familiar with John MacArthur... he is on our Christian radio... The sermons I have listened to were from Carter Conlon and David Wilkinson... I absolutely enjoy listening to Carter.. he moves me with his passion... and those I listened to from David were the sharing of some of his prophesies... those moved me also... especially at this time with all the chaos happening.

I won't ever change my mind about the doctrine... I agree with your assessment... but I am glad that I was able to set my stubborn feelings aside and at least listen... It was to my benefit that I did.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never heard of Pink... and never listened to Piper... but I am familiar with John MacArthur... he is on our Christian radio... The sermons I have listened to were from Carter Conlon and David Wilkinson... I absolutely enjoy listening to Carter.. he moves me with his passion... and those I listened to from David were the sharing of some of his prophesies... those moved me also... especially at this time with all the chaos happening.

I won't ever change my mind about the doctrine... I agree with your assessment... but I am glad that I was able to set my stubborn feelings aside and at least listen... It was to my benefit that I did.

"It was to my benefit that I did." <--- That's a biggie! You are not stiff-necked and you are open to new things as am I. So, if we all remain humble and teachable (I don't care how "long" one might have been a Christian, we will NEVER stop learning new things)
Have you ever known a new Christian who grew in leaps and bounds while the one who has been sitting in a pew for 40 years has not grown an inch? Or, at least as far as their behavior and fruits (or lack of) are concerned... :)

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i would argue that that is just a more obvious one, but the point is that a mistranslation is now deemed "Word," and that there are many, many less obvious ones? I mean thats your normal mo?

But fwiw yes, a single mistranslation would do anyway, that is my normal mo where Word is concerned anyway, yes
Are we speaking of translations or the original languages when referencing 'The Word'? Translations are not inspired, only the words they translate.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I hear ya. Sadly one of mine is age if the earth and end times prophecy. While these two are my favorite subject I can not stay in them long because of how hateful they Can quickly become, Calvinism and Catholicism is the same. Love to discuss certain things but they too can get out of hand because you have a few that are so out to defend themselves they can’t hear anyone. Which hurts it also for other who are in their belief systems who are not that way and just love to discuss Gods word. I think all groups have their extreme “defenders”. That it hurts it for the rest of us

that’s why i said if they is why people are here. There will be no unity with them no matter what Christian faith they hold

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Adoration !
xo
Growing up a hard core baptist and being led to believe they were the only ones that had it right. It took years to break me. In fact I became a prodigal child when my marriage failed figuring I had no hope I could Not live Up to the rigorous standard they said. So I must never have been saved because if I was I would Not suffer With many of the sins I struggled with and would never get a divorce.

Being part of a few Christian chat rooms did humble me. And I found a church which helped when I returned to
My father. And it is easier now to discuss. I still Get frustrated though on some things. lol

Reactions: Rita and Nancy

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I hear ya. Sadly one of mine is age if the earth and end times prophecy. While these two are my favorite subject I can not stay in them long because of how hateful they Can quickly become, Calvinism and Catholicism is the same. Love to discuss certain things but they too can get out of hand because you have a few that are so out to defend themselves they can’t hear anyone. Which hurts it also for other who are in their belief systems who are not that way and just love to discuss Gods word. I think all groups have their extreme “defenders”. That it hurts it for the rest of us

that’s why i said if they is why people are here. There will be no unity with them no matter what Christian faith they hold

This has for the most part been a thought provoking thread... I do believe the original post was stating the opinion that we should be dropping the labels we carry with the name of our denominations and just discuss as CHRISTIANS...earlier in this thread... I made the comment about a Catholic... a Calvinist and a Pentecostal all working a shift at a soup kitchen... for their shift ... they will have been in perfect UNITY serving the poor on behalf of CHRIST. Maybe in WRITTEN form... it cannot be done... when we discuss our beliefs.. it separates us... but when we LIVE our FAITH... we are UNITED.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Growing up a hard core baptist and being led to believe they were the only ones that had it right. It took years to break me. In fact I became a prodigal child when my marriage failed figuring I had no hope I could Not live Up to the rigorous standard they said. So I must never have been saved because if I was I would Not suffer With many of the sins I struggled with and would never get a divorce.

Being part of a few Christian chat rooms did humble me. And I found a church which helped when I returned to
My father. And it is easier now to discuss. I still Get frustrated though on some things. lol

"So I must never have been saved because if I was I would Not suffer With many of the sins I struggled with and would never get a divorce."

Have they not read Job...? And, BTW-I too can get frustrated...sometimes too easily and, over very small things...but! I'm getting better everyday.

I am happy you found a Church home, local body that fits you... :D

Reactions: 2 Chr. 34:19

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In actual fact, the book is very accurate in its portrayal of the new testament community. Until you have read it you cannot comment on it. All you can do is guess and as solid truth is not based on guesses, I guess you are without credibility on that one.

And having spent a lot of time studying this very subject using all sorts of sources and writers plus the Greek, I have found it agrees with what the book portrays. As it says, out of the mouths of many witnesses. I am very fortunate I am not rusted onto denominational dictates so I can see the wood from the trees.

Not fortunate but your to be pitied, your in a denomination of one as your own authority nd there is no way that book is close to accurate it has a built in bias nor is the author old enough to have lived back than. The tue sources whom did live back than absolutely disagree with you as I have demonstrated

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This has for the most part been a thought provoking thread... I do believe the original post was stating the opinion that we should be dropping the labels we carry with the name of our denominations and just discuss as CHRISTIANS...earlier in this thread.

No I wasn't, nor would I want that at all. There is no such thing as just as Christians. Our beliefs define us, inform us, make us who we are and we should never give that up. My premise is we are not unified and we don't all believe the same and should not pretend to just to be as Christians. We can be civil enough heated but never united until we share similar beliefs

Reactions: Nancy

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Hi, think We met before :) I’m new here

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"It was to my benefit that I did." <--- That's a biggie! You are not stiff-necked and you are open to new things as am I. So, if we all remain humble and teachable (I don't care how "long" one might have been a Christian, we will NEVER stop learning new things)
Have you ever known a new Christian who grew in leaps and bounds while the one who has been sitting in a pew for 40 years has not grown an inch? Or, at least as far as their behavior and fruits (or lack of) are concerned... :)
The reason, I believe, that this happens with some pew warmers is because they have been taught/learned to quench the Holy Spirit of God. Just because, while speaking from a pulpit, a person says a certain thing, that does not assure us that that is what God says. People like it to be always quiet and comfortable... but, it really is not always quiet and comfortable and believing that it is will cause people to miss out with God.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjrhealth and Nancy

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not fortunate but your to be pitied, your in a denomination of one as your own authority nd there is no way that book is close to accurate it has a built in bias nor is the author old enough to have lived back than. The tue sources whom did live back than absolutely disagree with you as I have demonstrated
So, you have read the book then?

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
lol
Are we speaking of translations or the original languages when referencing 'The Word'? Translations are not inspired, only the words they translate.
well i would tend to agree, even if i wouldnt put it that definitively

a translation cant be inspired?

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and Nancy
Status
Not open for further replies.