Not drinking

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is always a good reminder to check where our hearts are as believers.

It seems that there will be times, a person in their life maybe even a believer sometimes in life wonder where God is sometimes.

Reading the Gospels helps remind us how we as humans can be, and if we learn from what the Lord Jesus Christ shows us, and teaches us how to behave by the spirit in which we receive from God, on behalf of Christ Yeshua, allowing us to become born again.

And learning and growing in the knowledge and will of God, and continue in prayer and continue to look inside of your heart and see if there is anything that leads to hate, jealously, greed, (Mark 7) - from our heart comes our thoughts.

It it us up to believers if they are going to listen and turn and go to God in prayer, and ask for help with problems, praying for others, praying in thanksgiving, get some time to go and read some of the bible and learn about God, and the Lord Jesus.

The only solution it seems to be able to understand that you are loved, that you are cared about, that you are not going to be forsaken, and that God is always there for you to help you in your time and needs when it comes down to all the ups and downs of the flesh, ~ by giving up on ourselves and picking up our cross and relying on the Lord - ~ by the spirit in the ability then to have the Lord Jesus Christ through us help to be able to have forgiveness, mercy, kindness, gentleness, patience, forbearance, in whom we also have peace with God through faith because of the Lord. ~ Loving God, Love Others

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haha! I better get ready for the day myself. I've been on too long this morning. :D:D it was nice talking to you all! love you guys thanks for the cheer up laughter and smiles

Well I don't know what I did but I'm sure glad that I did it lol and love you too Ducky. :D (I probably didn't do anything, I'm just messing around. :p)

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's code for my sweet bunches of nutty bloats!
I have these! They are generic but they're good!

Think back to a time when you "needed" a drink. What was happening then? What were you feeling? When you are ready, bring it out to the surface and examine it dispassionately. I've heard that if you deal with the original trigger issue, the issue that you want to keep buried, your cravings will go away.

At least that is what I have heard. I'm proud that you didn't take a drink. I'm cheering for you.

I'm trying to remember. I don't think I can remember because it has been a long time. I know I initially started during a time of abuse as a way to just not have to be present in reality. That was a prior relationship and it was incredibly violent. (That's what got me into witchcraft, too, I started practicing things as a form of escapism so I wouldn't have to "be there.")

At that time, I was convinced that I KNEW there legitimately someone out there specifically for me to take me out of it at some point and married someone against God's commandments (unequally yoked) and it wasn't worse but it wasn't good, obviously, and started trying to not "be there" again.

Luckily I'm not feeling the drinking urge anymore. I don't actually like alcohol. Anything that makes me feel like I'm not in total control of my own mind and then get sick makes me shudder.

Actually, I honestly don't think I know what it means to process something and go through it. Because if I do examine it, then what? I know it is important but I don't know what to do with it. So it just sits on the back burner so every once in a while I come by and poke at it with a big stick and think "there's absolutely nothing I can do about that" and then leave it alone.

Thank you I'm feeling a lot better about it now. I remember how much i actually hate it.

Reactions: Mayflower

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have these! They are generic but they're good!

I'm trying to remember. I don't think I can remember because it has been a long time. I know I initially started during a time of abuse as a way to just not have to be present in reality. That was a prior relationship and it was incredibly violent. (That's what got me into witchcraft, too, I started practicing things as a form of escapism so I wouldn't have to "be there.")

At that time, I was convinced that I KNEW there legitimately someone out there specifically for me to take me out of it at some point and married someone against God's commandments (unequally yoked) and it wasn't worse but it wasn't good, obviously, and started trying to not "be there" again.

Luckily I'm not feeling the drinking urge anymore. I don't actually like alcohol. Anything that makes me feel like I'm not in total control of my own mind and then get sick makes me shudder.

Actually, I honestly don't think I know what it means to process something and go through it. Because if I do examine it, then what? I know it is important but I don't know what to do with it. So it just sits on the back burner so every once in a while I come by and poke at it with a big stick and think "there's absolutely nothing I can do about that" and then leave it alone.

Thank you I'm feeling a lot better about it now. I remember how much i actually hate it.
I'm so glad to hear that you are better. And I know how much courage it takes to face things and report your experiences to friends and fellow believers.

I felt the same way when I tried pot with my friends. It only took me one time to know that I preferred reality. I love my friends and why would I want to be in the same room but not actually "be" with them?

I don't drink anymore because after my heart event, I decided to give up drinking altogether. I simply liked certain drinks with food. For example, I love margarita's with Mexican food and I love pizza and beer together. Anyway, one day, I was having a very hard, emotional day, and I wanted a drink. My son says to me, "Dad, the day you 'need' a drink is the day you are vulnerable to being hooked." You will get through this without it. He was right. Sometimes emotions are so intense, I think I am going to die, but I never do. Eventually the pain goes away and I get through it. "Be still and know . . ." is what the Bible says. Being still is so hard. Isn't it?

Let me share something personal. Many years ago I began to have a pain in my hand. It was constantly there and it never went away. Sometimes the pain would keep me awake at night. Zoe, she has street smarts, told me that my hand was speaking for my subconscious. I was trying to stuff feelings down deep where I wouldn't feel them any more. But my hand was saying, "deal with this!" Eventually, with Zoe's help after talking about things for many hours, I suddenly realized what was bothering me. It had something to do with someone at work who was causing me to doubt myself and spreading lies about me. I finally decided what must be done.

Some people say, "that person makes me feel . . ." such-and-such. Whatever it is. This isn't exactly true. I own my own feelings and I don't need to feel bad when people hurt me. Rather than feeling hurt, I can feel sorry for the other person. I can pity them for their moral ineptitude. When they hurt me, I can carry the pain around like a dead weight, or I can forgive them and move on, putting that burden down.

Anyway, I'm sorry for rambling. It's good to hear from you. Thanks.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs myself. Not that I'm wild about "chocolate" so much anymore, but I would like the free crucifix kazoo that comes in every box of "Christ Krispies."

christ-krispies-snap-crackle-pray.jpg
:eek::D:D

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm not going to do anything.
Here is what you could do. Buy a bottle of cheap wine, find a wall somewhere against which you can smash it. Then hurl it at the wall with all your might. After that you can say to the bottle "I am done with you and your kind!" The impact of the bottle should have an impact on you.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here is what you could do. Buy a bottle of cheap wine, find a wall somewhere against which you can smash it. Then hurl it at the wall with all your might. After that you can say to the bottle "I am done with you and your kind!" The impact of the bottle should have an impact on you.

Bad advice. The damage done to the wall will have to be fixed by you and in a rented premise that could cost you a full repaint of the premises. When I gave up a 50 a day smoking habit, the worst thing I could have done was to buy another packet. I gave up in the afternoon and found that since then that I have not crave another cigarette since that afternoon over 30 years ago.

The best thing to do is to . . . . Never give up on yourself and your resolve to never buy another cheap bottle of booze again. This works best as it reinforces your decision not to drink booze again.

Shalom

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like a good idea! Would be easier for me to do now since I have a smartphone. It's easier to have mini computer in my pocket in between chores and running around.
Or maybe not in your pocket? (Thinking health wise...not a great idea. ;) )

Reactions: DuckieLady

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
yeah, plong is a problem!.....I stay away from the plong! :)

Yer, I have a spelling problem and thick fingers to boot. I fixed my dilemma by using another word. while you were quoting and replying to what i had written. Thanks for being too quick.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yer, I have a spelling problem and thick fingers to boot. I fixed my dilemma by using another word. while you were quoting and replying to what i had written. Thanks for being too quick.
What!....I liked the plong expression.....apologies not needed. :)

Reactions: Amazed@grace

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Bad advice.
Did you read my wording? "...find a wall somewhere against which you can smash it". Which means you will find a SUITABLE wall. There are plenty of those, especially in cities being devastated by rioters.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol! I don't know if I have enough rage within me!

I remember my art teacher had us break plates for some kind of project, IDK mosaic or something, and I joked that the project would be great for stress relief. She didn't find it funny. Just kind of stared with a raised brow. Learned not to make jokes like that at celtic Catholic school again. Not the funniest people on the planet.

Or maybe not in your pocket? (Thinking health wise...not a great idea. ;) )

That's true! My mom is super sketched about that stuff. Took her forever to get ANY kind of phone. (Plus she was worried about covid tracking on smartphones.) I bought her a flip phone. Now she doesn't have a choice. Lol

When I was a kid, we had to go outside to use the microwave, too.