Not faith alone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You preach the Law of Moses and don't obey the Law of Moses. How is that not HYPOCRISY?
No; for the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in me because I walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit (Romans 8:4).

I don't wear tzitztit and tallit and tefilin and neither do I blow the trumpet on the new moon; but because the love of the Lord is shed abroad in my heart (Romans 5:5), the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in me (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4).

In Romans 7:6, I believe that you will find that we are no longer bound to the letter but rather are obedient to the spirit of what is written.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It remains that those who do not have faith, Christ did not die for them.

He did die for them; but they did not appropriate His death unto the forgiveness of their sins.

So it is as though He didn't die for them.

Now I'm starting to sound like Sleepy Joe...
That is error. Those Christ died for shall be made righteous by Christ one obedience Rom 5:19. and they shall live by faith

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No; for the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in me because I walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit (Romans 8:4).

I don't wear tzitztit and tallit and tefilin and neither do I blow the trumpet on the new moon; but because the love of the Lord is shed abroad in my heart (Romans 5:5), the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in me (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4).

In Romans 7:6, I believe that you will find that we are no longer bound to the letter but rather are obedient to the spirit of what is written.
You preach the Law of Moses, that you don't obey, to Gentiles who were NEVER under the Law of Moses? How is that not HYPOCRISY?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I actually "liked" that post a while ago when I read it before. I still do.

What I would mention is that you are a female, correct? So, you treat your daughter as a mother would.

I, being a male, have more understanding of how a father would treat his child, even though I do not yet have any children.

Fathers can be harsher than mothers any given day of the week. Mothers, being nurturing, can be more lenient than fathers.

That's all I have to say about it for now.

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I actually liked that post a while ago when I read it before. I still do.

What I would mention is that you are a female, correct? So, you treat your daughter as a mother would.

I, being a male, have more understanding of how a father would treat his child, even though I do not yet have any children.

Fathers can be harsher than mothers any given day of the week. Mothers, being nurturing, can be more lenient than fathers.

That's all I have to say about it for now.
I had a harsh step-father who abused me in many ways....never knew my biological father....so I never understood God as my Father....I actually feared Him like I did my stepfather....I just didn't know a Father's love until that day.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will say to the unbeliever that if he seeks to be justified by the law, he is required to keep all of it (Galatians 3:10, James 2:10, Matthew 5:48) from conception into eternity.

But if you are justified by Christ, you are not under the law (Romans 6:14), are dead to the law (Romans 7:4, Galatians 2:19) and are delivered from the law (Romans 7:6).

If you are born again, the law is written on your heart and in your mind (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6; Romans 5:5).

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had a harsh step-father who abused me in many ways....never knew my biological father....so I never understood God as my Father....I actually feared Him like I did my stepfather....I just didn't know a Father's love until that day.
My stepfather may have actually been my biological father; he treated me with good disciplining practices and I respected him; until we had a falling out when I was 18.

The one who said he was my biological father never spanked me; and I believe now because of that, that he didn't love me. My stepfather never spanked me either; but he roughhoused with me and toughened me up so I would become a man later.

I believe fathers will at times treat their children with harshness; but it is only because they love them. That may also have been true of your stepfather.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith is the result of Christ obedience Rom 5 19
That isn't what that verse says.

Rom 5:19, For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Where is faith mentioned in that verse (as a result of Christ's obedience)?

You are reading into the text what isn't there.

That's called eisegesis.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just curious.....If I am a Believer and accidentally hit my thumb with a hammer and let out a terrible curse word and die suddenly of a heart attack before I have a chance to repent of my Sin.....do I go to Hell?

This question is for “ justbyfaith” to answer.....thanking you in advance, BB...

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just curious.....If I am a Believer and accidentally hit my thumb with a hammer and let out a terrible curse word and die suddenly of a heart attack before I have a chance to repent of my Sin.....do I go to Hell?

This question is for “ justbyfaith” to answer.....thanking you in advance, BB...
I will give one biblical perspective and allow you to present the opposite if it exists in holy scripture.

Eze 33:11, Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
Eze 33:12, Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.
Eze 33:13, When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it.
Eze 33:14, Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right;
Eze 33:15, If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.
Eze 33:16, None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him: he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live.
Eze 33:17, Yet the children of thy people say, The way of the Lord is not equal: but as for them, their way is not equal.
Eze 33:18, When the righteous turneth from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, he shall even die thereby.
Eze 33:19, But if the wicked turn from his wickedness, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall live thereby.
Eze 33:20, Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. O ye house of Israel, I will judge you every one after his ways.

This scripture passage appears to give a singular answer to your question, @Blood Bought 1953, and I will let the reader interpret this scripture for himself.

Now I know that there may even be an opposite answer that is substantiated by holy scripture; but I will leave it up to you to present that opposing viewpoint; understanding that the following scripture is true:

Pro 27:17, Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To @kcnalp,

Do you believe that your being a Gentile means that you will not be judged by God, since you think that being a Gentile means you are not under the law?

Being a Christian (the born again type) means that you will not come under condemnation (John 5:24 (kjv))...

Being a Gentile does not do that for you...it does not mean you are a Christian.

Jesus did not die for every Gentile and no Jew.

He died for both Jew and Gentile alike who would place their faith and trust in Him and what He did for them on the Cross.

Oct 30, 2020
Marksville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is certainly a difference between actually being sinless and in declaring oneself to be sinless. Often the problem with a person declaring his own sinlessness is that if he had actually been there, he then moves into the sin again with his prideful announcement of having moved away from it.

Sometimes God may want a person to make such a declaration, but usually, I believe, He does not. That He wants us all to be without sin and that He has provided the means for a person to attain it should not be a subject of argument between believers, but... like perhaps a few other things it most certainly is...

Help us dear Lord!
If one person says I have never sin and probably has never really sin "much" just means that person speaking thru his conscious. I feel that way sometimes. And I believe people can feel pure thru their conscious and still sin I believe. We are all still a work in progress, remember? but I wouldn't talk like that like the bible says "never boast about tomorrow cause you don't know what a day may bring" just like a sin can happen at any moment in time thereafter saying you don't sin. Cause that's like breaking the "whole" law too. Saying you are sinless yet sin the next hour. We are all sinners. To think you are sinless is to have the wrong mindset or a conflict in ones conscience somewhere.
That's the same like the law. The law works thru a person conscious when they try to obey it. Like I said I don't believe we can escape the law because like I said before the law is always at work whether under it or not. To say you not under any laws mean you don't have to listen to God, you can do whatever you want and still get away with it thru forgiveness and you can't say only faith matters because faith means believing and if someone says I won't murdef or steal or do a certain crime because I believe in Jesus yet say he is not under any law is an error and contradictory statement because that is like still keeping the laws in your heart declaring at the same time you not under any law. You can't say I'm not a murderer so I won't kill her yet say the law don't matter. Because we are all sinners born with the capability of sinning in life. Even murder. We all have sin in our hearts. Remember the heart is deceitful among all things, the bible says who can understand it? And I think it's bogus that Jesus can forgive you for something that killed him on the cross. That's like a murderer wanting to ask his victim for forgiveness but can't because the person already dead. You say Jesus shed his blood for us on the cross. If that is so..that's some bad blood that needs purification. And you can't purify crimes that have been done with, you can only punish a crime. God can't purify a murder that killed another human being because even though that person gets forgiven..he still took a life away. I guess that's why Jesus suffered on the cross and I guess Jesus really don't care about dying on a cross for people's sins or a law that killed him. And bore our sins and diseases. I never heard a murderer goes to heaven either. Even the book of John teaches that a murderer has no place in heaven. And besides I also believe anyone under the holy spirit would be willing to and is capable to obey the laws. Since one of the fruits of the spirit is self-control.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus
Oct 30, 2020
Marksville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Jennifera198337,

It should not escape your notice as an avid Bible student that we are not justified through law-keeping (Romans 3:20, Galatians 2:16) .

However, it is also true, to cut to the chase, that if we walk after the Spirit and not after the flesh, the righteousness of the law shall be fulfilled in us (Romans 8:4).

Our salvation (our receiving of the Holy Spirit) comes solely through our faith in Jesus Christ (Galatians 3:14, Ephesians 1:13-14).

We then have the love of the Lord shed abroad in our hearts (Romans 5:5); which love is not impractical (1 John 3:17-18); and which love is the fulfilling of the law (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4).

My point being that we do not want to put the cart before the horse.

We do not obtain righteousness through keeping the law (Romans 9:30-10:4).

It is not by seeking to obey a set of do's and don'ts that we obtain this righteousness.

We obtain it by believing in Jesus, receiving the Spirit through that faith (Galatians 3:14); and then because we have the Spirit we bear the fruit of the Spirit; against which there is no law (Galatians 5:22-23).

Thus, we have a righteousness of God apart from the law (Romans 3:21) that is nevertheless attested to by the law and the prophets (Romans 3:21) that it is righteousness indeed.
So say there is no law but just love. Do you believe in love on earth? Is love real nowadays? What is true love? What does it mean for you? We cant obtain righteousness thru fake love. Because righteousness means doing what's right. And righteousness has nothing to do with the law. Righteousness is obedience and wanting to be right with God in your heart. And If you are willing of that, you are in a good place. We obey God because we love him. We don't obey God to be righteous. The bible says no one is righteous and a faithful man who can find? Either you in or out because the law never disappears..it's always at work whether under it or not lol and that something people need to learn to know..and people who have love in their hearts for God are still under the law thru their conscious. You know why? Because like I said when we love God we would be willing to please him and be like him. If Jesus is sinless then we should try to be like him too. Even God said it..no man can see me unless they are holy. If you know God's character, you must know that the law is important to him since he laid it there in the bible
If the law don't matter, neither do the old testament. So why not just make a new testament bible and throw out the old one since the law don't matter anymore. Why read something that don't matter for crying out loud! I really wonder why people say the law don't matter a lot though. Is it because people like to live their sinful lifestyle or what?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020
Marksville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I already know we obtain it thru love ..but it's not love. It's the holy spirit we feel thru God. Love inspires. Love helps one grow and change. Even the bible says perfect love cast out fear because fear has to do with punishment. We can't love God or people perfectly if we aren't loved ourselves. People usually love perfectly and change in love because they are loved and being loved already. And that's the culprit in the world cause not many people are loved. Only selfish and hypocrites.
Remember we love God because he first loved us. We didn't choose him
He chose us . So it's whether or not someone choose to love someone or not. And unconditional love chooses all things. That's why it's called unconditional love. We love because we choose to love. Love should have no price tag. Cause it's free.
Love is free. We can learn to love anything or anyone if it's unconditional but only God loves perfectly.

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 2:8-9 (NKJV)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
Amen! John 6:29 is simply a play on words by Jesus when he said, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent," when He answered the Jews (who were taking a legalistic approach) when they asked, "What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?" So Jesus was not saying that believing is just "another work" in a series of works in a quest to obtain salvation by works, which would be in contradiction to Ephesians 2:8,9 - saved by grace through faith, not works.