Not faith alone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are all sinners.

Yes, @Jennifera198337, we are all sinners; in the sense that we have indwelling sin.

We are not sinners, however (if we are born of God), in the sense that we do not any longer commit sins as a general practice (1 John 3:9, 1 John 3:6, 1 John 2:17).

The element of sin, while not eradicated from us (1 John 1:8), is rendered dead within us (Romans 6:6, Galatians 5:24, Romans 7:8) so that it no longer has any say over our behaviour (Romans 6:14).

To say you not under any laws mean you don't have to listen to God, you can do whatever you want and still get away with it

Paul wrote about this. He said that where sin abounded, grace superabounded. In response to the faulty logic of an unbeliever as they might respond to that statement, he then teaches, What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we who have died to sin live any longer therein?

Fact of the matter is, as believers, we are not under the law (Romans 6:14) and because of this sin shall not have dominion over us. Also, we are dead to the law (Romans 7:4, Galatians 2:19) and delivered from the law (Romans 7:6).

However, the law is also written in our hearts and on our minds (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 13:8-10; Romans 5:5).

thru forgiveness and you can't say only faith matters because faith means believing and if someone says I won't murdef or steal or do a certain crime because I believe in Jesus yet say he is not under any law is an error

We are not justified through the law or by looking to obey a set of do's and don'ts. We are justified through faith in Jesus. Through that faith, we are made born again; and the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts through the Holy Ghost (Romans 5:5). This love is practical (1 John 3:17-18) and is the fulfilling of the righteousness of the law within us (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4). We don't violate any law; because we are born again and therefore we bear the fruit of the Spirit, against which there is no law (Galatians 5:22-23).

This is a righteousness apart from the law (Romans 3:21);; which is nevertheless attested to by the law and the prophets (Romans 3:21) that it is righteousness indeed.

because that is like still keeping the laws in your heart declaring at the same time you not under any law.

Yes; through the blood of Jesus Christ we are forgiven of past, present, and future sins: therefore our relationship to the law has changed. What motivates us to holiness is no longer a fear of condemnation for having violated a law of the Lord, but the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Most certainly a fear of condemnation can be a valid factor in someone's obedience. I am coming to a new understanding of the fear of the LORD through Ezekiel 33:11-20 in recent days.

But should you blow it (for that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak), there is grace extended to you from the righteous right hand of the Lord.

You can't say I'm not a murderer so I won't kill her yet say the law don't matter.

The law does matter. It is written in our hearts and on our minds (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6). However, it no longer has the power to condemn us as believers (Romans 6:14, Romans 7:4, Galatians 2:19, Romans 7:6, Ephesians 2:15-16, Colossians 2:14, Hebrews 7:18-19). Now isn't that good news?

Because we are all sinners born with the capability of sinning in life. Even murder. We all have sin in our hearts.

The sin that is in our hearts is superseded by the love of the Holy Ghost which is shed abroad in our hearts (Romans 5:5), as believers in Christ.

Remember the heart is deceitful among all things, the bible says who can understand it?

That is Jeremiah 17:9; a verse that is qualified by Ezekiel 36:25-27 and Luke 8:15 + Romans 15:14.

You say Jesus shed his blood for us on the cross. If that is so..that's some bad blood that needs purification.

You don't believe that the blood of Jesus is sinless?

God can't purify a murder that killed another human being because even though that person gets forgiven..he still took a life away.

Was Moses forgiven? King David?

Both killed other people within their lifetimes.

I never heard a murderer goes to heaven either. Even the book of John teaches that a murderer has no place in heaven.

It teaches that

1Jo 3:15, Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

If someone goes headlong into the grave hating his brother, he will not find on his day of judgment that he has eternal life.

But if a murderer repents and gives his heart to Christ, the love of the Lord is subsequently shed abroad in his heart; and he is no longer a murderer...all of that hatred is washed away. Thus he finds himself with eternal life.

Eze 33:11, Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
Eze 33:12, Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.
Eze 33:13, When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it.
Eze 33:14, Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right;
Eze 33:15, If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.
Eze 33:16, None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him: he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live.
Eze 33:17, Yet the children of thy people say, The way of the Lord is not equal: but as for them, their way is not equal.
Eze 33:18, When the righteous turneth from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, he shall even die thereby.
Eze 33:19, But if the wicked turn from his wickedness, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall live thereby.
Eze 33:20, Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. O ye house of Israel, I will judge you every one after his ways.

This scripture is true not only of murder but of every sin across the board.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one person says I have never sin and probably has never really sin "much" just means that person speaking thru his conscious. I feel that way sometimes. And I believe people can feel pure thru their conscious and still sin I believe. We are all still a work in progress, remember? but I wouldn't talk like that like the bible says "never boast about tomorrow cause you don't know what a day may bring" just like a sin can happen at any moment in time thereafter saying you don't sin. Cause that's like breaking the "whole" law too. Saying you are sinless yet sin the next hour. We are all sinners. To think you are sinless is to have the wrong mindset or a conflict in ones conscience somewhere.
That's the same like the law. The law works thru a person conscious when they try to obey it. Like I said I don't believe we can escape the law because like I said before the law is always at work whether under it or not. To say you not under any laws mean you don't have to listen to God, you can do whatever you want and still get away with it thru forgiveness and you can't say only faith matters because faith means believing and if someone says I won't murdef or steal or do a certain crime because I believe in Jesus yet say he is not under any law is an error and contradictory statement because that is like still keeping the laws in your heart declaring at the same time you not under any law. You can't say I'm not a murderer so I won't kill her yet say the law don't matter. Because we are all sinners born with the capability of sinning in life. Even murder. We all have sin in our hearts. Remember the heart is deceitful among all things, the bible says who can understand it? And I think it's bogus that Jesus can forgive you for something that killed him on the cross. That's like a murderer wanting to ask his victim for forgiveness but can't because the person already dead. You say Jesus shed his blood for us on the cross. If that is so..that's some bad blood that needs purification. And you can't purify crimes that have been done with, you can only punish a crime. God can't purify a murder that killed another human being because even though that person gets forgiven..he still took a life away. I guess that's why Jesus suffered on the cross and I guess Jesus really don't care about dying on a cross for people's sins or a law that killed him. And bore our sins and diseases. I never heard a murderer goes to heaven either. Even the book of John teaches that a murderer has no place in heaven. And besides I also believe anyone under the holy spirit would be willing to and is capable to obey the laws. Since one of the fruits of the spirit is self-control.
Thank you for your kind response. We serve a God is able. We, however, are flawed. God gave us an option back in the beginning and our first carnal parents took it. They knew what God said and were able to obey but did not. Now... all of His of spring have been born bound by this:

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps" Jerem 10:23

But as God gave them a choice at the beginning and they chose the wrong way, He gave us the dead children an opportunity for Life by leaning n Him, by choosing Him to be the One who directs our steps. Jesus was sent to make this a real possibility for anyone who would... Alone we are lost and will sin indeed. Jesus gave carnal men some impossible things to do... but God provided all that was needed for anyone to do... but only through Him is it possible. A couple are read here:

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matt 5:48

"... And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." John 8:11-12

Impossible but...

"And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:26-27

And the how...

"To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:" Col 1:27

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible says no one is righteous and a faithful man who can find?

In Romans 3:10-18, it should be clear that verse 9 tells us that that is speaking of Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; but that the church of God is exempted from this (see 1 Corinthians 10:32, compare to Romans 3:9). Also, Romans 3:10-18 is speaking of those who are under the law (Jew and Gentile alike)...see Romans 3:19. And Romans 6:14 tells us that as believers in Christ, we are not under the law but under grace...and that because of this, sin shall not have dominion over us.

Therefore, the statement in Romans 3:10-18, that there is no one righteous, now only applies to unbelieving Jews and Gentiles...

In the New Testament people are made righteous through faith in Christ (Romans 5:19, Matthew 5:6, 1 John 3:7).

So why not just make a new testament bible and throw out the old one since the law don't matter anymore. Why read something that don't matter for crying out loud!

The law does matter, even if we are no longer under it; because unbelieving Jews and Gentiles are under it; and God has given it as a schoolmaster to lead them to Christ (Galatians 3:24, Romans 3:20, Psalms 19:7 (kjv)).

I really wonder why people say the law don't matter a lot though.

The law does matter...it just doesn't condemn us any longer if we are born again.

I believe Jesus will save me thru grace so what? You have to be holy to get in heaven.

Right....true grace makes us holy.

The bible only has ten commandments.

Actually, there are about 613 in the OT alone.

There's more then one way to be saved thru Jesus Christ.

Would you please elaborate on what you think about this?

The just shall live by faith. The obedience of Christ made them just or righteous Rom 5 19

They appropriate that righteousness by faith, not the other way around (they don't receive faith because they are righteous).

Faith doesn't mean I believe in Jesus so I can keep sinning cause Jesus will forgive me cause I'm saved by grace. Grace is not an excuse to sin anytime you want just because it's grace. That would be careless acts. Are you saying Jesus died for nothing? Did Jesus die in vain?

Hebrews 10:26-31 may be of interest to you. We do not sin willfully if we are born again of the Holy Spirit. But if we blow it unintentionally (because the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak), grace will be extended to us.

Jesus definitely died in order to sanctify us (Hebrews 13:12, Hebrews 10:29) and to cleanse us from all sin (1 John 1:7); even all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9); and to redeem us from all iniquity (Titus 2:14).

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who believe they don't sin are only fooling themselves.

Luke 11:2-4 (NKJV)
2 So He said to them, "When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven. 3 Give us day by day our daily bread. 4 And forgive us our sins, For we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us.
Even Christians sin. The question is, does the Christian notice any difference at all in their life after Christ? If not, that person has to consider if they are truly in the faith or not, whoever that may be. No change means just that.......no change. The person who is unchanged is not saved.

Reactions: justbyfaith

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I preach the New Covenant in Jesus' Blood.
You mean the New Covenant that upholds the law?

Romans 3:31
31Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

If that's what you call 'preaching the law', then Paul preached the law.

The way this works is when you walk according to the Spirit you do not violate the law of Moses. So you can use the law to learn what walking according to the Spirit looks like. Here's an example.....

Leviticus 19:11-18
11“ ‘Do not steal.

“ ‘Do not lie.

“ ‘Do not deceive one another.

12“ ‘Do not swear falsely by my name and so profane the name of your God. I am the Lord.

13“ ‘Do not defraud or rob your neighbor.

“ ‘Do not hold back the wages of a hired worker overnight.

14“ ‘Do not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but fear your God. I am the Lord.

15“ ‘Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly.

16“ ‘Do not go about spreading slander among your people.

“ ‘Do not do anything that endangers your neighbor’s life. I am the Lord.

17“ ‘Do not hate a fellow Israelite in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in their guilt.

18“ ‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.

This helps you discern what kinds of things the Spirit of God is going to be leading you into.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Romans 3:10-18, it should be clear that verse 9 tells us that that is speaking of Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; but that the church of God is exempted from this (see 1 Corinthians 10:32, compare to Romans 3:9). Also, Romans 3:10-18 is speaking of those who are under the law (Jew and Gentile alike)...see Romans 3:19. And Romans 6:14 tells us that as believers in Christ, we are not under the law but under grace...and that because of this, sin shall not have dominion over us.

Therefore, the statement in Romans 3:10-18, that there is no one righteous, now only applies to unbelieving Jews and Gentiles...

In the New Testament people are made righteous through faith in Christ (Romans 5:19, Matthew 5:6, 1 John 3:7).

The law does matter, even if we are no longer under it; because unbelieving Jews and Gentiles are under it; and God has given it as a schoolmaster to lead them to Christ (Galatians 3:24, Romans 3:20, Psalms 19:7 (kjv)).

The law does matter...it just doesn't condemn us any longer if we are born again.

They appropriate that righteousness by faith, not the other way around (they don't receive faith because they are righteous).

Hebrews 10:26-31 may be of interest to you. We do not sin willfully if we are born again of the Holy Spirit. But if we blow it unintentionally (because the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak), grace will be extended to us.

Jesus definitely died in order to sanctify us (Hebrews 13:12, Hebrews 10:29) and to cleanse us from all sin (1 John 1:7); even all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9); and to redeem us from all iniquity (Titus 2:14).
Those Christ made righteous will be given faith, that is part of Him making them righteous. Rom 5:19

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is false. They are made righteous by the obedience of one which is Christ Rom 5:19
It is not false.

They appropriate the righteousness of the Lord through faith.

Rom 5:1, Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Rom 5:2, By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are made righteous by the obedience of one which is Christ Rom 5:19
There is a sense in which this is actually true.

Christ initiated salvation for us in dying on the Cross.

When this gospel is preached, faith is instilled in the heart of the listener and through that faith they become righteous; and through confession they are saved.

Rom 10:10, For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

It is true in that faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17).

So, Christ's obedience is indeed the beginning of what makes us righteous....which does not change the fact that we mut place our faith in Him to be justified (made righteous).

Oct 30, 2020
Marksville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Those 613 are for the isrealites only I believe. So only the ten commandments matter. Moses gave us ten on the mountain.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those 613 are for the isrealites only I believe. So only the ten commandments matter. Moses gave us ten on the mountain.
You will be called great in the kingdom if you do and teach the least of the commandments (Matthew 5:17-20). I believe that this refers to those also outside of the ten that were written on the stone tables.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 4th commandment (sabbath day law) is also said to be only for Israel.

I believe that it does apply to us as believers though (with stipulations given by Christ Himself).

Mark 2:27-28, Matthew 12:12.

Oct 30, 2020
Marksville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those Christ made righteous will be given faith, that is part of Him making them righteous. Rom 5:19
Righteousness is obedience. We are disciplined when we fall off the wagon knowingly being in Christ now. Jesus covers us in his righteousness after we are accepted and become believers. He protects us now. That's why we need the armour of God and stuff. There is no condemnation for those in Christ remember. When we become saved we are under the Lord's protection thereafter. He don't forgive us unless we repent. You can't be forgiven of something unless you repent first. He more like discipline us when we fail to put and keep us on the right path again. We are covered in his blood being in his body hence body of Christ. He said he would not forsake or cast out anyone especially his own. He said the father gave him everything. No one can snatch us out of his hand period.