Not Your Word, But God's Word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In God's Old Testament prophet Amos, He warned that the day would come when there would be a famine of hearing the words of The LORD. The prophecy has certain endtime events tied to it...

Amos 8:9-12
9 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day:

10 And I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; and I will bring up sackcloth upon all loins, and baldness upon every head; and I will make it as the mourning of an only son, and the end thereof as a bitter day.

11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:

12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.
KJV

Do we have examples of this today? YES! definitely. How?

From the examples of pop Christianity preachers out there in the pulpits, they preach more of their own word, instead of preaching on God's Word line upon line, chapter by chapter.

It's not difficult to find many preachers today that will quote a single verse from The Bible, and then go on a one hour tangent about things totally... outside the context of the verse quoted!

The result is you have a lack of hearing the Word of The LORD, just like the Amos prophecy says. They're really not preaching God's Word, they're preaching their own... word. And the prettier they make it sound, the more the Biblically illiterate brethren are deceived.

Not only that, but those listening to those men preach their own thing, others see it and think that's ... the way you do it. No, it's not how you preach The Word of God. Then how?

In Isaiah 28, God showed us how to study His Word, line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little. That is how the teacher of God's Word should cover it to His people, so they know what GOD says, and not what man says.

Even for the evangelist preaching The Gospel of Jesus Christ to those who have yet to hear it, I guarantee the non-believer will be swayed to believe on Jesus more by hearing... the actual Word of God in The Four Gospels than a one hour of preaching on a single verse using eloquent speech.

Reactions: Truman

Oseas

Dec 22, 2019
Joinville
Faith
Christian
Country
Brazil
In God's Old Testament prophet Amos, He warned that the day would come when there would be a famine of hearing the words of The LORD. The prophecy has certain endtime events tied to it...

9 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day:

10 And I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; and I will bring up sackcloth upon all loins, and baldness upon every head; and I will make it as the mourning of an only son, and the end thereof as a bitter day.

11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:

12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.
KJV

From the examples of pop Christianity preachers out there in the pulpits, they preach more of their own word, instead of preaching on God's Word line upon line, chapter by chapter.

It's not difficult to find many preachers today that will quote a single verse from The Bible, and then go on a one hour tangent about things totally... outside the context of the verse quoted!

The result is you have a lack of hearing the Word of The LORD, just like the Amos prophecy says. They're really not preaching God's Word, they're preaching their own... word. And the prettier they make it sound, the more the Biblically illiterate brethren are deceived.

Not only that, but those listening to those men preach their own thing, others see it and think that's ... the way you do it. No, it's not how you preach The Word of God. Then how?

In Isaiah 28, God showed us how to study His Word, line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little. That is how the teacher of God's Word should cover it to His people, so they know what GOD says, and not what man says.

Even for the evangelist preaching The Gospel of Jesus Christ to those who have yet to hear it, I guarantee the non-believer will be swayed to believe on Jesus more by hearing... the actual Word of God in The Four Gospels than a one hour of preaching on a single verse using eloquent speech.

2Timothy 4:v.1 -4

1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his APPEARING and in His kingdom;

2 Preach the Word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

1Timothy 4:1-2 and 6-11

1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

7 But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.

8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

9 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation.

10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

11 These things command and teach.

God bless

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

KJV

Some things should be defined Davy, for instance I agree the prophecy does apply to today, but we live in a time of rampant information about God, the famine is actually about understanding. Jesus said: (Mark 4:11, 12) . . .“To you the sacred secret of the Kingdom of God has been given, but to those outside all things are in illustrations, 12 so that, though looking, they may look and still not see, and though hearing, they may hear and still not get the sense of it; nor will they ever turn back and receive forgiveness.”

We live in the age of information, but people are the most religiously divided that they have ever been in history. Why? It all boils down to their heart condition as to whether they get the sense of the word. Jesus used another illustration for that called the parable of the sower.

Oseas

Dec 22, 2019
Joinville
Faith
Christian
Country
Brazil
Some things should be defined Davy, for instance I agree the prophecy does apply to today, but we live in a time of rampant information about God, the famine is actually about understanding. Jesus said: (Mark 4:11, 12) . . .“To you the sacred secret of the Kingdom of God has been given, but to those outside all things are in illustrations, 12 so that, though looking, they may look and still not see, and though hearing, they may hear and still not get the sense of it; nor will they ever turn back and receive forgiveness.”

We live in the age of information, but people are the most religiously divided that they have ever been in history. Why? It all boils down to their heart condition as to whether they get the sense of the word. Jesus used another illustration for that called the parable of the sower.

JESUS also said: Luke 18:v.8 - Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? (shall he???)

JESUS said more these things: Revelation 16:v.13-15 -
13 And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs (a satanic trinity) come out of the MOUTH of the Dragon(the Dragon cited in Revelation 13:v.11-18) , and out of the MOUTH of the Beast, and out of the MOUTH of the false prophet.

14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty. (THIS DAY ARRIVED, the LORD's DAY) 15 Behold, I come as a thief.
Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JESUS also said: Luke 18:v.8 - Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? (shall he???)

JESUS said more these things: Revelation 16:v.13-15 -
13 And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs (a satanic trinity) come out of the MOUTH of the Dragon(the Dragon cited in Revelation 13:v.11-18) , and out of the MOUTH of the Beast, and out of the MOUTH of the false prophet.

14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty. (THIS DAY ARRIVED, the LORD's DAY) 15 Behold, I come as a thief.
Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

To answer your initial question sir, yes he will. There will be an enumerable people who survive the tribulation according to Rev 7:9. What is a possible explanation for the whys of Jesus saying that?
The expression “this faith” indicates that Jesus referred, not to faith in a general sense, but to faith of a particular kind—faith like that possessed by the widow. Jesus did not answer his question. He raised it so that his disciples would think about the quality of their own faith. Was it gradually weakening, so that they were in danger of returning to the things they had left behind? Or did they have the sort of faith exemplified by the widow? Today, we should likewise ask ourselves, ‘What kind of faith does “the Son of man” find in my heart?’

As individuals we need to constantly examine ourselves to make sure we have the faith like that widow. We definitely do not want to be hypocritical.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

There are two reasons to preach.
1/ to proclaim the gospel.
2/ to instruct/inform christians.

Having said that every sermon should challenge or inform hristians an evangelistic sermon is not just an explanation of the gospel and an alter call, but should also feed those who are already saved.
Equally a sermon delevered to a church full of christians should at some point explain the gospel.

challenge your minister to do this, ask questions about why a sermon had no cotempory reference to what is happening in the world.
Tell him about the conversations you have with intelligent nonchristians and the answers, challenges they throw at you and ask why he does not deal with these in his surmons.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

see your point in the OP. The above In connection to ‘I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, not a thirst for water, but hearing the words of the LORD.’ Is that spiritualizing it? In saying a time comes where there will be a great mourning of an only son, and the end thereof a bitter day? That it is not about a famine of literal bread or literal water that lacks but a famine (starvation) (famishing) (fainting for lack thereof) for the Living God?

The above you can see it is speaking of a famine for hearing the words of The Lord, yea? You can hear ‘not a famine of bread, not a thirst for water’ in ‘they wander’ ‘they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.’ Then said Jesus unto them, Yet a little while am I with you, and then I go unto him that sent me. [34] Ye shall seek me, and shall not find me : and where I am, thither ye cannot come. [35] Then said the Jews among themselves, Whither will he go, that we shall not find him? will he go unto the dispersed among the Gentiles, and teach the Gentiles? [36] What manner of saying is this that he said, Ye shall seek me, and shall not find me : and where I am, thither ye cannot come? [37] In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. [38] He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
John 7:33-38

“The feast” “not a famine for bread, not a thirst for water” but “a famine for hearing the Words of the Lord” …what feast Then is spoke of when He stands and cries out: “if any thirst, let him come, and drink” ?
is it over spiritualizing to consider in “if any thirst” He may have been referencing “…not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:” does the words the Lord spoke to Samaritan woman by the well not show this in He said He is the Living water of Life? (I am the life, flowing, as when the woman with blood issues touched the hem of His garment? garment makes me think of the garment of praise, and being clothed by the Word of the Lord, where her issue with blood which no other physicians could heal was healed), for I Am the truth and the way, I Am the bread which comes out, from the Father. Take and eat of Me? . When He said if you had known who I Am, you would have asked Me and I would have given the Living Water unto you. Considering the Lord’s word to her when she asked “you have nothing to draw with…how can you give me this Living Water”? John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

How many times ‘if any thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink.’ Drink of whom…Drink of what “Living water” if not ‘hearing the words of the Lord’? With your above quotes of a famine will be sent upon the earth, not a famine for bread, not a thirst for water but a famine for the words of the Lord. Why then such a bitter turn when considering the Living water which came out from God is Christ? Why is it ugly to propose or even consider that the River of Life is “not a famine of bread, not a thirst for water” but a thirst after “hearing the words of the Lord”? Why then turn, flip, the River of Life into literal saying it is a literal River established in some far out future that men have to see and touch and long for to (draw) drink of, and thirst after…when He seems to say it is the words of the Lord that are established forever whereby one (in drawn of the Father to Christ) to drink and never thirst again? I’m so confused how time and time again it begins as one (a famine will be, not for bread, not for water but a famine will be on the land for hearing the words of the Lord) a darkness, a night, a bitter mourning? And ends up with a literal River of Life so far removed from Is hearing the words of the Lord. The River of Life that comes out from God and returns to God …is it The word of the Lord or not? I can’t find the verse right now but consider living by the Word that comes of from the mouth of God. In which one moves and has their being?
Ezekiel 33:30-33
  • [30] Also, thou son of man, the children of thy people still are talking against thee by the walls and in the doors of the houses, and speak one to another, every one to his brother, saying, Come, I pray you, and hear what is the word that cometh forth from the Lord. [31] And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness. [32] And, lo, thou art unto them as a very lovely song of one that hath a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument: for they hear thy words, but they do them not. [33] And when this cometh to pass, (lo, it will come,) then shall they know that a prophet hath been among them.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day:

also considering ‘I will cause the sun to go down…’ Revelation 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Oseas

Dec 22, 2019
Joinville
Faith
Christian
Country
Brazil
To answer your initial question sir, yes he will. There will be an enumerable people who survive the tribulation according to Rev 7:9. What is a possible explanation for the whys of Jesus saying that?
The expression “this faith” indicates that Jesus referred, not to faith in a general sense, but to faith of a particular kind—faith like that possessed by the widow. Jesus did not answer his question. He raised it so that his disciples would think about the quality of their own faith. Was it gradually weakening, so that they were in danger of returning to the things they had left behind? Or did they have the sort of faith exemplified by the widow? Today, we should likewise ask ourselves, ‘What kind of faith does “the Son of man” find in my heart?’

As individuals we need to constantly examine ourselves to make sure we have the faith like that widow. We definitely do not want to be hypocritical.

In his parable, JESUS highlighted the persistent faith of a widow as an example of how important perseverance in the faith is. In his Omniscience and spirit of prophecy, he left this example recorded for this generation of believers of these last days, because He already knew that exactly at this time, on the occasion of His return to rule His kingdom, even near of this wondeful event, there would be thouse who would depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils, speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron. Paul was not omniscient, but the Holy Spirit revealed to him the spiritual conditions of the Christian people in the current time.

Peter Apostle also warned the people of GOD, saying: "that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
saying, Where is the promise of His coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the Word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished-2Peter 3:v.3-6.

Furthermore, Paul also said that "the time would come when the people would not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts will they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears, and they would turn away their ears from the Truth and turned unto fables.

Without faith it is impossible to please GOD.

It's it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
also considering ‘I will cause the sun to go down…’ Revelation 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

@VictoryinJesus Great verses there; and I'm reminded of Helen Lemmel's verse, for when the believer truly looks to the Lord Jesus, '...the things of earth will grow strangely dim / In the light of His glory and grace.'

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While it's true that Amo. 8:9-12 is an end-time prophecy, it does not concern what Orthodox Christianity's ministers are teaching. It's about how the world will stop receiving the warnings that are coming from God's Church when it's time for it to be taken to a place of safety. In the process of misquoting Amo. 8:9-12, evangelicals always miss the fact that the Bible symbolically speaks of divine revelation as dew or rain(Deut. 32:2, Isa. 55:10-11, Hos. 6:3, Jas. 5:17-18) and that this particular prophecy is supposed to take place within the time frame of what happens in Amo. 7. The 2 chapters are connected because the famine comes as a result of the prophet being told to preach in the Jewish state.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are two reasons to preach.
1/ to proclaim the gospel.
2/ to instruct/inform christians.

Having said that every sermon should challenge or inform hristians an evangelistic sermon is not just an explanation of the gospel and an alter call, but should also feed those who are already saved.
Equally a sermon delevered to a church full of christians should at some point explain the gospel.

challenge your minister to do this, ask questions about why a sermon had no cotempory reference to what is happening in the world.
Tell him about the conversations you have with intelligent nonchristians and the answers, challenges they throw at you and ask why he does not deal with these in his surmons.

There's different jobs in Christ's Church, and preaching The Gospel is only one of them, which is the job of the Evangelist. Their job is not to teach Bible, but to preach The Gospel to those who have yet to hear.

The Pastor job is for 'teaching' God's Word. The word pastor comes from the idea of a green 'pasture' (as a symbol for God's Word) for the sheep to graze in (which symbolizes Christ's Church).

The Minister job is mainly for Church administration, to the sick and poor and needy.

Sadly, poor Churches try to wrap all 3 jobs into one. But mostly what they wind up doing mostly is the Evangelist job of preaching The Gospel mainly. They usually have no scholar called to teach Bible from Genesis through Revelation, which is the job of the teacher, or Pastor, to feed the sheep all of God's Word. One of the things Lord Jesus told Peter to do was to feed His sheep. And Lord Jesus said that to Peter three times, for emphasis.

A sermon is only a topical treatise on some Bible topic. It is NOT... the work of a teaching Pastor who can teach Bible from Genesis all the way through Revelation, line upon line, chapter by chapter.

A sermon is only as useful to those who have already studied all of God's Word, line upon line, chapter by chapter. The reason is because there are so many bad sermons out there with men's added traditions and doctrines because of pulling out a single verse in one Book, and a single verse out of another Book, and misinterpreted from the context where they are written.

Anyone can pull out a single verse and make it say just about anything they want. But covering a verse within the 'flow' of the Bible chapter where it is written, it's very difficult to try and make it say something different than the subject where it is written.

I mentioned this to a brother once, and he asked how could he know. I suggested he ask his Bible school teacher if they would start teaching in Genesis 1 and go all the way through. He came back and told me his Bible school teacher just laughed at him, and said something like, "You must think we have all the time in the world!" Instead how do most Church Bible schools teach? They teach from a mainstream organizational study guide, a quarterly which tells them which topics to teach and what questions to ask, which are written to follow the traditions and doctrines of that Church system.

So just because someone gets up at the Church pulpit and dresses nice, looks nice, speaks smoothly, but preaches a whole hour on a single Bible verse, and in some cases not even quoting a single Bible verse, we're supposed to call that The Word of God? No, that's proof of the Amos prophecy about a 'famine' in the last days for hearing The Word of God, looking everywhere for it, and not finding it.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
see your point in the OP. The above In connection to ‘I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, not a thirst for water, but hearing the words of the LORD.’ Is that spiritualizing it? In saying a time comes where there will be a great mourning of an only son, and the end thereof a bitter day? That it is not about a famine of literal bread or literal water that lacks but a famine (starvation) (famishing) (fainting for lack thereof) for the Living God?

My suggestion is that you stick... to what the Amos 8 Scripture says as written, and only then can you put it into your own words...

Those above signs are linked to the timing of the very just prior to Christ's return (see Matthew 24:29). That places this prophecy specifically for the last days of this world.

That is about the day of Christ's return when those who rejected Him will mourn for Him as a long lost son (see Zechariah 12 latter part). It is linked to several Scriptures about the last days.

KJV

The "famine" described above is specific that it is NOT... a famine of bread or thirst for water. It is also emphatic that it is about a spiritual famine for 'hearing' The Words of The LORD, and wandering from sea to sea, etc., and not finding it.

The above you can see it is speaking of a famine for hearing the words of The Lord, yea? You can hear ‘not a famine of bread, not a thirst for water’ in ‘they wander’ ‘they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.’ Then said Jesus unto them, Yet a little while am I with you, and then I go unto him that sent me. [34] Ye shall seek me, and shall not find me : and where I am, thither ye cannot come. [35] Then said the Jews among themselves, Whither will he go, that we shall not find him? will he go unto the dispersed among the Gentiles, and teach the Gentiles? [36] What manner of saying is this that he said, Ye shall seek me, and shall not find me : and where I am, thither ye cannot come? [37] In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. [38] He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
John 7:33-38

“The feast” “not a famine for bread, not a thirst for water” but “a famine for hearing the Words of the Lord” …what feast Then is spoke of when He stands and cries out: “if any thirst, let him come, and drink” ?
is it over spiritualizing to consider in “if any thirst” He may have been referencing “…not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:” does the words the Lord spoke to Samaritan woman by the well not show this in He said He is the Living water of Life? (I am the life, flowing, as when the woman with blood issues touched the hem of His garment? garment makes me think of the garment of praise, and being clothed by the Word of the Lord, where her issue with blood which no other physicians could heal was healed), for I Am the truth and the way, I Am the bread which comes out, from the Father. Take and eat of Me? . When He said if you had known who I Am, you would have asked Me and I would have given the Living Water unto you. Considering the Lord’s word to her when she asked “you have nothing to draw with…how can you give me this Living Water”? John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

How many times ‘if any thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink.’ Drink of whom…Drink of what “Living water” if not ‘hearing the words of the Lord’? With your above quotes of a famine will be sent upon the earth, not a famine for bread, not a thirst for water but a famine for the words of the Lord. Why then such a bitter turn when considering the Living water which came out from God is Christ? Why is it ugly to propose or even consider that the River of Life is “not a famine of bread, not a thirst for water” but a thirst after “hearing the words of the Lord”? Why then turn, flip, the River of Life into literal saying it is a literal River established in some far out future that men have to see and touch and long for to (draw) drink of, and thirst after…when He seems to say it is the words of the Lord that are established forever whereby one (in drawn of the Father to Christ) to drink and never thirst again? I’m so confused how time and time again it begins as one (a famine will be, not for bread, not for water but a famine will be on the land for hearing the words of the Lord) a darkness, a night, a bitter mourning? And ends up with a literal River of Life so far removed from Is hearing the words of the Lord. The River of Life that comes out from God and returns to God …is it The word of the Lord or not? I can’t find the verse right now but consider living by the Word that comes of from the mouth of God. In which one moves and has their being?
Ezekiel 33:30-33
  • [30] Also, thou son of man, the children of thy people still are talking against thee by the walls and in the doors of the houses, and speak one to another, every one to his brother, saying, Come, I pray you, and hear what is the word that cometh forth from the Lord. [31] And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness. [32] And, lo, thou art unto them as a very lovely song of one that hath a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument: for they hear thy words, but they do them not. [33] And when this cometh to pass, (lo, it will come,) then shall they know that a prophet hath been among them.
[/QUOTE]

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Those above verses do NOT link to the Amos 8:9-12 prophecy.

They link to these...

Isa 13:9-11
9 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and He shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.

10 For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light: the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine.
11 And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible.
KJV

Isa 29:9-14
9 Stay yourselves, and wonder; cry ye out, and cry: they are drunken, but not with wine; they stagger, but not with strong drink.
10 For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath He covered.
11 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, "Read this, I pray thee:" and he saith, "I cannot; for it is sealed:"
12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, "Read this, I pray thee:" and he saith, "I am not learned."
13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near Me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour Me, but have removed their heart far from Me, and their fear toward Me is taught by the precept of men:
14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

KJV

Matt 24:29-30
29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
KJV

Rev 8:12
12 And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise.

KJV

Joel 2:30-31
30 And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come.

KJV

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In his parable, JESUS highlighted the persistent faith of a widow as an example of how important perseverance in the faith is. In his Omniscience and spirit of prophecy, he left this example recorded for this generation of believers of these last days, because He already knew that exactly at this time, on the occasion of His return to rule His kingdom, even near of this wondeful event, there would be thouse who would depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils, speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron. Paul was not omniscient, but the Holy Spirit revealed to him the spiritual conditions of the Christian people in the current time.

Peter Apostle also warned the people of GOD, saying: "that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
saying, Where is the promise of His coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the Word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished-2Peter 3:v.3-6.

Furthermore, Paul also said that "the time would come when the people would not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts will they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears, and they would turn away their ears from the Truth and turned unto fables.

Without faith it is impossible to please GOD.

It's it.

We can definitely see the truth in these scriptures you have posted sir. Look at how many faiths having those ears tickled has evolved into. Staggering isn't it? I remember 30 yrs ago we taught that there were about 10 major religions with aprox 10k sects branched off from them, now it is estimated to have over tripled from that.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

They link to these...

so let me get this straight your thread title is “Not your word, but God’s Word” yet your word is that you can and have the freedom to link a famine of hearing the Words of the Lord to today and what is going on today…yet the verses you quoted can not and do not link to Jesus Christ standing up and crying “if any thirst let the him come, and drink?” When Revelation 19:10 says the testimony of Jesus Christ is the spirit of prophecy. “And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”

so how does His standing up crying “if any thirst, let him come, and drink” not connect to Hearing the words of the Lord? When we quote “My sheep hear My voice and they follow Me?” No other voice Will they follow? Before we say well that was to the Jews only, He also said other sheep I have, other sheep Will I bring that they be One fold. How is that verse of “thirst” not “link” as you assert “Those above verses do NOT link to the Amos 8:9-12 prophecy” when He, the testimony of Jesus Christ, IS the spirit of prophecy? So the prophecy of Amos doesn’t link to hearing the words of the Lord which always points to the testimony of Jesus Christ? As they asked bewildered “is He going to the gentiles to teach them” when He said you shall seek Me and shall not find Me ..until you say blessed is He that comes in the name of the Lord?

I’m going to break this up in the several post to address this one comment where you have ruled that you are the decider, that “if any thirst let him come, and drink” has nothing to do with a famine of hearing the words of the Lord. How it has nothing to do with “hear My voice, follow Me” Nor His saying you shall seek and not find Me …where the testimony of Jesus Christ IS the spirit of prophecy; they asked following His “if any thirst” after “Me” the words of the Lord, the testimony of Jesus Christ in “you search the scriptures thinking in them you will find Life, why do you not come to Me”? “Let him come, and drink”? No you say, “why do you not come to Me” has nothing at all to do with the Samaritan woman by the well whom He told “if you would have asked I would give you Living water”. And their Mockery in asking: is He going to the gentiles to teach them? Is His Spirit going to be poured out on all flesh? The testimony of Jesus Christ being the spirit of prophecy “lo, we turn to the gentiles” Acts 13:44-46 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God. [45] But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming. [46] Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.

famine in the verses of your OP, (right or wrong) to me sounds like there will be (or is) a starvation, a desolation, a lack for hearing the words of the Lord. “Want” “a destitution; as a famine of the word of Life” That it isn’t a famine of literal bread or water that causes one to thirst, faint, or to “wander” with no rest or that causes one to “run to and fro” to seek the Word of the Lord, and shall not find it.” But a lack of guidance from the Spirit, a lack of hearing Him, a lack of help, comfort, leading that comes from Him. Where you said this has nothing to do with seeking after Him and not finding Him, when He said a time comes when you shall seek and shall not find Me. You search and search and search ‘Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. [3] Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.’ James 4:2-3

2 Chronicles 15:2-4 And he went out to meet Asa, and said unto him, Hear ye me, Asa, and all Judah and Benjamin; The Lord is with you, while ye be with him; and if ye seek him, he will be found of you; but if ye forsake him, he will forsake you. [3] Now for a long season Israel hath been without the true God, and without a teaching priest, and without law. [4] But when they in their trouble did turn unto the Lord God of Israel, and sought him, he was found of them.

you said it doesn’t “link” yet even the famine in the days of Joseph which last sevens years and the setting aside of provisions ..even the ‘they wander’ ‘running to and fro’ perishing for lack “of knowledge of Christ’? or famine of hearing the words of the Lord…even the running to and fro Paul seems to mention often regarding the testimony of Jesus Christ, that he (Paul) ‘run not in vain’ seeing ‘our forerunner has entered in’ Philippians 2:16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

Yet it is said there is no “Link” in “the word of Life”, nor any link to “you search the scriptures thinking in them is Life, why do you not come to Me”, nor any link to Living water flows from their belly, nor any link to “if any thirst, let him come, and drink” and be satisfied, nor any link to the Living word of God, nor any link to the River of Life that proceeds out from the Throne of God, nor any link to being washed by the Word of life
J
ohn 13:8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

when looking up “famine” these verses connect or “link” Psalm 33:18-20 Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy; [19] To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine. [20] Our soul waiteth for the Lord : he is our help and our shield.
I don’t see how this does not link to the testimony of Jesus Christ, or “famine” that comes upon the land of hearing the words of the Lord. Or how it doesn’t link to hope in “God is our help and shield”

Psalm 37:19-21 They shall not be ashamed in the evil time: and in the days of famine they shall be satisfied.
I don’t see how this does not link to “they shall be satisfied” with His standing, crying “if any thirst, let him come, and drink” and the Living Water I give, you shall never thirst again…never thirst again sounds like “they shall be satisfied” for they shall not be disappointed in the Lord as Paul seems to assert in Romans 1:16-17 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. [17] For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

And here: 2 Timothy 1:7-8 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. [8] Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the Lord shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away. [21] The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again: but the righteous sheweth mercy, and giveth. (He gives Living water that satisfies where one never will thirst again, He gives peace not as the world gives, but ‘My peace I give to you’, God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind

Ezekiel 7:24-27 Wherefore I will bring the worst of the heathen, and they shall possess their houses: I will also make the pomp of the strong to cease; and their holy places shall be defiled. [25] Destruction cometh; and they shall seek peace, and there shall be none. [26] Mischief shall come upon mischief, and rumour shall be upon rumour; then shall they seek a vision of the prophet; but the law shall perish from the priest, and counsel from the ancients. [27] The king shall mourn, and the prince shall be clothed with desolation, and the hands of the people of the land shall be troubled: I will do unto them after their way, and according to their deserts will I judge them; and they shall know that I am the Lord.
Destruction cometh; and they shall seek peace, and there shall be none.” I don’t understand how you say they shall seek peace, and there shall be none” does not link to you shall seek and not find Me.

Job 19:25-29 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: [26] And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: [27] Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me. [28] But ye should say, Why persecute we him, seeing the root of the matter is found in me? [29] Be ye afraid of the sword: for wrath bringeth the punishments of the sword, that ye may know there is a judgment.

Oddly also the above from job was listed as connected to famine which makes me think of “that you may know there is a judgment”

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In God's Old Testament prophet Amos, He warned that the day would come when there would be a famine of hearing the words of The LORD. The prophecy has certain end time events tied to it...

KJV

'The entrance of Thy words giveth light;
it giveth understanding unto the simple.'

(Psa 119:130)

Hello @Davy,

Yes, it is the entrance of God's word that brings light. Yet the dearth that Amos is referring to is within the land of Israel. God is speaking through Amos, 'to My People Israel' (Amos 8:2).

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Waiting on him

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My suggestion is that you stick... to what the Amos 8 Scripture says as written, and only then can you put it into your own words...

Those above signs are linked to the timing of the very just prior to Christ's return (see Matthew 24:29). That places this prophecy specifically for the last days of this world.

That is about the day of Christ's return when those who rejected Him will mourn for Him as a long lost son (see Zechariah 12 latter part). It is linked to several Scriptures about the last days

Could say your quote “that is about the day of Christ’s return when those who rejected Him will mourn for Him as a long lost son…” links (right or wrong for me to) James 4:7-10 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. [8] Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. [9] Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. [10] Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

But I could squabble and debate with you forever and it will accomplish nothing. Your OP was on famine(I thought in your pointing to today) …to me that is a famine from not hearing the words of the Lord, where hearing and following Him is what matters. That hearing the words of the Lord is what helps from not “wandering” not running to and fro”, “not being tossed to and fro” ….the word of the Lord guiding in times of trouble. As in “led by the Spirit”. corrie ten boon comes to mind regarding times of famine yet also what strengthened them, what consoled, what comforted, what lead and guided in a dark time of trouble for them…what fed, what satisfied a thirst ….not you or I because we were not there, but who helped them. Like I don’t know your struggle or times of needing to lean on the words of the Lord, and you do not know mine. But battling over the word of the Lord does nothing but tears down maybe how He is giving aide or provision or hope to another in times of needing to hear the word of the Lord. So what matters is ones theology, where if another doesn’t doesn’t like screams “out of context”! Is God restrained to context, in the Word of God is not bound? if a word helps those in times of darkness? I can’t help but think of Corrie and what if others had been there in their darkest moments always whispering “you can’t put yourself in that verse” or “that wasn’t to you” or let’s debate instead of healing? Or that is about the destruction of Israel, not what your situation. What if the undermining of every verse of the word of the Lord robs them of comfort in sorrowful times. Is that His will? No help? Only “righteousness in our opinions” At the expense of the brokenness of others crying for help, crying to understand “why is this happening to me” “why am I going through this Lord?” Like Jobs friends there is always one quick to sit by in our lowest point and pick apart any help or aide or guidance with their opinions. It is almost like if anyone is strengthened in Him, hopeful in Him, comforted in Him that is not the point but instead the point is “proper application” or “handling” “with care” the Living word of God. Did corrie and those with her they handle the Living word of God with care by putting themselves in it as if it was written for their exact situation! Is that going against “correct Application?” Timing or prophecy? Consider this with Corrie in her darkest nights below from “a hiding place” hiding a bible, yet consider the “proper application”: where they became grateful for fleas, and “proper application” of not being “consumed” “devoured” or “eaten up” with bitterness…”hiding” a bible while studying His forgiveness and application of what they were suffering. Can we not all relate to suffering and forgiveness? that bible may have been hidden … but were they manifesting Christ in proper application as disciples (learners, students) of Him in times of trouble? That bible may of been hidden but was the Living word of God kept hidden or manifested through them by learning of Him?
Power of the Word
We also need to hear from a woman (in times of famine?)starved of freedom, food, and family that what kept her alive was a contraband Bible she miraculously kept hidden throughout her ordeal. Corrie describes “gulping” the entire Gospels in one sitting and “living” in the truths of the Word as if they were written for her exact situation. (Thank God there wasn’t that whispering of “that doesn’t apply to you) In a flea-ridden bunkhouse, so filthy that no guard would enter, she and Betsie would open the Bible and read it aloud, waiting as different voices translated the life-giving words into German, Polish, and French:

Like waifs clustered around a blazing fire, we gathered about it, holding out our hearts to its warmth and light. The blacker the night around us grew, the brighter and truer and more beautiful burned the word of God. . . . I would look about us as Betsie read, watching the light leap from face to face. More than conquerors. . . . It was not a wish. It was a fact. We knew it, we experienced it minute by minute—poor, hated, hungry. We are more than conquerors. Not “we shall be.” We are! (206)

If Scripture sustained these women in the darkest of places, surely it’s our sustenance as we wait for our own darkness to end. In our world full of ideas, may we cherish and “gulp” the life-giving words just as Corrie and Betsie did.

Galatians 4:17 Comes to mind where “they would exclude you” They zealously affect you, but not well; yea, they would exclude you, that ye might affect them.

From my experience I’ve never seen so many try to “get me saved” coming to my door, quoting the word of the Lord, pleading I should pray, study, learn of Him and turn to Him …doing what ever to get me to accept salvation when I was wanting to spit on God.

what is confusing now is that same unrelenting energy to get “me saved” has vanished and now it is the opposite “how can we prove her unsaved” …or that is how I feel at least. Those same verses once spoken to want me to feel loved or accepted by God, now have become the same weapon of ‘your not a daughter’, ‘your vain for thinking or assuming the gospels speaks anything to you.” “You need to stop reading the word.” “Put it up” “Your motives are wrong.” “You are not saved” “you are an antichrist” “under falseness” “confused” “weak” “Your father is satan” “you are a devil” …no knocking on the door any more…but then there is “that is because you are of an rebellious spirit” which “will not submit” to God’s authority.

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
when looking up “famine” these verses connect or “link” Psalm 33:18-20 Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy; [19] To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine. [20] Our soul waiteth for the Lord : he is our help and our shield.
I don’t see how this does not link to the testimony of Jesus Christ, or “famine” that comes upon the land of hearing the words of the Lord. Or how it doesn’t link to hope in “God is our help and shield”

That is a funny false accusation on your part, since your previous post I responded to showed you doing a false link of the time AFTER Christ's coming and defeat of His enemies, for that time only is when the new Jerusalem will come down out of Heaven from God, and need no sun or light, for The Father and The Son will be the Light of it (Revelation 21:23-24).

No need to carry on any further conversations with you, since you can't even address the proper timing of events in God's Word, and instead like to make up false accusations.