Old man

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We had to fetch some groceries the other evening late just before sundown. We found a place near the front and walked up to the store.

An old man sat on the concrete building base near the front door. He was sort of shabby looking and fixed his eyes on me as we walked up. My wife is disabled and walks very slowly so I spoke with him as she was coming up.

He motioned me over and I stepped up near to talk. I asked after him, how he was doing and he replied "sir, I'm down and out". I didn't have any trouble believing him. His face was haggard, lined and worn. "sir, you look like a Christian gentleman to me could you possibly help me out"? I told him if I had any money on me I would. I didn't have a lot but gave him what I have. No horn blowing here. It's no big deal to me I'm wanting no cheers.

He gladly took the money and gave me a God bless you in return. As my wife came up he remarked "God bless you ma'am, take care of her" he said toward me.

When we came out if the store he was gone. I've wondered after him and prayed. I'm certain I'll never see him again. People drift in and out of our lives and we wonder after them. As always we are left with our memories and our prayers. Maybe an angel? Who knows. Just a tired old man I think. I have much to be thankful for. I'm an old man too but not having to ask for help outside of a Walmart.
PicsArt_04-04-06.35.53-576x1024.jpg

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great story Frank, and I agree with you... But don't go telling such stories. Its good to tell them to illustrate love. But Mat 6 says you lose your heavemly reward.

I don't believe your intention was to show what a great guy you are. I think you were just doing it to remind us of how it impacts things. Nonetheless.... Remember what Jesus said.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You keep on telling that encouraging story. That is what the Bible is full of. Jesus knows your heart.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great story Frank, and I agree with you... But don't go telling such stories. Its good to tell them to illustrate love. But Mat 6 says you lose your heavemly reward.

I don't believe your intention was to show what a great guy you are. I think you were just doing it to remind us of how it impacts things. Nonetheless.... Remember what Jesus said.

I'm well aware of what you speak but am not interested in a reward for helping this man.

Jesus knows where I'm coming from and I felt to share that story was more important than keeping it myself. I hope that it is obvious that I am not trying to impress any one with my virtues. I do not really care what any one thinks of me personally. The Lord is the judge of my actions.

It is beneficial to share testimonys and I read many such things without thinking that the teller is making a shallow infantile effort to elevetate himself in the readers eyes. There is a level of maturity that is far beyond the shallow pursuits of vain religion. Jesus expects us to do the things He told us to do and as believers we should be able to share them without reproach.

I read this testimony on a YouTube video and felt no religious attempt by the teller to draw praise from the viewers. This man did a good deed yes but he was interested in helping and did not care for vain glory. Nor do I. Doing good is our mission, not religious brownie points. It's about maturity to me.

Through discernment we know where someone is coming from. I will always share the things that Jesus Himself puts on my heart for that is part of my ministry of encouragement. Nigh onto forty years ago the Lord spoke to me plainly and said "Behold, I give to you the ministry of encouragement". My motives I pray are transparent. I wish only for readers to be lifted up. To take those that are down and out as the old man said and assist them toward being "up and in" .

Last edited:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve always struggled with this warning because it seems to stiffle all conversation about our spiritual walk. I understand that bragging is an issue, but shouldn’t hearing about our neighbors sanctification and spiritual practices be a blessing? One thing I appreciate about being Catholic is reading about the experiences of the saints.....it is uplifting and encouraging to me. I appreciated reading your post, Frank.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
understand that bragging is an issue, but shouldn’t hearing about our neighbors sanctification and spiritual practices be a blessing
There is zero room for any kind of bragging, once you know that you know, that all is Him and not of ourselves.....Sadly people do not take it as a blessing, but a competition of sorts, where those in the 'lead' think they should be the only ones good enough to receive a vision from above...Very sad !

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 3:27 KJVS
Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

As mature Christians we understand that a testimony of helping another is not boasting but rather giving evidence that Jesus in us is working through us.

John 14:10 KJVS
Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.