Old Time Radio (OTR)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

Does anyone listen to OTR shows? Do you have any favorites?

My all time favorite OTR show is the Phil Harris and Alice Faye Show, Our Miss Brooks and the Abbott and Costello show.

Good-health-to-all.jpg

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My landlords would probably love this show... they are in their 70's... and very old school... One is an English major.. and the other is a History major. They are into all those old musicals... Laurel and Hardy... the Three Stooges.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't still listen. But we loved "Handcock's Half Hour" And 'the Goons ' ...but that was back in England ha!
Some of those shows are still around on OTR. There is at least one channel devoted to "Classic British Comedy." It's running "Hancock's Half Hour" right now. I'd never heard of that show before, I'm checking it out now. I think they run episodes of the "Goons" too. I usually listen to "mystery" and "detective" shows.

I visit https://www.internet-radio.com/stations/old time/?sortby=listeners to pick out of what they say is playing at the moment.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I will tell them of this station...as I am really certain they would eat it up like candy... They are quarky that way... LOL.. I love my landlords
so very much... they are like family to me.... but I don't like their taste .. HAHA... they tried to get me to watch Laurel and Hardy and I could barely make it through the episode... and there was a movie... Oh what was the name... something about a house boat... NO wait... Showboat?? Anyways... I watched a few of the scenes and it's not my cup of tea... LOL

Reactions: Giuliano

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Josho Oh my goodness... I am 57 and this stuff is before my time... I can't believe you have actually heard of Abbott and Costello.

Reactions: Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Josho Oh my goodness... I am 57 and this stuff is before my time... I can't believe you have actually heard of Abbott and Costello.

Haha, my cousin in Malaysia introduced me to Abbott and Costello 8 or 10 years ago maybe? He loved watching it.

Reactions: amadeus

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are the MOST interesting millennial I think I have ever met... LOL

Reactions: Josho

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ooooo so Abbott and Costello was a radio show first? I only ever knew it as an old black and white comedy.
The transition from from minstrel shows and vaudeville into radio is interesting, and then there's the tranistion from radio into movies and television. Abbott and Costello started off as a burlesque act in New York City. I find it interesting how Hollywood stars would appear on radio shows as a way of promoting movies and their careers.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I never thought about that but YEAH.... RADIO started before television... and that would indeed be QUITE the transition...
@Giuliano

Reactions: Giuliano

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never thought about that but YEAH.... RADIO started before television... and that would indeed be QUITE the transition...
@Giuliano
Some didn't make it if they didn't have the looks.

The transtion from silent movies to talkies also killed a few careers. Some people looked gorgeous but didn't have good voices. Oh my, you should hear the song Rudy Valentino recorded when he tried out singing. When he heard one of his own recordings, he said, "There goes my opera career."

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some didn't make it if they didn't have the looks.

The transtion from silent movies to talkies also killed a few careers. Some people looked gorgeous but didn't have good voices. Oh my, you should hear the song Rudy Valentino recorded when he tried out singing. When he heard one of his own recordings, he said, "There goes my opera career."

That is comical.... So happy that they have these lovely channels devoted to old time shows and movies... It must be a nice trip down memory lane.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is comical.... So happy that they have these lovely channels devoted to old time shows and movies... It must be a nice trip down memory lane.
Most of them I never heard before. I remember my Mother mentioning Fibber McGee once, but I didn't know what she meant. She told me it was a radio show.

Then there were serious shows. I also didn't know that Gunsmoke had been a radio show before it went to television. William Conrad had a splendid voice to play Matt Dillon on radio; but he was a little overweight to play him on television. It's a fascinating show in a way, often ahead of its time in pressing women's issues and racial equality. The script writers appeared to be Christians but never got preachy. At times, they could teach moral lessons using compassion instead of sermons. A few episodes brought tears to my eyes.

Reactions: historyb

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

Does anyone listen to OTR shows? Do you have any favorites?

My all time favorite OTR show is the Phil Harris and Alice Faye Show, Our Miss Brooks and the Abbott and Costello show.
When I was in grade school before most people, [which included us], had a TV, I used to get home from school and turn a the console radio to listen to my favorites, which included, "Sky King", "The Shadow", "Ozzie and Harriet", "The Lone Ranger", "The Green Hornet", "Our Miss Brooks" [later the TV show starring Eve Arden], and "Sergeant Preston" [of the Mounties, RCMP] with his dog, Yukon King.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was in grade school before most people, [which included us], had a TV, I used to get home from school and turn a the console radio to listen to my favorites, which included, "Sky King", "The Shadow", "Ozzie and Harriet", "The Lone Ranger", "The Green Hornet", "Our Miss Brooks" [later the TV show starring Eve Arden], and "Sergeant Preston" [of the Mounties, RCMP] with his dog, Yukon King.
Yukon King seemed like the real star of that show. :D

Did you ever hear the "Baby Snooks" show? Fanny Brice did such a good job playing a young brat.

Reactions: amadeus

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ooooo so Abbott and Costello was a radio show first? I only ever knew it as an old black and white comedy.

It was. :) I colected about 80 gigs of OTR shows and have about 200 DVD's of comics from the golden age. Abbot and Costello was my introduction to OTR and I never looked back :) I just started collecting OTR on cassette and have a record player now again after many years. I love old things :)

Reactions: amadeus and Josho

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some of those shows are still around on OTR. There is at least one channel devoted to "Classic British Comedy." It's running "Hancock's Half Hour" right now. I'd never heard of that show before, I'm checking it out now. I think they run episodes of the "Goons" too. I usually listen to "mystery" and "detective" shows.

I visit https://www.internet-radio.com/stations/old time/?sortby=listeners to pick out of what they say is playing at the moment.

Thanks Kerry :)

What is OTR?

I will check out your link...we would never miss "Handcocks Half Hour."
Sadly he couldn't transition from from radio to the TV ...Sid James did..and even went into major films like all the Carry-Om movies...but Tony Handcock couldn't do it...he ended by committing suicide ...as many comics do. They say most comedians are also depressed people.

Did you ever come across "Just a minute" on your radio search ( also British)
We never missed that. We would eat our evening meal ..then run into the living room and gather around the radio for the shows... then before bed , dad would read us stories. Good days, happy memories.