Old Time Radio (OTR)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yukon King seemed like the real star of that show. :D

Did you ever hear the "Baby Snooks" show? Fanny Brice did such a good job playing a young brat.
Yes, I always liked Yukon King better than the Sergeant. The other King, Sky King, for those who don't know was a pilot who flew his own private plane and was always a hero against law breakers although I do not remember any other details.

The name "Baby Snooks" rings a bell in my memory but I remember nothing specific about that one.

Reactions: historyb

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was. :) I colected about 80 gigs of OTR shows and have about 200 DVD's of comics from the golden age. Abbot and Costello was my introduction to OTR and I never looked back :) I just started collecting OTR on cassette and have a record player now again after many years. I love old things :)
I have around a thousand old movies on cassettes and dvds. Unfortunately when downsizing, we had a garage sale during which someone stole a boxed set of 250 non-western oldies but goodies, which included all of my Abbot and Costello movies. I still have the mate to that set of old grade B westerns. Once in a while when I am tired of the Internet and tired of reading I will put on some old movies and simply relax while watching them. About 15 years ago they used to show more of the very old movies, especially at night when most people were sleeping. I had an adapter then for my computer where I could connect to my TV and set a timer to start and stop while recording my own DVDs of old movies. I have several hundred movies recorded that way. I stopped doing that long ago, as either I already had the movies or as usually became the case what they were showing even in the middle of the night was garbage

I still watch for any old movies on dvd or cassettes to buy, but finding any these days is rare. Also with this Corona Virus thing I don't go out very much at all that is not essential. I'd like to go to garage sales. That is where I am more likely find old movies at bargain prices. Not many people will bother them.

Reactions: historyb

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Kerry :)

What is OTR?

I will check out your link...we would never miss "Handcocks Half Hour."
Sadly he couldn't transition from from radio to the TV ...Sid James did..and even went into major films like all the Carry-Om movies...but Tony Handcock couldn't do it...he ended by committing suicide ...as many comics do. They say most comedians are also depressed people.

Did you ever come across "Just a minute" on your radio search ( also British)
We never missed that. We would eat our evening meal ..then run into the living room and gather around the radio for the shows... then before bed , dad would read us stories. Good days, happy memories.
I think there are two British comedy channels. I never ran across "Just a minute." Yes, I think a lot of comics are depressed. I read about a man who interviewed Bob Hope. He said it was horrible.

If you see "The Bickersons" on another comedy channel, you might want to try it. It's about a married couple who fight constantly. I know it sounds horrrible, but it's hilarious. I also like "My Favorite Husband" which had Lucille Ball in the starring role.

Reactions: Helen

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I always liked Yukon King better than the Sergeant. The other King, Sky King, for those who don't know was a pilot who flew his own private plane and was always a hero against law breakers although I do not remember any other details.

The name "Baby Snooks" rings a bell in my memory but I remember nothing specific about that one.
You Tube has some of them. Some are short, some about a half an hour. Here's a short one.

`

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
While I wasn't around back in the good old days I heard stories from my Dad and Uncle about then and loved it. You guys are the greatest generation.

Haha! Trouble is we are dropping like flies... I was a British war baby born 1942..
So now we are always hearing that this one or that one has gone...the ranks are thinning out quickly! LOL

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, do you think children of today would be happy with what we were satisfied with, and enjoyed?
Helen children are happy when they are in a happy situation which really has nothing to do with material possessions as you already know. I mentioned children because Jesus spoke of us coming to him like little children. This is the unspoiled little child still happy with Mama and Daddy and the love and comfort they receive before those children have begun to take on the any kind of greediness yet. Every little child is innocent early on. Some of them as we know have that innocence removed before they know enough to understand why someone, especially a parent, would hurt them.

"And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Matt 18:3-4

But then by the time most people are actually called by God, they have years of negative experience with people and have developed evil habits of their own. The carnal mind response makes it difficult to understand what is needed for us to change to into a new creature, with that untarnished innocence of a child. When we think about what God has offered and given to us, we really should want to give Him the glory!

Reactions: Giuliano and Helen

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, do you think children of today would be happy with what we were satisfied with, and enjoyed?

I think there is to much technology. Phones, tablets, social this, social that all baloney and allows no imagination. Technology in part is one of the reason for family breakdown. It would have been a lot better if computers were not invented, even though I would not have a job. Everyone I talk to was happier as a child without technology and now people don't know how to walk without a cellphone in their hands staring at it. I am sure it seems strange that I work with technology and yet am a bit of a Luddite.