Oldest and Best, Really??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The NKJV was translated from the Textus Receptus. The same as the KJV.
I admonish you to look further at what Greek texts were used for the NKJV. Just because they put the 'New' KJV label on it is actually a hoax.

King James only advocates hate the NKJV

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
King James only advocates hate the NKJV
Doesn't matter who says who hates who. What is written is what matters, and it has plainly been shown online with direct quotes out the NKJV compared with other modern NT versions based on the Critical texts, that those Critical texts of modern criticism have also been used in the NKJV.

The following is from Bible Gateway. The symbol NU listed in the Preface of the NKJV Bible is from the Nestle-Aland Greek version (N), and the United Bible Society (U), which are the same Greek texts used for modern New Testament Bible versions like the NIV,
__________________________________________________________________________________________

"What do the footnotes in the NKJV [New King James Version] mean?​

June 13, 2018 12:58

These notations are meant to identify the original manuscript source of Bible passages. Here are more details from the New King James Version preface:

Where significant variations occur in the New Testament Greek manuscripts, textual notes are classified as follows:

NU-Text
These variations from the traditional text generally represent the Alexandrian or Egyptian type of text [the oldest, but sometimes questioned text]. They are found in the Critical Text published in the Twenty-sixth edition of the Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament (N) and in the United Bible Society's third edition (U), hence the acronym "NU-text."

M-Text
This symbol indicates points of variation in the Majority Text from the traditional text [a consensus of most Greek manuscripts]. It should be noted that M stands for whatever reading is printed in the published Greek New Testament According to the Majority Text, whether supported by overwhelming, strong, or only a divided majority textual tradition.

(https://support.biblegateway.com/hc...otes-in-the-NKJV-New-King-James-Version-mean-)

Here's a bit more info about the Nestle-Aland Greek NT version (N).

"The Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament is an eclectic text edited by the German biblical scholar Eberhard Nestle (1851—1913) and further updated by German scholar Kurt Aland (1915—1994). The official title is Novum Testamentum Graece, which is Latin for “New Testament in Greek.” Having been regularly updated by the Institute for New Testament Textual Research and published by the German Bible Society, the Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament is currently in its 28th edition. It is often referred to as the NA28."

_______________________________________________________________________________________

That is why the NKJV is NOT... 100% true to the original Textus Receptus traditional Greek text that was used for the 1611 KJV Greek New Testament. The NKJV also... uses the modern Critical Greek text created from different Greek manuscripts in the 1880's forward. The 'Traditional' text points to the Textus Receptus or Majority text. The 'Critical' text points to Wescott and Hort's new 1880s Greek New Testament translation, and to Nestle-Alands (N) 28 revisions, and interpretation by the United Bible Society (U).

The 'Critical' text is based originally on the Greek manuscripts Codex Sinaticus (1850s?) and Codex Vaticanus (1475?), not... the Textus Receptus that the King James translators used.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When one understands... what the NU abbreviations mean in the NKJV Preface, and that they are included for certain passages in the NKJV Bible, it means the powers that be at Nelson Publishing have passed off a CORRUPT KJV Bible revision.

Last edited:

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I
Doesn't matter who says who hates who. What is written is what matters, and it has plainly been shown online with direct quotes out the NKJV compared with other modern NT versions based on the Critical texts, that those Critical texts of modern criticism have also been used in the NKJV.

The following is from Bible Gateway. The symbol NU listed in the Preface of the NKJV Bible is from the Nestle-Aland Greek version (N), and the United Bible Society (U), which are the same Greek texts used for modern New Testament Bible versions like the NIV,
__________________________________________________________________________________________

These notations are meant to identify the original manuscript source of Bible passages. Here are more details from the New King James Version preface:

Where significant variations occur in the New Testament Greek manuscripts, textual notes are classified as follows:

NU-Text
These variations from the traditional text generally represent the Alexandrian or Egyptian type of text [the oldest, but sometimes questioned text]. They are found in the Critical Text published in the Twenty-sixth edition of the Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament (N) and in the United Bible Society's third edition (U), hence the acronym "NU-text."

M-Text
This symbol indicates points of variation in the Majority Text from the traditional text [a consensus of most Greek manuscripts]. It should be noted that M stands for whatever reading is printed in the published Greek New Testament According to the Majority Text, whether supported by overwhelming, strong, or only a divided majority textual tradition.

(https://support.biblegateway.com/hc...otes-in-the-NKJV-New-King-James-Version-mean-)

"The Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament is an eclectic text edited by the German biblical scholar Eberhard Nestle (1851—1913) and further updated by German scholar Kurt Aland (1915—1994). The official title is Novum Testamentum Graece, which is Latin for “New Testament in Greek.” Having been regularly updated by the Institute for New Testament Textual Research and published by the German Bible Society, the Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament is currently in its 28th edition. It is often referred to as the NA28."

_______________________________________________________________________________________

That is why the NKJV is NOT... 100% true to the original Textus Receptus traditional Greek text that was used for the 1611 KJV Greek New Testament. The NKJV also... uses the modern Critical Greek text created from different Greek manuscripts in the 1880's forward. The 'Traditional' text points to the Textus Receptus or Majority text. The 'Critical' text points to Wescott and Hort's new 1880s Greek New Testament translation, and to Nestle-Alands (N) 28 revisions, and interpretation by the United Bible Society (U).

The 'Critical' text is based originally on the Greek manuscripts Codex Sinaticus (1850s?) and Codex Vaticanus (1475?), not... the Textus Receptus that the King James translators used.
It’ referring to the notes in the NKJV not the text

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 'notes' are about... the text presented. Don't be stubborn on this, this is not my opinion.
You are relying on material from King James only advocates. Do your own research and then draw your conclusions. Your sources are biased

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are relying on material from King James only advocates. Do your own research and then draw your conclusions. Your sources are biased
I am relying on what is DOCUMENTED IN THE PREFACE OF THE NKJV BIBLE.

And its different text readings should have been enough to convince you that some different Greek texts (like W&H Greek text) were involved.

But now, since you show disdain for the actual truth by clear documentation, you reveal to me that you are NOT... really who you have come here to try and show you are! You are actually showing me that you SUPPORT the later modern New Testament revisionists! Your not willing to recognize the NU Critical text note mentioned in the NKJV Preface tells me that plainly.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am relying on what is DOCUMENTED IN THE PREFACE OF THE NKJV BIBLE.

And its different text readings should have been enough to convince you that some different Greek texts (like W&H Greek text) were involved.

But now, since you show disdain for the actual truth by clear documentation, you reveal to me that you are NOT... really who you have come here to try and show you are! You are actually showing me that you SUPPORT the later modern New Testament revisionists! Your not willing to recognize the NU Critical text note mentioned in the NKJV Preface tells me that plainly.
Okay this is not the inquisition. I do feel the Byzantine texts are better than the Alexandrian. But I am not a King James only advocate and I never claimed I was. The NKJV is an excellent translation and I like the NET Full Notes version

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay this is not the inquisition. I do feel the Byzantine texts are better than the Alexandrian. But I am not a King James only advocate and I never claimed I was. The NKJV is an excellent translation and I like the NET Full Notes version
I don't care if you are, or are not a KJV Only advocate, that is not the topic at hand.

The topic is that in the NKJV Preface, there is a note that the Critical Greek text (NU) was also used in the revision. And NU means the Nestle-Aland Greek text and United Bible Society Greek text with BOTH based on Wescott and Hort's 1881 new Greek text they created from a totally different set of Greek manuscripts that the 1611 King James translators DID NOT HAVE!

Wescott and Hort's new Greek New Testament text of 1881 is called the 'Critical text', and has nothing to do with the Textus Receptus or Majority texts that translators used PRIOR to the 1880s. And if you had READ my earlier posts here, you would have discovered the Textus Receptus was NOT A KJV ONLY GREEK NEW TESTAMENT TEXT, but was used for several Bible versions prior to the 1880s!!!

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't care if you are, or are not a KJV Only advocate, that is not the topic at hand.

The topic is that in the NKJV Preface, there is a note that the Critical Greek text (NU) was also used in the revision. And NU means the Nestle-Aland Greek text and United Bible Society Greek text with BOTH based on Wescott and Hort's 1881 new Greek text they created from a totally different set of Greek manuscripts that the 1611 King James translators DID NOT HAVE!

Wescott and Hort's new Greek New Testament text of 1881 is called the 'Critical text', and has nothing to do with the Textus Receptus or Majority texts that translators used PRIOR to the 1880s. And if you had READ my earlier posts here, you would have discovered the Textus Receptus was NOT A KJV ONLY GREEK NEW TESTAMENT TEXT, but was used for several Bible versions prior to the 1880s!!!
Please post the verses that the NKJV omits like the modern version s do

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please post the verses that the NKJV omits like the modern version s do
Go fish. You've been caught pushing falsehood against the Bible versions PRIOR to Wescott and Horts corrupt 1880s Greek text.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go fish. You've been caught pushing falsehood against the Bible versions PRIOR to Wescott and Horts corrupt 1880s Greek text.
You’ve obviously confused me with someone else. I haven’t posted any such thing

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You’ve obviously confused me with someone else. I haven’t posted any such thing
Well, yes you did, because elsewhere you agreed with the false claim that the Vaticanus manuscript dates back to the 3rd century when that is not true.

Your post #34 in this Thread you posted:
"The Codex Vaticanus gets its name from the place where it is stored the Vatican library. It is regarded as the oldest and rarest existing Greek copy of the Bible. It has been dated to around 350 AD."

Now whether you were just cut and pasting that into your post, you are still responsible for it.

With the Sinaiticus, you didn't even give the 1850s dating when Tischendorf discovered it in a Greek monastery waste basket. False claimants date it back to the 4th century A.D., just because of Tischendorf's recommendations. Simonedes, a Greek scholar at the monastery, claimed he created Sinaiticus. The London media squelched his claim, ruined his reputation, and thus hushed him up, supporting Tischendorf's hoax.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, yes you did, because elsewhere you agreed with the false claim that the Vaticanus manuscript dates back to the 3rd century when that is not true.

Your post #34 in this Thread you posted:
"The Codex Vaticanus gets its name from the place where it is stored the Vatican library. It is regarded as the oldest and rarest existing Greek copy of the Bible. It has been dated to around 350 AD."

Now whether you were just cut and pasting that into your post, you are still responsible for it.

With the Sinaiticus, you didn't even give the 1850s dating when Tischendorf discovered it in a Greek monastery waste basket. False claimants date it back to the 4th century A.D., just because of Tischendorf's recommendations. Simonedes, a Greek scholar at the monastery, claimed he created Sinaiticus. The London media squelched his claim, ruined his reputation, and thus hushed him up, supporting Tischendorf's hoax.
Look I said they were bad you say they are worse. I don’t know how accurate your claims are but I agree they are poor documents. The dating technique used to date Vaticanus is not the most accurate Palaeography - Wikipedia

Last edited:

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

NU-Text

M-Text

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a difference between New Testament Bible translations today. Depending on which one you use, it comes from one of two different types of Greek text. And it DOES matter which one you rely upon for The New Testament.

The authors of the Critical text (Wescott and Hort) claimed that the Greek Majority Text, which earlier New Testament translations are based on, are not as old nor as reliable as their Critical text. They claim the Greek Majority Text has additions, which is why their Critical text is shorter, and omits around 2,800 words that the Received Text has. They claim over time words were added to produce the Received Text. And because they allege their Critical text is older, it doesn't have those additions. None of that has ever been proven to be fact though. It was just assumed by Wescott and Hort.

What this means then, is that if you want to use a modern New Testament version, understand that you are relying on a totally different set of Greek manuscripts other than the Traditional texts used in history for the New Testament prior to the 1880s. And that newer Greek text is shorter, because it does not include something like 196 verses that are in earlier New Testament translations, like the KJV.

1. Received Text (Textus Receptus) or Byzantine Text or Majority Text, or Traditional Text -- this Greek text is based on the majority of existing Greek NT manuscripts, which is in the thousands. They make up the Byzantine tradition. This is why it is also called the Majority Text.

The higher critics wrongly claim that the Textus Receptus was created by Erasmus. That idea is false, because Erasmus in the 1500s made a Greek translation from... those Majority Text manuscripts. He only made a translation from existing Greek texts, and published it. These Greek texts were the same ones from antiquity. The title 'Received Text' was coined in the 1600s and thus the Latin name Textus Receptus means Received Text. But the source is from the Majority Text of thousands of Greek New Testament manuscripts that exist.

It is what was used for New Testament Bible translations prior to the 1880s, like the 1611 KJV, Bible translations by John Wycliffe, William Tyndale, Miles Coverdale, Matthew's Bible, The Great Bible, Geneva Bible, Bishop's Bible, etc.

2. Critical Text, or Eclectic Text -- this is mainly 2 Greek texts, the Codex Vaticanus and the Codes Sinaiticus. The conventional theory is that these Greek texts are the 'oldest and best' Greek New Testament manuscripts, as alleged by the 1800s British scholars Wescott and Hort (abbreviated as W&H). Notice the NKJV is in this group also, simply because it has notes of NU in its margin, showing the Critical Text of the Nestle-Aland and United Bible Societies was used which included Wescott and Hort's new Greek text.

However, that oldest and best idea of Wescott and Hort was never established as fact, and discovery of newer manuscript evidence even shows the Codex Vaticanus, and the Codex Sinaiticus are not the oldest and best Greek manuscripts of the New Testament.

Vaticanus was first discovered in the Vatican library in 1475 with nothing to date any previous origin. The Sinaiticus was first discovered in the 1859 by Tischendorf at St. Catherine's monastery in Greece. Tischendorf, a German rationalist, is who first claimed Sinaiticus is older than the Textus Receptus, without any such evidence. A Greek scholar and paleographer of ancient Greek text named Simonides at the monastery claimed he was assigned to write Sinaiticus (under a different title), and that it was to be presented to the Czar in hopes of getting a donation for a printing press. The translation contained many errors that required repair, and overwrites, making the translation unpresentable. All this means it is a modern work created in the 1840s. The white appearance of the Sinaiticus manuscript also gives away its modern authorship. All the ancient Greek texts show oxidation, turning the document to a bronze color.

The Critical text, plus some pieces of other Greek manuscripts claimed to have been found later, are what the Nestle-Aland and United Bible Societies (UBS) New Testament translations are based upon, making up about 2% of modern New Testament versions, because its main reliance is still upon Wescott and Hort's 1881 new Greek translation.

The modern New Testament translations are based on the Critical Text. NIV, New Living Translation, English Standard Version (ESV), New King James Version (NKJV), Christian Standard Bible (CSB), The Message (MSG), New American Standard Version (NASV). English Revised Version (ERV), New Revised Standard Version (NRSV), World English Bible (WEB), Updated American Standard Version (UASV). If you have a New Testament that says it's from the Nestle-Aland or United Bible Societies, often abbreviated as NU, then you're using Wescott and Hort's new Greek translation they did from Vaticanus and Sinaiticus.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look I said they were bad you say they are worse. I don’t know how accurate your claims are but I agree they are poor documents. The dating technique used to date Vaticanus is not the most accurate Palaeography - Wikipedia
The main matter is that 'false ones' involved in the Occult are behind pushing the corrupt Vaticanus and Sinaiticus Greek texts (i.e., Wescott and Hort, they are the main ones that claimed the antiquity of those manuscripts without giving any proof.)

The other matter is how the NKJV is being pushed as just a new version of the 'original' King James Bible when the NKJV uses those same Alexandrian Greek texts which the original NEVER used!

So if you cannot see the HOAX pushed upon many unsuspecting Christian brethren with that, then your blindness to that is exactly what the Occultists want! (Wescott and Hort were involved in Spiritism and the Occult, which has been documented also.)

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The main matter is that 'false ones' involved in the Occult are behind pushing the corrupt Vaticanus and Sinaiticus Greek texts (i.e., Wescott and Hort, they are the main ones that claimed the antiquity of those manuscripts without giving any proof.)

The other matter is how the NKJV is being pushed as just a new version of the 'original' King James Bible when the NKJV uses those same Alexandrian Greek texts which the original NEVER used!

So if you cannot see the HOAX pushed upon many unsuspecting Christian brethren with that, then your blindness to that is exactly what the Occultists want! (Wescott and Hort were involved in Spiritism and the Occult, which has been documented also.)
The NKJV is one of the best translations you can get.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States