On How to be saved

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We already HAVE, so why are you so obsessed with Acts 2:38 :eek:

I wish now I had started counting just how many times you have quoted that verse...over and over and over again.
My very first non-Catholic pastor called that verse his "sugar stick". Of course he was in the UPC which if you understand that will help you to understand the position. I have at times belonged to three Jesus Only Oneness organizations and all three placed great emphasis on that one verse. It is of course important, but we need God to gives us understanding of it.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you interpret Acts 2:38? I'm curious because I see it differently than most, especially the oneness folks.
I don't see scripture as being subject to private interpretation...but the part that I would deem offensive might have to do with the narrowness of the way into the kingdom according to the view presented by most as being the interpretation of this passage.

D

Dave L

I don't see scripture as being subject to private interpretation...but the part that I would deem offensive might have to do with the narrowness of the way into the kingdom according to the view presented by most as being the interpretation of this passage.
So what is your public interpretation?

Reactions: Helen
D

Dave L

Acts 2:38 is not about salvation.

It is about born again Jews leaving the Old Covenant and embracing the New.

Repent = 3340. μετανοέω mĕtanŏĕō, met-an-ŏ-eh´-o; from 3326 and 3539; to think differently or afterwards, i.e. reconsider (mor. feel compunction):—repent. Strong, J. (2009). A Concise Dictionary of the Words in the Greek Testament and The Hebrew Bible (Vol. 1, p. 47).

Jesus says whoever believes has eternal life. And since these believed, they asked "What shall we do?" Had they not believed, they would not have given Peter a second thought.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does water wash away your sins? Isn't it the blood that does this? Nevertheless it is written here that your sins will be washed away when you are baptized in water...how does the blood apply when we get baptized in water? Water is symbolic of the baptism of the Spirit...but baptism in the Spirit is not the same as being washed in the blood of the Lamb...these are two distinct and separate things!

The point being that, whether the blood is in the water or not...being baptized in water, in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, will bring about the result of washing away your sins. So if the blood is required for your sins to be washed away, then somehow the blood is applied to you when you go under the water. See also 1 John 5:8.

Not found in the Bible. We have to be washed in his blood by the Holy Spirit.

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 3:6 teaches that the Gentiles are recipients of the New Covenant.

Romans 11:16-24 teaches that the Gentiles were graffed into the church, which is identified as the olive tree, Israel.
Where in Eph 3:6? Did a voice whisper that to you? It sure was an absurd statement.

The Gentiles were grafted into Israel, but according the Rom 9:4, they didn't have the covenants, had no inheritance, and couldn't preach or teach, The Gentiles were there for ONLY one purpose, to provoke Israel to jealousy, so they might repent. When Israel was set aside in Ac 28:28, 64AD, the Acts church was also set aside. Paul's books in Acts were written to Jew sand Gentiles in the Acts church, which was 100% Israel. The church today, ONLY found in Paul's 7 post-Acts epistles, has NO similarities to anything found in Paul's Acts epistles. It's a waste of time to quote them. Paul's post-Acts books are a self-sustained island unto themselves, surrounded by the 59 Israel books, with no boats in or out.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The doctrine that goes in line with Acts of the Apostles 2:38 may be offensive to those who want to believe that salvation is Universal.

Ahh I did not know that Acts 2:38 had been cherry picked and 'made into' a Doctrine...I guessed as much, but thank you for the confirmation.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ahh I did not know that Acts 2:38 had been cherry picked and 'made into' a Doctrine...I guessed as much, but thank you for the confirmation.

Acts 2:38 New International Version (NIV)
38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Where does it say ne baptized in water?

That interpretation conflicts with;

Ephesians 2:8-9 New International Version (NIV)
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

Water baptism is a work.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

Water baptism is a work.

Not disagreeing with you. I just object to someone beating his drum over and over and declaring a particular verse "a doctrine". :rolleyes:
We already have enough legalism thrown at us.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Water baptism is a work.

Water baptism cannot be a work, because it is unto the remission (forgiveness) of sins: which = salvation.

What you said is not found in the Bible.

I would reply with your words:

What you said is not found in the Bible.

What is found in the Bible is...let the blind be leaders of the blind...so I have nothing further to say, as the posts have made it clear. All one has to do is think about what each scripture is saying that has been quoted:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not disagreeing with you. I just object to someone beating his drum over and over and declaring a particular verse "a doctrine". :rolleyes:
We already have enough legalism thrown at us.

Understood. Sadly there's a lot of people to think you cannot be saved without it.

God made it simple. With so many people want to claim a role in their salvation when they do not have any except repentance.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Water baptism cannot be a work, because it is unto the remission (forgiveness) of sins: which = salvation.

I would reply with your words:

That is found in the Bible is...let the blind be leaders of the blind...so I have nothing further to say, as the posts have made it clear. All one has to do is think about what each scripture is saying that has been quoted:

You are demanding a negative proof of claim, which does not fly in law, theology, debate or logic.

The proof is there is no demand anywhere for water baptism for salvation. The verses I posted spell out quite clearly..

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are demanding a negative proof of claim, which does not fly in law, theology, debate or logic.

The proof is there is no demand anywhere for water baptism for salvation. The verses I posted spell out quite clearly..

...Thumb.gif

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The proof is there is no demand anywhere for water baptism for salvation.

There is...in not a few places in the Bible (but you would have to be an avid Bible reader to discover them).

I am not of the kind to exalt being in debate mode. I consider it to be a sinful thing (Romans 1:29 (kjv), 2 Corinthians 12:20-21 (kjv)).

I prefer to exalt heeding the voice of the Holy Spirit in discussions (Hebrews 3:7-8, Hebrews 3:15, Hebrews 4:7).

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is the possibility that they are right and you are wrong...therefore you are gambling on eternity.

Only for people who believe that it can be a "gamble".
God is not a gamble.
Christianity is not a religion of fear...only by some....obviously..
..if the shoe fits....