On How to be saved

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you telling us that you are expecting to be (or are already) SINLESSLY PERFECT? Even Paul did not make such a claim.
No, that is bad terminology. The word for it is sanctified wholly (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 (kjv)).

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the days of the New Testament church, baptism was the initiation into the faith of Christianity; and therefore, if you told them that getting baptized was the result of heresy (and that they wouldn't end up being saved because of it) because they weren't trusting in the finished work of Christ if they got baptized, you would be laughed off the face of the planet. They were expressing their faith and trust in the finished work of Christ by getting baptized.
We aren't in those times now and the New Covenant has absolutely nothing to do with us, as Gentiles totally unassociated with Israel. The baptism of the Spirit was a preview of the NC and we certainly don't have that today. The NC solely belongs to Israel. Jeremiah 31:31-34, Hebrews 8:8. The only Gentiles with the NC were those, starting with Cornelius, 8 years after Pentecost, that were part of Israel during Acts. Now, since there is no Israel, in God's eyes, and the all-Israel Acts church was set aside, along with Israel, no one is under the NC.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We aren't in those times now and the New Covenant has absolutely nothing to do with us, as Gentiles totally unassociated with Israel. The baptism of the Spirit was a preview of the NC and we certainly don't have that today. The NC solely belongs to Israel. Jeremiah 31:31-34, Hebrews 8:8. The only Gentiles with the NC were those, starting with Cornelius, 8 years after Pentecost, that were part of Israel during Acts. Now, since there is no Israel, in God's eyes, and the all-Israel Acts church was set aside, along with Israel, no one is under the NC.
So we are to disregard the New Testament? Because "Covenant" is synonymous with "Testament"...therefore the New Testament lays out for us the New Covenant...which is for Gentiles as well as Jews...Ephesians 3:6.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you've decided you're going to be a Jew and depend on baptism to get rid of your sons.
I don't have any sons...although I think I may have the faith of Abraham to obtain some...I just don't think that my wife has the faith of Sarah...Hebrews 11:11. :eek::p:D:cool:

PS if that was a typo then I expect that you will get around to correcting it...

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So we are to disregard the New Testament? Because "Covenant" is synonymous with "Testament"...therefore the New Testament lays out for us the New Covenant...which is for Gentiles as well as Jews...Ephesians 3:6.
Absolutely disregard it!! It has nothing to do with you. It's only purpose will be to put the law in the inward parts of the Jew so they well be able to keep the law, and love it. See Jer 31:31-34.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely disregard it!! It has nothing to do with you. It's only purpose will be to put the law in the inward parts of the Jew so they well be able to keep the law, and love it. See Jer 31:31-34.
Too late...I'm already a Christian!

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forsake your sins and be born again.
Born again means resurrection. Only Christ has been been born again.
Proof:
Jn 3:3
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
1Cor 15:50
Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God

The only way to satisfy both requirements to get into the Kingdom of God is to be resurrected

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want to take chances for your own soul...
The truth had been delivered...
The Book of Romans was written to the believers who were already repented, baptized in Jesus name and received the Holy Ghost.To
The Word of God is not changed. It had been true from the beginning...

Hi, TruthBeliever, welcome to the forum!

I'm just going to jump right in. When you look at the verses that say how we must be saved, many of them mention baptism, but not all of them. If baptism were essential for salvation, then I have no doubt that the Holy Spirit would have moved on the writers of the New Testament to state this emphatically. But belief/faith are the basis for salvation throughout the entire Bible.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that baptism is a very important act of obedience as the new believer publicly identifies with the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. It provides an outer witness to the inner experience of salvation.

I do have one question for you. Do you believe that a person has to believe that baptism is essential for salvation in order to be saved?

Edit: I just wanted to add that when I received Jesus as my Savior, i.e. gave Him my life and asked Him to save me, everything about my life changed at that point. It's very clear that I was born again as a new creation in Christ. My water baptism took place almost 2 years later. I'm not saying that we should base our theology on experience, but if your interpretation (and I'm assuming your church's interpretation) of what the Bible says is required for salvation is correct, how do you explain this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and LC627

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism is for the remission of sins.

“Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out...” Acts 3:19

“To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in Him shall receive remission of sins.” Acts 10:43

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 2:8 New International Version (NIV)
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—

No mention of water baptism at all.

Ephesians 1:13-14 New International Version (NIV)
13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

When you are saved by grace you receive the Holy Spirit then and there.

And once you're saved it is for eternity, read Romans 8

It isn't complicated. God didn't want to be complicated. He wants everybody to be saved.

Reactions: Acolyte

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out...” Acts 3:19

“To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in Him shall receive remission of sins.” Acts 10:43

Now, please understand that I am not arguing that baptism in Jesus' name is necessary if one is going to receive remission of sins; rather I am arguing that baptism in Jesus' name can be a point of contact for faith so that when a person is "baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins" the absolute promise "and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost" is sure to follow.

I have repeatedly stated concerning this issue that a person can simply call on the name of the Lord and there is also an absolute promise of salvation: "Whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved." Romans 10:13.

I believe that in this latter thing, remission of sins is not excluded from the salvation mentioned.

However, I don't believe that we can justly exclude the remission of sins from those who are baptized in Jesus' name for the remission of sins, either. It is a valid entry point into the kingdom, through which a man can have his sins remitted.

It is often a point of contact so that faith can become a reality. Sometimes a person's faith is suddenly given new life when he or she goes under the water and then comes up out of the water: in fact, the scripture says that in baptism, when the person comes out of the water, it is so that they can walk in newness of life. I find also that people who have assurance issues can have them dealt with once and for all if they will simply submit to baptism in Jesus' name. Because the Holy Ghost is absolutely promised to those who do so; and therefore there can be no doubt in the mind concerning the indwelling and sealing of the Holy Ghost once a person receives Acts 2:38-39 baptism (although certain people would try to undermine the assurance and faith that comes thereby).

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 2:8 New International Version (NIV)
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—

No mention of water baptism at all.

Ephesians 1:13-14 New International Version (NIV)
13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

When you are saved by grace you receive the Holy Spirit then and there.

And once you're saved it is for eternity, read Romans 8

It isn't complicated. God didn't want to be complicated. He wants everybody to be saved.
See post #94 (On How to be saved)

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
You cannot approach God or receive anything from God without faith... IT is foundation
So.. it starts by GRACE (unmerited favor of God)... grace is a teacher... ... then comes FAITH (we got to believe in order to receive anything from God) then comes CONFESSION (confessing our sins to God) then comes REPENTANCE (asking God to forgive us)
then BAPTISM (washing away) then Holy Ghost (with evidence of speaking in tongues Acts 2:1-4, Acts 10, Acts 19, etc...) then lving a Holy and separated life...
ALL of this has to have FAITH but without works FAITH is dead...
God bless.
I would adjust the OP and write Works in caps just like you wrote all the other requirements.
Baptism is not a work.
Speaking in tongues is not the proof of anything, but is a gift.

Later I'll read through the responses a little.
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: brakelite and Nancy

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a Christian, I adhere to the New Covenant and abide by the teachings of the New Testament.
Explain what the new Covenant is. What are the teachings of the New Testament?

Where does it say that we Gentiles today, who have no association at all with Israel, are under the new Covenant?

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said to be baptized.
Mathew 28:19-20

He doesn't matter at all?

I would reply with the following statements: