ON THE FENCE ABOUT REPENTANCE?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm on my second cup of fresh roasted Ethiopian Yirgacheffe medium roasted from 3 days ago and made with my aeropress :)

I started roasting coffee several years ago.

ok enough off topic discussion and back to repentance and sin. so let me tie this post into the OP so its not off topic. ;)

BTW- I'm sure there are some who would say roasting coffee and drinking caffeine is a sin and I need to repent :eek:

You just made me drool.... I am a sucker for Ethiopian coffee... I live in a small town now.... but at one time.... I lived where there was a Saturday morning market... and I would always choose Ethiopian blend coffee.... I'm not sure what and aeropress is... I have a french press and I like it...

Ha ha @ your skillful method of tying in the coffee post with repentance... I am impressed...

Reactions: ChristisGod

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just made me drool.... I am a sucker for Ethiopian coffee... I live in a small town now.... but at one time.... I lived where there was a Saturday morning market... and I would always choose Ethiopian blend coffee.... I'm not sure what and aeropress is... I have a french press and I like it...

Ha ha @ your skillful method of tying in the coffee post with repentance... I am impressed...
Normally I make a pour over, this morning I used my aeropress which is a one cup version of a French press style method. It makes one of the best tasting cups of coffee.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Normally I make a pour over, this morning I used my aeropress which is a one cup version of a French press style method. It makes one of the best tasting cups of coffee.

I do agree that a french press makes the best coffee... FRESH BEANS.... in the press... boiling water.... wait a few minutes and press down... Can't get fresher than that.... Anyways.... thanks for the memories... LOL

Reactions: ChristisGod

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi Grail,
Most of us here, or at least a good many were taught to ask God for forgiveness for every, single sin we committed...chewing gum in class, talking and not paying attention and the myriad of things a child does that could be considered "sin". I kind of think that comes from Catholicism as, we were brought up Catholic. So, it's pretty tough after a lifelong habit of asking forgiveness to suddenly not do that.
Repentance to me is simple, just have to turn around and walk toward Christ when we are about to do something He would not approve of. Just once?? Don't know. It seems some can repent of the bigger sins in their life but, the "smaller" ones are the ones that get ya! Smaller to US, not God. If habitual, say an addiction that comes around to haunt you time and time again. It is hard to think that someone who I was very close to (my mom) who was the kindest, very God loving and bore nothing BUT the fruit of The Spirit her whole life, peacekeeping gentle and most loving of anyone I have ever known, to think that God sent her to hell because she fell into such a deep despairing depression she hid in her room drinking vodka to kill the pain of the horror of my dads veeeeery long and painful death. She got to the point where you would ask her a question and seemed as though she did not hear you as, it took that long for her to even process someone was speaking to her. In human terms, she did NOT deserve that. She died at 59 years.
You have lot's of good questions brother. And, I'm sure all of us have wondered at the same things from time to time. I do not believe in sinless perfection and have yet to meet anybody BUT Christ who was sinless...AND perfect. So, depending on His Mercy as He sees our hearts is what matters in my book. If we are supposed to be sinless then, there will indeed be very few who make it into His presence for eternity.
God Bless,
nancy
@Nancy I think this is a good verse:

"the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance" (Romans 2.4).

Reactions: Nancy

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you are thinking that the Greek language was of Hebrew origin? Do you think that the Greek language had Jewish and Christian terms?
God created all root languages.

How you get such a crazy ideas from what I wrote I have no clue! I said Greek is one of the languages that came when God confused teh tongues at Babel. It was God who created all languages.

None of that means it was universal or that everyone preferred it or used it.

Well History does and if you bothered to do a little research you would find out you are wrong.

lol Again I will consider the source! It is the Christmas season I feel a little forgiving.

Then I should avoid debating bluntly with you outside of teh Christmas season then. I guess you aren't so forgiving during those times :rolleyes:

lol I will let that pass considering the source lol

Well teh Word of God teachings are easy to set aside when one has their own agenda.

You are thinking that you cannot go to hell because at one time you accepted Christ as your Savior? Again you are knocking on the door of universal salvation.

Presumptiousness is still a sin. You are so wrong, but thanks for playing. See Vanna White on your way out for your non winners prize.

If one received Christ as Savior they have ETERNAL life , not temporary eternal life. Sin is no longer the issue for anyone. Even th e lost! Once again Someone who is lost does not go to the lake of fire for being a sinner!

As it is written Jesus is the propitiation for the sins of the whole World! The lost are lost for they did not receive Christ.

John 3:36
King James Version

36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

People do not stay saved by keeping up with some measure of good deeds and sinning less.

Ephesians 2:8-9
King James Version

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How you get such a crazy ideas from what I wrote I have no clue! I said Greek is one of the languages that came when God confused teh tongues at Babel. It was God who created all languages.

Well History does and if you bothered to do a little research you would find out you are wrong.

Then I should avoid debating bluntly with you outside of teh Christmas season then. I guess you aren't so forgiving during those times :rolleyes:

Well teh Word of God teachings are easy to set aside when one has their own agenda.

Presumptiousness is still a sin. You are so wrong, but thanks for playing. See Vanna White on your way out for your non winners prize.

If one received Christ as Savior they have ETERNAL life , not temporary eternal life. Sin is no longer the issue for anyone. Even th e lost! Once again Someone who is lost does not go to the lake of fire for being a sinner!

As it is written Jesus is the propitiation for the sins of the whole World! The lost are lost for they did not receive Christ.

John 3:36
King James Version

36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

People do not stay saved by keeping up with some measure of good deeds and sinning less.

Ephesians 2:8-9
King James Version

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast
You still looking for homework?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Turn around

When we come to the Lord, we are pretty black inside. When we repent [turn around] that first time, that Light begins to shines within in places and allowing a new man to be born and to grow closer to God. As we grow, are new dark places at time revealed to us that require work? I would say, yes. If they are sins or ways [habits] that when followed would lead us to sin then would we not need to turn around again? [repent anew?] I would say, yes!

I believe that it could be, but that is only my belief. Others perhaps have experienced a complete turn around leaving no dark places within in need of further change or elimination or additional repentance. I like the blind man in Mark 9 needed more than one touch from Jesus. My vision has moved away from blindness... but still for some things, I believe, I am seeing as through a glass darkly.

When we are drawn by the Father do we have to analyze and understand our situation like a well trained and experienced Psychologist before we step out in faith toward Him? Consider the situation of Lot and his wife leaving Sodom. What did they do?

"And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:" I Peter 2:7
"But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt." Gen 19:26

They both seemingly stepped out in faith, but apparently his wife had faith to follow her husband but no real faith in what God was offering and on the very verge of victory, she remembered something from before and looked back. Repentance first or faith first or asking of God first? God knows!

What is a Christian? People use the word all of the time, but without a definition how can anyone even begin to define it. With a proper definition [if there is such a thing understandable to all] then the question may be like the previous one [#4] asking for an analysis an unlearned or unstudied person may not be able to give. Is a proper Bible education necessary prior to beginning to serve God?

Can the heart of a person be changed while the body continues to walk in many of the ways it has always walked? Why did King David have several wives when in Genesis and the words of Jesus in the gospels and the words of Paul in his epistles it seems clear to many [most?] people that marriage is a two person thing? Several wives, yet called the "apple of His eye" and a "man after God's own heart"?

God did not change, but perhaps King David was growing toward God, but just did not make it that far in his walk before his walk was finished. He had finished his course. For David there was no more time, but certainly he had been elevated during his time! Where will each of us believers be at the end of our course? Will we all be the same? Will we all be perfect? Will we all be overcomers? Who among us will come up short in the eyes of God because we ran out of time before we have overcome it all? How long? How high? Etc.?

Does not all of that help us to understand why Jesus said this?

"Judge not, that ye be not judged.
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye" Matt 7:1-3

Who is a qualified judge for each and everyone of us?

If I could, I'd give this 10 thumbs up, awesome!
Yes, repentance is turning away...going in the direction that God leads us in. As new Christians repent, it's hard to see that their initial repentance is only a one time thing as, there are many things in people that they need to turn away from and, it sure did not happen for me overnight or just one time as, there was much to repent of! If we find ourselves walking in the wrong direction...we need to repent (turn around). There are things that we sometimes do not know, yet, that we need to repent of but, if we have ears to hear then, we WILL turn around, amen!

Dec 24, 2020
Springfield
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Define repentance.

wordly repentance cleans the outside and leaves the inside filthy, it cleans the works and leave the ways filthy. Which is the opposite of what Jesus taught, if you allow your ways to be cleaned, it’s enough, the rest will follow.

godly repentance cleans from the inside out, our works are found on the path our feet take us on.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Define repentance.

wordly repentance cleans the outside and leaves the inside filthy, it cleans the works and leave the ways filthy. Which is the opposite of what Jesus taught, if you allow your ways to be cleaned, it’s enough, the rest will follow.

godly repentance cleans from the inside out, our works are found on the path our feet take us on.

Right!

Wordly repentance in the bible is the Greek "Metamellomai" Which means a change of feelings or to just feel bad.

Godly repentance is "metanoia" which is a change of mind and that produces action.

Reactions: farouk
Dec 24, 2020
Springfield
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure what the definition of the words are, it’s what Jesus taught when he washed his disciples feet, if we don’t have our ways washed we will have no part with him.

Dec 24, 2020
Springfield
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Learning definitions of thousands of words is burdensome to me, I’d rather just simply do the things he taught and make sure my own I’m not muddying up that path.

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-24_9-54-20.jpeg
    upload_2020-12-24_9-54-20.jpeg
    597.3 KB · Views: 0
  • A6DD35DE-DA20-47DC-914B-CCDCB8692F38.jpeg
    A6DD35DE-DA20-47DC-914B-CCDCB8692F38.jpeg
    597.3 KB · Views: 0

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Learning definitions of thousands of words is burdensome to me, I’d rather just simply do the things he taught and make sure my own I’m not muddying up that path.

Werll you have already learned definitions of tens of thousands of words. Otherwise your sentences would be nonsense. But yo form sentences based on what you know words mean.

Alsdo if you wish to obey the gospel, you must need to know what teh gosdpel is saying in order to obey it.

Jesus did not say discipleship is easy. for us English speakers, it takes some more work that if we spoke Hebrew and Greek.

Dec 24, 2020
Springfield
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course it’s easy, he doesn’t give us heavy burdens he takes them from us. Men put burdens on us. I don’t need to waste my time studying words, I’d rather just simply follow the life he gave in the things he taught.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit is sufficient to guide you into all truth as you read your Bible in the kjv.

Dec 24, 2020
Springfield
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.”
‭‭John‬ ‭16:13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

I find truth everywhere in life, the last part you said must’ve been left out of my bible.

Dec 24, 2020
Springfield
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:13-14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

no it really isn’t implied here.