ON THE FENCE ABOUT REPENTANCE?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I meant nothing against you personally, @Adoration.

Your situation operated as a springboard by which I was able to make a point.

I'm sorry that you were offended.

(see Psalms 119:165 (kjv)).

That is all I'm going to say about it.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Maybe you are being overly judgmental of some of the people that you have met...judging them to be sinning when in all reality they were not sinning. Often Christ has a different idea of what sin is than we do.

For example, one person judged another on these boards saying that because they were being judgmental, they were not being loving and therefore sinned...

However, the Bible says,

The above is your quote to NANCY... Her comment was that she does not believe in sinless perfection... and that she has not as yet met anyone who has been sinless outside of Christ. You chose to make it personal... and your response was off topic... That is my point.

You did not offend me... This post is about repentence.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The above is your quote to NANCY... Her comment was that she does not believe in sinless perfection... and that she has not as yet met anyone who has been sinless outside of Christ. You chose to make it personal... and your response was off topic... That is my point.

You did not offend me... This post is about repentance.<fify>

The quote from her was this:

I do not believe in sinless perfection and have yet to meet anybody BUT Christ who was sinless...AND perfect.

My response was right on topic.

My point being that what you may consider to be sinful behaviour may in fact not be sinful behaviour...

So, who are you to judge whether someone is entirely sanctified or not?

(I'm not saying that you are the one who is doing the judging).

I personally don't believe that anyone is sinless (see 1 John 1:8); however the people of the Lord can be made perfect (see Hebrews 10:14 (kjv)).

Those who yet have sin indwelling in them, that sin can be rendered dead (Romans 6:6, Galatians 5:24, Romans 7:8) so that it no longer has any say over their behaviour (Romans 6:14).

Thus, there is no contradiction between 1 John 1:8 and other verses (like 1 John 3:9 and 1 John 3:6 w/ 1 John 2:17).

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My point being that what you may consider to be sinful behaviour may in fact not be sinful behaviour...

So, who are you to judge whether someone is entirely sanctified or not?

I think you might want to ask those questions to Gideon since he is the one who is on a mission to WARN the brethren about their sinful behaviour.
I live my life... and I keep out of other's spiritual condition. Sadly... you have taken comments I made on another thread and brought them in here.

I just woke up a bit ago and have not yet had my coffee... I don't think you and I have anything more to discuss... and I apologize for allowing this thread to go off topic @Grailhunter

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you might want to ask those questions to Gideon since he is the one who is on a mission to WARN the brethren about their sinful behaviour.
I live my life... and I keep out of other's spiritual condition. Sadly... you have taken comments I made on another thread and brought them in here.

I just woke up a bit ago and have not yet had my coffee... I don't think you and I have anything more to discuss... and I apologize for allowing this thread to go off topic @Grailhunter
Not a problem...where the Spirit leads us....we can always get back to the topic...maybe there was a message for you...if so...then that is worth the time.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For example, one person judged another on these boards saying that because they were being judgmental, they were not being loving and therefore sinned...

Where did that information come from???? The thread about SIN that Gideon wrote. We are good... let's just move on.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not a problem...where the Spirit leads us....we can always get back to the topic...maybe there was a message for you...if so...then that is worth the time.

I think the message is that I need coffee... Again... my apologies. Bless you.

Reactions: Grailhunter

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Where did that information come from???? The thread about SIN that Gideon wrote. We are good... let's just move on.
Yes, and of course I did not mention that person by name...

Glad to hear that we are good.

yes, let's move on.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Anyways... since I am guilty of going off topic... I will add TO the topic...

I have been thinking about repentance and what someone said about it only being a ONE time thing at the time of conversion.
I am still a bit fuzzy about that thought...

When I have done wrong... and I come before God and talk to Him about my SIN... I say I'm sorry... I ask Him to forgive me... and I pray for strength to do better next time.... I call that entire process REPENTING.

I have never heard it said before that repentance only happens once ( at the time of conversion )... I am thinking the word is perhaps being used differently by different people.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyways... since I am guilty of going off topic... I will add TO the topic...

I have been thinking about repentance and what someone said about it only being a ONE time thing at the time of conversion.
I am still a bit fuzzy about that thought...

When I have done wrong... and I come before God and talk to Him about my SIN... I say I'm sorry... I ask Him to forgive me... and I pray for strength to do better next time.... I call that entire process REPENTING.

I have never heard it said before that repentance only happens once ( at the time of conversion )... I am thinking the word is perhaps being used differently by different people.

I think that the person may mean that everyone begins their lives walking in the direction of sin (Ephesians 2:1). When they repent, they make a 180-degree turn away from sin and towards righteousness. So now, they are walking in the direction of righteousness (seeking first the kingdom of God and His righteousness by studying His word to see what He desires of them). If they sin it can only because they were unaware that the thing in question was a sin. When the Lord makes them aware of it, they do not need to turn around again...they are already walking in the direction of righteousness. They deal with the sin by confessing it. When they do this, the Lord is faithful and just to forgive them and to cleanse them from all unrighteousness.

If sin comes in from the outside again, it can only be because they stopped seeing that thing as a sin or that the thing that they committed they did not see as a sin. When the sin is confessed, it is cleansed as unrighteousness from the heart of the believer. Because the believer is walking in the direction of righteousness, he does not need to turn around again; he is already walking in the right direction.

It is only when in sinning, you repent of your repentance, that you need to repent again when you sin. It is when your sin constitutes an about-face towards the principle of sinning that one would have to "rend your heart and not your garments" and really begin seeking the Lord for deliverance from the state of walking in the direction of sinning.

The one who is born of God has this true of him = Proverbs 4:18.

He is ever walking in the direction of righteousness; and his light will shine brighter and brighter unto the perfect day.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think that the person may mean that everyone begins their lives walking in the direction of sin (Ephesians 2:1). When they repent, they make a 180-degree turn away from sin and towards righteousness. So now, they are walking in the direction of righteousness (seeking first the kingdom of God and His righteousness by studying His word to see what He desires of them). If they sin it can only because they were unaware that the thing in question was a sin. When the Lord makes them aware of it, they do not need to turn around again...they are already walking in the direction of righteousness. They deal with the sin by confessing it. When they do this, the Lord is faithful and just to forgive them and to cleanse them from all unrighteousness.

If sin comes in from the outside again, it can only be because they stopped seeing that thing as a sin or that the thing that they committed they did not see as a sin. When the sin is confessed, it is cleansed as unrighteousness from the heart of the believer. Because the believer is walking in the direction of righteousness, he does not need to turn around again; he is already walking in the right direction.

It is only when in sinning, you repent of your repentance, that you need to repent again when you sin. It is when your sin constitutes an about-face towards the principle of sinning that one would have to "rend your heart and not your garments" and really begin seeking the Lord for deliverance from the state of walking in the direction of sinning.

The one who is born of God has this true of him = Proverbs 4:18.

He is ever walking in the direction of righteousness; and his light will shine brighter and brighter unto the perfect day.

I need to chew on this. Thank you for the heartfelt response... I will share my Christmas cookies with you. Going to spend the day pondering some things I need to think about.... Bless you ( I mean that most sincerely and tenderly )

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I need to chew on this. Thank you for the heartfelt response... I will share my Christmas cookies with you. Going to spend the day pondering some things I need to think about.... Bless you ( I mean that most sincerely and tenderly )
Thank you, sister (?)...

May the Lord also abundantly bless you in the kindest way possible.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YEP... a feisty sister.... who is an only child in real life... and also a recluse... so sometimes I don't play well with others... :D
I'm the third and youngest in my family...my two older brothers, twins, are 8 1/2 years older than me.

I guess you could call me a "spoiled brat"...:D:p:cool:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you are thinking that the Greek language was of Hebrew origin? Do you think that the Greek language had Jewish and Christian terms?

God created all root languages.

There is nothing universal about Koine Greek. At the time you had Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, and Latin was developing. Greek speaking Jews were shunned as traitors.

that is very very incorrect Koine greek was the business language of the day like English tends to be today. Doesn't mean there weren't other languages, but Greek was teh most commonly used there were hundreds of thousands of jews scattered throughout the middle east that could no longer speak Hebrew. that is why teh Septuigant was created by the 70

Why would you want to change your mind about who Jesus is? What causes change? I have already covered this. Why would you repent if you had no intention of changing? I like the mind of Christ and indwelling of the Holy Spirit thing…when do you think that happens?

Those things happen at teh moment of salvation. And you need to change your mind about who Jesus is and what He has done in order to be saved! People cannot be saved unless they change their mind and accept Jesus as Lord and believe that He physically rose from the dead.

I disagree with the thinking that our sins were removed past, present, and future. Sounds like universal salvation stuff. And how does just acknowledging our sins get forgiveness? "Hey Lord, just to let you know I killed my neighbor! Not sorry for it, just acknowledging it. Hope this does not affect our relationship! I might do the other one tomorrow! I will let you know! Have a nice day!

this is an immature answer coming from a lack of understanding.

You can think whatever you wish- but Jesus became our sin and God punished our sin in Jesus. If He did ot pay the price for all your sin- then you are in serious trouble.

Jesus died for everyone's sins, but not everyone is saved. People do nto go ot hell because of their sin, they go to hell because they did not accept christ as Savior.

And biblical acknowledgment is not just lip service. Time and more reading of Gods Word will teach you that.

So you are thinking that the Greek language was of Hebrew origin? Do you think that the Greek language had Jewish and Christian terms?

If you don't believe so, then post a few examples fo words that could not be translated accurately from Hebrew to Greek.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Can you repent sins you do not remember? Repentance when becoming a Christian? And Repentance during your life as a Christian?

@Grailhunter
The meaning of sin is missing the mark, coming short of God's standards, being his enemy even. And this is the sin we must repent of before we can truly become Christians. By this repentance, turning away from our old self centred lives, we can receive God's forgiveness and be adopted into his family - saved, born again.

Once we are born again this sin of separation is wiped out. But alongside our new spiritual selves we still retain much of our old nature and this is the part of us that continues to commit acts or thoughts that are not in line with God's benchmark. And it is these 'sins' that we need to seek forgiveness for as we go through life with Jesus.

I think most of us would say that the longer we have been Christians the easier it is to spot these in our lives; such things as pride, unkindness, impatience etc. Not just the 'biggies'. As the bible tells us:

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

We have been wash clean by the blood of Jesus which has made us whiter than snow but we still nee our feet washed regularly as we have walked in a grubby world.

Reactions: farouk

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the message is that I need coffee... Again... my apologies. Bless you.
I'm on my second cup of fresh roasted Ethiopian Yirgacheffe medium roasted from 3 days ago and made with my aeropress :)

I started roasting coffee several years ago.

ok enough off topic discussion and back to repentance and sin. so let me tie this post into the OP so its not off topic. ;)

BTW- I'm sure there are some who would say roasting coffee and drinking caffeine is a sin and I need to repent :eek:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Grailhunter
The meaning of sin is missing the mark, coming short of God's standards, being his enemy even. And this is the sin we must repent of before we can truly become Christians. By this repentance, turning away from our old self centred lives, we can receive God's forgiveness and be adopted into his family - saved, born again.

Once we are born again this sin of separation is wiped out. But alongside our new spiritual selves we still retain much of our old nature and this is the part of us that continues to commit acts or thoughts that are not in line with God's benchmark. And it is these 'sins' that we need to seek forgiveness for as we go through life with Jesus.

I think most of us would say that the longer we have been Christians the easier it is to spot these in our lives; such things as pride, unkindness, impatience etc. Not just the 'biggies'. As the bible tells us:

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

We have been wash clean by the blood of Jesus which has made us whiter than snow but we still nee our feet washed regularly as we have walked in a grubby world.
Agreed
As far as the meaning of the word sin...for all practical purposes, for Christians, you are correct. It is a matter of detail...
If you were standing with the Apostle Peter and a Roman Officer and you said, I have sinned.
Peter might have discussed your transgression with you.
The Roman Officer might have told you to go get your bow and arrow and he could help hit the target.

The Greek word for sin had no religious meaning to the Greeks. But "missing the mark" had a Hebrew equivalent that meant "missing the mark" so they chose the Greek word to represent a transgression against God or God's Law.

Reactions: Pearl

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald Nolette
God created all root languages.

That has no point within this conversation.

There is nothing universal about Koine Greek. At the time you had Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, and Latin was developing. Greek speaking Jews were shunned as traitors.

that is very very incorrect Koine greek was the business language of the day like English tends to be today. Doesn't mean there weren't other languages, but Greek was teh most commonly used there were hundreds of thousands of jews scattered throughout the middle east that could no longer speak Hebrew. that is why teh Septuigant was created by the 70

None of that means it was universal or that everyone preferred it or used it.

Why would you want to change your mind about who Jesus is? What causes change? I have already covered this. Why would you repent if you had no intention of changing? I like the mind of Christ and indwelling of the Holy Spirit thing…when do you think that happens?
Those things happen at teh moment of salvation. And you need to change your mind about who Jesus is and what He has done in order to be saved! People cannot be saved unless they change their mind and accept Jesus as Lord and believe that He physically rose from the dead.

Define the moment of salvation?

See you said it yourself...you used the word "and" there is a few of them in there.
You have to belief that Christ is Lord...and...Savior...and...Repent-change your mind...and---your ways...and... be baptized.... Now the instant of salvation...we can debate.

I disagree with the thinking that our sins were removed past, present, and future. Sounds like universal salvation stuff. And how does just acknowledging our sins get forgiveness? "Hey Lord, just to let you know I killed my neighbor! Not sorry for it, just acknowledging it. Hope this does not affect our relationship! I might do the other one tomorrow! I will let you know! Have a nice day!
this is an immature answer coming from a lack of understanding.
lol I will let that pass considering the source lol

You can think whatever you wish- but Jesus became our sin and God punished our sin in Jesus. If He did ot pay the price for all your sin- then you are in serious trouble.

Well you got part of it right...want to keep swinging?

Jesus died for everyone's sins, but not everyone is saved. People do nto go ot hell because of their sin, they go to hell because they did not accept christ as Savior.

You are thinking that you cannot go to hell because at one time you accepted Christ as your Savior? Again you are knocking on the door of universal salvation.

And biblical acknowledgment is not just lip service. Time and more reading of Gods Word will teach you that.

lol Again I will consider the source! It is the Christmas season I feel a little forgiving.

If you don't believe so, then post a few examples fo words that could not be translated accurately from Hebrew to Greek.
lol Do you want some homework? I can charge by the session.