Once saved, always saved is a myth.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.” (1 John 2:4)

Here’s one of his commandments:

“…Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.” (John 5:14)

Was Jesus just playing games with us when he said this?

Because according to you sin is inevitable.

What about all the deaths and suffering God inflicted on the ancient Israelites?

Do you think God just went ahead and brought death and destruction for the fun of it on a people incapable of sinlessness and obedience?

And here you perfectly illustrate how to go astray from the word of God.

By citing AT Robinson.

AT Robinson will answer for his work of tearing down the scriptures and remaking them to fit a lie.
And here you have it folks.

A person who thinks he is perfect and has earned his way to heaven.

In effect pumping his chest, praising God he is not like @mailmandan and @Eternally Grateful

Reactions: mailmandan

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It looks like there are some here believe osas is something of virtue. Thank you for everyone taking time to share their thoughts and scripture. It still seems that it’s a myth, to me. It’s a task to die daily to oneself and to put God first. It’s a day to day, looking to God and allowing him to use for his good pleasure and will, while being made free in the spirit and where the spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty, not to go on and cause evil and destruction, but liberty in the Lord by the Spirit to love, having compassion, and understanding which understanding and cherishing it, is a way to love one’s own self, and in turn you will love others.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.” (1 John 2:4)
The Greek word for "keep" is "tereo" which simply means guard, observe, watch over.

Strong's Greek: 5083. τηρέω (téreó) -- to watch over, to guard

1 John 2:3 - By this we know that we have come to know Him, (already know Him/already saved/demonstrative evidence) if we "keep" (Greek word "tereo" - guard, observe, watch over) His commandments. This is descriptive of genuine believers. 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep (guard, observe, watch over) His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. This is descriptive of unbelievers. This does not mean flawlessly obey all of God's commandments 100% of the time and merit eternal life based on our works. That is a big failure for all of us. Including you! (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 1 John 1:8-10)

Here’s one of his commandments:

“…Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.” (John 5:14)

Was Jesus just playing games with us when he said this?
This was specifically addressed to a man who had been an invalid for 38 years. (John 5:5) Jesus was not speaking of sinless perfection. He was warning against a return to sinful lifestyle choices. Just like the woman who was caught in adultery in John 8:11. Jesus told the woman to "go and sin no more." Jesus was telling the woman to go and leave her lifestyle of sin, namely, she had been practicing adultery. Also, Jesus cannot compromise his perfect holy standard, so of course He is not going to say, "go and just sin a little bit."

Because according to you sin is inevitable.
Not according to me, according to scripture. (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 1 John 1:8-10) Sin is not only what we do but also what we fail to do. (James 4:17)

What about all the deaths and suffering God inflicted on the ancient Israelites?
Death and suffering is a consequence of sin for the entire world and not just the Israelites. (Psalm 107:17; Luke 13:2-3; Romans 5:12; 6:23)

Do you think God just went ahead and brought death and destruction for the fun of it on a people incapable of sinlessness and obedience?
If people are capable of sinlessness, then why is nobody (except for Jesus Christ) without sin? (Hebrews 4:15; 1 Peter 2:22) Those who believe they live a sinless, without fault or defect, flawless, absolute perfect life 100% of the time (exactly as Jesus lived) are suffering from a terminal case of self-righteousness. (1 John 1:8-10)

And here you perfectly illustrate how to go astray from the word of God.
I have not gone astray from the word of God. You are a false accuser of the brethren. I just don't embrace your eisegesis.

By citing AT Robinson.
AT "Robertson" (not Robinson). Pay attention. He was a Greek scholar and Christian. Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. Sadly, you choose not to be sharpened.

AT Robinson will answer for his work of tearing down the scriptures and remaking them to fit a lie.
Not hardly. Who are you to judge AT Robertson? (not Robinson). You will answer for your eisegesis that fits a lie. 1 John 1:8 - If we say that we have no sin, (present tense) we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. You say that you have no sin. John is talking to you.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And here you have it folks.

A person who thinks he is perfect and has earned his way to heaven.

In effect pumping his chest, praising God he is not like @mailmandan and @Eternally Grateful
Luke 18:9 - Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ 13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14 I tell you; this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

That parable sounds so familiar to this discussion.

• Love
Reactions: Eternally Grateful

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 18:9 - Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ 13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14 I tell you; this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

That parable sounds so familiar to this discussion.
All that’s been had is disagreement between two parties of people like in politics over the ability to either…

A. Renounce one’s faith as a believer
B. You can’t do that because God keeps you, you are unable to resist
C. God just picks and choose who are his and that’s that, and you may see you’re self as one of the elected while the rest of everyone else goes on to hell.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If we read this scripture we are “ Born Again “ by the word of God.....so, what do you think the word of God is?.....

1 Peter 1:23​

“Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.”

I have no idea why many come up with scripture that’s not even relevant to a Born Again.....if you’ve never received the word of God, which is his seed, the Holy Spirit.....into your hearts, when the Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are God Children, he testifies with our spirit as he’s indwelling our spirit....bringing our spirit Alive to know him...you must be Born Of The Spirit....that’s a Living spiritual rebirth......how can His Spirit leave us, it can’t......as his word says, his Spirit liveth and abideth forever in our hearts.....it must be awful not knowing this....only the Spirit can deliver this spiritual knowledge to the heart of his child....my opinion, testimony and belief .....I knew from day one that I was saved from eternal damnation.as soon as I was Born Of The Spirit....the two go hand in hand....

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we read this scripture we are “ Born Again “ by the word of God.....so, what do you think the word of God is?.....

“Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.”
”Greetings from Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ. To God’s chosen people who are away from their homes—people scattered all over the areas of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia. God planned long ago to choose you and to make you his holy people, which is the Spirit’s work. God wanted you to obey him and to be made clean by the blood sacrifice of Jesus Christ. I pray that you will enjoy more and more of God’s grace and peace. So prepare your minds for service. With complete self-control put all your hope in the grace that will be yours when Jesus Christ comes. In the past you did not have the understanding you have now, so you did the evil things you wanted to do. But now you are children of God, so you should obey him and not live the way you did before. Be holy in everything you do, just as God is holy. He is the one who chose you. In the Scriptures God says, “Be holy, because I am holy.” You pray to God and call him Father, but he will judge everyone the same way—by what they do. So while you are visiting here on earth, you should live with respect for God. You know that in the past the way you were living was useless. It was a way of life you learned from those who lived before you. But you were saved from that way of living. You were bought, but not with things that ruin like gold or silver. You were bought with the precious blood of Christ’s death. He was a pure and perfect sacrificial Lamb. Christ was chosen before the world was made, but he was shown to the world in these last times for you. You believe in God through Christ. God is the one who raised him from death and gave honor to him. So your faith and your hope are in God. You have made yourselves pure by obeying the truth. Now you can have true love for your brothers and sisters. So love each other deeply—with all your heart. You have been born again. This new life did not come from something that dies. It came from something that cannot die. You were born again through God’s life-giving message that lasts forever. The Scriptures say, “Our lives are like the grass of spring, and any glory we enjoy is like the beauty of a wildflower. The grass dries up and dies, and the flower falls to the ground. But the word of the Lord lasts forever.” Isaiah 40:6-8 And that word is the Good News that was told to you.“
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭1‬:‭1‬-‭2‬, ‭13‬-‭25‬ ‭ERV‬‬

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have no idea why many come up with scripture that’s not even relevant to a Born Again.....if you’ve never received the word of God, which is his seed, the Holy Spirit.....into your hearts, when the Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are God Children, he testifies with our spirit as he’s indwelling our spirit....bringing our spirit Alive to know him...you must be Born Of The Spirit....that’s a Living spiritual rebirth......how can His Spirit leave us, it can’t......
Who says? It can t?

You can renounce your faith. And the Holy Spirit moves out from you. You share a scripture right? It’s much better to see it in context.

God gives people what they want. He didn’t force any one to stay.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Who says? It can t?

You can renounce your faith. And the Holy Spirit moves out from you. You share a scripture right? It’s much better to see it in context.
Sorry, I’ve already posted scripture that refutes this.....A Born Again has been Born Again of imperishable seed....do you understand that Mathew and what it means?

How would one know that they have been Born Again of imperishable seed @MatthewG ?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
”Greetings from Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ. To God’s chosen people who are away from their homes—people scattered all over the areas of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia. God planned long ago to choose you and to make you his holy people, which is the Spirit’s work. God wanted you to obey him and to be made clean by the blood sacrifice of Jesus Christ. I pray that you will enjoy more and more of God’s grace and peace. So prepare your minds for service. With complete self-control put all your hope in the grace that will be yours when Jesus Christ comes. In the past you did not have the understanding you have now, so you did the evil things you wanted to do. But now you are children of God, so you should obey him and not live the way you did before. Be holy in everything you do, just as God is holy. He is the one who chose you. In the Scriptures God says, “Be holy, because I am holy.” You pray to God and call him Father, but he will judge everyone the same way—by what they do. So while you are visiting here on earth, you should live with respect for God. You know that in the past the way you were living was useless. It was a way of life you learned from those who lived before you. But you were saved from that way of living. You were bought, but not with things that ruin like gold or silver. You were bought with the precious blood of Christ’s death. He was a pure and perfect sacrificial Lamb. Christ was chosen before the world was made, but he was shown to the world in these last times for you. You believe in God through Christ. God is the one who raised him from death and gave honor to him. So your faith and your hope are in God. You have made yourselves pure by obeying the truth. Now you can have true love for your brothers and sisters. So love each other deeply—with all your heart. You have been born again. This new life did not come from something that dies. It came from something that cannot die. You were born again through God’s life-giving message that lasts forever. The Scriptures say, “Our lives are like the grass of spring, and any glory we enjoy is like the beauty of a wildflower. The grass dries up and dies, and the flower falls to the ground. But the word of the Lord lasts forever.” Isaiah 40:6-8 And that word is the Good News that was told to you.“
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭1‬:‭1‬-‭2‬, ‭13‬-‭25‬ ‭ERV‬‬
What’s your point here Mathew?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, I’ve already posted scripture that refutes this.....A Born Again has been Born Again of imperishable seed....do you understand that Mathew and what it means?
Rita.

You can ask Jesus into your house, you can ask him to leave. He isn’t going to say, no.

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What’s your point here Mathew?
It’s not my point, it’s Peter’s point to those people which is being shared here. The scripture you post doesn’t mean you can not renounce your faith. It just means a person is born in Christ - who is from imperishable seed and incorruptible.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It’s not my point, it’s Peter’s point to those people which is being shared here. The scripture you post doesn’t mean you can not renounce your faith. It just means a person is born in Christ - who is from imperishable seed and incorruptible.
Can you explain what it means to be “ Born Again “ of imperishable seed?

So far you haven’t, so, I can’t take what you post as Gods truth to a “ Born Again “....one must know what “ Born Again “ means in the spiritual sense...imo.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don’t think you may understand how much freedom God gives then, Rita.
Thank you Mathew....no problem....you aren’t understanding the spiritual rebirth, which is Alive in the Spirit.....imo...that’s why we aren’t agreeing.

Once we have been Born Of The Spirit..it would be impossible for God via his Spirit to leave our spirit as his word says.....if you have received his Living word into your heart and have been Born Of The Spirit one would know this...imo and belief.....you don’t need to read the Bible to know we have been saved from eternal damnation....we know that in our spirit as soon as we have supernaturally Born Of The Spirit.we are Born Again by the will of God....

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you explain what it means to be “ Born Again “ of imperishable seed?

So far you haven’t, so, I can’t take what you post as Gods truth to a “ Born Again “....one must know what “ Born Again “ means in the spiritual sense...imo.

Do you see yourself as chosen by God as his elect and there is nothing you can do to change anything involving your faith?

Being born again is going in through the life, death, burial, and resurrection.

You die with Christ,
You bury your old man with Christ,
You raise to newness of life in Christ.

But where in all of this can you “not” renounce one’s faith?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All that’s been had is disagreement between two parties of people like in politics over the ability to either…

A. Renounce one’s faith as a believer
B. You can’t do that because God keeps you, you are unable to resist
C. God just picks and choose who are his and that’s that, and you may see you’re self as one of the elected while the rest of everyone else goes on to hell.
2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. We have been changed. Praise God! To renounce one's faith would demonstrate to me that one's faith was never firmly rooted and established from the start. In scripture, we may see verses in the Bible that "on the surface" appear to teach the loss of salvation, yet we never see the specific words "lose or lost salvation." We also don't see the words UN-saved, UN-regenerated or UN-sealed by the Holy Spirit.

We are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation. (1 Peter 1:5) It's not about unable to resist but don't want to resist. I have more faith in God's preservation (Psalm 37:28; Jude 1:1) than I do in self-preservation. For me to choose to renounce my faith is unfathomable to me! I don't believe that God fatalistically chooses who will be saved and none of us have a choice in the matter, as taught in Calvinism.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you see yourself as chosen by God as his elect and there is nothing you can do to change anything involving your faith?

Yes I was chosen by God and it’s not my faith, it’s God given faith that I have, a precious gift from God....my faith keeps on growing, why, because I was Born Of The Spirit....therefore it will continue to grow and flourish because it was God given...all Glory goes to God!
Being born again is going in through the life, death, burial, and resurrection.

You die with Christ,
You bury your old man with Christ,
You raise to newness of life in Christ.

But where in all of this can you “not” renounce one’s faith?
Jesus had to die and also be resurrected....we also must be Born Of The Spirit....the only way we can become Born Of The Spirit, is through the death and resurrection of Jesus.

We need both....to belong to God as his word says.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. We have been changed. Praise God! To renounce one's faith would demonstrate to me that one's faith was never firmly rooted and established from the start.
How do you know they didn’t have a heart for God though? Can you say that to me for 100% certain?
In scripture, we may see verses in the Bible that "on the surface" appear to teach the loss of salvation, yet we never see the specific words "lose or lost salvation."
No, but you can see there are people who die faithless are on the outside of the kingdom, while the ones whom are blessed for doing the Lords commandments going into the Kingdom.

I believe everyone will receive on behalf of Christ not have to worry about Hell, Satan, or that their Sin was not paid for.

There is unforgivable sin, which is faithlessness, or unbelief which keeps people from entering in.
We also don't see the words UN-saved, UN-regenerated or UN-sealed by the Holy Spirit. We are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation.
And? Just because you don’t see that, doesn’t make it any more true that you can renounce one’s faith… which goes back into unbelieving. (Why people do this or what happens in their life, God only knows but he doesn’t keep anyone who doesn’t want to be with him, lovingly.)
(1 Peter 1:5) It's not about unable to resist but don't want to resist. I have more faith in God's preservation
”Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God has great mercy, and because of his mercy he gave us a new life. This new life brings us a living hope through Jesus Christ’s resurrection from death. Now we wait to receive the blessings God has for his children. These blessings are kept for you in heaven. They cannot be ruined or be destroyed or lose their beauty. God’s power protects you through your faith, and it keeps you safe until your salvation comes. That salvation is ready to be given to you at the end of time. I know the thought of that is exciting, even if you must suffer through different kinds of troubles for a short time now. These troubles test your faith and prove that it is pure. And such faith is worth more than gold. Gold can be proved to be pure by fire, but gold will ruin. When your faith is proven to be pure, the result will be praise and glory and honor when Jesus Christ comes.“
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭1‬:‭3‬-‭7‬ ‭ERV‬‬

That’s okay to have faith. It’s when faithless and unbelieving heart comes.

”So it is just as the Holy Spirit says: “If you hear God’s voice today, don’t be stubborn as you were in the past, when you turned against God. That was the day you tested God in the desert. For 40 years in the desert, your people saw what I did. But they tested me and my patience. So I was angry with them. I said, ‘Their thoughts are always wrong. They have never understood my ways.’ So I was angry and made a promise: ‘They will never enter my place of rest.’” Psalm 95:7-11 So, brothers and sisters, be careful that none of you has the evil thoughts that cause so much doubt that you stop following the living God. But encourage each other every day, while you still have something called “today.” Help each other so that none of you will be fooled by sin and become too hard to change.“
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭3‬:‭7‬-‭13‬ ‭ERV‬‬

(Psalm 37:28; Jude 1:1) than I do in self-preservation.
Jesus, and Paul talked about dying daily. It’s a day to day, choice.
Luke 9:23 Then he said to them all, “If anyone wants to follow after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow me.

”I face death every day. That is true, brothers and sisters, just as it is true that I am proud of what you are because of Christ Jesus our Lord.“
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15‬:‭31‬ ‭ERV‬‬

For me to choose to renounce my faith is unfathomable to me!
To most people it would be, hypocrisy exist within “supposed faith” as well.

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
I don't believe that God fatalistically chooses who will be saved and none of us have a choice in the matter, as taught in Calvinism.
Thank you for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.