Once Saved Always Saved

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our good deeds indicate or demonstrate that we have the righteousness which is by faith was my point. Faith is the root of salvation and good deeds are the fruit, by product and demonstrative evidence of the righteousness of faith. We show our faith by our works. (James 2:18)
If that is the case then why did Paul have to correct the Corinthian Christians for sinning? Didn't they have faith? Why didn't they show it by their works? Why did James accuse the believers of unfaithfulness to God? He affirms they're married to God (they have faith) but says they're unfaithful "adulterers and adulteresses".

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! These many people in Matthew 7:22 had the wrong foundation. They were trusting in their works to save them and NOT IN CHRIST ALONE. Jesus NEVER knew them which means they were NEVER saved.
Why were they able to cast demons out? The seven sons of Sceva, who weren't believers, weren't. What made these men able to use the Name of Jesus? They were believers.

Ezekiel says "if a righteous person turns from his righteousness... his righteousness will not be remembered"--hence statements like "I never knew you" (which is the language used in blotting someone out, the opposite of "confess before My Father"--ie, "deny before My Father") and "they were never of us". You have to understand Scripture through Scripture not import your beliefs into Scripture. When someone is blotted out it is as if he were never there in the first place.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh good grief...
It is not saying "falling into unbelief".
It's interesting how Osas has to jump in to make sure you don't think Paul is saying that those who stand by faith will not be spared because they fell back into unbelief.....

"They were broken off because of unbelief, but you stand by faith. ...if God did not spare the natural branches, He will certainly not spare you either." Romans 11:20-21​

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't you know that loving God/loving others keeps those long lists of 'do's and don'ts' in the NT? The commands to love don't replace them. They keep them. It's interesting how so many in the church think 'love God/ love others' replaces all the other commands in the Bible relieving them of that responsibility.

Agreed. I believe they aspire for loving others to replace all the do’s and dont’s so ACTION can be replaced by EMOTION. As if saying how you feel replaces the more burdensome right ACTION.

OSAS = License to Sin.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OSAS is so ridiculous! What are the odds that none of these who did all those things in the Name of Jesus were never saved? OSAS is a total SCAM!

Matthew 7:22-23 (NKJV)

22 Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?'23 And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our good deeds indicate or prove that we have the righteousness which is by faith was my point.
Yes, I know that was your point. And I agree with that. I was pointing out that you can't automatically assign every argument that says, 'works are the basis for salvation' to the 'self righteous works earn salvation' argument. Because we see in Matthew 25:31-46 that works really are the basis upon which Jesus ushers us into the eternal kingdom or casts us into the eternal fire. And we know he's definitely not making a case for the value of self righteous works. So we have to be careful to examine every 'works are the basis for salvation' argument and see what it's actually saying before we condemn it. For we really are going into the kingdom of God based on our works, just not on the basis of our works earning our entry into the kingdom as payment due for righteous work performed.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are the odds that none of these who did all those things in the Name of Jesus were never saved?

Well, the OSAS crowd invoked this odd ex-post facto fallacy that if someone saved later sins/turns from Christ, they were not ‘really’ saved to begin with.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OSAS is so ridiculous! What are the odds that none of these who did all those things in the Name of Jesus were never saved? OSAS is a total SCAM!

Matthew 7:22-23 (NKJV)

22 Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?'23 And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'
The whole subject of God knowing you, and you knowing God is a dicey one. The Galatians did not know God, yet they were saved. Sometimes 'knowing' is in reference to being saved. Sometimes it's in reference to having a mature relationship. And this is why we even have an Osas debate to even contend with. But if everyone would just focus on the Bible's exhortation to keep believing we wouldn't have to deal with the divisive contentions of the Osas debate brought into the church.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, the OSAS crowd invoked this odd ex-post facto fallacy that if someone saved later sins/turns from Christ, they were not ‘really’ saved to begin with.
Which is funny because then you can't know you are really saved until you see if you keep believing. What's so secure and assuring about that, lol? At least anti-Osas has anyone who believes right now, today, as being genuinely saved today. and they will remain saved as long as they heed the Bible's exhortation to keep believing.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The whole subject of God knowing you, and you knowing God is a dicey one. The Galatians did not know God, yet they were saved. Sometimes 'knowing' is in reference to being saved. Sometimes it's in reference to having a mature relationship. And this is why we even have an Osas debate to even contend with. But if everyone would just focus on the Bible's exhortation to keep believing we wouldn't have to deal with the divisive contentions of the Osas debate brought into the church.
Once Saved Always Saved

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:
We are saved by grace through faith, not by works.
External works, yes. Internal works are a pre-requisite. Many verses have already been provided. If this were not true, universalism would be proper doctrine.
That would be like saying, we are saved by grace through faith, and by internal works, not external works. It is not what scriptures says.

Now we should know and not forget that we are justified by faith in Jesus Christ. We are not justified by faith in Jesus Christ and anything else. And if by faith, then it is not of works, be it internal, external, good, or righteous works, or what have you, for any of that is works.

Tong
R3188

Last edited:
Reactions: BloodBought 1953

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
The thief on the cross confessed Jesus. He was saved. He didn't know a thing about the OSAS hoax.
Yes, he was saved by grace through faith and...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I don’t know anything to add to that.

Tong
R3189

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not what scriptures says.

It is EXACTLY what Scripture says. ‘Work’ in the culture of the Apostles is not how it is taken in today’s culture. To clarify, is why I differentiate between external and internal.

Now we should know and not forget that we are justified by faith in Jesus Christ.

Right. This faith is precisely an example of the kind of internal work that is necessary. A pre-requisite to being saved is to slay the biggest idol in the world, ones own ego! Before one can be saved, one has to do the internal work of overcoming Original Sin in abandoning EQUALITY with God or that one is a god at all.

Christians do a major disservice in reaching out in denying this HUGE pre-requisite work.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If that is the case then why did Paul have to correct the Corinthian Christians for sinning? Didn't they have faith? Why didn't they show it by their works? Why did James accuse the believers of unfaithfulness to God? He affirms they're married to God (they have faith) but says they're unfaithful "adulterers and adulteresses".
Chapter and verse please. All genuine believers are fruitful, yet not all are equally fruitful. (Matthew 13:23) Christians may backslide at times and there are also "nominal" Christians mixed in with genuine Christians throughout various churches and Christian forum sites.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why were they able to cast demons out? The seven sons of Sceva, who weren't believers, weren't. What made these men able to use the Name of Jesus? They were believers.
In Matthew 10:1, we see that Jesus gave His 12 disciples power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease. This would include Judas Iscariot, yet Jesus referred to Judas Iscariot as an unbelieving, unclean devil who would betray Him. (John 6:71; 13:10-11) Apparently, Judas believed that Jesus' name has the power to cast out demons but did not truly believe in His name (John 1:12) and become a child of God, but instead was the son of perdition. (John 17:12)

Ezekiel says "if a righteous person turns from his righteousness... his righteousness will not be remembered"--hence statements like "I never knew you" (which is the language used in blotting someone out, the opposite of "confess before My Father"--ie, "deny before My Father") and "they were never of us". You have to understand Scripture through Scripture not import your beliefs into Scripture. When someone is blotted out it is as if he were never there in the first place.
Ezekiel 18:29 - But the house of Israel says, 'The way of the Lord is not right.' Are My ways not right, O house of Israel? Is it not your ways that are not right? But the house of Israel says, 'The way of the Lord is not right.' Are My ways not right, O house of Israel? Is it not your ways that are not right? Ezekiel 33:13 - When I say to the righteous that he shall surely live, but he trusts in his OWN righteousness and commits iniquity, none of his righteous works shall be remembered; but because of the iniquity that he has committed, he shall die. Did you read that? "If he trusts in his OWN RIGHTEOUSNESS." This is the heart of the matter here. This is describing a righteousness which is by the law rather than that which is by faith. The New Testament states in Romans 10:3 - "For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their OWN RIGHTEOUSNESS, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that BELIEVES.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THAT'S YOU...your burden to BE IN FEAR.

I don't have that BURDEN.
Paul said to have that 'burden'. But it's not a burden. It's like being 'afraid' of the flame on your gas stove. Is that a burden to you? Does that keep you awake at night in fear? No. But I'm confident that you have a healthy fear of it, nonetheless. That's how it is with Paul's admonition to fear falling away from one's standing in faith.

Last edited:
Reactions: GracePeace
Status
Not open for further replies.