OSAS Question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, a nonsensical strawman argument, you use these when you have no other argument

to you it’s a you against osas argument

I will argue the word. Not your hate
Quoting God is hate? If you don't have Christian works you're not a Christian! James said it 3 times to get your attention and you cry "out of context".

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul spoke to people who had faith, grace through faith. No by works of righteousness of any kind which we have done

James spoke to people who CLAIMED to have faith

big difference
You're TWISTING what James said!

James 2:20 (NKJV)
20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quoting God is hate? If you don't have Christian works you're not a Christian! James said it 3 times to get your attention and you cry "out of context".
Paul said if you try to work to earn salvation you are a fool

you can quote James out of context all you want, all you do is make yourself look bad,

romans 11 is not about individual salvation of anyone, period

Reactions: mailmandan

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're TWISTING what James said!

James 2:20 (NKJV)
20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
Nope

you are

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?

he is talking to people who ClAIM to have faith, not people who have faith

these people were not saved because they had no faith, that’s WHY they had no works

ypur stuck on one sentence and ignore the whole passage

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope

you are

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?

these people were not saved because they had no faith, that’s WHY they had no works

If you don't have Christian works you're not a Christian!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope

you are

Amen! In James 2:14, we read of one who says/claims he has faith but has no evidential works (to validate his claim). That is not genuine faith, but a bare profession of faith. So when James asks, "Can that faith save him?" he is saying nothing against genuine faith, but only against an empty profession of faith/dead faith. So James does not teach that we are saved "by" works. His concern is to show the reality of the faith professed by the individual (James 2:18) and demonstrate that the faith claimed (James 2:14) by the individual is genuine. Simple! :)

In James 2:20, "faith without works is dead" does not mean that faith is dead until it produces works and then it becomes a living faith, which would be like saying that a tree is dead until it produces fruit and then it becomes a living tree. James is simply saying faith that is not accompanied by evidential works demonstrates that it's dead. Again, if someone merely says-claims they have faith, but lack resulting evidential works, then they have an empty profession of faith/dead faith and not authentic faith.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul spoke to people who had faith, grace through faith. No by works of righteousness of any kind which we have done

James spoke to people who CLAIMED to have faith

big difference
Of course, you hit the nail on the head. Not disagreeing with you. Even so, earlier in the thread someone talked about "belief as mental ascent" to suggest that mental ascent alone isn't enough. I think James was making the same point in his epistle. And this speaks to the flavor of OSAS doctrine under review. Those who claim that a single, one-time, confession of faith qualifies an individual for a part in the resurrection have oversimplified the concept of faith. To suggest that belief is nothing more than a single confession is a misleading simplification of the idea.

It's easy for us to forget, I think, the significant implications associated with confessions of faith present during the first century when such confessions could cause loss of employment or even loss of life. Today, what can happen to me if I confess Christ? For some in the world, a confession of faith is a dangerous act. For others, not so much.

Anyway, I like where your head is at. Keep up the good word.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They don’t understand, James said no works

How many works is not works? Zero,zip nada,

in this case even 1 work would be considered a living faith, their go to verse destroys their own belief system and they can’t see it

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course, you hit the nail on the head. Not disagreeing with you. Even so, earlier in the thread someone talked about "belief as mental ascent" to suggest that mental ascent alone isn't enough. I think James was making the same point in his epistle. And this speaks to the flavor of OSAS doctrine under review. Those who claim that a single, one-time, confession of faith qualifies an individual for a part in the resurrection have oversimplified the concept of faith. To suggest that belief is nothing more than a single confession is a misleading simplification of the idea.

It's easy for us to forget, I think, the significant implications associated with confessions of faith present during the first century when such confessions could cause loss of employment or even loss of life. Today, what can happen to me if I confess Christ? For some in the world, a confession of faith is a dangerous act. For others, not so much.

Anyway, I like where your head is at. Keep up the good word.
I call the, licentious people who are just as lost as the legalistic people. They teach you can say a prayer and by magic Your saved no matter what,

they do not teach osas, they may claim they do. But they do not

most of the time when these arguments come up, it is workers for trying to attack grace people, they call us all licentious, because because we focus on salvation by faith alone, and not works

we focus on justification not sanctification so we hate works and obedience, which is a lie

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many OSASers are very silent on this. Looks like they also believe unbelievers go to Heaven. Or maybe they are scratching their heads?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many OSASers are very silent on this. Looks like they also believe unbelievers go to Heaven. Or maybe they are scratching their heads?
No person who truly believes in salvation by true living faith believes this

your slandering a faith based on a misunderstanding of the doctrine. Just because some believe it because they do not believe it does not mean the doctrine teaches it

your hatred has blinded you