Outer darkness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
stunnedbygrace said:
So why do we say hell and outer darkness are the same thing and same place just because people will cry and be in distress at going to both places?

"Just because people will cry . . . in both places." Just because? Maybe some one has other reasons to think that? Could be.

Much love!
Could be. Only one way to find out…
What I’ve found is that most people I converse with think they’re the same place. I don’t think scripture bears that out and have given my reasons.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the Hebrew word for the cause:

H5303 (Strong)​

נְפִל נְפִיל

nephı̂yl nephil

nef-eel', nef-eel'

From H5307; properly, a feller, that is, a bully or tyrant: - giant.

Total KJV occurrences: 3

Anyway, you decide for yourself friend, @stunnedbygrace.

Seems we have the intersections of what we like to talk about or not like to talk about at least this was established between us on this topic.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If eternal life can be taken back, it isn’t eternal life, and since I dont see any other way to make all the various verses and parables fit, I come up with a place where more and less stripes are given and a place where purging to remove all dross that didnt happen on earth can happen so we can be with Him.
Is it your idea that the Christian who is given eternal life, may "fail" to the point that they will spent that eternal life in the misery of Outer Darkness?

Is your idea of Outer Darkness the same as the Catholic Purgatory? A final cleansing for a limited time?

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it your idea that the Christian who is given eternal life, may "fail" to the point that they will spent that eternal life in the misery of Outer Darkness?

Is your idea of Outer Darkness the same as the Catholic Purgatory? A final cleansing for a limited time?

Much love!
Hello Marks,
What is your view on it, aside from her view she states?

In the Early Christian Century most people seen the Lake of Fire as a purgative until someone came up with the idea that the Lake of Fire is where you burn at for eternity never getting out with your flesh resides on you in pain.

Considering the Lake of Fire seems to be in front of the angels and the Lamb, in Revelation 14.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first piece I tackle might not be the first piece someone else tackles but that doesn’t matter.
To me, the first piece to deal with is how all humans ever born live forever (albeit in torture) when there IS no eternal life apart from being born again of the Spirit.
This is very dependant on your definition of what Life is. If you idea of life is "activity", you will conclude one thing. If your idea is "connection", you'll conclude another. Eternal life is knowing God, and knowing Jesus. Do you know why that is so?

This is one of the first course building blocks, and if it's not right, the rest won't be either.

The Bible shows the meanings of the words it uses, and a diligent word study will reveal the full meaning of life and death in the Bible.

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is very dependant on your definition of what Life is. If you idea of life is "activity", you will conclude one thing. If your idea is "connection", you'll conclude another. Eternal life is knowing God, and knowing Jesus. Do you know why that is so?

This is one of the first course building blocks, and if it's not right, the rest won't be either.

The Bible shows the meanings of the words it uses, and a diligent word study will reveal the full meaning of life and death in the Bible.

Much love!

Also, one needs to take in what God is like, and what his purpose was, and what his imperative will, also helps in learning what God desires over our own. Which is profound that Jesus said that God sent his own son into the World because He love all people.

It is amazing that our sins were taken care of before we even came into the world - which at first our knowledge is really in the dark, until someone comes along and speaks about God and Christ Jesus in my opinion. That is when light starts to become shown more.

Right marks would you say yes that is good thing?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Strange thing - but it said by Jesus that God so loved the world.

God continues to give life to babies that come out of the womb once they are fully created, after 9 months sometimes some come out a little early but once they take that first breathe they are a created soul in a body.

That is from the breathe of life of God, anyone have any thoughts on that?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the Early Christian Century most people seen the Lake of Fire as a purgative
Did they? Or is it that we have a few books people wrote expressing their view? Maybe the curators of the book collection have something to do with that also, purgatory being their view.

But purgatory, in my view, denies the efficacy of Christ's death. Regarding the Lake of Fire, I consider those very few statements given about it in the Bible to express truth, that those not found written in the book of Life are cast in, that it is a place of suffering, and that "the smoke of their torment ascends forever". That the unrighteous are sent away to "eternal torment".

The statements are fairly simple, the words seem unambiguous, so I accept them.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, one needs to take in what God is like, and what his purpose was, and what his imperative will, also helps in learning what God desires over our own.
Yet, how will you know what He is like, what His purpose is, if you don't use words the same way He does?

Much love!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did they? Or is it that we have a few books people wrote expressing their view? Maybe the curators of the book collection have something to do with that also, purgatory being their view.

But purgatory, in my view, denies the efficacy of Christ's death. Regarding the Lake of Fire, I consider those very few statements given about it in the Bible to express truth, that those not found written in the book of Life are cast in, that it is a place of suffering, and that "the smoke of their torment ascends forever". That the unrighteous are sent away to "eternal torment".

The statements are fairly simple, the words seem unambiguous, so I accept them.

Much love!

Sure thing, I tend to fall in line with John in what he explains in Revelation 21-22, that there are still people alive today that are in the outside of the kingdom, and those in the kingdom.

Totally understandable your view though.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet, how will you know what He is like, what His purpose is, if you don't use words the same way He does?

Much love!

Oh that avoided the question if it is good to try to seek out God in faith. Maybe it is not a good thing to do just stay in oblivious thought on anything of the light then.

Oh well. Thank you marks.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the Hebrew word for the cause:

H5303 (Strong)​

נְפִל נְפִיל

nephı̂yl nephil

nef-eel', nef-eel'

From H5307; properly, a feller, that is, a bully or tyrant: - giant.

Total KJV occurrences: 3

Anyway, you decide for yourself friend, @stunnedbygrace.

Seems we have the intersections of what we like to talk about or not like to talk about at least this was established between us on this topic.
I don’t know what it is you don’t like to talk about…so, no, that hasn’t been established for me. But you could maybe reply only to whatever interests you of what I discuss and ignore what doesn’t?

Some scholars say the cubits of Goliath translate to 9’9” and Ogs bed was 13’ long. And if an entire army of men couldn’t defeat Goliath, and his armor (per scholars) weighed 125 pounds, it just doesn’t sound like a “normal“ man to me. But you can make your own determinations, conclusions and maybes.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know what it is you don’t like to talk about…so, no, that hasn’t been established for me. But you could maybe reply only to whatever interests you of what I discuss and ignore what doesn’t?

Some scholars say the cubits of Goliath translate to 9’9” and Ogs bed was 13’ long. And if an entire army of men couldn’t defeat Goliath, and his armor (per scholars) weighed 125 pounds, it just doesn’t sound like a “normal“ man to me. But you can make your own determinations, conclusions and maybes.

Some people believe the neplhim which they say are aliens.

Whatever, there is much more important topics to talk about, and perhaps that is how I work these days, just going on what I'm interested in, come see about others interests, then just go on a bout life.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people believe the neplhim which they say are aliens.

Whatever, there is much more important topics to talk about, and perhaps that is how I work these days, just going on what I'm interested in, come see about others interests, then just go on a bout life.
I don’t even know what you’re saying or trying to convey at this point, Mathew. You are welcome to go about your life or choose to not enter or discuss in a thread or to leave a thread whenever you like. No one is holding you here. It is sometimes difficult to have a conversation with you though because you haven’t read the whole Bible and often say verses aren’t being discussed when they are because you haven’t read them yet. So…I don’t know what to do with that...I try to give you the verse or verses when you don’t know them but you’ll have to come to your own conclusions or go with someone else’s. I don’t know what else to say. You seem to want to argue this morning. I’m exploring. Learning. That’s what I’m about. (Shrugs her shoulders.) :)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cool sister. I know that no one is holding me here.

Just wanted to share mainly what is found on post number #19 with you. Which was pretty much dismissed for the most part.

My apologies if my words sound harsh, just as you continue to be harsh to me "You haven't even read the Bible" I have though... Especially the New Testament.

Have a good day, and thank you for chatting with me Stunned.
I’m not trying to be harsh. I think you perceive me to be what I am not being. I’m just very matter of fact. I seem to be taken wrong a lot.
Its good to hear that you finally read the whole Bible!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh it is okay, all is forgiven.

I haven't read the whole bible, but mainly the New Testament and bits and piece of the Old.

But whether or not I have read the whole bible doesn't mean anything...

People can read the whole bible, and still condemn and be mean in their heart.

It's about the Lord Jesus Christ, and to live by the spirit, and to love God and Love others.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or maybe there’s a very, very slim chance you’re just repeating what men have told you. Unless…there’s a very, very slim chance those half-remembered commentaries were computer generated rather than spoken by men.

Once you accept and believe what you’re told, you stop learning, because you already think you know.
This could, of course, apply to anyone . . .

Much love!

Reactions: MatthewG

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However I believe that there is a separation in the Heavenly Jerusalem with those being outside the gate, and those who are of faith that desired to have relationship with God, going into the Kingdom.
Oh you added a lot more to the post! I think? Or I missed it in its entirety, one or the other.
im not sure on that. I do think that, during the thousand years, there is an outer darkness. I currently lean toward it not being forever and maybe being done away with after the final battle and the lake of fire. But I’m still learning and theres more to see and understand.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Re: Outer Darkness

One of the advantages I anticipate most in heaven is education as I suspect
that God is keeping a massive, fully comprehensive library that can satisfy
all my curiosity-- an archive of information far exceeding the contents of the
great library of Alexandria.

For example: how did the ancient Egyptians build the pyramids? How did the
people of Easter Island move those massive stone heads into position? Is
there an end to space; and if so, what's on the other side? Things like that;
but also nature's secrets too. How did nature fashion those remarkable rock
formations in Utah? Or carve out the Grand Canyon?

There are many mysteries like those that I sincerely hope to find answers to
some day. But people in Hell won't be allowed access to God's library. They
will never get answers to their deepest questions about the cosmos.

* It's tragic that Carl Sagan went to his grave with his curiosity and so many
scientific questions about the cosmos unanswered. Can you imagine how
delighted Carl would've been to explore Heaven's libraries where everything
to know that can be known about the cosmos is stored? But alas, Carl will
never find out because he was at best an agnostic, at worst an atheist.
_

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This could, of course, apply to anyone . . .

Much love!
I agree. I once accepted eternal torment of mortals and once accepted that those who were given more had less expected of them and those who were given less had more expected of them. And that’s just a few of the things I believed because men said it was so.