Parable of the Fig Tree

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Then He spoke to them a parable: ‘Look at the fig tree, and all the trees. When they are already budding, you see and know for yourselves that summer is now near. So you also, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near. Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all things take place.’” (Luke 21:29-32; Matthew 24:32-35.)

The disciples had asked Jesus (Matthew 24:3) what the sign of his presence and the end of the age would be. One sign would be the budding and leafing of the fig tree and all the trees. Generally, trees represent nations. For example, Ezekiel 31:3 reads, “Assyria was a cedar…” When God symbolizes Israel, He uses a fig tree (Jeremiah 24). The parable teaches that the fig tree and all the trees will leaf out. To interpret: God’s favor returned to the Jewish people and God, Himself, reestablished Israel as a nation in 1948. Respecting the other trees, there were about 80 sovereign nations in 1900. But today, there are almost 200. Thus, the trees leafed out or many nations were established and became sovereign.

Now note verse 35: “when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near. Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all things take place.” This means that the generation which sees Israel regain nationhood will see all things take place. Let us rejoice for very, very soon, Christ’s kingdom will be fully established on earth! In the near future, the promise God gave to Abraham will be fulfilled. Genesis 12:2-3 (NLT), “I will make you into a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and you will be a blessing to others. I will bless those who bless you and curse those who treat you with contempt. All the families on earth will be blessed through you.”

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To interpret: God’s favor returned to the Jewish people and God, Himself, reestablished Israel as a nation in 1948.
I would say God "allowed" the Zionist Movement to establish the secular nation-state of Israel. The Zionists (primarily European Jews) had already rejected the idea of Messiah, and of course rejected Christ. But it was necessary that Israel be established in 1948 in order to fulfil the many prophecies which still need to be fulfilled. However ATER the Second Coming of Christ God will indeed redeem, restore, and reestablish BELIEVING Israel under Christ. Only saved Jews from the twelve tribes will then be in Israel.

Reactions: marks

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However ATER the Second Coming of Christ God will indeed redeem, restore, and reestablish BELIEVING Israel under Christ. Only saved Jews from the twelve tribes will then be in Israel.
Many claim Jesus will literally return and rule "On This Earth" In A Millennium this being false in deception

Jesus warned his followers against this teaching, Jesus wont be found anywhere upon this earth as many claim

The Antichrist will be in Jerusalem, claiming to be Messiah Returned, "Beware"!

"Believe It Not" "Go Not Forth"

Matthew 24:23-27KJV
23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
25 Behold, I have told you before.
26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Revelation 13:13-14KJV
13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,
14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

Revelation 19:20KJV
20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
“Then He spoke to them a parable: ‘Look at the fig tree, and all the trees. When they are already budding, you see and know for yourselves that summer is now near. So you also, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near. Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all things take place.’” (Luke 21:29-32; Matthew 24:32-35.)

The disciples had asked Jesus (Matthew 24:3) what the sign of his presence and the end of the age would be. One sign would be the budding and leafing of the fig tree and all the trees. Generally, trees represent nations. For example, Ezekiel 31:3 reads, “Assyria was a cedar…” When God symbolizes Israel, He uses a fig tree (Jeremiah 24). The parable teaches that the fig tree and all the trees will leaf out. To interpret: God’s favor returned to the Jewish people and God, Himself, re-established Israel as a nation in 1948. Respecting the other trees, there were about 80 sovereign nations in 1900. But today, there are almost 200. Thus, the trees leafed out or many nations were established and became sovereign.

Now note verse 35: “when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near. Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all things take place.” This means that the generation which sees Israel regain nationhood will see all things take place. Let us rejoice for very, very soon, Christ’s kingdom will be fully established on earth! In the near future, the promise God gave to Abraham will be fulfilled. Genesis 12:2-3 (NLT), “I will make you into a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and you will be a blessing to others. I will bless those who bless you and curse those who treat you with contempt. All the families on earth will be blessed through you.”

The lesson/point of Matthew 24:32 is to point to when the Everlasting Kingdom would be established. Genesis 15:16 when understood tells us that in the Fourth Age of Israel's existence that some of Abraham's descendants would return to the Land of Canaan, which God had ripped from Israel because of their continual idolatrous behaviour and as such they no longer had possession of the "Promised Land," which was only for a period of time, i.e., for around 1,500-years, where the end point was beyond their ability to comprehend. In 1948, 4,000 years by my reckoning, after the birth of Isaac, some of Abraham's descendants returned to the land of Canaan in their own strength. The Land of Canaan by this time was no longer their "Promised Land." Ezekiel, the prophet, had already written that the remanent of Israel would remain scattered throughout all of the earth to become the blessing spoken about in the Abrahamic Covenant to all of the nations.

The time indicated by the Parable of the Fig Tree is indicative of the time span from when the Fig tree is seen budding new leaves in the early Spring to when the summer season of Harvest begins. Using the year for a day principle, we can calculate that the establishment of the Everlasting Kingdom will occur in around 20-25 years from this present time during the time of "these kings," as spoken about by Daniel the Prophet, who made up the fifth segment as spoken about in the Statue prophecy.

The next misunderstanding that you mention in your post is associated with verse 34. The Greek word "Genea" does not mean a "descendant generation" as you are probably suggesting, but rather it is referring to a time span of an "age," namely the seventh age, when all of these things take place.

What occurs around the time that God establishes His Everlasting Kingdom? The judgement of the Kings of the earth who over a period of 2,300 years been trampling God's Sanctuary and His earthly Hosts. In Rev 16:12-16 we are told that the Kings of the earth will gather together at a place called Armageddon and there they will be judged. This also lines up with the events found in Daniel 7:11-14.

As Paul tells us in Romans 11:25-26, Israel will not be gathered unto the Lord and be saved until the Judgement of the gentile kings of the earth has taken place when the fullness of the prophesied time period of 2,300 years has drawn itself to its final conclusion.

I trust that this short explanation will help you to understand a little better what God is planning for the end time events that will take place beginning with our near future.​

Reactions: David in NJ

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The disciples had asked Jesus (Matthew 24:3) what the sign of his presence and the end of the age would be. One sign would be the budding and leafing of the fig tree and all the trees. Generally, trees represent nations. For example, Ezekiel 31:3 reads, “Assyria was a cedar…” When God symbolizes Israel, He uses a fig tree (Jeremiah 24). The parable teaches that the fig tree and all the trees will leaf out. To interpret: God’s favor returned to the Jewish people and God, Himself, reestablished Israel as a nation in 1948. Respecting the other trees, there were about 80 sovereign nations in 1900. But today, there are almost 200. Thus, the trees leafed out or many nations were established and became sovereign.

Granted, the fig tree likely refers to Israel. But I would argue that the "Spring" came for Israel with expectation of Messianic Salvation, and instead of Salvation Judgment came. This was the 70 AD Roman judgment.

After all, Jesus was predicting the fall of Israel, and not her Salvation. There would be birth pains for the birth of a new child, but the expectations would fail.

I'm sure Jesus wasn't talking about the rebirth of the modern State of Israel. He was talking about what his own Disciples should expect, beginning with their own generation.

Clearly, it's been more than a generation since Israel became a modern State. 75 years.

Reactions: covenantee

Ronald D Milam

Jan 12, 2022
Clanton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The parable of the fig tree JUXTAPOSES what unto the figs and being able to tell summer is near?

THE SIGNS !!

It tells us LIKEWISE when you see ALL THESE SIGNS..........What signs? The 10-12 signs Jesus gave us in verses 4-31. Well, which was the LAST SIGN? I mean to see them ALL one must see the LAST SIGN right?

Well, lets see the LAST SIGN sees the Sun and Moon go dark !! So, who can see that LAST SIGN? Only those living during the middle of the 70th week when God's Wrath falls and the Sun & Moon darkens up by 1/3 just as Rev. 8 shows us via the Fourth Trumpet Judgment.

So, why do you think this means Israel or any nation? Its juxtaposed against the SIGNS Jesus gave us.

Reactions: Truth7t7

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However ATER the Second Coming of Christ God will indeed redeem, restore, and reestablish BELIEVING Israel under Christ. Only saved Jews from the twelve tribes will then be in Israel.
Of course it is only AFTER the Lord's return, "For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in." Romans 11:25

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Granted, the fig tree likely refers to Israel. But I would argue that the "Spring" came for Israel with expectation of Messianic Salvation, and instead of Salvation Judgment came. This was the 70 AD Roman judgment.

After all, Jesus was predicting the fall of Israel, and not her Salvation. There would be birth pains for the birth of a new child, but the expectations would fail.

I'm sure Jesus wasn't talking about the rebirth of the modern State of Israel. He was talking about what his own Disciples should expect, beginning with their own generation.

Clearly, it's been more than a generation since Israel became a modern State. 75 years.
And when was this fulfilled?

For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. - Romans 11:25

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And when was this fulfilled?

For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. - Romans 11:25
Rom 11.25 is the Jewish Diaspora, at which time only a remnant of Jews believe in Christ. Their blindness ends, as a nation, when Christ returns.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The next misunderstanding that you mention in your post is associated with verse 34. The Greek word "Genea" does not mean a "descendant generation" as you are probably suggesting, but rather it is referring to a time span of an "age," namely the seventh age, when all of these things take place.​
Your a Greek Scholar now, smiles!

Where did you obtain your Doctorate from, Oxford, Yale, Cambridge?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Your a Greek Scholar now, smiles!

Where did you obtain your Doctorate from, Oxford, Yale, Cambridge?
Obviously not from the same place that you got your Religious doctorate from.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Biblical interpretation errors in just about every... post on this matter.

Christ's parable of the fig tree He gave in His Olivet discourse after He had just finished giving the 7 main SIGNS of the end leading up to His future return, is indeed about the establishing of Israel in His future Kingdom per prophecies like in Ezekiel. But that establishing is not simply for the 'seed' of Israel, but also for believing Gentiles in those lands God promised Abraham. Christ Church inherits with Abraham, is what Apostle Paul taught in Galatians 3. So one teaching a Jewish only doctrine about that establishing haven't interpreted the Scriptures properly.

Also, the idea Jesus gave about 'generation', is about the subject of whichever 'generation' SEES all those things (i.e., the Signs He gave), that generation won't end until ALL those things come to pass. He was talking about the Signs as all these things seen, and His future coming was the final Sign He gave in His Olivet discourse, so 'which' generation would that naturally mean? The final generation on earth that will literally 'see' Christ's future return. It's that simple.

In Jeremiah 24 is part of the parable of the fig tree, because God showed His prophet Jeremiah 2 baskets of figs, one basket that was juicy, ripe, sweet, ready to eat. But the other basket of figs were like poison, 'evil' figs. God then reveals He was pointing to people, the good basket of figs as His people Judah (Jews), and the other basket of "evil" figs He does not reveal, but that He would bring both of those peoples back to the holy land, and not take them out again. This last idea is very important.

The last scattering of the Jews from Jerusalem-Judea was in 70 A.D. by the Roman army. And only little by little some of the Jews began returning, but only in 1948 did the largest number return, and by U.N. Charter vote Israel became a nation again, as it still is to this day. Now if today's Jews are NOT... removed again, by another future captivity, then the 1948 return represents the Jeremiah 24 prophecy of the return of just the two baskets of figs, Judah, and the other.

Now only someone who is familiar with the Biblical subject of the "mystery of iniquity", "tares", and "crept in unawares" will understand who that basket of 'evil' figs represents that returns with the good basket of figs (Judah). That is for our times at the 'end', not for when Jesus returns in the future. It will be that evil basket of figs which will setup the unbelieving Jews to bow to a false-Messiah those evil figs will present to the world.

Reactions: Keraz

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The parable of the fig tree JUXTAPOSES what unto the figs and being able to tell summer is near?

THE SIGNS !!

It tells us LIKEWISE when you see ALL THESE SIGNS..........What signs? The 10-12 signs Jesus gave us in verses 4-31. Well, which was the LAST SIGN? I mean to see them ALL one must see the LAST SIGN right?

Well, lets see the LAST SIGN sees the Sun and Moon go dark !! So, who can see that LAST SIGN? Only those living during the middle of the 70th week when God's Wrath falls and the Sun & Moon darkens up by 1/3 just as Rev. 8 shows us via the Fourth Trumpet Judgment.

So, why do you think this means Israel or any nation? Its juxtaposed against the SIGNS Jesus gave us.
I Agree!

The fig tree and its bud is no different than any other fruit tree

The parable is simply stating when the future generation witnesses the signs in the heavens and earth know that the second coming is near, "It's That Simple"

It's absolutely laughable how people buy into the Israel fig tree baloney, 1948 Israel became a nation, the fig tree buded, "Real Big Smiles"!

Jesus Is The Lord

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Biblical interpretation errors in just about every... post on this matter.

Christ's parable of the fig tree He gave in His Olivet discourse after He had just finished giving the 7 main SIGNS of the end leading up to His future return, is indeed about the establishing of Israel in His future Kingdom per prophecies like in Ezekiel. But that establishing is not simply for the 'seed' of Israel, but also for believing Gentiles in those lands God promised Abraham. Christ Church inherits with Abraham, is what Apostle Paul taught in Galatians 3. So one teaching a Jewish only doctrine about that establishing haven't interpreted the Scriptures properly.
You're certainly welcome to your opinion. I personally believe that Christ spoke, in the Olivet Discourse, not just about his 2nd Coming, but about the destruction of the temple, as well. In fact, he initially spoke only of the destruction of the temple. Questions about his 2nd Coming, in association with that, came later.

So the "signs" that you speak of did not all have to do with the 2nd Coming. The sign of the 2nd Coming itself was Jesus' Coming from heaven, as opposed to some earthly king declaring himself to be Messiah. Prior to that, the primary signs Jesus gave he called "birth pangs," indicating that a child was about to be born.

What child was about to be born? It was not the rebirth of the State of Israel in 1948, but rather, the events of his generation leading up to the destruction of Jerusalem. The child to be born was then actually the polar opposite to what should've happened. The Messiah should've been received, and Israel should've been delivered. But instead, the Jewish People rejected their Messiah, and their temple worship was destroyed, and along with it the covenant of Law. Instead of blessing they would receive cursing, for the entire NT age!

Therefore, the generation that saw and experienced these "birth pangs" also saw the aborted hope of Israel's Salvation, the death of Christ and his departure to heaven. This generation did not witness the rebirth of the State of Israel in 1948, but rather, the failure of Israel to obtain their national salvation.

John 16.20 Very truly I tell you, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy. 21 A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. 22 So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy.

The Church saw the birth of Christianity, but it was a heavenly victory. The earthly deliverance of Israel and of the many nations eventually won to Christ will take place at the 2nd Coming.

On the other hand, Israel as a majority had fallen into unbelief, and rejected their Messiah. As a result the birth pang signs led to the destruction of the temple and the removal of blessings promised under the former covenant.

The reason many buy into the argument that these are 2nd Coming signs is because Jesus said "all these things will take place" in this particular generation, thinking that "all" would include the sign of Christ's Coming as well. However, the word "all" is governed by the context, which means that Jesus was referring specifically to "all" things associated with the destruction of the temple, including its "birth pangs." This all took place in the generation of Jesus.

Look at how the word "all" is used here. Clearly, it does not always mean "all" in the exhaustive sense, when the context plainly assumes that "all" has a specific application and not encompassing everything universally.

1 Cor 15.27 For he “has put everything under his feet.” Now when it says that “everything” has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ.

In this verse, Paul is arguing that "everything" functions only in a specific direction, and cannot be taken in the exhaustive sense of including "everything," God included. "Everything" excludes "God!"

In the same way, "all these things" excludes Christ's 2nd Coming. It contextually means to apply particularly and exclusively to the time directly prior to the destruction of the temple in 70 AD.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're certainly welcome to your opinion. I personally believe that Christ spoke, in the Olivet Discourse, not just about his 2nd Coming, but about the destruction of the temple, as well. In fact, he initially spoke only of the destruction of the temple. Questions about his 2nd Coming, in association with that, came later.

So the "signs" that you speak of did not all have to do with the 2nd Coming. The sign of the 2nd Coming itself was Jesus' Coming from heaven, as opposed to some earthly king declaring himself to be Messiah. Prior to that, the primary signs Jesus gave he called "birth pangs," indicating that a child was about to be born.
The error you make is with your trying... to separate Jesus' prophecy about not one stone atop another at the temple mount area having been fulfilled in 70 A.D. with the destruction by the Romans, even though... today... there are STILL HUGE STONES one atop another in that area. So really the 'theory' you are on (which is not yours by the way, but from men's seminary doctrines of Preterism), has you tethered to a short rope limiting your understanding of the Signs of the end Jesus gave.

When Lord Jesus said that the generation that SEES "all these things", the destruction of those stones was included. With Christ's future return, there WILL be a destruction of this coming 3rd temple to be built by the coming Antichrist at the end of this present world. We 'know' this for certain per God's Word simply because the Ezekiel 40 thru 47 temple is for the time of Christ's future "thousand years" reign of Rev.20.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The error you make is with your trying... to separate Jesus' prophecy about not one stone atop another at the temple mount area having been fulfilled in 70 A.D. with the destruction by the Romans, even though... today... there are STILL HUGE STONES one atop another in that area. So really the 'theory' you are on (which is not yours by the way, but from men's seminary doctrines of Preterism), has you tethered to a short rope limiting your understanding of the Signs of the end Jesus gave.
How many times I have to tell Christians like you that this is *not* Preterism! This belief that the Olivet Discourse was primarily about the destruction of the temple is exactly what is written in Scriptures and was believed by the Church Fathers well before Preterism even existed! So you've made this into an illegitimate talking point. And I have no wish to continuously exchange viewpoints in this regard.

Belief that a prophecy of Jesus was historically fulfilled is not the definition of Preterism. All Christians believe that biblical prophecy has historical fulfillment. So your claim about Preterism is false--absolutely false. Your argument would make *you* a Preterist!
When Lord Jesus said that the generation that SEES "all these things", the destruction of those stones was included.
No. Again, this idea that "all these things" must include the 2nd Coming has been debunked regularly. Any phrase is applied *in context.* A simple reading of the following verses will show you this...

1 Cor 15.27 For he “has put everything under his feet.” Now when it says that “everything” has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ.

Put simply, Paul here argues that "everything" does not mean "everything" in context. Some things are excluded.

So "all these things" do not refer to everything Jesus mentions. They do not include Jesus' Coming, which Jesus explicitly indicated would follow "all the things" associated with the Fall of the Temple, including the "birth pains" leading up to that event.

So I've said this many times. You can continue with your talking points, but they do not address my points at all.

Reactions: Jim B

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, and one generation equals 70-80 years according to Pslam 90:10. We are close!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's also the generation of 120 years per Genesis 6.
Plus... the false-Messiah must show up in Jerusalem, and be crowned king, with the 3rd temple built and old covenant worship by the orthodox Jews started again. That will be a time when the "one world government" will manifest over all nations and peoples, and Jerusalem will be the center of focus. So we've got to see those things coming first.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Plus... the false-Messiah must show up in Jerusalem, and be crowned king, with the 3rd temple built and old covenant worship by the orthodox Jews started again. That will be a time when the "one world government" will manifest over all nations and peoples, and Jerusalem will be the center of focus. So we've got to see those things coming first.
The rapture of the Church before the seals are opened is the next event that will happen. We are told to watch for the coming of the Messiah, not for the Antichrist

Reactions: GISMYS_7